• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Crossdressing and Drag Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five

Banned
Well done on the weight loss! I bet that feels amazing. I have a few items that I can barely zip up, or can't zip up, so I'd love to have the same experience.

My situation was different, in that I didn't try dressing up until after I had lost quite a bit of weight.

I've slowly regained some of that weight and I'd love to slim down again, now that I'm more into this side of me.

I actually put off dressing for a while last year because I was dissatisfied with my weight, but instead I decided to start dressing for my size and just go with it. :)

Thanks. When I weighed more, I loved the act and feel of dressing but never liked any pictures I took or seeing myself in a mirror. Now I like around half of the pictures I take, which I figure is a pretty good number.

I lost about 35 lbs of weight this year (186 → 151), and the primary motivation for doing so was wanting to look better dressed up. A lot of people told me I looked better, which was nice, and I felt better too, but mostly I'm thrilled about how some of my clothes feel on me.

There was a dress I bought at the bottom of last year that was probably the wrong size because I could barely get in or out of, but I left it in my closet as a motivator/reminder. Anyway, I tried it on again last night and it was super comfortable, and I slipped right out when I wanted to take it off. It felt amazing.

Has anyone else experienced weight loss to look better in a dress?

That was/still is my primary motivation for continuing my own weight loss; I really, really wanna look good in my femme stuff. Especially if I decide to say "fuck it" and I start incorporating CDing into my daily wardrobe.
I think I'm getting there, but I've still gotta give it a bit more time and effort.
Congrats on your weight loss btw!

Re: weight.

The main reason I don't dress much right now is I'm unhappy with my weight. My outfits either don't fit so well now, or I'm just unhappy with how I look.

Too much chocolate and McDonalds is my problem. I think it's comfort eating because I'm 32 in a couple of months and I don't think I'll ever transition and I long for my androgynous youth...

What's a good diet for getting a slim, non-muscular/blokey body? :3

Five

Banned
What's a good diet for getting a slim, non-muscular/blokey body? :3

Mainly what I did was eat less. I go on a mile-long walk every day, but don't do any other exercise (because I'm lazy and don't want to bulk up). But I've not ever been picky about what I eat; just how much. Typically I'll eat 1500 calories a day, but it was a couple hundred fewer when I was actively losing weight.

Hmm, good idea. I used to walk for about an hour a day but then my job moved offices and I carpool it, which I think has really hurt my figure!

It's hard to motivate yourself to do it after a long day at work though. When do you walk?

I'm not good at calorie counting though, I get hungry pretty quickly and snack too much.

Five

Banned
Hmm, good idea. I used to walk for about an hour a day but then my job moved offices and I carpool it, which I think has really hurt my figure!

It's hard to motivate yourself to do it after a long day at work though. When do you walk?

I'm not good at calorie counting though, I get hungry pretty quickly and snack too much.

It definitely takes dealing with a week or two of hunger pangs before you get used to eating less, especially if you drop as drastically as I did, but it's pretty easy once you get over that hump.

I don't have a regular time for walking. Any time between six PM and midnight, generally. I usually walk to one of the diners or convenience stores right by my neighborhood.

just wanted to stop by and say that this crossplayer is pretty damn gorgeous.

my_my_by_sidarthur-d8a4g1z.jpg

the_bar_boy_by_sidarthur-d5zf26y.jpg

the_yatagarasu_by_sidarthur-d5zf1nd.jpg

Ooo, I don't know what I'd do with myself if I was that pretty.
:p

Edit:
Also, I love these kinds of super androgynous feminine looks
There is something so beautiful about an obviously boyish/male figure in highly feminine clothing and makeup imo.

Five

Banned
just wanted to stop by and say that this crossplayer is pretty damn gorgeous.

Ooo, I don't know what I'd do with myself if I was that pretty.

Looking at that makes me feel so damn lazy. I don't think I'd ever put that much time into hair and makeup. It looks stunning, though. Thanks for sharing!

Looking at that makes me feel so damn lazy. I don't think I'd ever put that much time into hair and makeup. It looks stunning, though. Thanks for sharing!

lol
Yeah, same here; looking at some of these other dressers (or effeminate "male bodied" gender queer/androgynous people) is sometimes maddening.
I mean...
I'd like to put that much effort into it...but I don't have the skill, time, confidence, or support right now.

Like for example...I'd love, love to look like Charles Dimetri almost all the time...

(DEM LEGS!)

But it's just not going to happen at the moment...too many hang ups and too little time; luckily I can sort of admire and aspire from afar.

dock

I've been gaining weight since October, the last time I dressed, due to a knee injury. That combined with winter blues have made me really not want to dress, nor even care about my regular clothes.

