• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Fallout 3 thread of post-apocalyptic proportions!

saunderez

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I hope they release a Humor pack as DLC. This game sorely needs that old Fallout sense of warped humor.
You haven't played enough if you think there is no humour. There's plenty. Not to the ridiculous levels of FO2 where everything was a parody of something else, but there is plenty of humour around.

Unregistered007 said:
when or where does this game start to pick up ? I am in megaton.. the first town and its too grey-brown and deadish..
Radioactive wasteland. If you can't deal with Megaton you'll likely hate the whole game.

saunderez said:
You haven't played enough if you think there is no humour. There's plenty. Not to the ridiculous levels of FO2 where everything was a parody of something else, but there is plenty of humour around.

Radioactive wasteland. If you can't deal with Megaton you'll likely hate the whole game.

I am not hating the game I am playing Dead space & Mass Effect, Fallout will follow ME.. just curious because I was pretty much hooked in oblivion right away.

Mau ®

I love this game. It reminds me of Morrowind, which is a good thing for me. I didnt like Oblivion at all.

But I really think its an ugly game. The outdoor lightning is good though.

Oh and when the disc is on my PS3, it refuses to turn itself, the light goes yellow for a second and then it becomes red and flashes. I have to actually take the disc out and then it will turn on, then load the game again. It only happens with Fallout 3.

saunderez

Unregistered007 said:
I am not hating the game I am playing Dead space & Mass Effect, Fallout will follow ME.. just curious because I was pretty much hooked in oblivion right away.
Once you get on your way with the main quest and get a few other locations revealed to you the pace will pick up pretty quickly. But the environments - they don't change much. When you're in the wastes everything is brown and dead, when you are inside buildings, caverns etc is where the variety comes into play.

Joshua Hull said:
They don't, infact I used the console to give myself the remaining karma related achivements.

I can agree with that one.

Personally those are ridiculous as you basically have to play 3 times or save before you reach level 8/14/20 and do something really good/bad.

knitoe

saunderez said:

I hated the game at first too. Shooting was crap. Couldn't play like a FPS and VATS didn't really help much either. Once started getting small guns skill up and getting perks to help head shots, totally changed the game. Now, I could play it like FPS if wanted too, but with VATS, I could get 1 hit sneak attack head shot kills with sniper rifle 90% of the time.

Zyzyxxz

Hazaro said:
*^ I'm not to sure on the 3rd person, I personally want my character to be on the right side of the screen. Left side just feels to weird.

Barter screens, it does use another font type, not sure what it is.
This should help loads because I carry so much crap around :lol

After:
barter_menu_darn.jpg

DAM! Now that is what I am talking about!

We need a hot chick mod though.

So..the main quest. I know it's been said many many times, but
what a fucking terrible ending. I mean, seriously, some of the side quests were better than this drivel. I know with a game like this, the main quest isn't necessarily supposed to be the be all end all of quests, but it's still the main quest; Bethesda could have put some effort behind the ending. From Liberty Prime's corny as hell marching to the final "IT'S YOUR DESTINY" closing, I was appalled at how much it seemed to be thrown in there, with no real thought to the cohesiveness.

40 hours and I enjoyed it, but the game is definitely more than the sum of its parts.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
So I did the GNR quest and am on my way to the next destination with the chick from "Stealing Independence" sub-quest in tow.

Question: Where the fuck did that Lyon brotherhood chick and Gunney disappear to? They're nowhere to be found at the radio station and you know what I need to ask them. :p

Annoying.

Troidal

I'm only about 11 hours into the game and still very early quest-wise but I have a quick question to those who are playing the game for the 2nd time with a different character.

Are the items you find in buildings (i.e. Bethesda Ruins, Super Duper Mart, and any others including main quest related ones) different from the 1st time you've played it, or are they exactly the same? I guess I want to know if rare items like Books, Bob-heads, rare weapons and parts are pretty much in the same exact location every time you play it.

I love the game, but I am doing too much side quests that I will probably consume this game with the 1st playthrough pretty much. I dont play 2nd rounds in RPGs all that much to begin with, but curious to see what its like being an evil guy >:-D

CoG

I am out 15 hours in. Playing on the PC. Game looks great on high details @ 60fps. Indoor areas tend to be too dark though and it's hard to see in corners. Are their flashlights in this game at any point?

