• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Fallout 3 thread of post-apocalyptic proportions!

voltron

Mad Hatter said:
Dang, I guess I sorta rushed through the game then. I didn't even reach level 20. I think I got to level 16 or 17. I didn't spend a lot time exploring the wasteland - particularly the northeast and the southwest. Maybe through the next playthrough I'll explore more - but this time as a kung fu demolitions expert :D

Seems to me you missed the point entirely.

Only a complete re-run with reaching lvl20 and playing at least 100hrs will redeem yourself.

voltron

Darkflight said:
Holy crap, I'm not looking forward to meeting that.

They are nasty little fuckers, thats for sure. While definitely not necessary, it can be beneficial to have a Fatboy on hand to deal with these guys.

AniHawk

Darkflight said:
Holy crap, I'm not looking forward to meeting that.

I ran across some place called Deathclaw Sanctuary tonight. Luckily I had to only face off against two. I high-tailed it the fuck out of there.

And yeah, I mini-nuked their asses.

Tieno

xbhaskarx said:
Damnit, I've sold like ten of those

What is the point of saving scrap metal? I have just been selling them in Megaton for 10 caps each.
Oh, I did that first too, but then I found him dead somewhere in megaton, killed, (like the 3rd person in megaton now that's mysteriously dead) and then after a while I met someone else who gave me either stim paks, rad-away or some other thing for it. But I don't go there every time I have new scrap metal, will go there at some point in time though. Also stumbled across a trader in the wasteland who had 12 scrap metal for 1 bottlecap a piece, bought it all.

I enjoyed Oblivion a lot despite it's flaws. I'm interested in Fallout 3, but I did wonder about how the loot levelling works?

I've searched this thread and read many reviews, but no one seems to mention the loot leveling mechanic.

In Oblivion the loot you found in any Dungeon was tied to your character's level. The higher your character's level the better the loot. The problem with this approach was that there was no incentive to go exploring early in the game because you were a low level character and the loot was crap. Later on in the game you were a high level character and you didn't need the loot, none of it was unique or special enough. (bandits with glass armour!)

How does Fallout 3 handle loot levelling?

In an ideal world I'd like the loot to be unique and specific to each area, and the enemies difficulty used to moderate the ease with which you can obtain this stuff. This is how many JRPGs tend to handle loot levelling, which makes exploring worthwhile.

My favourite bit of Oblivion was coming across Vindisal early in the game and figuring out a way how my low level character could accomplish obtaining that stuff.

Is there going to be similar opportunities in Fallout 3.

Tieno

Nick Laslett said:
I'm enjoyed Oblivion a lot despite it's flaws. I'm interested in Fallout 3, but I did wonder about how the loot levelling works?

I've searched this thread and read many reviews, but no one seems to mention the loot leveling mechanic.

In Oblivion the loot you found in any Dungeon was tied to your character's level. The higher your character's level the better the loot. The problem with this approach was that there was no incentive to go exploring early in the game because you were a low level character and the loot was crap. Later on in the game you were a high level character and you didn't need the loot, none of it was unique or special enough. (bandits with glass armour!)

How does Fallout 3 handle loot levelling?

In an ideal world I'd like the loot to be unique and specific to each area, and the enemies difficulty used to moderate the ease with which you can obtain this stuff. This is how many JRPGs tend to handle loot levelling, which makes exploring worthwhile.

My favourite bit of Oblivion was coming across Vindisal early in the game and figuring out a way how my low level character could accomplish obtaining that stuff.

Is there going to be similar opportunities in Fallout 3.
Afaik there's no loot levelling. The closest thing to it is your repair skill, the higher that gets the higher the chance of finding a better conditioned weapon (I think) or the more you can repair a weapon or armor to a higher attack or armor rating. Same with lockpick skill.
Through exploring I've found some pretty good stuff.

Tieno said:
Afaik there's no loot levelling. The closest thing to it is your repair skill, the higher that gets the higher the chance of finding a better conditioned weapon (I think) or the more you can repair a weapon or armor to a higher attack or armor rating. Same with lockpick skill.

That is interesting, maybe I have misunderstood this RPG element of Fallout 3?