I'm off to San Francisco tomorrow for a trip, and wasn't sure if I had the courage to dress up when there... so to help change my mind I had a makeover yesterday. I loved the results, despite the body weight, so I'm taking my heels to America! ;) (I could maybe share some photos of the results)

(Super late on this lol)
Yeah he's really, really pretty; I'm not even into half the stuff he dresses up as, but I'm always on the look out for gorgeous people with good makeup skills and fashion sense.
Admiring beauty (hair, makeup, etc.) has become a pretty engaging past time over the past few years that I've been coming to grips with my own sexuality, gender identity, and gender expression; it's fun to look at, you can learn a lot, and if you're an artist of some sort it can be very inspirational.
A lot of the makeup/beauty and fashion pins on my pinterest boards have inspired my character designs 'n stuff.
:>
To be completely honest, non-cisnormative behavior and identity inspires a lot of my work.

Drag GAF !

Saw this and thought you might enjoy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbeovM4RCh4

You go Eric/Fonda! <3 (her outfit was really cute btw, I liked her shoes.)
Thank you for sharing this sploatee, I love ted talks and I really enjoyed this one!
It's incredibly fascinating to see that Eric has realized that he is Fonda and Fonda is him; it seems like he's much happier with the realization that she's an important part of his identity that helped him to be a mentally/emotionally stronger individual. It honestly seems like he's proud of his femininity, and the way it has shaped him.

I've always been of the opinion that a lot of the drag queens who call themselves "characters" while in drag are doing themselves a major disservice (Especially when they look like Jade Jolie, Alyssa Edwards, Courtney Act, or Eric's Fonda); it seems like a lot of them have a legitimate feminine gender expression, but various societal hang ups (internalized homophobia, internalized transphobia, society's archaic views on gender, their family's approval, some queer men's negative vocal views on femininity, etc.) stops them from admitting that being uber-girly/feminine is a very important part of their identity that has made them who they are today and will probably continue to shape them throughout their lives.

Five

Banned
I have really mixed feelings about my cross dressing right now. It's something I love to indulge in as far as I can as long as know one I know in real life knows about it. Growing my hair out, wearing women's skinny jeans and eyeliner every day, wearing androgynous tee shirts &#8211; all stemming from a want to cross dress but not appear necessarily like I am. Maybe I just want to look like a rock star, emo or punk, you know?

Nobody knows I wear breast forms and lingerie to sleep in. Nobody sees me trying on corsets and dresses. Nobody knows about my buttplug and dildo collection. Nobody needs to, admittedly, but I wonder how differently I'd behave if I was't ashamed of it.

So I don't know if I've convinced myself that I'm okay in jeans and a tee during the day because that's all I can get away with, or if I actually am okay with that. My alter ego is the super feminine version of me, but I don't feel like my primary ego is ever very masculine. So I wonder if my alter ego is closer to home or just an over-correcting attempt to normalize myself when society tries to typecast me.

woooooooooow that cosplayer with the blue hair wig is super pretty *_____*

he's making me jealous aaaaaaaaaa *______*

I didn't look it up to verify, but one of the other users here said that he's FTM transgender. I don't understand why you would want to crossdress as a girl after transitioning, but it would explain the appearance, and I'm no expert on this field.

I have really mixed feelings about my cross dressing right now. It's something I love to indulge in as far as I can as long as know one I know in real life knows about it. Growing my hair out, wearing women's skinny jeans and eyeliner every day, wearing androgynous tee shirts – all stemming from a want to cross dress but not appear necessarily like I am. Maybe I just want to look like a rock star, emo or punk, you know?

Nobody knows I wear breast forms and lingerie to sleep in. Nobody sees me trying on corsets and dresses. Nobody knows about my buttplug and dildo collection. Nobody needs to, admittedly, but I wonder how differently I'd behave if I was't ashamed of it.

So I don't know if I've convinced myself that I'm okay in jeans and a tee during the day because that's all I can get away with, or if I actually am okay with that. My alter ego is the super feminine version of me, but I don't feel like my primary ego is ever very masculine. So I wonder if my alter ego is closer to home or just an over-correcting attempt to normalize myself when society tries to typecast me.

Well, I can't speak from a CD standpoint, only from my purely trans perspective, but perhaps you should try different ways of exploring your other you to see if that gives any more insight. Don't have any specific suggestions (since I don't know you) beyond just trying things differently one way or another. Might learn something interesting!

I didn't look it up to verify, but one of the other users here said that he's FTM transgender. I don't understand why you would want to crossdress as a girl after transitioning, but it would explain the appearance, and I'm no expert on this field.

The intersection between gender identity and gender expression can be rather strange and unexpected at times. Not the case with myself personally, but I do know that some trans/non-binary people actually find it easier to embrace aspects of their initially assigned gender, be it performance or something deeper, once they no longer feel tied down by it. Cis folk do crossdressing/drag so I suppose it's not entirely shocking a trans person might be attracted by it too, although I'll admit I personally want to stay as far away from guy stuff as possible at this point.

