• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Fallout 3 thread of post-apocalyptic proportions!

So is this an RPG? I'm not sure where i've been but the first I'vfe heard of Fallout 3 was while watching the Microsoft E3 Press Conference... but I wrote it off, and now it seems like a contender for GOTY...

If this is like Oblivion (or any other Elder Scrolls game, then i'm all for it. I actually just finished getting all the original acheivements today, thinking about getting shivering isles so I can complete it.

Should I buy the other add on's if I have finished all the other quests and factions??

Hootie

MThanded said:
Kanye approves of fallout 3.

kanyetar1.jpg

Obligatory.

tmaynard

By the way, does anyone know any details about that Pip-Boy replica that comes with the Survival Edition?

Is it an alarm clock? Does it play sound effects from the game? Or is it a cheap, rinky dink, digital clock with no features encased in a plastic casing shaped like a Pip-Boy?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
2mri6f5.jpg

Good thread.

I have to say I was super-hyped around Leipzig; currently, I'm on the fence.

I'll decide whether or not I'll buy this based on what vibe the reviews will have.

saunderez

BootlegSnackz said:
If this is like Oblivion (or any other Elder Scrolls game, then i'm all for it.
It's like Oblivion in some ways, but its much more like Fallout in other ways (in the ways that matter really). I can't recommend the game highly enough, I loved every second of my first play through and am already hanging out to roll the dice and play through again making sure to do everything this time through.

Teknoman

rainking187 said:
Me too. What's he planning to do with all of them?

HA! :lol

As for Oblivion hating, I didnt really like the game after awhile since the monsters and equipment really werent all that interesting or diverse. Same for the locations. Fallout 3 seems to have a decent amount of enemy and equipment diversity. That and the weapons/combat system actually feels like it has an "impact" to it. The Oblivion battle system just felt too stiff...and there really wasnt any impact feel to the hits.

Probably going to save Fallout 3 as a christmas PC game. Too much other stuff coming out soon to be able to have fun with the game.

Pai Pai Master said:
PC version does have mod support, right? I heard some wacky rumour that it wouldn't...say it ain't so, GAF.

Bethesda and crew are supposed to be working on an SDK for a later release. But at launch...nope.

Hope it supports Games for Windows Live though. PC achievements show on your XBL Gamertag as well right?

tmaynard

Teknoman said:
HA! :lol

As for Oblivion hating, I didnt really like the game after awhile since the monsters and equipment really werent all that interesting or diverse. Same for the locations. Fallout 3 seems to have a decent amount of enemy and equipment diversity. That and the weapons/combat system actually feels like it has an "impact" to it. The Oblivion battle system just felt too stiff...and there really wasnt any impact feel to the hits.

Probably going to save Fallout 3 as a christmas PC game. Too much other stuff coming out soon to be able to have fun with the game.

Bethesda and crew are supposed to be working on an SDK for a later release. But at launch...nope.

Hope it supports Games for Windows Live though. PC achievements show on your XBL Gamertag as well right?

I'm pretty sure it does support live. They better not force PC users to pay for a Live account.

Onemic

Pai Pai Master said:
PC version does have mod support, right? I heard some wacky rumour that it wouldn't...say it ain't so, GAF.

Nope it doesn't. Beth said they were concerned with getting the game out, so the PC version wont come with mod support out of the box, and it may not get mod support at all.

luxarific said:
Except for Amazon? But Bethesda listed a bobblehead as part of the normal CE package, so hopefully Amazon customers will get one as well. *hopes*

Amazon lists it. In the product features section it just lists it as "Vault Boy collectors item", but scroll down to the product description and it mentions the bobblehead.

onemic said:
Nope it doesn't. Beth said they were concerned with getting the game out, so the PC version wont come with mod support out of the box, and it may not get mod support at all.

360 version it is then. That's pretty lame.

tmaynard

onemic said:

I'd say it's more like a matter of time. I'm sure people will find ways to mod it with or without support from Bethesda.

tmaynard

AgentOtaku said:
Is anyone going for the Survival Edition?

I think it's a bit shady. They show pictures of the Pip-Boy, but they don't detail much about it at all. That leads me to believe that it's a cheap piece of crap.

They announce it as a digital clock, but does that mean it's just a digital clock without and alarm or Fallout sound effects or tunes? If it was a full fledged alarm clock with some interesting sound effects that would be understandable. But even then a 50$ price increase is pretty extreme, especially if it's a cheap piece of crap.

tmaynard said:
I think it's a bit shady. They show pictures of the Pip-Boy, but they don't detail much about it at all. That leads me to believe that it's a cheap piece of crap.

