• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE Official Guitar Hero II Thread

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Only a week left until release and no official Guitar Hero II thread!? Guess I'll have to handle this. Bear with me, since this is my very first official thread. If there's anything missing or anything you want to add, speak up. Here we go!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Title: Guitar Hero II

Developed by: Harmonix

Published by: Red Octane

Release date: November 7, 2006 (US) - November 24, 2006 (Europe)

Official site: http://www.guitarherogame.com

Guitar Hero II (Game only) (US $49.99)

B000I4JJRI.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V39008643_.jpg

Guitar Hero II Bundle (US $79.99)

B000I4JIK6.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V38855690_.jpg

Note concerning pre-orders:

If you pre-order the Guitar Hero II bundle over at the Red Octane store you recieve a free Guitar Hero II t-shirt.

Wireless Guitar controller (US $59.99, out in November, no specific date announced [thanks Kindbudmaster]):

ghwire.jpg

Quick summary of the game + features: (from Gamerankings.com):
Rock the Rhythm, Lead, and Bass Guitar tracks in the follow-up sequel to "Guitar Hero." Form your guitar duo and shred riffs cooperatively or go head to head in all new multiplayer modes.
With over 55 tracks to rock out to, you'll go from Guitar Hero to Guitar god in one press of a fret button. Choose from multiple rock characters and jam at concert venues that grow in size as your rock career progresses. You'll start your rock career playing small clubs and bars, but if you play well you'll work your way up to stadiums and arenas.
Guitar Hero II takes the guitar rock experience to new volumes by allowing players to play 3 different guitar tracks: Rhythm, Bass, and Lead. Guitar Hero II introduces all new multiplayer modes like: cooperative, pro-face off, and face off, letting 2 Guitar Heroes conduct their own symphonies of destruction. Shred School: Guitar Hero II features an all new practice mode, allowing Guitar Zeroes to become Guitar Heroes with enough practice.

Song list (40 songs):

(note: I've added more info about the songs, indicating if you can play either rhythm guitar [r] or bass , some songs are still unknown though - credit goes to ahjteam on the official GH II forums)

1. Opening Licks
Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil
[r] Danzig - Mother
Cheap Trick - Surrender
Wolfmother - Woman
[r] Spinal Tap - Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight

2. Amp-Warmers
[r] Kiss - Strutter
Nirvana - Heart-Shaped Box
Police - Message in a Bottle
Van Halen - You Really Got Me
Kansas - Carry on Wayward Son

3. String-Snappers
Foo Fighters - Monkey Wrench
Alice in Chains - Them Bones
Iggy Pop and the Stooges - Search and Destroy
Pretenders - Tattooed Love Boys
Black Sabbath - War Pigs

4. Thrash and Burn
Warrant - Cherry Pie
[r] Butthole Surfers - Who Was in My Room Last Night
Mathew Sweet - Girlfriend
Rolling Stones - Can't You Hear Me Knockin'
Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine

5. Return of the Shred
Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name Of
Primus - John the Fisherman
Sword - Freya
Thin Lizzy - Bad Reputation
Aerosmith - Last Child

6. Relentless Riffs
Heart - Crazy on You
Stone Temple Pilots - Tripping on a Hole in a Paper Heart
Stray Cats - Rock This Town
[r] Allman Brothers - Jessica
Jane's Addiction - Stop

7. Furious Fretwork
Anthrax - Madhouse
Living End - Carry Me Home
[r] Lamb of God - Laid to Rest
Reverend Horton Heat - Psychobilly Freakout
Rush - YYZ

8. Face-Melters
Avenged Sevenfold - Beast and the Harlot
Suicidal Tendencies - Institutionalized
Dick Dale - Misirlou
Megadeth - Hangar 18
[r] Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird

Bonus songs (24 songs):