How do I get better weapons? In Oblivion I could go to a shop, or take it off a dead NPC, or find it in a dungeon. The only problem being the weapon would only be as good as my current level would allow.

If I went out exploring in the wasteland would I find a better weapon, either from an NPC or in a locker?

I guess this is real Fallout 101, sorry for my ignorance.

Same question for armour, or am I thinking too much in a trad. RPG frame of reference?

Tieno

Nick Laslett said:
That is interesting, maybe I have misunderstood this RPG element of Fallout 3?

How do I get better weapons? In Oblivion I could go to a shop, or take it off a dead NPC, or find it in a dungeon. The only problem being the weapon would only be as good as my current level would allow.

If I went out exploring in the wasteland would I find a better weapon, either from an NPC or in a locker?

Same question for armour, or am I thinking too much in a trad. RPG frame of reference?
I'm not completely sure. You kill npc's or find them, it's combination of repair skill (the higher the better conditioned it is or you repair them to a higher condition), luck and place/enemy I guess. You can find every weapon from the beginning, but they're usually in a shittier condition (especially if you target the npc's gun in VATS) so you have to repair them yourself or you go to a shop and pay someone to repair them. There are also unique weapons around the world which are better, if you stumble upon them/do quests.
Don't think it's as limited as Oblivion, you can can come across some fairly high powered gear soon.

eznark

Banned
Finally grabbed this on the PC last week. I put about 20 hours into it, and still haven't moved on to the second big town. The side quests are fantastic.

convincing the cannibals to work with the little settlement was pretty dope

If it stays this amazing it will easily be my game of the year.

Also, somehow I lost Dogmeat and cannot find him anymore. He wasn't killed as far as I know, I sent him to look for food and he was never heard from again.

Steeven

So I'm about 10 hours into my second playthrough with an evil character, but the game isn't as fun as the first playthrough. I'm done with it. And because there aren't that many areas where you can actually do something, this game won't get another playthrough for me in the future. I wonder if some download content can change this, but at this moment, though I really liked the game, it's dead to me. On to Left 4 Dead then.

Sephon

Nick Laslett said:

This is one thing I do love about Fallout 3 and hated in Oblivion.
For instance, the first time I started up fallout 3 and ran out in the wasteland completely clueless I stumbled upon a big truck which lured me inside due to all the crates lying around outside.
But my eagerness for loot just got a big ass minigun shoved in my nose by some huge green dude. Needless to say I ran with my 10mm gun, but realised that I wouldn't get far if I ran in a straight line.

So i ran around the truck like a ten year-old kid playing hide & seek, popping of a shot or two every chance I got while he was spinning up that ferocious gun.
Luckily I saw the opportunity to use the enviroment to my advantage, so I lured this huge dude close to a wrecked car and made sure that it was in the line of fire.

Said and done, after a few rounds to my head and more into the car a small nuclear explosion went off and I was a minigun richer.

Ok, I suck at storytelling, but the point is that you can get almost any gun at the beginning of the game if you're lucky or simply smooth.
No more levelling loot.

vareon

Just got and played it. It's pretty much what I expected: Oblivion with guns. Not a bad thing, though. Oblivion was a great game, though I don't really see it as OMG awesome or whatever.

Just got to Megaton and doing that survival guide quest thing. I quickly ran out of ammunition when fighting, though. What's the best way of earning caps?

Ourobolus

Banned
Tieno said:
Oh, I did that first too, but then I found him dead somewhere in megaton, killed, (like the 3rd person in megaton now that's mysteriously dead) and then after a while I met someone else who gave me either stim paks, rad-away or some other thing for it. But I don't go there every time I have new scrap metal, will go there at some point in time though. Also stumbled across a trader in the wasteland who had 12 scrap metal for 1 bottlecap a piece, bought it all.

Where is this guy? I'm playing through this time as an evil character and blew up Megaton. I've passed over a ton of scrap metal in the meantime.

Also, if anyone wants a bunch of scrap, the store in The Family's den has a ton of it, but you have to steal it.

Sephon said:
This is one thing I do love about Fallout 3 and hated in Oblivion.
For instance, the first time I started up fallout 3 and ran out in the wasteland completely clueless I stumbled upon a big truck which lured me inside due to all the crates lying around outside.
But my eagerness for loot just got a big ass minigun shoved in my nose by some huge green dude. Needless to say I ran with my 10mm gun, but realised that I wouldn't get far if I ran in a straight line.

