• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

Deadly Monk said:
FFXII has the best dubbing I've ever heard. The team behind that game dubbed Last Remnant as well which was excellent too.

From what I have heard of the TLR, FFXII seems to be quite superior, though that is probably due to the difference in the quality of the writing and TLR mediocre plot... Personally I feel DQVIII is the standard

Yeah, they probably won't ahve the japanese audio on the ps3 version...there is no chance of that on the 360 version though, since its not being released in Japan and its not compatible with Japanese 360s...DLC would be the only option given disc space, but given its SE we are talking about, there is probably zero chance of that

nelsonroyale said:
From what I have heard of the TLR, FFXII seems to be quite superior, though that is probably due to the difference in the quality of the writing and TLR mediocre plot... Personally I feel DQVIII is the standard

And all three were done by the same team! It's true, TLR's script didn't help at all but you could tell they did a great job. VIII has more charm than FFXII but I can't help loving the more dramatic scenes of FFXII over DQVIII.

Brofist

Mr. Wonderful said:
God. Japanese developers are so out of touch.

First it was "I heard releasing downloadable demos is the hip thing to do these days,"

and now "There are people who want both localizations on the disc?!?!?!"

Yeah they are totally out of touch with the 20 nerds on GAF that want to hear voices they can't understand anyway. :lol Hell I can understand Japanese and I'll probably use the English dub.

nelsonroyale said:
Yeah, they probably won't ahve the japanese audio on the ps3 version...there is no chance of that on the 360 version though, since its not being released in Japan and its not compatible with Japanese 360s...DLC would be the only option given disc space, but given its SE we are talking about, there is probably zero chance of that

When has there ever been a DLC pack that was just an extra language. Never happen.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I would think that if SE decides to go dual VO's then the 360 version would have to be at least 1 more DVD. Unless it's compressed to hell. I would still rather buy the PS3 version being it will be 1 disc and have un-compromised audio.

kpop100 said:
Yeah they are totally out of touch with the 20 nerds on GAF that want to hear voices they can't understand anyway. :lol Hell I can understand Japanese and I'll probably use the English dub.
Haha. Well I don't really care if they just keep it as an English Dub. I just want to play the damn game :D

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
kpop100 said:

When has there ever been a DLC pack that was just an extra language. Never happen.

Well there was a Japanese language DLC for the naruto game on xbox 360.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
kpop100 said:

A lot of people actually asked about it in the IGN Q&A...
It'd be nice, but if it doesn't turn out that way, I suppose I'm still double dipping anyway.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
kpop100 said:
Well I suppose that's encouraging, although given the scope of FFXIII it seems unlikely.

Yea very unlikely. I hope the English dub is as good as the one in FFXII

Darkpen

Banned
Shadow780 said:
If you listened to the original VA, the text translation sometimes are very different from JP dialogues, only contextually correct. But it feels like there's two transcripts going at once sometimes.
Its called localization for a reason.

Hobbun said:
Well...it was ok. From what I played of it, it suffers from the same issues I had with XII. A combat system that is too fast paced for me. And it sounds like you are going to have to manually switch from character to character to attack, which I am not a fan of at all.

But, SE indicated this is only 30% of the final version of the combat system, so I am still holding my judgement.
I think somebody here needs a healthy dose of a 20-hour long FFX-2 playthrough :)

TO GET OVER HIS PANSY SPEED-ISSUE ASS :mad:

Lain

kpop100 said:

They are out of touch because if there is space on the disc, keeping the original VA along with the dub is always preferred and shouldn't be something a dev (which released ACC with dual audio just last month) finds strange.

Cory_t_

Ok I had no idea where to put this and it certainly doesn't need it's own thread. I just got my copy of FFVIIACC today (thumbs up play-asia :lol ) And i was sure when i bought it it said it had both japanese and english audio, am i wrong or blind?

EDIT: I'm talking about the movie itself, i know the FFXIII demo doesn't have english audio.

EDIT2: LMAO, disregard this please. :lol Like 30 secs after posting this I actually pressed play instead of just looking at the menu. I assumed the audio tracks were changing in the menu because the audio flickered, and each time it was japanese. Turns out they only change in the movie and not the menu.