Raw Dog - The Last Vegas
[r] Arterial Black - Drist
Collide - Anarchy Club
Elephant Bones - That Handsome Devil
Fall of Pangea - Valient Thorr
FTK - Vagiant
Gemini - Brian Kahanek
Push Push (Lady Lightning) - Bang Camaro
Laughtrack - The Acrobrats
Less Talk More Rokk - Freezepop
Jordan - Buckethead
Mr. Fix-It - The Amazing Royal Crowns
The New Black - Every Time I Die
One For The Road - Artillery
Parasite - The Neighborhoods
Radium Eyes - Count Zero
Red Lottery - Megasus
Six - All That Remains
Soy Bomb - Honest Bob and the Factory to Dealer Incentives
The Light That Blinds - Shadows Fall
THUNDERHORSE - Dethklok
[r] Trogdor - Strong Bad
X-Stream - Voivod
Yes We Can - Made in Mexico

Screens:

932565_20061004_screen002.jpg

932565_20060727_screen003.jpg

932565_20061004_screen004.jpg

Videos:

Official trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peRSTIB-H0A

Freebird (Expert): http://youtube.com/watch?v=r6RGCkZdgbw
Jessica (Expert): http://youtube.com/watch?v=UvOVO_WzE2c
Crazy on You (Expert): http://youtube.com/watch?v=JpJbpf6Yf9I
Laid to Rest (Expert): http://youtube.com/watch?v=lkGgmviw8Jo
Misirlou (Hard): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EDkNCZ_MGI
War Pigs (Hard): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-MBlVBxY-Q
John the Fisherman (Hard): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=409UAFvX5d4
Tattoed Love Boys (Expert): http://youtube.com/watch?v=zYHvGofTsqk
Last Child (Expert): http://youtube.com/watch?v=tz1RgMPNNKE
Trogdor (Co-op Expert): http://youtube.com/watch?v=sKW5ngFNHJo
Psychobilly Freakout (Expert [thanks sp0rsk]): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gV7fdHUIlI
Jordan (Expert [thanks duderon]): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adi-YnpFroI
Thunderhorse (Expert [duderon again]): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XC_MuzgMtw
Hangar 18 (Expert [thanks Vyse The Legend]): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Stz-FDNEaVw

Review scores so far:

Official US Playstation Magazine: 10/10

Game Informer: 9/10

IGN: 9.5/10

Gamespy: 5/5

1UP: 9/10

Gamespot: 8.7/10

Impressions:

Gamespot said:
Guitar Hero was primarily great because it was so fun to play, but it also excelled at small-time band humor--with exaggerated guitarists, a bunch of stylized axes, amusing loading-screen text, and so on--and the sequel amps all that up a notch. The first venue you'll hit is a high school gym decked out for the Battle of the Bands competition, and you'll eventually progress to a massive English stage modeled morbidly after Stonehenge. A bunch of new guitarists join the motley cast from the first game, such as rockabilly strummer Eddie Knox and our favorite, the portly GWAR reject Lars Umlaut. There seems to be more of everything in here--more guitars, more characters and costumes, more unlockable videos (including a new tour of Gibson's US guitar factory).

Gamespot said:
RedOctane and Harmonix seem to have taken the tack of not fixing something that wasn't broken to begin with. Guitar Hero II will be immediately recognizable to anyone who fiddled with the first one, but the subtle gameplay improvements and towering track list ought to make it deliver in the long term.

Eurogamer said:
It speaks of a love that we all felt playing Guitar Hero - not our own love for it, which can be almost taken for granted, but the love that stared out from it; worn on the sleeve of every bopping crowd-member's hoodie. There isn't long to go now until Guitar Hero II's 24th November release date, and while only an extensive playtest will validate our first impressions, there's certainly enough evidence of improvement in our initial experience to suggest that your pre-orders are safe bets. It looks like you really do need another Guitar Hero game in your life.

Preview from Gamespy (with wireless guitar impressions):

http://ps2.gamespy.com/playstation-2/guitar-hero-2/743009p1.html

A few quotes:

At first glance, the wireless controller is styled in the familiar shape of a Gibson, with a glossy white finish and a black inlay housing the strum bar. The fret buttons are identical to those on the SG controller, including the center yellow fret's raised surface, something that's lacking in the third-party guitars we've seen from other manufacturers. After playing through a slew of songs, we found there to be no problems at all with the guitar out to a considerable range, and activating star power can be done with even a slight upwards tilt of the guitar.