I have really mixed feelings about my cross dressing right now. It's something I love to indulge in as far as I can as long as know one I know in real life knows about it. Growing my hair out, wearing women's skinny jeans and eyeliner every day, wearing androgynous tee shirts &#8211; all stemming from a want to cross dress but not appear necessarily like I am. Maybe I just want to look like a rock star, emo or punk, you know?

I imagine that all of it is you, but unfortunately we live in a society where the feelings of non-cisnormative people are still suppressed and stigmatized which is something that I feel causes us to dissociate ourselves in some way from the gender bending that is part of our intrinsic identity as people.
Like, the fact that you call your feminine cd self an alter ego is odd to me when you consider the fact that we live in a world where women walk around in jeans (skinny or otherwise), baggy sweaters, flats, T shirts, and no makeup all the time without referring to themselves as "characters" or "alter egos" in that state; it's just sort of seen as a part of who they are, and society doesn't really question it until their crossdressing is so extreme that they start to uncomfortably look like most people's idea of a boy.
I think society's rigid restrictions on male gender expression has really stunted our ability to deal with the feminine expression that some of us have inside, and tbqh I feel as though it's more detrimental to our ability to accept ourselves than it's really worth being.

The reason why a trans boy like Oliver is able to be so feminine while also identifying as a man is because gender expression and gender identity are very distinct things that don't always influence each other.
Gender expression is the external representation of a person's gender identity (high heels, dresses, makeup, long hair, etc.) while gender identity is the internal innate manifestation about how one feels inside ("I'm a boy" or "I'm a girl" or "I'm Bi-gender" or "I'm gender queer").
This is the reason why we have (straight, gay, Bi, queer) mtf crossdressers who still feel like boys no matter if they're casual or full-time with their feminine gender expression/crossdressing.

Five

Banned
Well, I can't speak from a CD standpoint, only from my purely trans perspective, but perhaps you should try different ways of exploring your other you to see if that gives any more insight. Don't have any specific suggestions (since I don't know you) beyond just trying things differently one way or another. Might learn something interesting!

Thanks. I'm certainly open to suggestions!

I imagine that all of it is you, but unfortunately we live in a society where the feelings of non-cisnormative people are still suppressed and stigmatized which is something that I feel causes us to dissociate ourselves in some way from the gender bending that is part of our intrinsic identity as people.
Like, the fact that you call your feminine cd self an alter ego is odd to me when you consider the fact that we live in a world where women walk around in jeans (skinny or otherwise), baggy sweaters, flats, T shirts, and no makeup all the time without referring to themselves as "characters" or "alter egos" in that state; it's just sort of seen as a part of who they are, and society doesn't really question it until their crossdressing is so extreme that they start to uncomfortably look like most people's idea of a boy.
I think society's rigid restrictions on male gender expression has really stunted our ability to deal with the feminine expression that some of us have inside, and tbqh I feel as though it's more detrimental to our ability to accept ourselves than it's really worth being.

I don't consider that cross dressing though. It's only cross dressing to me when she's making a point to dress in a masculine fashion. I think most clothes that males wear are actual unisex, primarily because men en large go for function over form.

You know what feels like females cross dressing? When they put shoulder pads in their suits to give them a stronger look. When they bind their chests to be flatter. That kind of thing.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

The reason why a trans boy like Oliver is able to be so feminine while also identifying as a man is because gender expression and gender identity are very distinct things that don't always influence each other.
Gender expression is the external representation of a person's gender identity (high heels, dresses, makeup, long hair, etc.) while gender identity is the internal innate manifestation about how one feels inside ("I'm a boy" or "I'm a girl" or "I'm Bi-gender" or "I'm gender queer").
This is the reason why we have (straight, gay, Bi, queer) mtf crossdressers who still feel like boys no matter if they're casual or full-time with their feminine gender expression/crossdressing.

It's all really complicated - I think anyone with an identity that doesn't fit the stereotypical expectations of society has to struggle with some of these issues - whether it's something as supposedly "minor" like a male womenswear designer, for example or all the way to someone who identifies as genderqueer.

I had just a mega-clear sense of "transness" from when I was 5 or 6 onwards, maybe earlier. I was convinced I'd grow up into a girl until I was at least 10 or 11 and realised the world didn't work that way. Then when puberty hit I didn't really develop properly. I had to have growth hormone injections to try and spur it on a bit (they didn't work fully), so it was all incredibly confusing. I came out as gay when I was in my late teens (I think!? memory not good) and at that point I thought drag was where I was. I got even more confused! In the end, I just went back to where I started. It was pretty obvious that I was just "vanilla trans"; I've always had little to no connection to my body (including "down there") and even when I was a tiny child used to try and "take off my willy" (TMI I know). But I guess what I'm saying is that it's a really complicated business. In the end, all you can do is follow your heart and do your best to not think about all the different labels too much. I've driven myself mad (and still do) wondering why I am this way, but I'm learning to just roll with it.