So i ran around the truck like a ten year-old kid playing hide & seek, popping of a shot or two every chance I got while he was spinning up that ferocious gun.
Luckily I saw the opportunity to use the enviroment to my advantage, so I lured this huge dude close to a wrecked car and made sure that it was in the line of fire.

Said and done, after a few rounds to my head and more into the car a small nuclear explosion went off and I was a minigun richer.

Ok, I suck at storytelling, but the point is that you can get almost any gun at the beginning of the game if you're lucky or simply smooth.
No more levelling loot.

Sounds just like I wanted to hear. Great thanks for the comment.

CoG

GreekWolf said:
30 hours in, and still discovering new creatures out in the wasteland. Something... huge... very much resembling a werewolf just pounced on me out of nowhere and tore me a new hole.

I didn't catch the name, but yikes that thing was nasty.

Deathclaw? Found those bastards last night.

Tieno

Ourobolus said:
Where is this guy? I'm playing through this time as an evil character and blew up Megaton. I've passed over a ton of scrap metal in the meantime.

Also, if anyone wants a bunch of scrap, the store in The Family's den has a ton of it, but you have to steal it.
A ghoul called Winthrop at the Museum of History, Ghoul City/Underworld.

MMaRsu

Banned
So what's the 'other' reward you can get for the 'quest' to find pre-war books for some brotherhood woman in the library?

Tieno

<3 Animal Lover perk II. Not only do Yogi bears (real name is too hard to remember) not attack me, they are great hemlpers. Stumbled on a Enclave Soldier and he got sandwiched by two Yogi bears who happened to be in the area and came to my aid. Got killed instantly and looted his power armor.

eznark said:
Finally grabbed this on the PC last week. I put about 20 hours into it, and still haven't moved on to the second big town. The side quests are fantastic.

convincing the cannibals to work with the little settlement was pretty dope

If it stays this amazing it will easily be my game of the year.

Also, somehow I lost Dogmeat and cannot find him anymore. He wasn't killed as far as I know, I sent him to look for food and he was never heard from again.

Exactly, I just did the "Blood Ties" quest too the other night. Pretty amazing if indeed the majority of sidequests are as good as that one!

Egg Shen

Nick Laslett said:

Most of the time from what I've seen, yes, many areas have specific encounter sets with corresponding weapons. Oblivion's scaled weapon system didnt' seem to rear its ugly head here. Wander into the depths of the Washington DC zone, especially closer to the Capitol building, and you'll run into Brotherhood, mercenary, and Super Mutant types en masse throwing high ordinance at each other. Wander outside amidst the wastes, and you'll get raiders, mutants, and the occasional Super Mutant slaving party. Sure, you can get a minigun very early in the game, even a laser rifle or pistol, but that depends on whether you can survive long enough. Even afterwards, the condition and the scarcity of their ammunition that early in blunts some of the Christmas feeling. I remember thinking that I'd kick all sorts of Mad Max ass up and down the wastes after getting a laser rifle, only to see that 1/5 of it was in working condition, I had only a few shots left, and the crappy rifle I had was doing a better job at killing raiders.

There are also caches of weapons scattered everywhere in the wastes, some of which lay untouched in military storage still sealed well after the war. That was one of the things I sought out after ignoring the story, to see if any of the old bases might still have a few toys that I could play with, and many do...along with the appropriate measures to keep them safe.

vareon said:
Just got and played it. It's pretty much what I expected: Oblivion with guns. Not a bad thing, though. Oblivion was a great game, though I don't really see it as OMG awesome or whatever.

Just got to Megaton and doing that survival guide quest thing. I quickly ran out of ammunition when fighting, though. What's the best way of earning caps?
In the beginning, I just sold everything I could get my hands on. Armor, scrap, food...you name it...aside from ammo and weapons unless I had extra pistols, assault rifles, etc.. that I didn't need for repair. Because I was limited at the time in how much I could repair, though, I sold off a lot of those knowing that I'd probably get another collection going with later encounters and for when my repair skill was higher.