Some of the most fun we've had with Guitar Hero II so far has been with the unlockables

Hammer-ons and pull-offs were made much easier to perform this time around, allowing skilled players to tackle more challenging songs than ever before. The way it works now, it's really easy to just tack on a note immediately after hitting an adjacent fret without having to hit the strum bar.

The biggest improvement in the game may be the excellent integration of the new multiplayer features. We've discussed how the game allows players to cooperatively or competitively play the same song with different difficulty settings, but after getting our hands on it, it's safe to say that this functionality was absolutely nailed.

Interview with Red Octane at Gamesarefun (thanks Drakken):

http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=7142

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Add your scores at a very handy site called scorehero.com!
Very easy to see your overall ranking among members on that site (over 5000 members as of now), compare scores etc etc. Check it out! (thanks to tiong_fi for the link)

(and yeah, my direct link to the logo pic makes it look a bit crappy, but whatever :p)

And now, we wait (or play demo versions). :)

Gigglepoo

If this was only a way to combine this with the other huge games coming out next week. Attracting Pinata to my garden with wicked guitar solos. Or inspiring my fellow Bald Space Marines to victory. Nothing compliments a curb stomp quite like Institutionalized.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
****ing metaaaaaaaaaaaal.

God I can't wait. This shit will rock socks. GAF scoreboards will be revived. It could have JUST been a new tracklist with no new features and I'da been happy, but co-op, practice, and a whole bunch of other stuff? Plus an insanely awesome (despite a few solid whiffs) track list? So there.

Hell, RO has my money many times over. PS2 version, with the wireless if I can get it, then the 360 version later.

Brutal. :lol

Is the wireless guitar expected to be in stores on the 8th, or is it an online thing?

Edit: P.S. Haha at Gamespot thinking Lars Umlaut is a mock of GWAR. Teehee.

I was thinking about making this thread a little while ago. Nice job Kiriku.

Game-only version for me.

I just played the new demo at Best Buy yesterday - War Pigs ROCCCCKKKKS

Drakken

7 daaaaaays, woo!

While we're waiting, here's a new interview I did with Red Octane. No ground-breaking GH III reveal, but I think it's a good read for fans. It has some interesting questions that haven't been asked a million times already.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
CajoleJuice said:
I was thinking about making this thread a little while ago. Nice job Kiriku.

Game-only version for me.

I just played the new demo at Best Buy yesterday - War Pigs ROCCCCKKKKS

Thanks man. I'm totally into Freebird myself right now, been listening to it all day. :lol

Drakken said:
7 daaaaaays, woo!

While we're waiting, here's a new interview I did with Red Octane. No ground-breaking GH III reveal, but I think it's a good read for fans. It has questions that haven't been asked a million times already.
Hey, I bet that's the site that forced Evilore to change the name of GAF to NeoGAF!

Drakken said:
7 daaaaaays, woo!

While we're waiting, here's a new interview I did with Red Octane. No ground-breaking GH III reveal, but I think it's a good read for fans. It has questions that haven't been asked a million times already.

If you're gonna do that, so am I. :p
Here's my interview with Harmonix, in video form because 50 mins is too long for me to be arsed to transcribe. A nice big chunk about how things are like at Harmonix in part 3.

SnakeXs

Drakken said:
7 daaaaaays, woo!

Thanks for that man. As you said, nothing door bustingly new, but a solid read nevertheless.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
I can't remember the last game I payed full price for before Guitar Hero and now Guitar Hero II.

I can't wait until the 7th.

GamesAreFun said:
Like I said though, we won't stop going after Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Iron Maiden and the rest of the huge bands until we get them. These are bands that are true guitar heroes so they pretty much have to make an appearance at some point.
**** yea! That's what I like to hear.

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
I can't wait for this game to come out. I'm also picking up the wireless guitar since both of my old controllers have a problem with the cord. Heres a pic from an earlier thread that the OP can use in the first post.

wirlelessguitarherour7.jpg

Its November 2006. PS2 games no longer retail for 49.99. Especially a damn music game.