Hope that's helpful Abe Bly. Just follow your instinct and you should hopefully be OK.

Oh: and Fonda/Eric rocks. Amazing talk and glad you enjoyed it MisterGrey!

Five

Banned
I had just a mega-clear sense of "transness" from when I was 5 or 6 onwards, maybe earlier. I was convinced I'd grow up into a girl until I was at least 10 or 11 and realised the world didn't work that way. Then when puberty hit I didn't really develop properly. I had to have growth hormone injections to try and spur it on a bit (they didn't work fully), so it was all incredibly confusing. I came out as gay when I was in my late teens (I think!? memory not good) and at that point I thought drag was where I was. I got even more confused! In the end, I just went back to where I started. It was pretty obvious that I was just "vanilla trans"; I've always had little to no connection to my body (including "down there") and even when I was a tiny child used to try and "take off my willy" (TMI I know). But I guess what I'm saying is that it's a really complicated business. In the end, all you can do is follow your heart and do your best to not think about all the different labels too much. I've driven myself mad (and still do) wondering why I am this way, but I'm learning to just roll with it.

Hope that's helpful Abe Bly. Just follow your instinct and you should hopefully be OK.

I can easily say that that was not my experience. I didn't even start thinking about cross dressing until I was sixteen or seventeen. Thank you for the insight and encouragement, though! :)

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I can easily say that that was not my experience. I didn't even start thinking about cross dressing until I was sixteen or seventeen. Thank you for the insight and encouragement, though! :)

No probs! Good luck with your journey (wherever it may go)!

It's all really complicated - I think anyone with an identity that doesn't fit the stereotypical expectations of society has to struggle with some of these issues - whether it's something as supposedly "minor" like a male womenswear designer, for example or all the way to someone who identifies as genderqueer.

Oh: and Fonda/Eric rocks. Amazing talk and glad you enjoyed it MisterGrey!

These are definitely complicated issues that many (especially laymen like many of us) still don't understand very well, and going with the flow is a technique that can be extremely beneficial to many of us.
People sometimes end up coming to terms with their intrinsic feelings in unique and unexpected ways that are sometimes hard to predict, but I think for me it's just intellectually honest to think about why we may feel needless awkwardness/anger/shame/confusion for being who we are (especially considering that we live in a society full of big fat contradictions from both a gender and sexuality perspective.)
I don't think dressers like Abe would be questioning or hiding their cding or feminine gender expression if the world we lived in was more educated about the fluidity of the gender, the arbitrary nature of social constructs, and the differences between gender identity and gender expression.
Mtf or just male cd's generally tend express some of the same feelings Abe seemed to express in his original post, and I was hoping my post regarding how our society feels about this stuff might give him some perspective to take with him on his journey.
I firmly believe that society's uneducated and archaic stance on these concepts plays a huge role in the taboo nature of non-cisnormative behavior and the way feel about not fitting into boxes.

I don't consider that cross dressing though. It's only cross dressing to me when she's making a point to dress in a masculine fashion. I think most clothes that males wear are actual unisex, primarily because men en large go for function over form.

You know what feels like females cross dressing? When they put shoulder pads in their suits to give them a stronger look. When they bind their chests to be flatter. That kind of thing.

Our idea of female crossdressing now is much more extreme than it was before (as your well-defined more "detailed" criteria for female cding shows)
It might be why you feel that bound breast and shoulders pads combined with clothes that give a masculine silhouette is real female crossdressing where as many in our society feel that just simply wearing a pair of heels is taboo crossdressing for men/boys.
65 or so years ago men's clothing was not "unisex" in any sense of the word (it's only recently become unisex, and even then a lot of it is feminized or paired with traditionally female-aimed clothing). It was specifically for men/boys and stuff like this would have been considered straight up crossdressing if she was warped back to the 1950s regardless of whether or not she bound her breasts or put shoulder pads in her T shirt.
Heck, 1920s flapper girls (the style that extremely feminine icons like Minnie Mouse and Betty Boop was based on) were actually criticized for (what many people at the time saw as) their "masculine" androgynous silhouettes and short hair; a lot of young women used the flapper girl look as a sort of passive way to fight the gender norms of the time.
As I said in the above post, I think examining the way our society feels about this stuff can give us quite a lot of perspective on gender issues and stuff like them.

Five

Banned
I appreciate your posts a lot. You're very on point regarding historic trends.

However, I think gender is a social construct to begin with, so what society makes of what you wear is the primary way to describe it.

