• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Fallout 3 thread of post-apocalyptic proportions!

No45

I'll never understand the desire to hate a game before you've played it.

I'm really looking forward to this. I don't have it pre-ordered, but I will be picking it up as soon as I'm done with Bioshock and Dead Space.

been looking forward to fallout 3 for years now. ive accepted it wont be what i thought it would be a while ago im just hoping its a good game now.

You can use my thread banner if you want:

owg_thread.jpg

Man I am really looking forward to this game :D

Teknoman said:
HA! :lol

As for Oblivion hating, I didnt really like the game after awhile since the monsters and equipment really werent all that interesting or diverse. Same for the locations. Fallout 3 seems to have a decent amount of enemy and equipment diversity. That and the weapons/combat system actually feels like it has an "impact" to it. The Oblivion battle system just felt too stiff...and there really wasnt any impact feel to the hits.
That's the problem I have with Fallout 3. Absolutely NOTHING happens when you shoot someone. They will keep running at you like nothing happened while you stand there blasting at them with a minigun.

itxaka

Defeatist
AndyMoogle said:
That's the problem I have with Fallout 3. Absolutely NOTHING happens when you shoot someone. They will keep running at you like nothing happened while you stand there blasting at them with a minigun.

I don't think that happens on any fps that i have seen lately. It happens when you cripped a leg or a head that they stop and feel the impact but I believe that a system like that will totally flaw any game with it.

No45 said:
The thread should be titled "The Official Fallout 3 Thread Of Oblivion Fallout".

That being said I traded in Silent Hill: HC last week to pre-order this game so it better be good.

No45 said:

I'm really looking forward to this. I don't have it pre-ordered, but I will be picking it up as soon as I'm done with Bioshock and Dead Space.
It's Oblivion gameplay and Bethesda. Two things I hate most to have associated with the Fallout series.

Darklord

Banned
Prime crotch said:
It's Oblivion gameplay and Bethesda. Two things I hate most to have associated with the Fallout series.

Yeah Black Isle Studios should of made it. Oh wait they closed and the original Fallout 3 was canned.

It's this or nothing, ever.

Darklord said:
Yeah Black Isle Studios should of made it. Oh wait they closed and the original Fallout 3 was canned.

Obsidian has members of the original FO team, and between this or nothing I chose nothing. Why couldn't Bethesda simply make a new IP is beyond me, maybe gamers do love numerical sequels and boosts comercial sales.

Darklord

Banned
Prime crotch said:
Obsidian has members of the original FO team, and between this or nothing I chose nothing. Why couldn't Bethesda simply make a new IP is beyond me, maybe gamers do love numerical sequels and boosts comercial sales.

Obsidian are average at best.

Bethesda make good games. Morrowind was fucking amazing, Oblivion wasn't as good but still bloody fun and one of the best RPG's this gen. Fallout 3 looks to be better than Oblivion with the same massive amount of content. I'm happy with that.

Why do they need to make a new IP? 3 games in a series isn't big anymore.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Actually before the account surges and back when it came out, quite the opposite, it was one of few rare threads to break 10,000 posts in the gaming forum.

to be fair tho, im in that thread, way back then, bitching about level scaling, im consistent, even if stubborn *beats dead horse into dust*

onemic said:
Nope it doesn't. Beth said they were concerned with getting the game out, so the PC version wont come with mod support out of the box, and it may not get mod support at all.

well the chances are still better that the pc version will have mods vs the console, plus you dont need an sdk for texture replacements, or script extenders like obse is, plus I gotta make my new 3d card do something other than crysis (Just got a 280gtx with gig of vid ram).

Tieno

Look at all the whiny fuckers already complaining.

Who cares if Fallout 3 is Oblivion with guns, Oblivion is fucking awesome. Fallout (3) has been usurped by console gamers and Bethesda fans and fans of Oblivion and now belongs to us.

zaidr

Prime crotch said:

Its not like Oblivion, actually. I tried playing a bit of it, thinking it was like Oblivion, and I was sorely mistaken. I tried playing a subway section like it was a dungeon in Oblivion, and when I saw there was no "cool" thing at the end for me to fight or find, I was bummed out. But thats the thing with this game...its so much more about making decisions and carrying though plot points. Its a game less about leveling up and gaining skills, (though thats fun too) and more about experiencing the effed up shit in the world and its people.

I enjoyed Oblivion up til the point where I said to myself, "Why am I doing this?"
I don't think that'll ever happen in this game...just by how the game is made.

Tieno said:
Look at all the whiny fuckers already complaining.

Who cares if Fallout 3 is Oblivion with guns, Oblivion is fucking awesome. Fallout (3) has been usurped by console gamers and Bethesda fans and fans of Oblivion and now belongs to us.

no your opinion is wrong, sorry.

Darklord said:
Obsidian are average at best.
Oh you are so wrong. KOTOR II was the better game, even with all the bugs due to the unfair deadline, but still a better game than KOTOR, and Neverwinter Nights 2 is by far one of the best RPGs of the past few years.