So far it's great if not really broken in some areas. Still a great game I plan on "living with" for about 40 hours or so (I like to do all the side quests).

There's a lot of bugs. Not sure if it's just the PC version.

- You get stuck on the geometry a lot. I have not seen sticking in games since Half-Life.
- The buttons are wonky. Sometimes I lose the ability to mark places on maps and drop items. I am using the 360 control on the PC. I think if you start up without the controller enabled this happens.
- Sometimes buttons stop working or the gun shoots for no reason. Really buggy.
- To its credit it's never crashed.

Troidal

CoG said:
Indoor areas tend to be too dark though and it's hard to see in corners. Are their flashlights in this game at any point?

Hold down the button you use to summon your Pipboy-3000 and instead of the menu opening, your flashlight turns on. It's the B button on the 360, dunno what that is on the PC.

sennin

Troidal said:
Are the items you find in buildings (i.e. Bethesda Ruins, Super Duper Mart, and any others including main quest related ones) different from the 1st time you've played it, or are they exactly the same? I guess I want to know if rare items like Books, Bob-heads, rare weapons and parts are pretty much in the same exact location every time you play it.

I love the game, but I am doing too much side quests that I will probably consume this game with the 1st playthrough pretty much. I dont play 2nd rounds in RPGs all that much to begin with, but curious to see what its like being an evil guy >:-D
Pretty much the same for bobbleheads and equipment that are visible. For instance, in Super Duper Mart you can find plenty of grenades and a Laser Pistol with the corresponding ammo, 2nd time you start a new character they will be there. Likewise for Strength Bobblehead. What is random is stuff that are found in containers, i.e. ammo crates, dressers, toolboxes etc. Also, respawning enemies on the world map will spot different weapons.

Evil characters definitely have it better when it comes to the safe house. The view from Tenpenny Tower is awesome, I suppose this is Beth's way of giving players "Levitate" in Fallout 3. :p Almost everything about Tenpenny Tower is cool, it is like a condo that somehow survived the nuclear blasts. You're also not restricted by petty morales that prevent you from stealing stuff, some of the skill books are located behind locked doors. On another note, I really hope I have enough Purified Water (working on getting 40...halfway there ^^) to get Fawkes later... He should be standing tall with me to enjoy the bird's eye view of the Wasteland.

Aaron

chespace said:
So I did the GNR quest and am on my way to the next destination with the chick from "Stealing Independence" sub-quest in tow.

Question: Where the fuck did that Lyon brotherhood chick and Gunney disappear to? They're nowhere to be found at the radio station and you know what I need to ask them. :p

Annoying.
Continue along with the plot. They'll show up again. Though I wouldn't be in a rush to get the
Power armor equipped
. Makes the game too easy. If you need some help, pick up a follower like Charon. Also do Reily's Rangers quest (esp if you have a follower) for some intense fire fights with kickass armor as your reward.

Troidal said:
Placed items are always the same. Items in containers or on enemies can change.

voltron

I also have a question about the main quest... Im one past GNR, nad have talked to
Dr Li at Rivet City. My quest instructions now say to:

* Search Dads holotapes for clues to his location
*Speak to Doc Li about purity

Do I have to go back to the vault to search the tapes?

saunderez said:
It's stupid humour, moira for example.

Megaton was pretty dull though, i thought the game got a lot better as i went along.

Teknoman

Really wish that the patch would have fixed the stuttery music on the pipboy radio. I dont have any crazy codecs installed...and the music seems to fix itself if you press esc while the radio is up. But when the next song starts, goes right back to sounding like an audio thats buffering or something.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Aaron said:
Continue along with the plot. They'll show up again. Though I wouldn't be in a rush to get the
Power armor equipped
. Makes the game too easy. If you need some help, pick up a follower like Charon. Also do Reily's Rangers quest (esp if you have a follower) for some intense fire fights with kickass armor as your reward.

Cool, thanks. Yeah, I decided to just continue down the main quest with Sidney as my sidekick (although she's pretty mercenary :lol). I love this game.

