• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Fallout 3 thread of post-apocalyptic proportions!

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
The game works by breaking areas into separate zones with enemies at a range of levels. So, for example, the starting area around the vault has enemies a little weaker and just a bit stronger than you (or, and I'm pulling these numbers directly from my ass, a range of 1 to 3). The area a few miles north of that may have enemies that range between levels of 4 and 8. Further north, you'll be dealing with enemies between 10 and 15.

So, while you can go do what you want, the game is going to make sure you're aware of how under-prepared you are. However, it can be good to try and stretch yourself a bit. If you're feeling overwhelmed, go someplace else and see what happens.

Dries said:
So whats going on? I just got out of the vault and I'm only encountering enemies that are too strong for me.. Is this because I'm not going straight to megaton, but just exploring the other direction? I also installed broken steel all ready and that raised the level cap..

Where are you and what are you encountering?

As was said right above, the area North is pretty dangerous as is out west if you're just starting out. Definitely stick around the vault/megaton at first. Or actually you can go ahead and venture into DC, it's not terribly difficult for low level.

Dries

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
Where are you and what are you encountering?

As was said right above, the area North is pretty dangerous as is out west if you're just starting out. Definitely stick around the vault/megaton at first. Or actually you can go ahead and venture into DC, it's not terribly difficult for low level.

I was just sticking around the vault and encounterd giant rad scorpions and super mutants. Well, I learned my lesson. I'm going to megaton and stack up on ammo, weapons and armour.

thorin

Dries said:
I was just sticking around the vault and encounterd giant rad scorpions and super mutants. Well, I learned my lesson. I'm going to megaton and stack up on ammo, weapons and armour.
That's odd. Those enemies shouldn't be appearing around the Vault. At least they haven't in any of my playthroughs. Although going to Megaton is a good idea anyways.

Dries said:

Actually those are pretty tough to be around there. Usually you just run into molerats or dogs.

Dries said:

Something must not be right with your game as those enemies shouldn't spawn anywhere near the vault, do you have any of the DLC's active?

Dries

kyo_daikun said:
Something must not be right with your game as those enemies shouldn't spawn anywhere near the vault, do you have any of the DLC's active?

Yes broken steel is active. I got the goty version and just installed every DLC there was..
Could that be it?

Minamu

Yeah, I got normal super mutants not that far north of Vault 101 on my first playthrough too. Had to run away in the opposite direction whenever I saw them. You should probably pump up your small guns perk to 60~ as fast as possible.

Dries

Is the DLC (except Broken Steel) level sensitive? Can I just do every DLC regardless of what level I am and be OK?

anyone think they'll put the f03 DLC on sale sometime soon to coincide with new vegas?

really need to finish zeta for completionist's sake. but $10 is no-go.

Minamu

Dries said:
Is the DLC (except Broken Steel) level sensitive? Can I just do every DLC regardless of what level I am and be OK?
You should be okay. Running into massive amounts of the new high level enemies can be a bitch though. But I'm pretty sure you could do any dlc on lvl 1 without problems. Get the glitched weapons in Operation: Anchorage as a last resort if you're having big problems.

Ataturk

Dries said:
I would say to avoid Point Lookout til you're on a pretty high level, the rest are fine to start whenever.

Rabbitwork said:
anyone think they'll put the f03 DLC on sale sometime soon to coincide with new vegas?

really need to finish zeta for completionist's sake. but $10 is no-go.
It's honestly nothing special, probably the worst DLC. You get some nice weapons but otherwise it's pretty bland and very buggy.

Dries

Ataturk said:
I would say to avoid Point Lookout til you're on a pretty high level, the rest are fine to start whenever.

It's honestly nothing special, probably the worst DLC. You get some nice weapons but otherwise it's pretty bland and very buggy.

Guess which DLC I started first... :x

DeadGzuz

Banned
I'm playing through the PC GOTY version and turned on some realistic lighting mod and saw the six DLC "mods" were unchecked. I've never seen anything referencing the DLC in game, so I should use the mod tool to turn on the DLC? Any reason the default was off?