The greedy Red Octane/Activision folks will have to wait to get my money.

Gigglepoo

jamesinclair said:
Its November 2006. PS2 games no longer retail for 49.99. Especially a damn music game.

I assume the high price is a combination of licensing fees and the fact they can sell it as $50. You can't discount how much they spend on each song, though. Axl don't part with his shit for cheap.

jamesinclair said:

I wasn't happy either, but they have me by the balls.

Gigglepoo said:
I assume the high price is a combination of licensing fees and the fact they can sell it as $50. You can't discount how much they spend on each song, though. Axl don't part with his shit for cheap.

And I dont part with my money easily either. What was the last time a game like DDR was over 39.99? Newere titles have big names. Ditto for Kareoke.

And remember, Guitar Hero = covers.

jamesinclair said:
And I dont part with my money easily either. What was the last time a game like DDR was over 39.99? Newere titles have big names. Ditto for Kareoke.

And remember, Guitar Hero = covers.
They still have to pay.

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
I don't think a week has gone by that someone hasn't played gh1 at my house. That kind of replay value is worth the $50 that they are asking for imo.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Kindbudmaster said:
I can't wait for this game to come out. I'm also picking up the wireless guitar since both of my old controllers have a problem with the cord. Heres a pic from an earlier thread that the OP can use in the first post.

Thanks, now added.

sp0rsk said:
Psychobilly Freakout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gV7fdHUIlI <----looks really ****ing hard.

Cool, added to the ever-growing list of gameplay videos.

Kindbudmaster said:
I don't think a week has gone by that someone hasn't played gh1 at my house. That kind of replay value is worth the $50 that they are asking for imo.

So true. I would be a little annoyed if they weren't offering it without a guitar, but fifty bucks really is a very reasonable asking price for a game with this much staying power.

I've been trying to avoid the gameplay videos but I haven't been able to resist peeking at a few this week. I'm worried the high-end tracks will be more frustrating than fun. I mastered Frequency and Amplitude but I was never able to do a few of the tracks in Guitar Hero on Expert. Why make a song like Trogdor so ****ing hard... =/

echoshifting said:
I'm worried the high-end tracks will be more frustrating than fun.

I'm also slightly concerned about this. Five-starring something like BatM Expert is really freaking hard but it's something I can kind of vaguely imagine I might someday be able to accomplish -- some of the expert stuff on GH2 looks pretty intimidating.

Superbone

charlequin said:
I'm also slightly concerned about this. Five-starring something like BatM Expert is really freaking hard but it's something I can kind of vaguely imagine I might someday be able to accomplish -- some of the expert stuff on GH2 looks pretty intimidating.

The practice mode will make a big difference in that regard. You'll be able to play just the tricky parts over and over. You'll also be able to slow them down and gradually increase the speed until you've mastered it. This process is very much like mastering a real instrument.

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
Superbone said:
The practice mode will make a big difference in that regard. You'll be able to play just the tricky parts over and over. You'll also be able to slow them down and gradually increase the speed until you've mastered it. This process is very much like mastering a real instrument.

So true. Having a practice mode will be a godsend for some of the harder songs for me. On another note, I just watched the video for tattooed love boys and I have to say that the singer does a very good job. I was a bit worried when I first heard that this song was included but it seems my fears were misplaced. Good job Harmonix. They also did a good job getting the right tone for Jessica.

Tiktaalik

Is there a release date yet for the Xbox 360 version? I still don't know what to do. Obviously the future of the franchise is 360/PS3, and I don't want to be stuck with two guitars that don't work on new games. So it makes sense to get a head start on my XB360 Guitar collection. And yet on the other hand... I want to play Guitar Hero 2 so bad.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
If I recall correctly, it was the developers who hinted at or mentioned genre specific add on packs (ummm read not $50). I'm not bitching since I have two guitars and already consider it a great investment (and will no doubt buy GHII). But I wonder if that was just a rumor or still going to happen or axed by the new big machine in charge.