I was just heading southeast towards Rivet city when
I discovered the Jefferson Memorial building, so naturally, I had to explore. Inside, I found some great story bits with the recorded tapes that my dad left there for Project Purity. TOTALLY sets up for my Rivet City journey. The designers must've known curious types would go down there. So fucking great.

Also is it me or does this game really give anyone else the Lost vibe? Something to do with clandestine yet naive science experiments and the whole retro '50s and '60s vibe a la Dharma Initiative. It struck me right away with the open screens being the old film slides that even I used to watch as a kid in grade school back in the early '80s. :D

GreekWolf

30 hours in, and still discovering new creatures out in the wasteland. Something... huge... very much resembling a werewolf just pounced on me out of nowhere and tore me a new hole.

I didn't catch the name, but yikes that thing was nasty.

Shawsie64

Banned
voltron said:
I also have a question about the main quest... Im one past GNR, nad have talked to
Dr Li at Rivet City. My quest instructions now say to:

* Search Dads holotapes for clues to his location
*Speak to Doc Li about purity

Do I have to go back to the vault to search the tapes?

i just went and searched dads holotapes for clues, cant remember talking to Doc Li about purity though

voltron

chespace said:
Cool, thanks. Yeah, I decided to just continue down the main quest with Sidney as my sidekick (although she's pretty mercenary :lol). I love this game.

I discovered the Jefferson Memorial building, so naturally, I had to explore. Inside, I found some great story bits with the recorded tapes that my dad left there for Project Purity. TOTALLY sets up for my Rivet City journey. The designers must've known curious types would go down there. So fucking great.

Hmmm, read my spoiler'd post above to see info re: the tapes. Maybe I should go back there and check it out as I dont think I found them.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Teknoman said:
Really wish that the patch would have fixed the stuttery music on the pipboy radio. I dont have any crazy codecs installed...and the music seems to fix itself if you press esc while the radio is up. But when the next song starts, goes right back to sounding like an audio thats buffering or something.

Somethin about audio codecs, don't recall.

voltron

Shawsie64 said:
i just went and searched dads holotapes for clues, cant remember talking to Doc Li about purity though

So theyre already in my inventory? I looked, guess I missed them.

edit, I figured it out. Im clearly a moron.

saunderez

fizzelopeguss said:
It's stupid humour, moira for example.
That's all the Fallout humour ever was. Stupid humour and parody with a decent helping of sarcasm. There's plenty of all three, particularly when it comes to reading the terminals. If you're only using Moira as an example of why the humour is "bad" then you haven't played enough. She's a stupid character and she's meant to be.

EGM92

I'm playing fallout 3 on PC, the game is great, loving it so fast, I'm an "Urban Legend" lol I have a problem with the game though, since I bought the game I've had nothing but performance issues, no sound from characters and crashing, well after updating ALL my drivers and such everything's working fine, but while running at 1680x1050 with everything on ultra high 8/15AA/AF the game looks... shitty nothing close to what some of your screenshots look like. I'm running an ATI HD4850 OC'd to 720/1220mhz, card is extremely cool doesn't go past 45C on loads.

The game itself just looks VERY ugly, it doesn't seem like the AA/AF is doing much to help it look better. I get stuttering problems though on FRAPS it tells me I'm running at an average of 55fps with an extreme low of 42fps but it feels much slower than that. I have ATI Cat 8.10 with the Farcry 2 hotfix installed. Anyone having the same problem and able to offer some sort of solution??

The motion blur in the VATS is CRAPPY it looks like NOTHING in the screenshots or videos. there's no shine or gloss to anything in the world though it's clear to see that it does have it in the screenshots posted here :(

EGM92

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i finally found The Family but what the fuck i got penalized in karma for killing them! how was i supposed to do it then!?

Don't kill them, walk in and talk to everyone...

sennin

This game magnifies depression. I'm at Germantown Police HQ, and I'm reading through the logs of one
Presiding Officer Nancy Kroydon, and how she has to deal with deserters, the lack of proper medication and keeping the spirits of her girls up while waiting for the reservists to come back. They never did. Despite all her valiant efforts, ultimately she fell victim to death's hand.
Another one from relay tower KX-B8-11 (or Radio Signal Oscar Zulu):
I was searching for the Medicine book and I came across the broadcast channels. I was thinking about saving Bob's boy, but what greeted me there are a pair of corpses. The radio broadcast far outlived the 2 humans who needed it.

