• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Fallout 3 thread of post-apocalyptic proportions!

Marvie_3

Banned
Got FONV and am thoroughly enjoying the game, not even close to finished. Is it worth taking a trip back to FO3 for a similar experience or will it just be a step backwards. Thoughts?

There's a lot more exploring you can do in FO3. One of my favorite things about FO3 was all the unmarked places on the map you could explore. Sometimes you'd find useful things, other time you wouldn't, but they were still fun to find. NV didn't have nearly the same level of optional exploration.

kai3345

Banned
FO3's setting and world design were far more interesting than that of New Vegas, but the story, options and characters of New Vegas more than made up for the uninteresting world design.

Playing 3 wont be a step backwards, just don't expect to enjoy the story very much.

Lothars

It's a different experience and while I like New Vegas more it's certainly not a step backwards. Instead of deserts and factories it's more like streets, subways, and museums for a good portion of it... Different enemies and weapons(some actually cooler than NV's) too.
Agreed, I prefer Fallout 3 more to NV but it is a totally different experience and I would definitely recommend for him to play Fallout 3.

There's a lot more exploring you can do in FO3. One of my favorite things about FO3 was all the unmarked places on the map you could explore. Sometimes you'd find useful things, other time you wouldn't, but they were still fun to find. NV didn't have nearly the same level of optional exploration.
I feel the same way, It's one of my favorite things about FO3. It feels like there are so much unexplored and unmarked places that is just as easy to miss but I love it.

ShaneB

Gah, I posted my thoughts in a LTTP thread, and here pops up the OT. I guess I'll stick to this one.

Basically just stated that I've been marathoning this since gettign it on the Steam sales, glad it runs fairly decently on my laptop, although I really should tweak a few things. For whatever reason the Rivet City stairwell seems to bring my fps down to the single digits, it's the worst spot in the game so far.

I'm about 20 hours in and it's been addicting as hell. When I start a quest, I just get that feeling of wanting to see it through to the end.

Combat is fine, VATS can be a lot of fun, but I'm still getting use to things if I'm not using VATS. Things can get wonky with enemies zipping around all over the place.

I can't help but feel like I'm playing a wrong version of the game though with so many mods out there, ah well.

Soulmiser

Neo Member
Appreciate the info all, for GOTY at only $30 (ps3) sounds like I might grab it after I finish NV. Sounds like a good bank for the buck if it's fairly similar to NV. Thanks.

Zarovitch

Someone know how to fix the Water of life bug with the 360.
The game freeze at the Jefferson Rotunda.

I've try to install the game, clear the cashe, reinstall patch and nothing work.
Since it's a part of the primary quest i think i'm done.

I'm still really digging this game, sometimes I'm downright shocked at just how good it is --
Tranquility Lane
is brilliant, for instance. Plus,
Rivet City
is giving me huge Deus Ex vibes, I like it -- a lot!

I admit, returning to
Rivet City
with
Dad/James
felt kind of glitchy, but somehow being accompanied by an invulnerable NPC attracting all the gunfire and mowing down all the enemies had a kind of badass vibe to it. I did have to abandon him near the Irradiated Metro station. Near it, there was two enemies taking pot shots at me from some high up place and he somehow managed to get up there and knife them to death. I couldn't figure out how to get there for the life of me and he refused to come down so we had to go separate ways.

The game has some variety problems, though. Too many raiders and Super Mutants all over the dang place. Plus, the tough-as-nails DC area almost made me burn out of the game. I'd obviously misunderstood
Three Dog's
directions to the
Museum of Technology
and kept trying to navigate through the maze because the map marker was to the south. Still not sure if there's a way to get there that involves going to the south, but right now I really don't feel like finding out. I wish I'd decided to break my oath and look for directions online sooner.

Oh and one final complaint: Anyone else think
Dad's/James's
voice actor kind of sucks? He seems to be playing it way too straight in a world where pretty much anyone seems at least mildly insane.

Marvie_3

Banned
Someone know how to fix the Water of life bug with the 360.
The game freeze at the Jefferson Rotunda.

I've try to install the game, clear the cashe, reinstall patch and nothing work.
Since it's a part of the primary quest i think i'm done.
I'd try to reload a previous save if you have one. If not, you might be screwed. I learned pretty early on to keep a couple running saves in case of freezing/corrupting.

I'd obviously misunderstood
Three Dog's
directions to the
Museum of Technology
and kept trying to navigate through the maze because the map marker was to the south. Still not sure if there's a way to get there that involves going to the south, but right now I really don't feel like finding out. I wish I'd decided to break my oath and look for directions online sooner.
The
Museum of Technology
is south of the
GNR building
which is why the marker points you in that direction. If you go into the map on the Pip-Boy, it should have a path for you to get there.
Oh and one final complaint: Anyone else think
Dad's/James's
voice actor kind of sucks? He seems to be playing it way too straight in a world where pretty much anyone seems at least mildly insane.
Liam Neeson
did a good job with the voice acting and he played it straight because his character isn't insane. :p

So I just finished the main quest -- can't have this game continue eat up all of my free time -- and despite the not-so-excellent ending which is obviously supposed to sell you the DLC (although everything leading up to it has been quite awesome), I had a blast. I'm pretty sure I prefer FO3 to Skyrim; it's obvious that it has the edge when it comes to creativity and I really loved the overabundance of insane characters, strange locations and dark humor.

I mean, how can you not love a game with such a brilliant introduction and locations such as Tranquility Lane, Little Lamplight and Vault 106? Plus, role playing and resource management felt more demanding in FO3 which I liked. It's true that the 3D engine feels a lot sloppier and looks worse in FO3 but I got used to it pretty quickly. I also can't say I dug the soundtrack very much but it did seem pretty true to the original games which didn't have a lot in the way of music either, if I recal correctly.

Two questions, though (spoilered just to be sure):

About Super Mutants:
OK, now I know where they come from. But how come there are so many of them even though they're supposed to be sterile? Do they mass-produce them in Vault 87 or something? And how come there are so many in DC out of all areas
?

About Vault 106:
can I explore all of the dungeon and unravel the mystery behind it without high lockpick skills? I can't figure out how to enter the labs for the life of me and have the feeling that one door quick requires 25 lockpick to open is the culprit. If I can't progress being the lockpicking klutz that I am I guess I gotta find a way to gain another level, I really want to experience all the trippy bits they put into the dungeon

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I'm playing this right now and I was actually kind of sad when
I had to leave Vault 101 for the last time. "Maybe" was playing on GNR when I walked out, and it was just so sad, lol.

Hello,
I know it's really late to the party but just got around to playing this, and enjoying it very much. I didn't know much about what to do with the stats so they're all over the place right now, and it seems like I messed up on leveling up my Charisma so much.. :/. I'm just about to enter Rivet City and was wondering if anyone had some tips.

mujun

Hello,
I know it's really late to the party but just got around to playing this, and enjoying it very much. I didn't know much about what to do with the stats so they're all over the place right now, and it seems like I messed up on leveling up my Charisma so much.. :/. I'm just about to enter Rivet City and was wondering if anyone had some tips.

Guns and repair are useful skills followed by lockpick and speech.

Get over to the ghoul town and in a nearby area you can grab a great rifle.

If you need good armor and a decent weapon there is a Talon Merc base right next to Megaton where you can get combat armor and a Chinese assault rifle.

Are those the sort of tips you are looking for?

ezekial45

Banned
Was there ever a mod for FO3 that was similar to the FONV mod "A World of Pain"?

AWOP added a shit ton of weapons, enemies, new locations, and quests. Did someone make anything like that for FO3?

Top Bottom