Indeed

So im thinking about getting the GOTY PS3 version since ive never played Fallout 3 but saw New Vegas at a friends house and it got me interested.
Checked amazon and most of the user reviews shat on it because of all the gamebreaking bugs and constant lockups. Any truth to that?

epmode

Indeed said:
So im thinking about getting the GOTY PS3 version since ive never played Fallout 3 but saw New Vegas at a friends house and it got me interested.
Checked amazon and most of the user reviews shat on it because of all the gamebreaking bugs and constant lockups. Any truth to that?
Bethesda console ports are shaky at best and Fallout 3 GOTY on PS3 is among the worst of the ports.

If you have a PC that is even close to capable, go with that.

kai3345

Banned
Indeed said:
If you have a 360 or PC go with those. PS3 version is complete garbage

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Got this for 360 used, non GOTY edition. Don't care, it cost me 17 bucks :lol Reminds me so much of Oblivion =P, but that's a good thing for I loved that game.

I do have a capable PC, but I just wanted the comfy chair feeling =P. So far like 9 hours in, I get sucked into these games for eternity. I am sure I have taken a few hard paths. I clutched my way to the Museum of Technology because I took the sub rails :lol

Doing some sidequests now. Got my house in Megaton, and will now see what to do. Probably some more side questing. I am always looking for ammo though, any clues:lol

Btw where do I get my dog =P

Mothership Zeta is glitched to Death. I've been stuck for 2 hours on the same mission, because the teleporters randomly just do not work, even if they are light up.

This is it, I'm loading my save before getting hijack by alien scums and maybe I'll go back later to this motherglitch zeta hell

Indeed

Sucks to hear that the PS3 version is that bad, since i have no 360 and my PC isnt that great.
Is the regular Fallout 3 version the same? Though it would surprise me that they somehow fucked up the goty version since im guessing they pressed the normal game on the disc and put in all the dlc download codes in the box.
I mean, would i be better off buying the regular game and then all the dlc one by one?

epmode

I hear that the vanilla PS3 version is reasonably stable but it all goes to hell when the DLC packs are installed. The GOTY version is not immune to this.

Marvie_3

Banned
Relix said:
Got this for 360 used, non GOTY edition. Don't care, it cost me 17 bucks :lol Reminds me so much of Oblivion =P, but that's a good thing for I loved that game.

I do have a capable PC, but I just wanted the comfy chair feeling =P. So far like 9 hours in, I get sucked into these games for eternity. I am sure I have taken a few hard paths. I clutched my way to the Museum of Technology because I took the sub rails :lol

Doing some sidequests now. Got my house in Megaton, and will now see what to do. Probably some more side questing. I am always looking for ammo though, any clues:lol

Btw where do I get my dog =P
For ammo, I always scrounged up any crap I could to sell and got it from merchants.

Dogmeat can be found in the scrapyard. Just head straight north from the Super Duper Mart. You should run into the Bethesda Ruins on the way. Scrapyard is north of there.

It's amazing how much of a difference Fellout makes.

Fellout+Greener Grass+NPC Texture Pack = what the game probably should have looked like from the beginning.

ResidentDante said:
Could you show us some pics?

These are from fallout3nexus, and don't include the texture pack. I'll see about snapping some of my own.

2672-2-1231125255.jpg

2672-1-1264258587.jpg

2672-1-1243473972.jpg

Can anyone give me some advice for my starting stats (though I'm sure this question gets asked a lot, so I apologize in advance).

I'd like a character that uses small guns, V.A.T.S., and possibly some stealth. I've never played the game before, so I'm not sure what to make of the conflicting reports on the importance of Intelligence/Charisma/Luck.

I'd also like to be able to effectively lockpick/hack/etc.

thorin

Jimmy Stav said:
Can anyone give me some advice for my starting stats (though I'm sure this question gets asked a lot, so I apologize in advance).