These are definitely complicated issues that many (especially laymen like many of us) still don't understand very well, and going with the flow is a technique that can be extremely beneficial to many of us.
People sometimes end up coming to terms with their intrinsic feelings in unique and unexpected ways that are sometimes hard to predict, but I think for me it's just intellectually honest to think about why we may feel needless awkwardness/anger/shame/confusion for being who we are (especially considering that we live in a society full of big fat contradictions from both a gender and sexuality perspective.)
I don't think dressers like Abe would be questioning or hiding their cding or feminine gender expression if the world we lived in was more educated about the fluidity of the gender, the arbitrary nature of social constructs, and the differences between gender identity and gender expression.
Mtf or just male cd's generally tend express some of the same feelings Abe seemed to express in his original post, and I was hoping my post regarding how our society feels about this stuff might give him some perspective to take with him on his journey.
I firmly believe that society's uneducated and archaic stance on these concepts plays a huge role in the taboo nature of non-cisnormative behavior and the way feel about not fitting into boxes.

Oh, without question. A simple look at history and/or various cultures makes clear that most, if not all, of what we tend to label as gendered expression isn't inherent or constant. And honestly, even if it was it doesn't make sense to shame people or force people into limited roles outside of what the real reason is: Controlling people and maintaining existing power structures. Which is, of course, why women being more "masculine" is now largely accepted but a man being more "feminine" is abhorrent.

dock

For me there's still definitely a firm line between when I'm presenting as female, and when I'm just playing with clothes and make-up a bit, and I definitely still feel uncomfortable when I see my male face amongst my female clothing.

I'd say the wig and padding is still the biggest part of where I feel like I'm crossing the line.

I'd love to mix in some make-up and girly clothes with my regular outfits, but I often feel, as a man in his 30s, that I have well and truly missed the boat. If I wanted to do this I should have done it when I was 22 and had the chance. :(

I'd love to mix in some make-up and girly clothes with my regular outfits, but I often feel, as a man in his 30s, that I have well and truly missed the boat. If I wanted to do this I should have done it when I was 22 and had the chance. :(

It's never too late to be yourself.

Edit: ^^^
Also yeah, Fortune Faded is right on the money.

On Trans Visibility Day I decided to come out as a crossdresser, at least one Twitter where I felt relatively safe.
https://twitter.com/docky/status/583022606456123394

CBdP-KrWwAIaogC.jpg

This was of course met by a transgender woman that got angry about me 'conflating' trans with crossdressing. :(

Congrats dock! :>
You look fabulous.

I believe in transgender as an umbrella term for anybody who's identity or personal expression isn't cisnormative (which is what it currently still means), so don't let people like that bring you down.
Though don't get me wrong...it's completely understandable why some trans woman wouldn't want to be associated with CDs seeing as our current society still (frustratingly) has a really hard time telling the difference between transwomen and guys with feminine gender expression/performance.

Bumped for this mini doc on Drag Queens in Japan.

"Tokyo Is Burning" (warning, it's a bit NSFW)

It seems like effeminate/crossdressing queer men face the same femmephobic stigma (from both straight cis people and gay cis men) in Japan as they do in the west, I honestly wasn't aware of that.
Also, there is a trans woman who works as a queen in there; I kind of wish they touched on being trans and a drag queen in Japan like "Paris Is Burning" (give that film a watch if you already haven't, it's a powerful documentary) did in the 80s but I guess they didn't have time.
Would have been interesting though. Anyways, give it a watch if you have the time.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Bumped for this mini doc on Drag Queens in Japan.

"Tokyo Is Burning" (warning, it's a bit NSFW)

It seems like effeminate/crossdressing queer men face the same femmephobic stigma (from both straight cis people and gay cis men) in Japan as they do in the west, I honestly wasn't aware of that.
Also, there is a trans woman who works as a queen in there; I kind of wish they touched on being trans and a drag queen in Japan like "Paris Is Burning" (give that film a watch if you already haven't, it's a powerful documentary) did in the 80s but I guess they didn't have time.
Would have been interesting though. Anyways, give it a watch if you have the time.

Good watch. I knew about the femme hating thing on a vague level but I haven't seen it confirmed from a first-party source until now. Its reflected in the drawn pornography (doujin scene) because there's such a giant market (mostly female) for depictions of homosexuality between femme men that the actual gay men of Japan feel obligated to rebel, against what can be seen as the commercial exploitation of their sexuality, by engaging in the hypermasculine. This conflict eventually lead to the dichotomy between yaoi, classic femme gay porn written by women for women, and bara, hypermasculine gay porn written by gay men for gay men.

Good watch. I knew about the femme hating thing on a vague level but I haven't seen it confirmed from a first-party source until now. Its reflected in the drawn pornography (doujin scene) because there's such a giant market (mostly female) for depictions of homosexuality between femme men that the actual gay men of Japan obligated to rebel, against what can be seen as the commercial exploitation of their sexuality, by engaging in the hypermasculine. This conflict eventually lead to the dichotomy between yaoi, classic femme gay porn written by women for women, and bara, hypermasculine gay porn written by gay men for gay men.

Interesting I never knew this, thanks for the info Haly!