Darklord said:
Bethesda make good games. Morrowind was fucking amazing, Oblivion wasn't as good but still bloody fun and one of the best RPG's this gen. Fallout 3 looks to be better than Oblivion with the same massive amount of content. I'm happy with that.

No they don't, both Morrowind and Oblivon were mediocre until the mod community fixed them, and it sure doesn't help that I just don't like Bethesda games, unmodded at least. Except for Call of Chtullhu but that wasn't even done by them I think.

Fonds

Darklord said:

I of a banana.

And I choose nothing, rather than having some hack reanimate the corpse of a long lost best friend.

Darklord

Banned
ZombieSupaStar said:
no your opinion is wrong, sorry.

It isn't as bad as people think. People just think it's cool to hate Oblivion.

Just like how when EA bought out Westwood everyone was whining that EA ruined the C&C. So far they've made 2 C&C games. Both of them great. Now everyone has stopped complaining.

If Fallout 3 is great then liking Bethesda will be cool again like back when everyone loved Morrowind.

Prime crotch said:
Oh you are so wrong. KOTOR II was the better game, even with all the bugs due to the unfair deadline, but still a better game than KOTOR, and Neverwinter Nights 2 is by far one of the best RPGs of the past few years.

ive had kotor 2 for like 3 years now and am still waiting to play through it (when team gizka is done) I got to the first swoop races before and my bike was stuck in the jump position... I quit then, hopefully they found a work around when the restored content mod is released.

Darklord said:

Just like how when EA bought out Westwood everyone was whining that EA ruined the C&C. So far they've made 2 C&C games. Both of them great. Now everyone has stopped complaining.

If Fallout 3 is great then liking Bethesda will be cool again like back when everyone loved Morrowind.

oblivion woulda been fine for me, had it reigned in the scaling (which it did on pc, due the to community fixing the game, yet again, like they did for morrowind), I look at current bethesda games as decent sandbox frameworks, then the pc crew goes into and mods and polishes into a better game, im sure the same will happen in fallout 3 (reading nma, they find the most miniscule stuff that shouldnt be there, I dunno, more power to them for catching it I suppose).

So i'll play thru the game vanilla (since the insane scaling has been rethought a bit) and then jump into mods (with or without an sdk).

I've got my CE paid off already. It's just waiting for me to pick it up next tuesday....

and today I'm getting BioShock (never played it) on my PS3.... it's going to be a busy November at my house!!! :D :D :D

gah...its bizarre...I found many aspects of oblivion mediocre at best and gave up playing well before completion...but even I think it is good game in many aspects...what it lacked was important however: a compelling central narrative and characters....this is what bethesda really needed to address for this game...

What is bizarre is the amount of hate oblivion now garners on here...it is like the GTA IV debacle... I was never a huge fan of the series and felt the fourth installment repeated many of the tedious aspects of previous games, but I found the level of hate on here ridiculous

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
nelsonroyale said:
What is bizarre is the amount of hate oblivion now garners on here...it is like the GTA IV debacle... I was never a huge fan of the series and felt the fourth installment repeated many of the tedious aspects of previous games, but I found the level of hate on here ridiculous
I think mainly because Oblivion was the game that heralded 360 graphics with trumpets, much akin to the FPS wars fought over 360 vs PS3 dominance over the past two years or so. People eventually woke up and realised that they were supporting a game that was nothing more than a pretty cover to entice buyers.

Plus Elder Scrolls fans already knew that Morrowind was the better game in the series.

Darklord

Banned
ZombieSupaStar said:
oblivion woulda been fine for me, had it reigned in the scaling (which it did on pc, due the to community fixing the game, yet again, like they did for morrowind), I look at current bethesda games as decent sandbox frameworks, then the pc crew goes into and mods and polishes into a better game, im sure the same will happen in fallout 3 (reading nma, they find the most miniscule stuff that shouldnt be there, I dunno, more power to them for catching it I suppose).

So i'll play thru the game vanilla (since the insane scaling has been rethought a bit) and then jump into mods (with or without an sdk).

Mods make any game better. Just because there are hundreds of people making different mods you can't hold that against them. The games were made for mods in mind as well.

Prime crotch said:

Kotor 2 had some of the worst characters ever and a shit and extremely obvious twist. There were areas that were completely pointless(that were finished) and G0-T0...god damn I hated that robot, I mean holy shit how did he get past the idea stage?

No they don't, both Morrowind and Oblivon were mediocre until the mod community fixed them, and it sure doesn't help that I just don't like Bethesda games, unmodded at least. Except for Call of Chtullhu but that wasn't even done by them I think.

Morrowind was amazing from day 1, unmodded. One thing Bethesda games have is AMAZING atmosphere.

Darklord said:

How about Morrowind hate? Too cool for school? I never liked Morrowind, heck I even found Oblivon to be a lot better than Morrowind.