I'd like a character that uses small guns, V.A.T.S., and possibly some stealth. I've never played the game before, so I'm not sure what to make of the conflicting reports on the importance of Intelligence/Charisma/Luck.

I'd also like to be able to effectively lockpick/hack/etc.
Agility is the underlying stat for VATS (AP), guns and stealth so you may want to put 8 or 9 points into that.

Edit: Derp, I thought I was in the New Vegas thread but what I said is still true.

Also in Fallout 3, you can set Charisma to 1 with little consequence.

My last playthrough, I used these starting stats for a Stealth/Small Guns focused character:

Strength 4
Perception 7
Endurance 5
Charisma 1
Intelligence 9
Agility 9
Luck 5

I tagged Small Guns, Sneak, and Repair.

thorin

Medium guns? Do you mean Big Guns like the minigun, flamethrower, and missle launcher? But I'm not sure those guns make sense for a stealth character.

Or are you thinking that small guns are limited to hand guns? Because it includes stuff like assault rifles, shotguns, and sniper rifles too.

thorin

Well there aren't a lot of speech checks in the game, and the way people talk to you has more to do with your karma/deeds than charisma.

The main drawback of low charisma is that your Barter and Speech skills will start low as well. But you can always put points into those skills when you level up anyways. So it's not that charisma is useless, just that you can easily make up for it as you level up.

lucius

I recently picked up this game for the PS3 does the dlc still mess up the normal game?

When I installed it it made me dl a patch but don't know it's safe to install the download content on ps3. I don't have a good game PC and my 360 broke on me so this is my only option.

ElFly

In PS3, at least Broken Steel makes the game a little buggier and makes it lose a little framerate here and there.

But it's mostly concentrated in the Broken Steel exclusive areas.

It's still very playable on the PS3.

fatty

Can anyone give me their thoughts on which is the best version of the GOTY edition? I'm looking at the 360 and PC versions (seen a lot about the PS3 being buggy). I'm leaning toward the 360 because of the big screen/couch factor but if the PC version is clearly superior I'll go that route. I've just read a lot of issues with bugs and I'm not sure what to make of it.

Ledsen

fatty said:
Can anyone give me their thoughts on which is the best version of the GOTY edition? I'm looking at the 360 and PC versions (seen a lot about the PS3 being buggy). I'm leaning toward the 360 because of the big screen/couch factor but if the PC version is clearly superior I'll go that route. I've just read a lot of issues with bugs and I'm not sure what to make of it.

If you want access to 10000+ mods, superior graphics and mouse+keyboard and 360 controller support, go for the PC version. If you want 0 mods, crappier graphics and low framerate, go for the 360 version. It's really not a choice unless your PC is from 1995.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm finally getting around to finishing this, and the Liberty Prime part is awesome.

"EMBRACE DEMOCRACY!" :lol

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Well, that last mission was kind of anti-climactic. I felt like I didn't really do anything, just watched...

Septy

I bought this game, but it seems to break on laptops, even if their specs are well above the recommended system requirements.

sneaky77

Is there for the you are outnumbered message to ever way after it appears? I got it on the springvale quest and two hours later is still not letting me run, even though I finished three or 4 additional quests

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
PumpkinPie said:
I was just messing about and realised that the 'drop item' sound on F3 is also the 'empty recycle bin' sound from Windows 7....HAHA!

I'm going to replay this at some point and god I'm sure I not going to be able to unhear that

Dead Man

Septy said:
I bought this game, but it seems to break on laptops, even if their specs are well above the recommended system requirements.
My pretty crappy now HP laptop (iC2D 2.4, 4gb system RAM, GeForce 9600M GT)runs it okay, I have to turn down some of the draw distance, but I am using a shedload of mods too, most of which add graphical elements so I'm not too unhappy, but in HP fashion, I do have to do some things to make sure I can access the console.

Top Bottom