Skilletor

hateradio said:
I can hardly hear anything ... but because it's paired with Disney, isn't the voice quality obviously going to be better than others, since it has a long history with that.

Does that make it less awesome? Still amazing VA.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Skilletor said:
Does that make it less awesome? Still amazing VA.
My point is that it's going to be superior because of their background with voice acting, it wasn't a negative statement.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yoshinori Kitase: Obviously, when we talk about XIII it's for PS3 and Xbox – with PS3 being on Blu ray there would be enough memory, but on Xbox probably not. At the moment we're thinking of releasing the voice in English only. Are there many people who would like to play with Japanese voices?
I don't even care much for dual audio in games (more options are always good anyway) but yeah, this is weird. With that mindset they shouldn't release International versions with the English audio and switch it to the Japanese voices only. "Are there many people who would like to play with English voices?", it works both ways. If they think Japanese gamers want to hear the English voice acting there's no sense in thinking Western gamers wouldn't want to listen to the Japanese one.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Fuu said:
I don't even care much for dual audio in games (more options are always good anyway) but yeah, this is weird. With that mindset they shouldn't release International versions with the English audio and switch it to the Japanese voices only. "Are there many people who would like to play with English voices?", it works both ways. If they think Japanese gamers want to hear the English voice acting there's no sense in thinking Western gamers wouldn't want to listen to the Japanese one.

Well, for japanese gamers there's no problem. It's being released for the PS3.

Fuu

bobbytkc said:
Well, for japanese gamers there's no problem. It's being released for the PS3.
Good for them? There will still be many unsatisfied people. And the point still stands, if they are sure there are Japanese gamers who want English voice acting in the International versions there obviously are western gamers who want the Japanese voice acting in the localized releases. I don't know why there was any doubt about that in Kitase's answer, I'm sure he's well aware of the fact that the Japan only re-releases have English audio.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Fuu said:
Good for them? There will still be many unsatisfied people. And the point still stands, if they are sure there are Japanese gamers who want English voice acting in the International versions there obviously are western gamers who want the Japanese voice acting in the localized releases. I don't know why there was any doubt about that in Kitase's answer, I'm sure he's well aware of the fact that the Japan only re-releases have English audio.

Hi,

I think the International version is actually sort of a director's cut. The main draw (in Japan) isn't really the English dialogue, but the additional content and tweaks included when they ported it overseas. If it was in demand in japan, they would have done the localization the same time the game was made, which they don't, so obviously it is not an important feature.

Also, the International version works well for an Asian release, most of which understand english, not japanese.

Fuu

bobbytkc said:
Hi,

I think the International version is actually sort of a director's cut. The main draw (in Japan) isn't really the English dialogue, but the additional content and tweaks included when they ported it overseas. If it was in demand in japan, they would have done the localization the same time the game was made, which they don't, so obviously it is not an important feature.

Also, the International version works well for an Asian release, most of which understand english, not japanese.
I know the main draw is the additional content but why not put the Japanese audio only if they don't think gamers want to listen to a language that's not their native one? I understand why they release it in English there, I'm exaggerating a bit to get across the point that because of the existence of those versions Kitase shouldn't have doubts that many people want to listen to the Japanese voice acting in the western releases since it has been proven Japanese gamers also like to have the English audio available in some form too.

I'll understand if they don't do it because of space limitations in the 360 version while wanting to make both the PS3 and 360 versions equal, but not including dual audio because they don't think many people want it wouldn't make much sense.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Dual audio only works in a certain context I believe. If the game's theme was something based in Japan (example Yakuza) or if the English voice acting was horrible then I'm all for it. However the Metal Gear Solid series, DQVIII and FFXII showed just how well English voice acting can be from a Japanese developer, therefore if they consistently achieve that same level of aspirations in the voice acting field then I honestly don't think it bothers me if there was no dual audio option.

If you want to hear the Japanese voice actors then you've probably got a better ratio of chance by learning the language and importing.

Fuu

Localizations have been getting better and better too, XIII's dub will most likely be satisfactory (I don't care about dual audio much either as I said above, it doesn't really affect my enjoyment). I'm just surprised by how out of touch that statement is (like others were in the last few pages) as it's obvious many people appreciate the option. Oh well, I'm sure they won't give any sort of confirmations about this for a while.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Perhaps the problem is due to the stigma involved with foreign films and Hollywood's fascination towards remaking movies from other regions. The easiest scapegoats for this situation are marketing and audience perception but it all boils down to companies and average consumers being too afraid to experience something new.