It is one thing to come across random charred skeletons while looting houses, but when these inanimate objects are given stories, I find myself falling prey to emotions.

i tried to talk! these was this douche that said this place is only for the family and wouldn't let me in, so i had to murder him. how would the family know that i murdered him!? they just started shooting at me!

oh well, at least i got the dudes flame sword and some other vampire sword. champion!

Aaron

chespace said:

There's two sets of tapes in two different places. Listen to all of them. While Sidney is pretty handy, a true follower gives you much more options.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i tried to talk! these was this douche that said this place is only for the family and wouldn't let me in, so i had to murder him. how would the family know that i murdered him!? they just started shooting at me!
If you have the quest, there's an option with the guard to speak with their leader, and he'll let you by. Never had to kill him.

FrenchMovieTheme said:

oh well, at least i got the dudes flame sword and some other vampire sword. champion!

:lol

Teknoman

Hazaro said:
Somethin about audio codecs, don't recall.

Thats the thing, I cant figure out which codecs or lack there of, could be causing it. Running Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit, so I dont think there is a program that could give me a fresh codec install. I wish it was just something that Bethesda could patch, because I cant really enjoy what the stations have to offer like this...

Even after running a program that let you disable codecs, I disabled everything that wasnt listed as being MS manufactured, and still had that problem.

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=893405&st=20

At least im not the only one with this problem. Just glad it doesnt affect the NPC conversations.

Someone said creative alchemy should solve the problem...but then another user installed that and kept getting crashes. I guess i'll give it a shot.

Blizzard

Banned
EGM92 said:
The motion blur in the VATS is CRAPPY it looks like NOTHING in the screenshots or videos. there's no shine or gloss to anything in the world though it's clear to see that it does have it in the screenshots posted here :(

I'm also playing on a 4850, 1680x1050, with everything high except the AA/sampling options. I think I turned them down to 4/4, but may drop to 2/2 or something. My only real performance issues are mainly when I'm outside, especially on top of a bridge or something where you can see for long distances...turning gets very jumpy (using vsync on). I haven't tried using fraps to try to check the frame rate. I wish they'd built in a framerate display option like TF2 etc. has.

I haven't tried taking screenshots of VATS motion blur, but I think I did notice the blur in my game. I haven't noticed a lot of shiny/glossy/reflective surfaces, in my game or in screenshots, though. For reference, here is how my game looked underground. I probably had AA/sampling higher then.

http://tinypic.ca/images/49m8up5ogqj4cya35q1h.jpg

Oh, and I'm running a fairly fresh install of Vista home premium 64-bit. Not experiencing radio/audio problems, other than static which I assume is normal when I'm near the edge of the station range.

EGM92

Blizzard said:
I'm also playing on a 4850, 1680x1050, with everything high except the AA/sampling options. I think I turned them down to 4/4, but may drop to 2/2 or something. My only real performance issues are mainly when I'm outside, especially on top of a bridge or something where you can see for long distances...turning gets very jumpy (using vsync on). I haven't tried using fraps to try to check the frame rate. I wish they'd built in a framerate display option like TF2 etc. has.

I haven't tried taking screenshots of VATS motion blur, but I think I did notice the blur in my game. I haven't noticed a lot of shiny/glossy/reflective surfaces, in my game or in screenshots, though. For reference, here is how my game looked underground. I probably had AA/sampling higher then.

http://tinypic.ca/images/49m8up5ogqj4cya35q1h.jpg

Oh, and I'm running a fairly fresh install of Vista home premium 64-bit. Not experiencing radio/audio problems, other than static which I assume is normal when I'm near the edge of the station range.

Mine doesn't look anything like that unfortunately, the characters on mine look all crappy, the textures don't look smooth. I'm running Vista 32 with 3GB of ram, and an AMD X2 Phenom 9850 plus the video card, I do get the jumpy thing as well when I'm outside. When I'm inside 99.9% of the time it's running 60fps or above.