Zaxxon said:
Is there a release date yet for the Xbox 360 version? I still don't know what to do. Obviously the future of the franchise is 360/PS3, and I don't want to be stuck with two guitars that don't work on new games. So it makes sense to get a head start on my XB360 Guitar collection. And yet on the other hand... I want to play Guitar Hero 2 so bad.
Do you already have two guitars? There is a game-only version.

ElyrionX

Damn, I've only got one guitar but I want to pick up another one for co-op on GHII. But then again, next-gen is here and it's a pretty huge investment to buy another guitar now and buy another two in the future for next-gen play. WTF do I do GAF?

I'm so glad that two of my good friends bought Guitar Hero as well. :D

I frankly don't know what I would do in your situation Elyrion, you're not going to buy both versions of GHII, right?

SnakeXs

ElyrionX said:
Damn, I've only got one guitar but I want to pick up another one for co-op on GHII. But then again, next-gen is here and it's a pretty huge investment to buy another guitar now and buy another two in the future for next-gen play. WTF do I do GAF?

Be like me, bow to your guitar overlords and pay them their ransom many times over. :lol

Fusebox

Banned
I've got the red cabled guitar for PS2 and initially I was just gonna restrict all my GH'ing to the PS2, but then I saw this:

wirlelessguitarherour7.jpg

That wireless controller alone is enough to make me upgrade to the 360 version as soon as it comes out...

iguitar-hero-iii-to-rock-the-xbox-360-20060927041224865.jpg

Now THATS a cool wireless guitar controller!

Tiktaalik

ElyrionX said:

This is my situation too, more simply stated.

Varshes

I got this today early, wife and I have been playing it, we both love the songs, and the hammer ons and offs seem a little easier.

Note to fellow Canadians, the outer package of the guitar+game combo is bilingual (I hate that) but the inner game was the US english-only version.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Varshes said:
I got this today early, wife and I have been playing it, we both love the songs, and the hammer ons and offs seem a little easier.

Note to fellow Canadians, the outer package of the guitar+game combo is bilingual (I hate that) but the inner game was the US english-only version.

um, where did you get it???

Miguel

I can't wait to play You Really Got Me 400 times over and over. It's going to be GH2's I Love Rock n Roll

Miguel said:
I can't wait to play You Really Got Me 400 times over and over. It's going to be GH2's I Love Rock n Roll
I've already played You Really Got Me a shitload of times just with the demo from OPM. :lol

And I barely ever played I Love Rock n Roll in the original. I thought it was boring as hell.

More Than A Feeling FTW

Wario64 said:
Best Buy break the street date now dammit
Seconded

Miguel

CajoleJuice said:
I've already played You Really Got Me a shitload of times just with the demo from OPM. :lol

And I barely ever played I Love Rock n Roll in the original. I thought it was boring as hell.

More Than A Feeling FTW

Seconded

I've been playing the Demo too...

and I played I Love Rock n Roll because it helped me at least warm up a little before I got into the songs as I moved up difficulties. It's the Video game version of a slump buster. :lol

Miguel said:
I've been playing the Demo too...

and I played I Love Rock n Roll because it helped me at least warm up a little before I got into the songs as I moved up difficulties. It's the Video game version of a slump buster. :lol
Kinda like facing Braden Looper?

Drakken said:
Thirded. Not a single store near me has the 10-song demo, so I've only gotten to play 4 songs. The wait is killing me.
It is bad that I'm not going to my last class tomorrow to go to Best Buy and play the GHII 10 song demo instead?

But I probably wouldn't go to the class anyway.

Fusebox

Banned
I saw a new torrent out for the demo which has "cracked demo - 29 songs" as its description.

Fake? Or can you squeeze 29 songs out of the 10 song demo with a Gameshark code or something?

Fusebox said:
I saw a new torrent out for the demo which has "cracked demo - 29 songs" as its description.

Fake? Or can you squeeze 29 songs out of the 10 song demo with a Gameshark code or something?
It's true. There was a whole thread about it, I believe.

Top Bottom