Even looking at the anime industry whereby every licensed DVD is dual audio. You'll never see a company in the U.S. release an anime exclusively in its native Japanese with subtitles for fear of never regaining costs.

Fuu said:
not including dual audio because they don't think many people want it wouldn't make much sense.

"People" (in any broadly-defined sense) don't want it; a small quantity of vocal, dedicated fans who will still buy your product without it want it.

For me, including full alternate-language modes (where text and voice are both rendered in the selected language) is a great perk when you can include it (especially when you can include the European languages in addition to English and Japanese); including an English-text-with-Japanese-audio mode just to appeal to weeaboo sensibilities is not.

Lain

charlequin said:
"People" (in any broadly-defined sense) don't want it; a small quantity of vocal, dedicated fans who will still buy your product without it want it.

For me, including full alternate-language modes (where text and voice are both rendered in the selected language) is a great perk when you can include it (especially when you can include the European languages in addition to English and Japanese); including an English-text-with-Japanese-audio mode just to appeal to weeaboo sensibilities is not.

For me not including the original VA (when there is enough space to do it) in an audiovisive product is a disservice to the people that buy your product.

Fuu

charlequin said:

Yeah, what I was getting at is that if they can include it there's not much reason not to. More options are always good regardless of who's going to use them and why, even if the majority doesn't really care about it so much (like you and me). There's obviously more to it than they let out anyway.

Fuu said:
Yeah, what I was getting at is that if they can include it there's not much reason not to.

As I've thought about it, I realized why this claim bugs me: the localization staff works hard on this shit. Much as with the actual design of a game, the intent and effort of the creators should be acknowledged and respected. If this means preserving the whole localization package unbroken -- that is, keeping the English text and the English voice-acting together -- then I prefer that to including an out-of-keeping voice track to satisfy what I consider to be spurious reasons.

In the PS1 era of bogus, poorly-translated games, that'd be one thing, but nowadays (especially on a Final Fantasy title where literally the best localizers in the business are getting brought in to work on it) the end product is going to be polished and elaborately honed. I don't like supporting the false idea that Japanese voice acting is somehow inherently superior to English even for people who don't understand the language; people should appreciate the actual product they're provided with, which has been carefully crafted to meet the needs of individuals who speak their language.

Which, again, is why I'm down with full alternate-language mode (if someone understands Japanese -- or Spanish or Italian for that matter -- it's great if the game can appear in that language entirely) and I'm down with original-voices-with-subs as a way for ultra-niche games to provide a less expensive localization, but breaking up the localized product just doesn't work for me.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
speedpop said:
Perhaps the problem is due to the stigma involved with foreign films and Hollywood's fascination towards remaking movies from other regions. The easiest scapegoats for this situation are marketing and audience perception but it all boils down to companies and average consumers being too afraid to experience something new.

Even looking at the anime industry whereby every licensed DVD is dual audio. You'll never see a company in the U.S. release an anime exclusively in its native Japanese with subtitles for fear of never regaining costs.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann was first released exactly as you said.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
A number of older VHS anime was also released as Jp w/En subs.

TheChillyAcademic said:
What does that matter? Its the same company.
They had the experienced Disney involved, which in my opinion was a great help, so that is all.

Lain

charlequin said:
As I've thought about it, I realized why this claim bugs me: the localization staff works hard on this shit.

The localization staff works hard on dubs for movies and shows as well, but when I go buy the DVD or BRD I still find the original voice work along the dubs on the disc.

charlequin said:
In the PS1 era of bogus, poorly-translated games, that'd be one thing, but nowadays (especially on a Final Fantasy title where literally the best localizers in the business are getting brought in to work on it) the end product is going to be polished and elaborately honed. I don't like supporting the false idea that Japanese voice acting is somehow inherently superior to English even for people who don't understand the language; people should appreciate the actual product they're provided with, which has been carefully crafted to meet the needs of individuals who speak their language.