ZombieSupaStar said:
ive had kotor 2 for like 3 years now and am still waiting to play through it (when team gizka is done) I got to the first swoop races before and my bike was stuck in the jump position... I quit then, hopefully they found a work around when the restored content mod is released.
I think you should do at least one run before the Gizka patch just to see what will change; at least until the part where it seems like it was done by a different team, the last area of the game was such a rushed mess.
Darklord said:
Morrowind was amazing from day 1, unmodded. One thing Bethesda games have is AMAZING atmosphere.
No sir, I didn't like it.

Darklord

Banned
Prime crotch said:
How about Morrowind hate? Too cool for school? I never liked Morrowind, heck I even found Oblivon to be a lot better than Morrowind.

I think you should do at least one run before the Gizka patch just to see what will change; at least until the part where it seems like it was done by a different team, the last area of the game was such a rushed mess.

No sir, I didn't like it.

You might not have liked Morrowind but Oblivion got all the hate it did because it wasn't as deep and as awesome as Morrowind.

Barrett2

I miss the official thread from yesterday. :(

This game looks good, I never played Oblivion, but I don't think I can resist a post-apocalyptic Washington D.C. This game looks too good to ignore!

saunderez

zaidr said:
I feel sick reading though this thread. People don't like games they have never played. Amazing.
And they totally ignore the posts from people who have played the game and have good things to say about it. It's great isn't it. Give the game a chance and you'll love it. Fuck the haters.

2 major things that concern me.

1. from all the videos it seems like the enemies have no AI or hit detection. they dont really react to being hit they seem to just stand there shooting with blood squirting out of them.

2. Oblivion had some of the worst NPC AI ever hope it does not happen in this version. The stealth was awful due to this. (random guards appearing out of nowhere and stuff.)

anyword on if these things have been fixed?

speedpop said:
I think mainly because Oblivion was the game that heralded 360 graphics with trumpets, much akin to the FPS wars fought over 360 vs PS3 dominance over the past two years or so. People eventually woke up and realised that they were supporting a game that was nothing more than a pretty cover to entice buyers.

Plus Elder Scrolls fans already knew that Morrowind was the better game in the series.

Well I came in as a fan of the ultima series...and that series had done many of the aspects present in oblivion a decade before.

Still, what I am saying is that it was far from a bad game...it was just very ambitious and had many flaws. Lair is a bad game, there is little arguing there. Again, bare in mind this is coming from someone who was not exactly a fan of oblivion on the whole.

No45

Kabuki Waq said:
1. from all the videos it seems like the enemies have no AI or hit detection. they dont really react to being hit they seem to just stand there shooting with blood squirting out of them.
I can only assume that the AI is built around the VATS system, which will all but lock you into combat once it's initiated?

Do we know if there's an option that FORCES the use of VATS? I know you can hit a button to engage it, but I'd like it so that it's automatically enabled when I'm attacked as well.

I think I'm going to end up waiting on Fallout 3. I'll probably get it before the year is out but I've got too much going on right now in my life, and I will be getting Fable 2 today. But I'll definitely get Fallout 3 a little bit down the road.

Pellham

Banned
Prime crotch said:

Good. Hope you stay far away from the game so the rest of us normal people can enjoy it.

This is just stupid. Just because Oblivion isn't as good as Morrowind doesn't change the fact that Oblivion was a great game. Especially when compared to most other RPGs out there.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Pellham said:
This is just stupid. Just because Oblivion isn't as good as Morrowind doesn't change the fact that Oblivion was a great game. Especially when compared to most other RPGs out there.
There's an Oblivion PC mods thread on GAF for a reason. It obviously heightens the experience of playing the game to a certain degree that it deserves said thread.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Why did VG+ delete the Collector's Edition pre-order all of a sudden?!

MidiSurf

Banned
Here is the button without white background.

23k3ptj.gif

Fallout 3 will be day one for me but I still have doubts about this game and I'm prepared for disappointment.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
just received a review copy of Fallout 3. I find it kind of humorous how the game starts out with character customization. Between this, Fable 2, and Dead Space (not to mention other games like Spider-man, Need for Speed, etc.) I'd say this is one of the best gaming months for me so far and that's not including LittleBigPlanet which I don't have yet and a few others.

Pellham said:
Good. Hope you stay far away from the game so the rest of us normal people can enjoy it.
I'm intending so, unless someone offers me the game or I get it under 20$.
zaidr said:
I feel sick reading though this thread. People don't like games they have never played. Amazing.
Then you shouldn't read the new Golden Axe thread oh wait since it's a SEGA game it's okay to bash.

I'm looking forward to Fallout 3 more than any other game this fall. Can't wait for it to drop next week.

I don't get all the comparisons to Oblivion though. Sure they're made by the same developer and share the same engine, although it's been modified quite a bit. But that's about where the comparisons end. Someone saying they won't like Fallout 3 because they didn't like Oblivion is a lot like saying I didn't like Gears of War so I'm not going to enjoy UT3 either.

Top Bottom