Loot every container you find (that won't get you into trouble), break into anything you can, and forage like it really was the Day After. Most of my worries were on ammo and focusing on grabbing as many weapons as possible. Even after playing a saintly character that actually refused caps for payment when it was an option, I had thousands at the end even after spending a chunk on more ammo at most every opportunity.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i haven't done "blood ties" yet. i've triggered its start but haven't continued with it.

and i think there are at least three side quests i've done thus far that are some of the best i've ever played in a video game.

Dyno

Yes it is similar to Oblivion but what hasn't been said enough is that Fallout 3 is a refinement of Oblivion in many deep and meaningful ways. There are far less errors or shortcomings in this title. The developers have learned from past mistakes and this, I feel, is reflected in the title.

- SPECIAL is just plain better than the Elder Scroll's character system and it isn't as exploitable.

- Combat is fun. Between VATS, free shooting, and the variety of weapons there is always something to keep you on your toes.

- In Oblivion you collected herbs for potions but it was too free-form and the results too weak. In the end it wasn't worth the effort. In Fallout you collect junk to make weapons and while the system is smaller the effects are more significant. Learning your schematics, the junk you need, and getting to a work bench is totally worth it. It makes the game feel post-apocolyptic as well.

- Talking with NPCs is more varied and since it runs off SPECIAL it is again not as exploitable.

- The hacking and lockpicking minigames are well done and interesting, even hours in.

- The repairing rules, finding duplicates and merging them, is much better and creates some interesting inventory management strategy. It makes sense that your equipment is always battered to some degree. Again this reinforces the setting.

- Also, anyone who says the game isn't funny/quirky/amusing is just being unfair and hypercritical. Pretty well everything that Moira from Megaton says is off-side or out there. There are many jokes and dry humour to be found in unlikely places.

Proton's have mass? Didn't know they were Catholic.

"GIVE ME THE NAUGHTY NIGHTWEAR!" If you've found that safe you know how bizarre that sequence was.

So I am liking it quite a bit and think Bethesda did a great job.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I actually don't really understand what people are liking about the side quests. Most of them have seemed too fetch questy to me. The blood ties thing was kind of neat I guess but that has been about it. And did really like Riley's Rangers, not because of the quest but because of the 'dungeon.'

What I've found while playing though is that I hate downtown. I find it incredibly boring anytime I have to explore downtown or go through the subways or whatever. But what I have absolutely loved is the little out of the way dungeons or areas that have their own story.

Exploring the other vaults and learning the story through computer reports and holodisks gives the game a very metroid prime kind of feel that I like a lot. And I love places like the Republic of Dave just because they make me laugh.

Struct09

I agree with the lockpicking being well done. It actually does kind of feel like you're picking a lock, and it doesn't get annoying or old.

slayn said:
What I've found while playing though is that I hate downtown. I find it incredibly boring anytime I have to explore downtown or go through the subways or whatever. But what I have absolutely loved is the little out of the way dungeons or areas that have their own story.

I feel similar. It's very frustrating, especially in a game that's so tense in terms of survival and amount of ammo and how easy it is to find yourself way over your head very quickly, to have an arrow point you in a certain direction only to find a wall of rubble blocking your path and no idea which way will get you around it, or to go through a nearby Metro only to find that you've ended up in completely the wrong place.

That being said, it does indeed feel a lot like the experience one would have if you spent your whole life in a Vault and suddenly found yourself in The Capital Wasteland.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Are there any rules to it that I'm missing? Or any cues besides the rumble?

There's a rumble lol?

What I do is move the pin around until I see that it allows me to turn the lock a bit. Then I know I'm closer. Then I do fine adjustments in each direction to see if I'm getting closer. The closer you get to the correct position the further you'll be able to turn the lock. Stop turning when it hits a snag so you don't break your pic.

Ourobolus

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Are there any rules to it that I'm missing? Or any cues besides the rumble?

The one major rule is that as difficulty goes up, the window you have to unlock it is lowered.

For instance, Very Easy gives you something like a 30 degree angle in which you can unlock it, whil Very Hard might be something like 3 degrees (total estimate, but you get my point).