KiN0

Good watch. I knew about the femme hating thing on a vague level but I haven't seen it confirmed from a first-party source until now. Its reflected in the drawn pornography (doujin scene) because there's such a giant market (mostly female) for depictions of homosexuality between femme men that the actual gay men of Japan obligated to rebel, against what can be seen as the commercial exploitation of their sexuality, by engaging in the hypermasculine. This conflict eventually lead to the dichotomy between yaoi, classic femme gay porn written by women for women, and bara, hypermasculine gay porn written by gay men for gay men.

Never knew this. Going off anime, I always thought Japan was more accepting of femme men.

mantidor

Japan is very accepting of almost anything... in print, real life is something else, but in that regard is not just lgbt people who are under pressure, everyone is expected to fill in a certain role, asian cultures aren't big on individualism at all.

I mean, no one even bats an eye about Kabuki actors playing female roles, but Kabuki female actresses would be a terrible taboo, even playing female roles.

Never knew this. Going off anime, I always thought Japan was more accepting of femme men.

Same here, honestly anime and manga made me assume a lot of things about being about Japan when it came to topics like this; boy I was naive.

Though then again...one of the lead characters in the anime Princess Jellyfish says something like "What?? I'm a crossdresser not a weirdo, I'm normal..." when one of his co-stars asks him if he's a drag queen.
So that kind of confuses me, are they more accepting of straight boy crossdressers in japan? Do Japanese people generally understand what usually separates drag from "plain old" crossdressing?

I mean, there are a lot of straight boy crossdressers in the west (mostly due to the fact that more straight boys exist I reckon), but people who are amab who dress in "women's" clothing are all stigmatized and disenfranchised in our neck of the woods. (As much as some queens might not want to admit it) There is a pretty thin line between being a drag queen and crossdresser, but most people don't see the differences.

mantidor

Though then again...one of the lead characters in the anime Princess Jellyfish says something like "What?? I'm a crossdresser not a weirdo, I'm normal..." when one of his co-stars asks him if he's a drag queen.
So that kind of confuses me, are they more accepting of straight boy crossdressers in japan? Do Japanese people generally understand what usually separates drag from "plain old" crossdressing?

Well the vice doc there is showing a very underground scene, it's not just drag queens, crossdressing on the other hand has certain history, as I mentioned with Kabuki and many arts in general, drag is about expressing yourself, it is individualism, and for Japanese people that's just weird and probably taboo.

It's complicated to look at their culture from our perspective anyway, anime and manga also offer a skewed view of japanese society.

Reeks

On Trans Visibility Day I decided to come out as a crossdresser, at least one Twitter where I felt relatively safe.

CBdP-KrWwAIaogC.jpg

This was of course met by a transgender woman that got angry about me 'conflating' trans with crossdressing. :(

Yeah, I wish our community was more accepting of each other. For example I feel like I get guff from lesbians because I'm bi. My ex girlfriend gave me shit about it all the time and she wasn't the only one. On top of that I enjoy cross dressing as well and identify as a gender non-conformist, not trans*. There's room for us all!!!! You look fabulous!!

~I put the Q in LGBTQ~

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
In a way, they are, and they aren't. Femme men are just kind of fashionable right now, and it's a thing happening all over East Asia. But they don't associate femme with gay like we do in the West. They have their own hangups about femme men. Also yeah, manga and anime offer a very skewed perception of homosexuality in Japanese culture. For the most part, they're still stuck in the 20th century with regards to gays, perception of gays and gay rights.

At least, that's my take on it.

(Gotta vent a little bit because the person I'm talking about has closed their inbox ...)

So I was digging around the blog of a artist who's very focused on social issues, and I came across some pretty problematic generalizations she had about cis men/boys who crossdress (but aren't drag queens) and it kind of upset me.
(PM if you're interested in seeing the post, it might help you understand why I'm a bit pressed. Hell you might even have a different interpretation of what she's saying)

Like I was agreeing with her on the fact that some crossdressers are way too ignorant of their own cis privilege and they shouldn't really try to speak for trans women, but then she started going on about how cis male crossdressers in general make her uneasy because most of the one's she's personally dealt with are straight boy fetishistic CDs (often referred to as transvestites to separate them from straight or queer dressers who get dolled up for different non-sexual reasons) who primarily dabble in violet misogynistic aggressive "rape-y" ideas of domination, submission, and degradation.

Like I can't change her experiences and it's unfortunate that those are the majority of CD's she's dealt with, but I can't help but be upset by the tone and wording of her post.
Like, she says "Obviously you can't generalize all crossdressers..." but then basically turns around and conflates every cis boy in the community with guys who only treat it as a sexual activity while painting a picture that sort of suggests that non-cis crossdressers are the only decent ones due to her limited experiences with the community.
Ugh...
I really think there needs to be a bigger push to get rid of the kinky fetishist stereotype; there is absolutely nothing wrong with having a fetish (or being into BDSM), but most cis boy CDs don't treat dressing as a secret kinky fetish.

