• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official AMIGA "Rosetinted" Thread

dejay

Banned
MikeB said:
@ dejay

Other good Amiga flight sims:

Falcon

Foto+Falcon:+The+F-16+Fighter+Simulator.jpg

Gunship 2000

4923_0.png

gunship2000.png

Gunship2000_1.png

Ahh - Falcon. I still remember the sound of the missiles launching - quite distinct.

And Gunship 2000 was awesome. I remember playing a previous Gunship game on C-64 at my mate's house and loved it, so I was in heaven when Gunship 2000 came out on Amiga with the superior graphics.

cs060mk2

Dimmuxx said:
That was the first game that I played that was translated to swedish. I have no idea why it was translated to swedish though maybe the developers were swedish or something.

PS. my new custom title is awesome!

The translation is supposed to be great and not like a typical translation where jokes are not correctly translated or replaced by other jokes.

MikeB

Banned
Praised by Amigans as one of the best RGPs of its time, I think Thalion's Ambermoon deserves a more pronounced place in this thread. Pre-dating the 'The Elder Scrolls series', this is similar to the currently very popular Oblivion. The 3D engine looked and performed better with expanded OCS/ECS Amigas. One of the biggest games on the Amiga.

intro_12.jpg

intro_13.jpg

intro_15.jpg

intro_31.jpg

kampf_k.jpg

4.GIF

6.GIF

10.GIF

29.GIF

31.GIF

15.GIF

26.GIF

27.GIF

22.GIF

24.GIF

image1.gif

image5.gif

ambermoon_10.jpg

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
cs060mk2 said:
The translator was Göran Fröjdh, the guy from the Swedish magazine Datormagazin who reviewed lots of adventure games and previewed PC games that would eventually end up on the Amiga in the mag.

The translation is supposed to be great and not like a typical translation where jokes are not correctly translated or replaced by other jokes.

Oh, nice to know..

MikeB

Banned
Although the sequel to Alien Breed 3D has a far more advanced game engine, the original is more polished, provides more vibrant colors, and plays much better on a 14 Mhz A1200 with some fastram (seperate higher speed fastram is quite a bit faster than an unified graphics/CPU chip memory alone, a benefit, don't believe XBox 360 fans regarding this. ;-)). An excellent game!

ab3d.jpg

screenshot_alienbreed3d_amiga01.jpg

alienbreed3d.jpg

Better screenshots:

http://hol.abime.net/3235/screenshot

Trex Warrior was is IMO a good game for the A500, with rather unique 3D battle arenas. IMO a Thalion classic. It was fun chasing those speedies, destroyers and miners. The game came for free with CU Amiga magazine!

cover.jpg

pilot.gif

http://hol.abime.net/1506/screenshot

Thalion was rather good at producing some of the most convincing A500 polygon based games.

No Second Prize (fast & fun)

NoSecondPrize.jpg

nsp1.JPG

nsp2.JPG

My favourite Amiga games magazine in the good old days:

a_scuzz_nov06_05.jpg

Currently subscribed to the English version of:

2.jpg

cs060mk2

Trexwarriors was f***ing awesome. I finished that game once it was one of the best A500 games I played.

I played Shufflepuck Cafe also, I progressed quite nicely in the game but eventually I met the final boss, that pig. He was so difficult to win over that I threw my mouse on the wall. To bad it was a nice microswitched mouse and it got destroyed thanks to that game :(

GaryD

cs060mk2 said:
Trexwarriors was f***ing awesome. I finished that game once it was one of the best A500 games I played.

I played Shufflepuck Cafe also, I progressed quite nicely in the game but eventually I met the final boss, that pig. He was so difficult to win over that I threw my mouse on the wall. To bad it was a nice microswitched mouse and it got destroyed thanks to that game :(

I nicknamed my dad as "skip" after playing shuffle puck cafe. Looks identicle (unfortunatly for my dad)

stressboy

This thread has had me intrigued. I love playing older games and I always felt like I missed out on this when they were brand new(was a console kid).

If someone was to go looking for an Amiga(ebay, etc.), what would you recommend they look for?

MikeB

Banned
@ stressboy

An Amiga 500 with 1MB RAM would allow you to play a majority of Amiga games, however with annoyances like loading times and disk swapping.

A500.jpg

Some A500 commercials:

http://www.commodorebillboard.de/Commercials/Amiga/english/Videos/AmigaAdCelebLong.mpg

http://www.commodorebillboard.de/Commercials/Amiga/english/Videos/AmigaAdAward.mpg

http://www.commodorebillboard.de/Commercials/Amiga/english/Videos/AmigaAdHouse.mpg

If you prefer more comfort and the ability to play nearly all Amiga games I think this would be a good setup:

A1200 + 030 50 Mhz upgrade board + ~4 MB fastram + ~1 GB 2.5 inch internal harddrive.

With such a setup you can comfortably play nearly any Amiga game from the harddisk in a nice small casing, often with additional enhancement/ fixes, using WHDLoad:

http://whdload.de/

More demanding later released games like Gloom Deluxe, XTR racing, T-zero (CD based) will perform well.

A1200.jpg

If you can get one cheap, an A4000 (040 or 060) would be good as well, these systems were mainly aimed at professionals and offer lots of expansion options without modification:

A4000T.gif

a4000.jpg

MikeB

Banned
MikeB wrote:

If you can get one cheap, an A4000 (040 or 060) would be good as well, these systems were mainly aimed at professionals and offer lots of expansion options without modification:

Amigas were used in many professional settings, for instance for movies like "Honey, I Blew Up the Baby" (Effects produced by Anti-Gravity Workshop), "The Lion King" (animation), Dinosuar (video overlaid graphics, Video Toaster), Jurrasic Park (Lightwave), "Terminator II" (Amiga generated morphs), etc. And series like "Animaniacs" and"Babylon 5" (Lightwave).

Amigas were also used by NASA, Amigas were used in various NASA laboratories to keep track of multiple low orbiting satellite:

amiganasa4.jpg

Amigas also pioneered with Virtual Reality, for example the US and Israeli military used Amigas for flight simulation.

An A3000 based virtual reality gaming system:

1000cs.jpg

Dactyl Nightmare (1991, Amiga 3000 based, pre-Doom / Wolfenstein 3D era)

B&W screenshot:

12493_1.png

Amiga History Guide:

"The Dactyl Nightmare experience has two derivatives. The pistol based "shoot-em-up" version, and a more advanced hand to hand combat version known as "Capture the Flag". The World's first discrete entertainment experience places the player in a surreal world of chequered platforms and Escher -like pillars and archways. Designed as a one to four player interactive Experience, in Training Mode the player must simply seek and destroy the other animated beings trapped in this alternative world with them -usually other human opponents in linked Cyberspace systems!
Advanced Mode brings axes, shields and crossbows, and more involved "Capture the Flag" gameplay where players must co-operate towards a common goal -bringing longevity to an easy-to-understand concept. The player soon forgets it's a world of fantasy, plunged into an ultrareal setting trying to avoid the menacing intentions of giant swooping pterodactyls in this game of unprecedented realism."

Grid Busters
gridbuster.gif

Virtual reality headset to play Gloom Deluxe, hopefully some day we'll see something like this for the Playstation 3:

iglasses.jpg

MikeB

Banned
According to AmigaWorld.net and Amiga.org, Vulcan and Amiga are working on some kind of seamlessly playable classic Amiga games, playable across different platforms. Details are a little sketchy right now, if this is Amiga Anywhere (a mullti-platform layer Amiga worked on next to AmigaOS 5) and/or UAE related:

"“The new Amiga offering makes playing these very fun titles simple. Just click and you are playing. It is great to be working with Amiga again, and our relationship will be growing into other areas as well”, said Paul Carrington President of Vulcan Software Limited

With the new Amiga Classic Game Player a customer need only to select the game they want to play, download it to their computer, install, click and play. It is seamless fun, and reminds everyone of why we started using computers for gaming to begin with."

http://www.amiga.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=7327
http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=3783

Some of the games Vulcan published, apart from the awesome Genetic Species:

Uropa2 (any Amiga 2MB Ram, CD)

picture1.gif

picture2.gif

picture4.gif

Final Odyssey (any Amiga 2MB Ram, CD)

picture1.gif

picture3.gif

picture7.gif

JetPilot (Any Amiga 1MB Ram, diskette)

picture4.jpg

Tiny Troops

picture2.gif

picture3.gif

picture4.gif

MikeB

Banned
Vulcan also published Strangers, a nice Renegade clone with fun 6-player multiplayer.

strangers.jpg

str01.jpg

str02.jpg

str03.jpg

Due to no new hardware been made since 1994, Vulcan eventually published their last classic Amiga game in 1998, cancelling several of their other projects.

Superfrog

MikeB said:
Amigas were used in many professional settings, for instance for movies like "Honey, I Blew Up the Baby" (Effects produced by Anti-Gravity Workshop), "The Lion King" (animation), Dinosuar (video overlaid graphics, Video Toaster), Jurrasic Park (Lightwave), "Terminator II" (Amiga generated morphs), etc. And series like "Animaniacs" and"Babylon 5" (Lightwave).

Not to forget the infamous series "seaQuest DSV" (bridge screen interfaces and parts of the special effects were done with Newtek Video Toasters on Amigas).

Porkepik

I have a pal CD32 and a pal A500 at my parents home in belgium. Do any of you knows if there is any way to connect it to a NTSC monitor (1084 I could buy one) or TV, because I live in canada and I would be tempted to bring them back next time I visit my parents
Also I have a 110v -> 220v upconverter at home but do a standard A500 US power supply would work on the pal amiga.

I have so much good memories of these games, defender of the crown made me buy(well ask as a gift) the a500, the cd32 was bought by some insurance money we received from the theft of an old C128 that was stolen in a computer repair center.

Best memories: Hybris, speedball 2, Rocket ranger, Sensible soccer, Railroad tycoon, Pirates, Shadow of the beast, agony,... I have to say that I nearly bought no genuine games, only had copies (well anyway would not have bought as I had no money so no loss here for the publisher) but I think I redeemed myself since I started to work, I think I have bought at least for 20-30k$ of games since mid nineties.

MikeB

Banned
@ Porkepik

(1084 I could buy one)

Many TVs support both PAL and NTSC input, alternatively you can add a SX32 expansion to add SVGA/RGB/SCART ports to connect to a monitors/TVs. You can build the CD32 into a full computer.

sx32info2.jpg

MikeB

Banned
The first few mini-series Vulcan games are now available at Amiga.com. The games can be played on smartphones, PDAs and desktops and so appears to be AmigaAnywhere and UAE or some kind of other classic Amiga emulator based.

User hands-on from AmigaWorld.net:

"$5 well spent.

Download was small (1.4meg), Installation is straight-forward and Hillsea Lido is still ace!

The installer only installed a single file (HillseaLido.exe) and a separate savefile was created when the game was run.

Loading time is non-existent, but the game only runs full screen and there's no filtering options to make it look less blocky on this 19" TFT."

I haven't played most of those classic Amiga games made available myself, but Invasion and PlanetZed (like Xenon II) by ZeoNeo for AmigaAnywhere are very good PDA/Smartphone native AmigaAnywhere games I own. ZeoNeo has also partipated in AmigaOS4 development.

invasion4.png

invasion3.png

Gowans

MikeB said:
I've found a cheesy GamePro video at youtube showing Dactyl Nightmare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ybu7Q5uK6k

Note this was released in a pre-Doom / Wolfenstein 3D era. Deathmatch and capture the flag modes, genuine 3D with multiple hight levels unlike the Wolfenstein 3D FPS.

MikeB you really must skulk around the depths of the internet :D great find $60,000!!!
I rember seeing this as the future on tv as a kid and being in awe and obviously wanting one.

Whats the Amiga link? maybe you should start a thread for 80's gaming PC's?

as for the presenter well the less said the better!

Gowans

God really, man the 3000 could push them pollys :D

As a personal home computer surly the Amiga had marketshare in the UK? everyone I knew had one, man it makes it demise sad!

Philthy

MikeB said:
I've found a cheesy GamePro video at youtube showing Dactyl Nightmare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ybu7Q5uK6k

Note this was released in a pre-Doom / Wolfenstein 3D era. Deathmatch and capture the flag modes, genuine 3D with multiple hight levels unlike the Wolfenstein 3D FPS.

I remember this. My friend and I were just starting high school and were huge Amiga freaks. We saw this in a UK mag and it said how they were hoping to add in swords and traps and stuff, and other people could explore a dungeon together. Our dreams of playing a multiplayer 3D Dungeons and Dragons game were started. Eventually Everquest granted us that dream, but it's too bad because the idiot killed himself over a high school girl before we could play the damn game together.

Gowans

Lemming_JRS said:
Sorry to bump this old thread, but I just learned about this amazing resource:

http://amr.abime.net/

The Hall of Light website has just created an extensive archive of old Amiga magazine scans - Amiga World, Amiga Power, Amiga Format, Zzzap!, The One... they're all in there.

Link to first issue of Amiga Power: http://amr.abime.net/issue_1_pages

Thanks Man!
Guess Ive found my bed time reading for the next few weeks :D

Gold everytime this thread is bumped.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Gowans007 said:
God really, man the 3000 could push them pollys :D

As a personal home computer surly the Amiga had marketshare in the UK? everyone I knew had one, man it makes it demise sad!

I used to work with the Virtuality machines a long time ago. It had an A3000 with a ton of custom graphics acceleration in it.

Dactyl Nightmare was a fantastic game. It actually would still hold up today. It had full tracking on both the arm and the head... you could duck, lean your hand out around a pillar to shoot, jump (although you could potentially sprain your neck jumping from the weight of the HMDs). I'd actually really like to play it again... thought I doubt there are more than 3 working Virtuality machines left in the world. They required constant maitenence.

The D&D game, where you had 4 different classes and explored a dungeon was pretty damn good as well. This was, as someone mentioned, just before Doom came out. Being networked with three other people in a 3D world while exploring a dungeon was unheard of. The sword combat was actually quite fun as well given the full hand tracking. It suffered though, because there was no feedback when swords hit eachother or any other surface... they would just pass right through. Which is why I think a "dueling lightsabre" game on the Wii would never really work.

Anyhow, there was eventually a "Version 2" of these machines released, which ran on 486s. I believe there was still a bit of Amiga hardware in these as well. The games on these later revisions were absolutely terrible, however. The remake of Dactyl Nightmare was a travesty.

AIRic

1000cs.jpg

WOAH! Never thought I would see this machine another time in my life! The Crystal Palace in Moncton, NB, Canada had one of these baby! I remember playing it in their Internet zone (The internet was brand new unheard stuff!). It was costly to play, but It was an incredible experience for the time. Awesome!

amrum

These were awesome point & click games.

Future Wars: Time Travellers

966635260-00.gif

966635324-00.gif

966635641-00.gif

Operation Stealth (aka James Bond: The Stealth Affair)

1034979568-00.gif

1034979608-00.gif

1034979644-00.gif

Maupiti Island

1083608619-00.png

1083608620-00.png

1083608620-03.png

lilltias

I just played through Moonstone and had to tell someone! It's great, I love it. The deaths...oh my. Best deaths ever in a game.

The game is broken in some ways, but I don't wish to dwell on that here. Four player too. I remember my first meeting with the dragon. I got chewed. Later on i found a way to slay the dragon without taking any damage. The witch in the end was harder. The scariest monster, I think, was the swamp thing. You had a couple of seconds when they appeard out of the ground to time your attack, if you missed you were dead. :D

moonstone3.jpg

Amiga times, the best times.

Fardo NL

I still have my amiga 500 and my Amiga CDTV somewehere at the attic. Before I was a Xbox fanboy I was a commodore fanboy :D

nultse

wow @ Hunter, how could I have forgotten that game.

Hunter was way ahead of its time. It had huge 3D free roaming world of network of dozen islands. Drivable vehicles like cars, trucks, boats, helicopters and even hovercraft if recall correctly. You could interact with few other inhabitans and of course shoot them :lol speaking of which Hunter featured weapons from small firearms to ground-to-air missiles.

Summa summarum Hunter had almost everything that GTA3 featured exactly ten years after, oh and you could even swim in Hunter, though the sharks were annoying as hell.

I want PS3 & 360 Hunter sequel !

edit: gameplay video from youtube

edit pt.2 : I love this thread so much.

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
Label said:
Oh boy am I glad to see the amiga get so much appreciation!

I see nobody has mentioned:
Foto+Fury+of+the+Furries.jpg

I used to love that game! until I lost the manual and I could not play it anymore :(

As well as all the classics which have been mentioned :D

My personal favourites were Cannon Fodder, Alien breed, James pond, Zool 1 & 2, Stardust, Speedball 2, Flashback. Ah hell the list is too long :lol

As well as all the free little games that came free with the Amiga mags! some were great! one game called Goblins (an adventure game to do with maths) or something had me and my mate hooked for days and days!

I do remeber Cannon Fodder 2 being so damned hard!! and I thought level 99 of Cannon Fodder 1 was hard until I played that game :lol

Somebody else who played Maths Goblins?

I thought I dreamed that game :D

Gowans

God I remember playing Fury of The Furys with my friends after school,

Its such a shame so many of these games are lost forever, would be great to see an online service offering these up for nosaliga factor. Guess half of them have no owners any more.

I would happily get some roms & a emulator and play through some again, maybe we should start a club and play a game a week and talk about it/reminis here in the thread? (then again could backfire and good memorys could be shattered :D )

EDIT:

After reading this thread again had to make a spin off dedicated to the machine I played before the Amiga.

ZX Spectrum

Zer0

Banned
hunter was the grandaddy of GTA

anyone remembers a oscure amiga game named BERRA? u can chainsaw a granny and them piss or the corpse take that manhunt2

painey

JetSetHero said:
Somebody else who played Maths Goblins?

I thought I dreamed that game :D

Oh god!! Ive been looking for the name of this game for about 10 years!!!!!!!!! i am lost for words!! It was like a graphic adventure and when you progressed screens it would ask you a maths question, I loved it but I was so shit at maths I could only play when my mother was home so I could ask her the answers.

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
I don't even know where I got a copy of the game. Probably on the front of a magazine or something.

Another game I played to death with my family:

into_the_eagles_nest.gif

Into the Eagle's nest.

Earlier in the thread somebody mentioned how they've not been so close to their brother since the days of the Amiga. Same here, except my whole family. Back when my parents were still young and actually enjoyed new things rather than being so cynical and bitter, we all used to gather round and watch my mum play Lemmings (she helped me in Monkey Island too), and my brother, dad and I would have tournaments of Extreme Violence.

Anybody remember making their own levels for Worms in Deluxe Paint?

I miss those days so, so much :*(

lilltias

The Amiga really was doing alot of stuff that is considered nextgen today. Oh, it just can't get enough LOVE.

LOVE it or DIE.

Top Bottom