Other than that, you should be able to turn the lock more the closer you are to the "sweet spot." Since I'm playing on PC, there is no rumble, so I have to go off of visual cues.

gregor7777 said:
There's a rumble lol?

What I do is move the pin around until I see that it allows me to turn the lock a bit. Then I know I'm closer. Then I do fine adjustments in each direction to see if I'm getting closer. The closer you get to the correct position the further you'll be able to turn the lock. Stop turning when it hits a snag so you don't break your pic.

Oh okay. I was doing it right. Just wondering if you hear a click when it's at the right spot. I think I just need to be better at it.

One thing I love unabashedly is hacking. I got a 0/8 once and almost jumped out of my chair. What luck! 8 letters I can cross off the list! That is seriously fun stuff.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Been looting since I got the strength perk to get the extra 50 pounds of weight capacity. Up to 3900 caps I'm so proud of myself after being broke for so long. Thanks to the dude that gave the advice on repairing the items and then selling them, it has really helped a lot.

eXistor

slayn said:
I actually don't really understand what people are liking about the side quests. Most of them have seemed too fetch questy to me. The blood ties thing was kind of neat I guess but that has been about it. And did really like Riley's Rangers, not because of the quest but because of the 'dungeon.'
I dunno, they feel like pretty unique quests to me. Riley's Rangers was actually my least favorite, but even that had a cool environment to explore. It's all about making your own adventure as you go on quests, really studying the environments can really deepen the experience as most locations have their own story to tell.

eXistor said:
I dunno, they feel like pretty unique quests to me. Riley's Rangers was actually my least favorite, but even that had a cool environment to explore. It's all about making your own adventure as you go on quests, really studying the environments can really deepen the experience as most locations have their own story to tell.

I agree, especially because of the sense of exploration. I'm doing Blood Ties right now and I ended up reaching Arefu at night and just making your way through the brush, and coming up on yet another really ingeniously designed locale, and then getting pointed to three other ones. Sure it's fundamentally a "fetch quest" but unless you just fast travel everywhere and kill the fun, "Fetch Quests" tend to be pretty damn fun and interesting.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i think the strength of the side quests comes from being invested in the world and characters. when i did "big trouble in big town," for instance, it sent me places i hadn't yet discovered--and exploration is very much the element i enjoy most about the game anyway--and showed me some neat, weird sequences i hadn't expected (
super mutant in basement about to eat a dude
). of course the side quests take place within the game's mechanics, and don't stray too far from the rules the game sets forth initially. but the strength is in the variations in those rules or in the major themes in the game from quest to quest.

beelzebozo said:
i think the strength of the side quests comes from being invested in the world and characters. when i did "big trouble in big town," for instance, it sent me places i hadn't yet discovered--and exploration is very much the element i enjoy most about the game anyway--and showed me some neat, weird sequences i hadn't expected (
super mutant in basement about to eat a dude
). of course the side quests take place within the game's mechanics, and don't stray too far from the rules the game sets forth initially. but the strength is in the variations in those rules or in the major themes in the game from quest to quest.

Totally. I finished the whole (entire!) Wasteland Survival Guide this weekend, including every (yes every!) optional requirement and it felt like such a delightful gauntlet to run. Again, sure, fetch quest, but this world is so intelligently conceived that all of the ones I've been on have been very enjoyable.

I also love that many quests give you special exclusive Perks when you finish them. That's a pretty massive motivator. I got two for Those! and one for Wasteland Survival Guide.

Also, for Caps and Ammo, I took the two Perks that help you find more of both in crates and it's really improved my chances in the game.

Egg Shen

Dyno said:
- Also, anyone who says the game isn't funny/quirky/amusing is just being unfair and hypercritical. Pretty well everything that Moira from Megaton says is off-side or out there. There are many jokes and dry humour to be found in unlikely places.

"GIVE ME THE NAUGHTY NIGHTWEAR!" If you've found that safe you know how bizarre that sequence was.

So I am liking it quite a bit and think Bethesda did a great job.
That last one was totally unexpected. I followed the clues expecting it to be some kind of super McGuffin I had to deliver, until I found it and was like WTF.

There's so much of that in FO3, most of which seems to be in some very out of the way places that make it worth exploring off of the beaten path.