They announce it as a digital clock, but does that mean it's just a digital clock without and alarm or Fallout sound effects or tunes? If it was a full fledged alarm clock with some interesting sound effects that would be understandable. But even then a 50$ price increase is pretty extreme, especially if it's a cheap piece of crap.

I don't have the link but they have gone into detail about it on their site

Zeliard

Pai Pai Master said:
360 version it is then. That's pretty lame.

There are still certain things that wouldn't require an SDK, though, like texture upgrades (like the popular Qarl one for Oblivion).

tmaynard

AgentOtaku said:
I don't have the link but they have gone into detail about it on their site

Really? If you can find that link post it up. I'd like to know more.

I've searched around, but the most that I could find is "It's a Digital Clock" and "It can wrap around your arm, but we don't advise it". Nothing about the specifics. To me, that just doesn't add up to 50$. Even as a collectors item, that's STEEP.

tmaynard said:
Really? If you can find that link post it up. I'd like to know more.

I've searched around, but the most that I could find is "It's a Digital Clock" and "It can wrap around your arm, but we don't advise it". Nothing about the specifics. To me, that just doesn't add up to 50$. Even as a collectors item, that's STEEP.

I would link but I'm at work ...but I remeber it being on Bethesda's site ...maybe their blog

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Do we know if its funnyish yet and has a groovy atmosphere?

I played the first two and loved them, and I'm willing to accept change, but if the vibe isnt right I know I'll be annoyed the entire time.

I could care a bit less about it beiung "open and huge"

Onemic

Staccat0 said:

I played the first two and loved them, and I'm willing to accept change, but if the vibe isnt right I know I'll be annoyed the entire time.

Nope.

From reviews it seems as if bethesda has shyed away from that.

They even went so far as to look down upon fallout 2 for its funny atmosphere it sometimes had to break tension up with its pop culture references.

Staccat0 said:

yeah the humor is in there...I think you can watch the 5th video Walkthrough in the 5 they put out last month or so.
Where the player visits the hotel and there's a Zombie there trying to get in...

onemic said:
Nope.

They even went so far as to look down upon fallout 2 for its funny atmosphere it sometimes had to break tension up with its pop culture references.

Really? ....I dunno...I thinking punching dude's heads off with an hydrolic arm is pretty funny

tmaynard

Staccat0 said:

It seems to have a very cynical comedy to it. I haven't played much of the first two, but the atmosphere seems to be very similar.

Also, I found the blog post for the Pip-Boy 3000 Replica. Unfortunately, it doesn't say much of anything on details. Just the same "Digital Clock, You Can Wear It" info.

Bethesda Blog: Pip-Boy 3000 Replica

saunderez

onemic said:
Nope.

There's plenty of humour. If the reviewers aren't picking up on it then it's obviously going straight over their heads, I had more than a few laugh out loud moments. There is an NPC very early on who is clearly insane and had me laughing my head off.

tmaynard

AgentOtaku said:
yeah that was the one

I wish they'd explain a bit more. According to that post, they were still working on the screen. I'd hope it's a solid item, for those poor guys that are paying big money for it.

At the least it should have an alarm built in, and possibly a radio just to give it an extra feature that the Pip-Boy 3000 really has.

tmaynard said:
I wish they'd explain a bit more. According to that post, they were still working on the screen. I'd hope it's a solid item, for those poor guys that are paying big money for it.

At the least it should have an alarm built in, and possibly a radio just to give it an extra feature that the Pip-Boy 3000 really has.

Which is why, yeah, I don't see how the extra $50 is justifiable

...I was probably going to switch over my regular PS3 edition to the Collector's PC Edition tommorow though

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Pai Pai Master said:

AFAIK...

Only if enough copies sell.

I want clarification as well. So damn badly.

itxaka

Defeatist
So anybody nows if there is a way to get the LE in stores?

I can only find the LE for the ps3 in stores and the CE in amazon.

MacBosse

striKeVillain! said:
Alright, that's something I can agree with. However the game was phenomenal.

Indeed, I put well over 100 hours into Oblivion and for me, that is ALOT.

Looking forward to Fallout 3 the most out of the games I'll be getting for the rest of '08. Fable 2, Dead Space, Saints Row 2, Left 4 Dead, Gears of War 2, Far Cry 2 ... the list goes on and on, but still Fallout 3 remains the number one for me. Hopefully it will deliver.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I'm picking up the PC version since it's half the price and it will no doubt run better on my rig than the console versions. It doesn't hurt that it has achievements too!

Willy Wanka said:
I'm picking up the PC version since it's half the price and it will no doubt run better on my rig than the console versions. It doesn't hurt that it has achievements too!

Where is the PC version half the price? I might pick it up for PC instead

Top Bottom