Five

Banned
(Gotta vent a little bit because the person I'm talking about has closed their inbox ...)

So I was digging around the blog of a artist who's very focused on social issues, and I came across some pretty problematic generalizations she had about cis men/boys who crossdress (but aren't drag queens) and it kind of upset me.
(PM if you're interested in seeing the post, it might help you understand why I'm a bit pressed. Hell you might even have a different interpretation of what she's saying)

Like I was agreeing with her on the fact that some crossdressers are way too ignorant of their own cis privilege and they shouldn't really try to speak for trans women, but then she started going on about how cis male crossdressers in general make her uneasy because most of the one's she's personally dealt with are straight boy fetishistic CDs (often referred to as transvestites to separate them from straight or queer dressers who get dolled up for different non-sexual reasons) who primarily dabble in violet misogynistic aggressive "rape-y" ideas of domination, submission, and degradation.

Like I can't change her experiences and it's unfortunate that those are the majority of CD's she's dealt with, but I can't help but be upset by the tone and wording of her post.
Like, she says "Obviously you can't generalize all crossdressers..." but then basically turns around and conflates every cis boy in the community with guys who only treat it as a sexual activity while painting a picture that sort of suggests that non-cis crossdressers are the only decent ones due to her limited experiences with the community.
Ugh...
I really think there needs to be a bigger push to get rid of the kinky fetishist stereotype; there is absolutely nothing wrong with having a fetish (or being into BDSM), but most cis boy CDs don't treat dressing as a secret kinky fetish.

Can you send me a link?

In other news, my brother found out about my cross dressing about a week ago, and he hasn't spoken to me since. My dad was pretty understanding on the matter, but I'm just bummed because I thought I was already out to my brother and that he was okay with it.

Can you send me a link?

In other news, my brother found out about my cross dressing about a week ago, and he hasn't spoken to me since. My dad was pretty understanding on the matter, but I'm just bummed because I thought I was already out to my brother and that he was okay with it.

Sure, also I'm really sorry to here about that Abe.

I've noticed sometimes that coming out about anything related to stuff like this can still be a gamble even in this day and age.
Like, people who you expect would be cool with who you are happen to lean in the complete opposite direction while people who you're probably the most scared about coming out to often happen to be pretty understanding or supportive.
It's something that still throws me off to this day.

Five

Banned
Sure, also I'm really sorry to here about that Abe.

I've noticed sometimes that coming out about anything related to stuff like this can still be a gamble even in this day and age.
Like, people who you expect would be cool with who you are happen to lean in the complete opposite direction while people who you're probably the most scared about coming out to often happen to be pretty understanding or supportive.
It's something that still throws me off to this day.

Thanks! I'm sure it will blow over eventually. My family is pretty tight, and I have three other brothers, so it's not like he can stay away forever.

Regarding the general opinion of cross dressers, I think there's a large misunderstanding for most everyone, including even a lot of cross dressers.

Amazon made a show last year called Transparent which I highly recommend. Among other things, it features a trans woman whose first major public outings are at cross dressing get-togethers. They all are having a lot of fun until the camp ends, and then all of the other cross dressers actually get mad at the main character when she wants to stay in her female clothes on the drive home. They didn't understand that dressing was more than just a recreation for her, or even that she identified as a woman.

My byline will forever be patience, but admittedly that's an easy thing for me to say since I'm fairly comfortable in boy mode. I don't think it does any of us favors to tear at each other when we mostly want the same thing. Without going too off topic, it's a lot the in-fighting between Methodists, Baptists, Pentecostals and other denominations of Christianity. It just makes them look silly.

Now, with respect to cross dressing as an emasculating, submissive position, that's absolutely true in many respects, but I don't think it has to be a bad thing. Wanting to be a submissive or slutty female is not saying that those things are inherently female, or that a female is inherently weak. It's merely desiring to be the subset of females and female personas that do match that stereotype. In fact, many cross dressers and sissies get off on being dominated by a strong female.

I can easily imagine that situation from Transparent happening to a lot of trans women going by the experiences and accounts I've managed to read about online. Especially if we're dealing with older mtf CDs.

I mean, despite the transgressive gender expression (presentation/performance) a lot of dressers are still cis men/boys who are socialized in a society that doesn't really understand the modern concept of gender or the differences between trans women, drag queens, and crossdressers; I mean, the difference between gender identity and gender expression is lost on most everyday folk regardless of who they are a lot of the time.
And yeah, most of the fighting between the groups we're talking about seems to stem from ignorance, limited experiences (the person I talked about in my original post doesn't seem to understand how limited her experience with CD cis men/boys is), and people not really understanding where their differences and similarities end.

