• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Daily Show Thread with Jon Stewart

KarmaCow

The guy that Jon was interviewing about UNESCO funding cut had to be in on the joke right?

"We're the good guys."

What the fuck.
The kids covering their faces was adorable.

Just got caught up on the Will Ferrell episode -- that was brilliant all the way through. Didn't Will bring a prop into his last interview too? A baseball bat, maybe?

I don't know if there was no guest on purpose or whether the guest backed out and they decided to cover by airing both parts of Oliver's report, but that was excellent. So funny. I always love when the correspondent's twist the interviewee's words back on them. That might have been one of the best reports on TDS I have ever seen.

Isn't Wexler the cokehead? I didn't know that the States had cut funding from UNESCO, but that's a bastard move.

WillyFive

I don't know if there was no guest on purpose or whether the guest backed out and they decided to cover by airing both parts of Oliver's report, but that was excellent.

I suppose it was because it's Thursday, meaning no new episode tomorrow. If they had a guest, then they would have to wait until Monday to air the second part of the report.

Socreges

Banned
The Unesco segment was brilliant, hilarious AND depressing at the same time.
Came in here to post this. One of the best segments they've done in a while.

[edit] Wow @ the moment of zen

FOX and Friends: "Assad really does personify evil. But who personifies goodness? Michelle Malkin, and she's with us right now."

IRONY

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I ran into Jon Stewart at the Miami airport yesterday. Nice guy, I didn't want to take too much of his time so I just shook his hand. I was holding my baby at the time and he said "you have a beautiful baby", lol. Seemed like a genuinely nice person.

The guy that Jon was interviewing about UNESCO funding cut had to be in on the joke right?

"We're the good guys."

What the fuck.
The kids covering their faces was adorable.

He obviously understood where John Oliver was coming from, but he still had to do his job and communicate the government's official position.

He probably disagreed with it himself.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I ran into Jon Stewart at the Miami airport yesterday. Nice guy, I didn't want to take too much of his time so I just shook his hand. I was holding my baby at the time and he said "you have a beautiful baby", lol. Seemed like a genuinely nice person.

He's not.

BigDug13

Have you SEEN how much fun he makes of Republicans?
His audience fits into the young, college aged demographic which is overwhelmingly democrat. He's also a democrat himself. He gets to make fun of the party he doesn't agree with which exactly plays to his audience. That doesn't mean he's not a nice person.

He also doesn't let democrat stupidity off the hook.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just got caught up on the Will Ferrell episode -- that was brilliant all the way through. Didn't Will bring a prop into his last interview too? A baseball bat, maybe?
He's been bringing stuff into his interviews for years, including in my all-time favorite Daily Show episode, when he grabbed a banana from the Green Room on his way in and...

you know what you should just really watch the whole sequence starting with Colbert's piece:
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-november-10-2003/prince-charles-scandal

I've noticed this the past few weeks as well. I guess the writers think the same. Haven't seen tonight's episodes (west coast) but there have been more than a few instances of almost word-for-word jokes.

Kristen Schaal was awesome tonight.

We meant repeating between TDS and Colbert.
I read once somewhere that they never, ever coordinate or tell each other what jokes they're doing so it doesn't force either of them to shy away from a topic. I guess they're bound to go the same direction sometimes. Hell, when they make the same joke it tends to be the joke I would've made myself, so how can I blame them :lol

The writers and correspondents do all the real work. All Jon does is sit behind a desk and read his lines.

His personality greatly informs the humor he does behind the desk, there's no way he doesn't write or tweak a lot of it. Also, he has to do rehearsal, go over the show's script and decide what's in, what's out, what needs to be changed.

Guy puts in a lot of hours every day, I can guarantee that.

Of course it's POSSIBLE to phone it in. But guys like Jon Stewart, Colbert and Conan didn't become highly successful, long-running show hosts by phoning it in. Lazy comics don't choose to produce daily comedy TV programs. Workaholics do.

BigDug13

The writers and correspondents do all the real work. All Jon does is sit behind a desk and read his lines.
Yep, I'm sure there is no rehearsal and he does it cold each day. And I'm sure he has no input into stories they pursue or lines. And I'm sure he does not study the stories at various news outlets for inspiration.

That's a typical joke they like to make about themselves in that they only work 2 hours a week. If you count commercials, they really only work 20 minutes a day. But it's obviously much more than that.

Obviously their dollars per hour far exceed ours...I'm not saying theyre doing equal work for equal pay with their writers or whatever, but they definitely work more than 30 min a day.

(by "they", I'm lumping Colbert into the same scenario of 30 min work each day. )

MojoRisin

Holy shit the special report from yesterday is one of the most incredible cringe-inducing things I've ever seen. In a good way

I kind of winced my face and watched through my peripheral as he was stumbling trying to hypothetically discuss slavery without offending black people. Sad part is the guy had no clue of what was going on or how ridiculous he sounded.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
*clap clap clap* Bravo moron, your blatant racism removed a class that hundreds of people could have benefited from, and made yourself look like a racist idiot on cable TV, on a show watched by millions. Just... wow.

Top Bottom