Nowadays localizations are alot better, but that is not exactly a good enough excuse to not include the original voicework (people worked hard on that shit!) when there is space on the disc, imho.
I don't see how having the japanese (or dutch, french, spanish, whatever language the game started with) VA breaks this "fine" localization work.
It didn't break the "fine" localization work on all the previous FF games, where all I had were italian subs while the VA was english.

Lain said:
Nowadays localizations are alot better, but that is not exactly a good enough excuse to not include the original voicework (people worked hard on that shit!) when there is space on the disc, imho.

So like I said, include a full Japanese language option. You shouldn't have any problem playing the game with Japanese text while you're listening to the original Japanese voice acting, right?

Lain

Sure, as long there is an option to set subs and VA independently of each other.
I'd love to listen to the italian VA (as if there will be one lol) with the english text for FFXIII.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Durante said:
I agree actually. FF12's is the only JRPG dub ever that I'm fully satisfied with. (I also think that having the original audio is less important in a FF game than in some of the (even) more japanese or anime-ish stuff like Gust games or Tales or Persona.)
... you should play more games

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA8rZFIIWEw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxImkkddalQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3owOo-xKY4I

+ the Persona games, ToTA etc... etc...

in english of course.

Darkpen

Banned
Himuro said:
Where in the world did this come from? Anger much?

Himuro said:
THIS VOICE ACTING IS SO HORRIBLE

Where are my desu's, my boku's, my sorimasan's?!
Seriously? I think you're blowing their reaction way out of proportion. People have their preferences, but its not like this begins and ends with Japanese, either. People have long obsessed over foreign languages for their sound, some to the point of even being an aphrodisiac. It used to be limited to the Romance languages, but now by sheer cult popularity, its Japanese as well.

Not to mention, when you listen to something in a language you don't natively speak, I think its easier to not notice the awkward and unrealistic nuances that are employed in cartoons and in overacting as a whole, like weird voices and accents, which makes mediocre voice acting in English sound worse in comparison to not noticing the subtleties at all in a foreign language.

That being said, I'm surprised by how nice those Digital Devil Saga dubs are. I never played any of the SMT games, so this is a nice surprise.

Fuu

charlequin said:
As I've thought about it, I realized why this claim bugs me: the localization staff works hard on this shit. Much as with the actual design of a game, the intent and effort of the creators should be acknowledged and respected. If this means preserving the whole localization package unbroken -- that is, keeping the English text and the English voice-acting together -- then I prefer that to including an out-of-keeping voice track to satisfy what I consider to be spurious reasons.

Which, again, is why I'm down with full alternate-language mode (if someone understands Japanese -- or Spanish or Italian for that matter -- it's great if the game can appear in that language entirely) and I'm down with original-voices-with-subs as a way for ultra-niche games to provide a less expensive localization, but breaking up the localized product just doesn't work for me.
I didn't consider it would hurt the localization process. Of course that if such a feature would affect a great work of localization (with even new lip synch, who knows) and would have the team worrying about the new text meshing well with the original audio, it's better to leave it away and not bother.

Anyway, even if I'm not in the group who wants to listen to Japanese audio without understanding the language, it sometimes bothers me how overly defensive people get about the issue and start throwing "weeabos" and "play it in Japanese" around. Not that the undub people are any better when they say "the game is unplayable in English"... I for one just think more options are always good (like I also think it would be pretty cool if every game in all regions also included the PAL version voice acting/text).

Fuu said:
Anyway, even if I'm not in the group who wants to listen to Japanese audio without understanding the language, it sometimes bothers me how overly defensive people get about the issue and start throwing "weeabos" and "play it in Japanese" around.

On balance, I don't actually disagree with the general principle in play here -- that when possible, game companies should use extra space to provide as many options and as much content as possible. But I find the worship of "superior Japanese voice-acting" by people who don't even speak the language so offensive (and, generally, so filled with totally uncalled-for hate and derision towards the excellent localization staffs of the games they're attacking) that it drives me to mean-spirited rage. :lol

The reason I like the idea of including full-language options is that it pretty clearly lets you include the content, and it means that someone who wants to play the game in Japanese or Italian (whether because they already know the language, or they're learning it and want to practice) can do so with their own locally-purchased copy -- but it doesn't actually enable people to shut off the English dub without actually understanding another language.

Top Bottom