• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Fallout 3 thread of post-apocalyptic proportions!

finalbannerjpg.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------

right-info.gif

fo3specs.png
fallout3-allboxes-3d.gif

fo3player.png

fo3ov.jpg

"So what the hell is Fallout 3!?"

Fallout 3 is the third cannonical entry in the Fallout series that started over ten years ago. The games all take place in a fictional, post-apocalyptic United States.
It follows the events of a war (usually referred to as World War III) that occurred in the year 2077. Prior to this "Great War," an American company
named Vault-Tec was contracted by the U.S. government to construct a total of 122 "Vaults" in which to safely house select American citizens in
an effort to keep them alive throughout the horrors of nuclear devastation.

However, despite the claims from Vault-Tec and the U.S. government that the Vaults were for the safety of the human race, they were in fact large-scale social experiments to see how humanity could or would adapt to Vault life. And, consequently, what would happen if any Vault-dwellers eventually made it out of their Vaults.
The Fallout series tells of such chance happenings.

Fallout 3 tells the story of a dweller from Vault 101. You were born in the Vault and live out the first decade and some there, never seeing the outside world
and only ever hearing about it in stories. One day, your father mysteriously leaves home and you're left wondering, "well what the hell?" With nothing but
your wits and your Vault-Tec standard issue jumpsuit, you venture into the outside world for the first time in your life.

The Wasteland is home to many places and many people, all with their own unique (and occasionally lethal) charms. Play as a harbinger of destruction, or a cunning handyman, or a scientist able to crack any computer. Find weapons and items to aid you... or make your own! Chat up the local gun-for-hire or go solo. The decisions are yours.

It's the year 2277. What happens to this survivor is up to you.

Welcome to the future.

DOWNLOADS:

DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT:

ehokay.png

Thanks to:

Tieno
bethesda's website
MSPaint

My pre-order should be coming in the mail not long after release.

BTW, lets do this thread a bit differently.

How about we have a wacky photo-shop contest of sorts inside this very thread?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
This thread is a bit underwhelming compared to the other offical thread.

Great thread. Good job.

Costanza

Banned
I can't decide if I'm getting this yet :\

I love the post-apocalyptic setting but I fucking hated Oblivion. Maybe I'll just rent from Gamefly first.

Brapscallion

Neo Member
Pre-ordered special edition from Gamestation.

My woman's decided she's having the Fallout lunchbox, though. Gash.

To teach her a lesson, she won't see me for a few months, whilst I play it. :D

painey

my friend says for fifty squid he can get me the 360 uk version by wednesday, and im tempted and intrigued.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I am not lying when I say that these oct and nov are like some of the finest releases in gaming in a while. So epic. Loving western RPGs we have 2 big ones with Fallout and Fable.. NBA 2k is still hawt, Saints Row 2 is awesome. Anything else is like total gravy.

tmaynard

Costanza said:
I can't decide if I'm getting this yet :\

I love the post-apocalyptic setting but I fucking hated Oblivion. Maybe I'll just rent from Gamefly first.

I missed out on Oblivion, fortunately according to GAF. So hopefully Fallout 3 fixes all the "bad" stuff so I can completely dodge the suck.

GreekWolf

When the smokes clears after a barrage of holiday gaming goodness, this will be your GOTY.

Hopefully, Bethesda will take a much needed sabbatical as they rake in the profits, then start working on Elder Scrolls:Valenwood.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Good thread Disappeared!

I had to choose between Fable and this for my time... and Fable won. I dunno, in the end Fable was kind of a safe bet for me, while I didn't quite know whether I'd dig this. Will track thread for further impressions.

Blackace

tmaynard said:
I missed out on Oblivion, fortunately according to GAF. So hopefully Fallout 3 fixes all the "bad" stuff so I can completely dodge the suck.

There isn't much suck to it. Oblivion was a great game with one major design flaw that ruined the feel of it from the past games. If people didn't have Morrowind or Daggerfall to compare it to "teh suck" would hardly be talked about.

I have one friend who loves RPGs, he is in love with Mass Effect, but gets completely lost in the ES games..

Really cant wait for this, have got 2 copies preordered, the GAME.co.uk exclusive limited edition for the 360 and the collectors edition for the PC :D :D :D

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ugh... LOTS of games to buy.

Fallout 3 will rock my world!

Bebpo

Banned
I'm interested, but with all the fall releases I'm going to pass and grab it next year for $20-30. I think what pushed me over the edge was Fable II getting really good reviews so if I grab one wrpg this year it'll be that (plus I like pretty graphics and Fable II is much more impressive looking ^^;).

Blackace

Bebpo said:
I'm interested, but with all the fall releases I'm going to pass and grab it next year for $20-30. I think what pushed me over the edge was Fable II getting really good reviews so if I grab one wrpg this year it'll be that (plus I like pretty graphics and Fable II is much more impressive looking ^^;).

How can you ignore where RPGs came from??? Go back to the roots my friend! To the motherland!

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Lunchbox is mine. Too bad the bobblehead isn't packaged with the LE. I couldn't bring myself to shell out 120 for the ultra limited ed though - the pipboy clock is just too tacky. :lol

luxarific said:
Lunchbox is mine. Too bad the bobblehead isn't packaged with the LE. I couldn't bring myself to shell out 120 for the ultra limited ed though - the pipboy clock is just too tacky. :lol

The bobblehead does come with the LE unless I missed something.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I like the other thread better.

I ordered the Collector's Edition for the lunchbox. I'm such a whore. :(

EDIT: Bobblehead comes with the Survival Edition I believe.

Hootie

striKeVillain! said:
Wait, GAF hated Oblivion..? Why?

That's a question I can't answer. I loved the shit out of Oblivion. Played it nearly 250 hours and still do play a couple times a week to this day :lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
striKeVillain! said:
Level scaling and characters you couldn't care shit about

Me? Oh I loved it baby, Game of the Year 2006. Bought it for both PC and PS3, must've played over 500 hours.

ICallItFutile said:
I like the other thread better.

I ordered the Collector's Edition for the lunchbox. I'm such a whore. :(

Hmm, every site that sells the LE still lists the bobblehead as part of it.

tmaynard

rainking187 said:
The bobblehead does come with the LE unless I missed something.

Yep, bobblehead is in the CE and the Survival.

ICallItFutile said:

Comes in the CE as well. So, everyone gets bobblehead goodness.

Yoshichan

xir said:
Can one hate oblivion and love fallout 3?
I wouldn't think so.

Oblivion doesn't have the power glove though, so I don't know.

GreekWolf

striKeVillain! said:
Elder Scrolls diehards hated that enemies scaled to your level.

JRPG diehards hated that a WRPG received so much attention and critical acclaim.

Mainstream rebels hate anything that everyone else likes.

The rest of us enjoyed it, despite a few nagging flaws that kept it achieving greatness. It was simply far too ambitious for its own good, and Bethesda should have probably left it cooking in the oven another year.

Top Bottom