Honestly I agree with you in regards to the fetishist side of the mtf CD coin.
I don't feel like there is anything inherently wrong with BDSM role-playing; men wanting to take on more "submissive" and traditionally feminine roles is fine by me.
However, I totally understand why women (cis or trans who might also be feminist) with limited exposure to that stuff would respond negatively to some of it.
I mean...men and boys role-playing as what they might believe to be a "submissive slutty female" while asking their partners to basically "rape" them, and physically assault them while also directing sexist/transphobic/homophobic slurs their way seems to stem from some pretty misogynistic problematic ideas about female sexuality, transgender people, homosexuality, and how people view rape in western culture.

Five

Banned
Some of it might stem from misogyny, but BDSM doesn't take sides. Gay, straight, male over female, female over male, gang bang, it doesn't matter. I don't know what the percentages are, but there's a representation for everything.

And maybe the person behind this rant thinks that fantasies about submissive females shouldn't exist in any form, but that's a separate argument altogether, and still not something that I agree with.

Also, FYI, a transgression is when you go against the law or rules, so I don't think "transgressive" is quite the word you were looking for. Basically you called cross dressing unlawful gender expression.

Something else to take away from this is how ill-informed we might be. I mean, I like to think I'm pretty progressive (at least for being raised in a Christian family) and understanding of LGBT issues, but if a lot of trans* persons are this misunderstanding of cross dressers, then surely a lot of us are as misinformed about their lives. So I think this and times like it are a chance to step back and try to learn from what's happened.

If the person in question really thinks sexual fantasies about submissive females or role-playing as a submissive female shouldn't exist then I can't really agree with her either.
However, I will give her the benefit of the doubt and believe for the moment that she's mostly concerned with some fetishist CDs perpetuating harmful misogynistic/transmisogynistic behaviors and stereotypes in their sexual fantasies.
If that is her issue with some people in that side of the community then I can totally see where she's coming from.

Also on the subject of using "transgressive" to describe CD gender expression, that was basically the word I was going for. Haha
I've often seen it used to talk about non-cis gender identities and non-cis gender expression on many different occasions.
Though, I definitely see where you're coming from; there are probably better words to use that describe what I was trying to say.

Something else to take away from this is how ill-informed we might be. I mean, I like to think I'm pretty progressive (at least for being raised in a Christian family) and understanding of LGBT issues, but if a lot of trans* persons are this misunderstanding of cross dressers, then surely a lot of us are as misinformed about their lives. So I think this and times like it are a chance to step back and try to learn from what's happened.

Agreed.

Menome

Right. I've only ever cross-dressed as far as clothes go and want to start experimenting with make-up. I am a complete, never-done-before novice at this so I'm after a few guidance tips on:

• What basic items I should buy
  • What brands are cheap/reasonably-priced but still do the job (Very restricted budget unfortunately)
  • What order I should be putting things on my face
  • Any good sites/videos with guides for actually applying said make-up

All help is appreciated and thank you in advance!

Five

Banned
Menome, I suppose most of that depends on what kind of presentation you're going for.

I think most of my makeup is Maybelline. Right now, I'm wearing Maybelline Color Show on my nails, GOSH eyeliner, Maybelline XXL Pro mascara, Maybelline Stylish Smokes eye shadow, Covergirl brow pencil, and Revlon lipstick, applied in that order. I don't typically mess with with blush or foundation because I'm happy with my face tone and shape, because unless you buy expensive it's damaging to your skin, and also I'm just not any good at applying it.

And to be perfectly honest, most of how I've chosen products is either what looks good on the shelf in the makeup aisle or what I could swipe from other people. I'm not really proud of it, but kleptomania aided my cross dressing in the beginning.

Right. I've only ever cross-dressed as far as clothes go and want to start experimenting with make-up. I am a complete, never-done-before novice at this so I'm after a few guidance tips on:

• What basic items I should buy
  • What brands are cheap/reasonably-priced but still do the job (Very restricted budget unfortunately)
  • What order I should be putting things on my face
  • Any good sites/videos with guides for actually applying said make-up

All help is appreciated and thank you in advance!

I'm still quite new to wide and wonderful world of makeup.
It turns out that sneaking around with products you've borrowed
("stolen" is probably more accurate.)
and smearing whatever you can on your face to try and look "cute" just isn't really as helpful as getting guidance from your mother/sister/close friends. lol
(It's quite sad that this still seems to be a common experience for young boys who aren't the right kind of cis people)

Honestly, I think going to r/makeupaddiction would be really helpful for you (and many others on the site who might be looking for place to learn).

Also try these links from the subreddit, they might help you with the specific things you're asking about:

Great Quality Affordable Brands?
"Beginning Makeup"
"Best of r/makeupaddiction" (filled with all kinds of tutorials and stuff)

Also, if you want reliable makeup reviews click here.

CBdP-KrWwAIaogC.jpg

dock, how have your network of friends and colleagues treated you since? I am curious to hear an update on your situation. Hope all is well.

and love to all here. <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom