• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Fallout 3 thread of post-apocalyptic proportions!

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Otheradam said:
So I did the Tenpenny quest and I helped
the grouls move in to live with the humans. Later I came back and all the humans were gone and I asked one of the grouls what happened and they said they got annoyed and killed them all!
:lol

I didn't finish the paradise falls quest yet. Since
the women you need to enslave from Tenpenny is dead now
can I still finish this?

haha I did the opposite

I killed Roy in his sleep with a shotgun blast to the head, then I followed it up with my flame thrower and the gatling laser on his girlfriend

slayn said:
I tried for like 2 hours to get to rivet city by going through DC and the subways. I even had a quest marker and was following where it told me to go and what subways to take. I never got there through DC.

What I ended up doing was giving up and just walking along the coast around the whole damn city.
There has to be a better way...this is main quest stuff, it should be more obvious...

lionelhutz

What's the easiest way to get to
Rivet City?
. I have a few metro stations I can use but I'm getting tired of the dead ends in the city and metro.

Otheradam said:
I didn't finish the paradise falls quest yet. Since
the women you need to enslave from Tenpenny is dead now
can I still finish this?

Ya it should let you, I had already killed arkansas before I even got that quest and it let me finish it.

lionelhutz said:
What's the easiest way to get to
Rivet City?
. I have a few metro stations I can use but I'm getting tired of the dead ends in the city and metro.

Stick to the river. Follow it basically all the way down. Helps if you have a rad suit, or rad away.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Stick to the river. Follow it basically all the way down. Helps if you have a rad suit, or rad away.
Awesome, thanks.

The Lamonster said:
Also, when do I get the dog? And what other party members can join? Do they just follow me around all the time? I couldn't pick up Jericho because I'm too nice and no one else has said they want to join me...
Anyone?

lionelhutz

The one that goes past the house with the hookers? I think it's called
Dorak's house
or something like that?

Otheradam

The Lamonster said:

Pretty sure the dog is not part of the main story line. He's just at the scrapyard. If you go you can get him. I'm like 35 hours into the game/lvl 17 and I still haven't gone yet.

[HP]

The Lamonster said:
How do I get to Rivet city? I tried walking from the capitol and it's blocked off.

Do the moira quests on megaton, eventually she'll send you over to Rivet City, marking it on the map and telling you the best way to get there.

GL

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Otheradam said:
Pretty sure the dog is not part of the main story line. He's just at the scrapyard. If you go you can get him. I'm like 35 hours into the game/lvl 17 and I still haven't gone yet.

Ah yes poor dogmeat. I came out of the georgetown subway and there were 4 super mutants, 3 defenders/bounty hunters, 1 centaur and a super mutant brute. Poor thing died but I got awesome loot from that fight.

Egg Shen

The Lamonster said:
Also, when do I get the dog? And what other party members can join? Do they just follow me around all the time? I couldn't pick up Jericho because I'm too nice and no one else has said they want to join me...
You'll run into most of the others during the course of the main quest when it sends you to other locations, but there's not a whole lot of them out there. They can follow you around all the time if you want them to, but you can always fire them and they'll go to a default location where they'll hang out until you need them again. As for Dogmeat,
I completely missed him on my first playthrough, but he's at a salvage yard location in the northwest quadrant of the map somewhere. You have to rescue him. I don't know if you can park him like you can other NPCs, and I remember hearing that if he dies, he dies.

lionelhutz

[HP] said:
Do the moira quests on megaton, eventually she'll send you over to Rivet City, marking it on the map and telling you the best way to get there.

GL

I have it on my map but I was looking for clarification on the path. I've wasted so much time trying to get places only to find dead ends. I was hoping to avoid the dead ends on my way there.

Aaron

AgentOtaku said:
Already tried that and it's unfortunately not =/
I only switch to first to pick up loot. It's easily playable in third. You just need to remember to aim if you're not shooting in VATS.

[HP]

lionelhutz said:
I have it on my map but I was looking for clarification on the path. I've wasted so much time trying to get places only to find dead ends. I was hoping to avoid the dead ends on my way there.

Mmm, I see..

Just like it has been said, follow the river dude! ;) you'll get there.

eXistor

The Lamonster said:

If you follow the main quest you automatically get 2 characters if you're playing as Very Good
Star Paladin Cross and Fawkes the Super Mutant (though I don't think you have to be Very Good for him to join)

Lumine

Hmm, about 5-10 hours in and getting to know the game better, I noticed I should've spent my points/stats differently. In my planescape mentality I put lots in charisma and speach. They don't seem that useful nor fun in this game. I wonder if I should start over. I'd rather not waste another 5-10 hours doing the same thing instead of progressing with sightly different stats that barely have any impact on the game, ya know? :p

Starting to like the game a lot more. It takes a while to get used to the world and what you can or cannot do.

Something really weird happened with this game. I had been playing it over the weekend and during my last save before going to bed I decided to look at my total play time.

I thought it would be like 2 and a half hours but it was about eight. This game just sucks you in!

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Lumine said:
Hmm, about 5-10 hours in and getting to know the game better, I noticed I should've spent my points/stats differently. In my planescape mentality I put lots in charisma and speach. They don't seem that useful nor fun in this game. I wonder if I should start over. I'd rather not waste another 5-10 hours doing the same thing instead of progressing with sightly different stats that barely have any impact on the game, ya know? :p

Starting to like the game a lot more. It takes a while to get used to the world and what you can or cannot do.
Huh? Speech has seemed to be one of the most valuable skills to have to me.

Is it just me, or did anyone else find it a little strange that you didn't get an "end game" achievement. Most games give you an achievement/trophy when you beat the game.

Solideliquid said:
Is it just me, or did anyone else find it a little strange that you didn't get an "end game" achievement. Most games give you an achievement/trophy when you beat the game.

The end isn't a completed quest?

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Blizzard said:
From what people have said here, you can't play anymore once you finish the game (though I guess you could go back to older saves).

I wonder how that's going to work with the exclusive DLC they have planned for 360 and pc

Can someone please tell me how to get the fatman?

Blizzard said:
From what people have said here, you can't play anymore once you finish the game (though I guess you could go back to older saves).

I knew that, but I figured it would still be part of a named quest, for which most give you an achievement for completing.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
gamerecks said:
Fawkes is great. Is supposed to be cultured, but when it comes to battle he goes just as crazy as a regular supermutant.

I love him. "HA HA HA TOO FUN" gets me every time. :lol

joelseph

Uh, how do I get to Rivet City? I took a break to sample other great games and I have lost my bearings on the map. My quest marker is a straight dotted line crossing the river pointing at Rivet but I can't remember if I should be going through the Metro or what? Could someone nudge me in the right direction?

joelseph said:
Uh, how do I get to Rivet City? I took a break to sample other great games and I have lost my bearings on the map. My quest marker is a straight dotted line crossing the river pointing at Rivet but I can't remember if I should be going through the Metro or what? Could someone nudge me in the right direction?
um, read the rest of this here page

Koomaster

The Lamonster said:
Something really weird happened with this game. I had been playing it over the weekend and during my last save before going to bed I decided to look at my total play time.

I thought it would be like 2 and a half hours but it was about eight. This game just sucks you in!
Same here. I can easily end up playing 5 hours in a row if I have the time. I am a few quests away from the ending and my file is already over 50 hours.

not really a spoiler, so i'm not gonna mark it, hope that's ok

how in the hell do i get to Dukov's? I keep wandering around in the subway and on the map, and i keep ending up at the mall or pennsylvania ave.

JodyAnthony said:

how in the hell do i get to Dukov's? I keep wandering around in the subway and on the map, and i keep ending up at the mall or pennsylvania ave.

IIRC, it's south of the Tepid Sewers. You can get there by walking. I happened upon it by chance.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
JodyAnthony said:

sounds like you're a bit lost in the downtown d.c. area, which is understandable. the various connecting metros are labyrinthine. go to the mall, and head down toward the capital building. go through the west entrance and exit the east entrance just across the hall, and you should be heading toward the connecting parts of downtown d.c. that will eventually get you through to that northern region.

if i recall correctly, though, you can bypass all that by fast-traveling somewhere a bit to the west outside downtown d.c. and just walking north then east to where dukov lives.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
there's a mission in which you're tasked with assassinating the robotic incarnation of george w. bush. this isn't such a difficult proposition, since he's only programmed to eat his own mechanical boogers

pringles

damn, I'm already level 16 and haven't even touched the main quest (beyond Megaton at the very beginning).
Right now I'm kinda debating whether to do the main quest before I reach 20 or to keep exploring and doing sidequests.. still feel like I've barely gotten started on the game.

I heard Jericho complain about running out of smokes, so I gave him a carton of cig's and now he smokes all the time. Also had a random scavenger comment on how he went to trade at Megaton but found a smoking crater instead. I love cool little touches like that. Anyone else noticed other little things that enhance the overall immersion?

slayn

needs to show more effort.
SuperEnemyCrab said:
I heard Jericho complain about running out of smokes, so I gave him a carton of cig's and now he smokes all the time. Also had a random scavenger comment on how he went to trade at Megaton but found a smoking crater instead. I love cool little touches like that. Anyone else noticed other little things that enhance the overall immersion?
I reloaded after I did it just because I was curious, but I thought it was neat how they handle the situation at GNR if you
kill threedog and then listen to the radio

Also, it is generally a good idea to follow npc's after you complete quests. Often they go do stuff and have scripted conversations/confrontations that aren't part of the quest, but that you can watch play out if you follow them.

Egg Shen

The Lamonster said:
oh shit, is the White House in this game?
Sure is.
Don't get too excited, though. I was looking for it myself and once I found Pennsylvania Ave, I followed it until I ran into a small Brotherhood checkpoint, twisted fence, and a crater with a few scattered columns lying around. I didn't think that was it, but there's a tunnel nearby that leads to the bottom of the hole and then lets you know that "You have found the White House".

SuperEnemyCrab said:
NPCs complain about me to "watch it" when I knock over something in their presence. Super Mutants are hilarious when you shoot weapons out of their hands and nearly kill them as they run away screaming that they're hurt. When I attacked Paradise Falls, for whatever reason, both of Eulogy's girls started attacking each other with their swords. Random encounters out in the wastes are also funny. When the Enclave was setting up shop at checkpoints throughout the Wasteland, they'd run into all sorts of problems with the locals.

One checkpoint was set up near a rest stop, one of those Red Rocket car parks, and I guess they ran into some trouble with raiders. I was walking when I heard the sound of lasers and gunfire, and then saw the fight below the rise I was on. There was a huge explosion from the car that was there that killed most of the Enclave along with the one guy that attacked them. Good loot.

Watching Deathclaws run into raiders and robots is also pretty amusing.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Speaking of random happenings, I came up over a ridge the other day and caught the smoke trail of what I assume was a missile going up into the air, where it made a right angle turn and carried along horizontally for a bit before exploding.

Thinking, WTF, I went down into the valley from whence it came, but there was no one there. No bodies, nothing. No idea where it came from.

Saya

Got a weird bug today while making my way to Vault 112. I came across a Super Mutant Behemoth in a ruined town near a church, but he didn't do anything. He never attacked me or moved. I just stood in front of him and killed him. He did drop stuff after he died though. I hope the bug won't affect my game later on. Anyway, one less Behemoth to kill I guess. :lol

Also, where can I find
Tenpenny
and
Ted Strayer
for the You Gotta Shoot 'Em In The Head quest.

BeeDog

Alright, need some help. Just got to paradise falls and the (minor spoilers)
Strictly Business
quest, where you have to
enslave a couple of people with the Mezmeriser
. I don't want to pay for the entrance, but I also don't wanna skip the quest (I'm an achievent whore), so my question is:

Does this quest give bad karma for every
slave you take in
? Is there a way of doing it without getting bad karma?

BeeDog said:
Does this quest give bad karma for every
slave you take in
?

Yes, at least for everyone on the list. I haven't tried it on some random person, but I assume you will get bad karma as well. Also if you karma is already low enough you can get into Paradise Falls right away.

BeeDog

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Yes, at least for everyone on the list. I haven't tried it on some random person, but I assume you will get bad karma as well. Also if you karma is already low enough you can get into Paradise Falls right away.

Does your karma get a substantial hit then? I'm a very goody-two-shoes character, and really don't want it ruined because of this quest.

verio

Loudninja said:
Ok again whats up with the characters killing themsleves?Now I cant sale scrap ,metal to that guy.

Hey, it's the Wasteland. Maybe he was scavenging the local junkyard for scrap metal and was torn limb from limb by a pack of rabid dogs.
Or, it's a bug
;-)

Top Bottom