Please check out these 2 screens and tell me if the bushes and trees are supposed to look like complete ass, something out of Ghost Recon 1

screenshot0530.jpg

screenshot1704.jpg

Blizzard could you post the rest of your specs, your settings, and a couple more screens? I'm building a system with an HD 4850 and I'd like to know what I can reasonably expect.

Troidal

voltron said:
Always try talking first. In life AND in games.

Hehe, yeah.

During the Escape, the overseer was interrogating his daughter, I didn't know it was him until I headshot him and the friend got really pissed at me :lol

Btw, where can I get more bobpins? I am running out of those real quick and I never found them in dungeons and stores :/

sennin said:
Evil characters definitely have it better when it comes to the safe house. The view from Tenpenny Tower is awesome, I suppose this is Beth's way of giving players "Levitate" in Fallout 3. :p Almost everything about Tenpenny Tower is cool, it is like a condo that somehow survived the nuclear blasts. You're also not restricted by petty morales that prevent you from stealing stuff, some of the skill books are located behind locked doors. On another note, I really hope I have enough Purified Water (working on getting 40...halfway there ^^) to get Fawkes later... He should be standing tall with me to enjoy the bird's eye view of the Wasteland.

Well evil always is better. Maybe if I plan a second run...

EGM92

BrodiemanTTR said:
Blizzard could you post the rest of your specs, your settings, and a couple more screens? I'm building a system with an HD 4850 and I'd like to know what I can reasonably expect.

I can tell you that with something other than a stock cooler the HD4850 is a beast for it's price. Farcry 2 runs at a smooth 50fps 90% when there's a huge battle and shits blowing up it goes down to about 30fps. It looks really good with DX10 and everything on Ultra High.

Blizzard

Banned
BrodiemanTTR said:

Here are a couple more screens for you two. I used the "ultra high" settings, no custom config, and I think the only thing I turned down was AA and sampling, to maybe 4 each. As I said I'll probably drop to 2 each if it doesn't look too bad. It's just when I'm out in the open, there are a few too many objects for my wimpy system to handle I suppose, without being a bit jerky, without dialing the sampling down. =(

As for the system, I'm running an e8400 at stock 3.0 GHz stock cooling. ATI 4850, stock cooling. I upped the fan to 60% (I'd prefer 50% for gaming) because I was hitting 76C or so, and I don't like it getting much above 70C...don't want it toasting the rest of my parts.

4GB RAM (800MHz I think), Vista 64-bit home premium, Catalyst version 8.9.

662q8v1uccnh7f0k3ow.jpg

ry3sy152lmrpo7yumk52.jpg

tddme813o093048leomt.jpg

y647t7ju89qy94raj0jn.jpg

Wow, I definitely don't see sunlight passing through cracks like that on my friend's PC. Looks great. What CPU, how much RAM, etc?

EDIT: Nvm, didn't see it above. Your system is very similar to what I'll be running, which is encouraging. If the framerate is too jumpy I'll just lock it at 30 or 40.

Blizzard

Banned
BrodiemanTTR said:
Wow, I definitely don't see sunlight passing through cracks like that on my friend's PC. Looks great. What CPU, how much RAM, etc?

I already edited in my specs. I've actually seen very few of those rays. I think I had to get up the stairs or something for them to show up in that building, and I don't think you can look outside at all THROUGH the cracks, it's more of a simulated effect.

Aaron

Troidal said:
Btw, where can I get more bobpins? I am running out of those real quick and I never found them in dungeons and stores :/
They're found in random crates. I'm surprised you're using them up. Are you doing the mini-game correctly? I think I've only had six break the whole game, and those were on the tougher locks.

sennin

Troidal said:
I don't have a specific answer for you, because I've found them as random loot. Just keep checking everything, corpses, containers and even gore bags. The lockpicking game is similar to the hacking game, say after a few jolts of resistance and you know the pin is going to break, let go and exit the mini-game to try again. After you've gotten the hang of when the pin is close to breaking and letting go at the right time, you should have cut down on the number of broken pins considerably.

Top Bottom