Some of my favorites were:

- Welcome to Anvale(sp?), neighbor! Sit a spell and enjoy our fine American hospitality in the town voted Best Town in America three years running!

*run into Stan Lee lookalike in one of the houses* Get out of here! No one leaves Anvale, ever!!! WHAT ARE YOU STILL DOING HERE!

- Activating a killer satellite in orbit and dropping ordinance over the region...oops. I didn't know the missile codes still worked. Really!

- The whole Tranquility Lane sequence was incredibly awesome.

- Being in the Republic of Dave had several fun dialogue choices from pretending to be an "ambassador' from the Wasteland to saying that his puny republic is about to be reclaimed by the Wasteland.

Tieno

Hmmm, it seems you can adjust the 3rd person camera distance by holding LB and then moving the right thumbstick closer or further away. I play it first person, but I've adjusted it it so the camera cuts off at knees. Gonna see if that is playable.

The game is very rewarding in just going off on your own. Like you see a building in the wasteland and just go there. Usually something interesting will happen, raiders, animals, weapons, caps, whatever.

Tieno said:
Hmmm, it seems you can adjust the 3rd person camera distance by holding LB and then moving the right thumbstick closer or further away. I play it first person, but I've adjusted it it so the camera cuts of at knees. Gonna see if that is playable.
Already tried that and it's unfortunately not =/

slayn

eXistor said:
really studying the environments can really deepen the experience as most locations have their own story to tell.
The is kind of my point actually. The story told by the environment is great. The actual quests by themselves are boring, and seem to serve no real purpose other than to fetch some far away object in an attempt to force you to explore in case you weren't doing it by yourself.

What I would have liked to see is more quests that caused a permanent change to the world around you. In megaton
blowing up the nuke
is a great example of this. I really feel something like oasis should have had a much MUCH bigger impact depending on what you did. I would have liked to see
the oasis actually spread if you increased the growing power, and that people from around the wastes would then migrate to this new haven.

I'm already forgetting a lot of the other quests I've done because they weren't memorable at all.

Dyno said:
Pretty well everything that Moira from Megaton says is off-side or out there.

Awful.

Awful.

Awful.

Blizzard

Banned
I didn't change any settings on my video card or INI stuff. I'd almost wonder if your ini, hotfix, or even overlock might be causing your problems (for the guy with messed-up graphics).

Hazaro, I'm already running the fan at 60% or so...any more would be even louder. :(

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
Nikorasu said:
Something that has been bugging me: what exactly does launching the ICBM at Fort Constantine accomplish?
I think nothing actually, its just a little cool bit they added, and if you read the terminal after you launch it
there was an error

[HP]

I've been having a blast with this game!

i'm at level 9 atm, with 16 hours of gameplay, and I still didn't made a single main quest! :lol

This game is so good, i've didn't played such an awesome game since... MGS4 maybe, lulz.

Dead

well not really...yet
Can someone help me with the Head of State quest?

I'm trying to finish it, Ive got
The slaves all ready to go to the Lincoln memorial and everything. Don't tell me that I have to walk with them the whole way? tried to fast moving to the memorial and after that it seems the quest is screwed?

How do I get to Rivet city? I tried walking from the capitol and it's blocked off.

Also, when do I get the dog? And what other party members can join? Do they just follow me around all the time? I couldn't pick up Jericho because I'm too nice and no one else has said they want to join me...

slayn

The Lamonster said:
How do I get to Rivet city? I tried walking from the capitol and it's blocked off.

Also, when do I get the dog? And what other party members can join? Do they just follow me around all the time? I couldn't pick up Jericho because I'm too nice and no one else has said they want to join me...
I tried for like 2 hours to get to rivet city by going through DC and the subways. I even had a quest marker and was following where it told me to go and what subways to take. I never got there through DC.

What I ended up doing was giving up and just walking along the coast around the whole damn city.

Otheradam

So I did the Tenpenny quest and I helped
the grouls move in to live with the humans. Later I came back and all the humans were gone and I asked one of the grouls what happened and they said they got annoyed and killed them all!
:lol

I didn't finish the paradise falls quest yet. Since
the women you need to enslave from Tenpenny is dead now
can I still finish this?

Top Bottom