• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE Official Guitar Hero II Thread

Uncle AJ

It took me a good three weeks to 5-star Misirlou, but THE LOG IS NOW MINE, BITCHES!

WHAT.

Bring on GHII for 360 so I can do it all over again! :D

Mo the Hawk said:
It took me a good three weeks to 5-star Misirlou, but THE LOG IS NOW MINE, BITCHES!

WHAT.

Bring on GHII for 360 so I can do it all over again! :D

So that's 5 stars on every song on expert? Needless to say if you did, that is ****ing amazing.

I gotta ask though, was it sorta like you bit the bullet and pushed yourself to do the songs over and over, or did you just get it through your normal playing habits?

I've tried to bring myself to practise songs but it gets to boring to do the same song over and over.

Oh yeah, and get on the red phone to Harmonix/Gametrailers whoever you need to and get them to let you play for their trailer videos. I hate watching/listening to people who suck.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Just something I noticed on gamerankings, there are already a number of reviews for the 360 version of Guitar Hero 2, and it's looking really good so far (even though none of the "popular" publications have reviewed the game yet):

Official Xbox Magazine 9.5 out of 10
GamePro 4.75 out of 5
Hardcore Gamer Magazine 5 out of 5
Play Magazine 9.5 out of 10

Just to build a little hype, but I guess that's not really needed right? :p
Less than 4 weeks left.

speculawyer said:
Less than a month until GH 2 for xbox 360. :) The lack of online play blows though. (They didn't get that in there, right?)

I like online play just as much as the next duder but, come on, there is no earthly way it work.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I like online play just as much as the next duder but, come on, there is no earthly way it work.

Unless they had you go one on one, though not perfectly synched, and would just compare the scores at the end. But that's fairly pointless if there's leaderboards.

I hope there's leaderboards. There's leaderboards, right?

ok, i just picked up a used ps2 for this game (that's right, my first ps2), and i must say that this game is a blast. thanks gaf, for unknowingly talking me into this.

Does anyone know when this ships to people who ordered online, or retailers? I was wondering if I will have my copy arrive on April 3rd, because GH games usually are at the store awhile before release.

snack said:
Does anyone know when this ships to people who ordered online, or retailers? I was wondering if I will have my copy arrive on April 3rd, because GH games usually are at the store awhile before release.
I have a feeling that it is going to ship on Mar 27 because:
1) It's a tuesday
2)The game is street dated for Apr 3 so it will have to ship sooner
3)At one point costco.com had it listed for a mar 27 ship
I emailed redoctane but they didn't have a ship date to tell me

darkressurection said:
I have a feeling that it is going to ship on Mar 27 because:
1) It's a tuesday
2)The game is street dated for Apr 3 so it will have to ship sooner
3)At one point costco.com had it listed for a mar 27 ship
I emailed redoctane but they didn't have a ship date to tell me

Sounds about right. I pre-ordered the PS2 version from RedOctane. If it works the same again this time, look for it to change early-mid next week. Mine shipped so that I received it right on the release tuesday, so I wouldn't panic.

Uncle AJ

PedroLumpy said:
I gotta ask though, was it sorta like you bit the bullet and pushed yourself to do the songs over and over, or did you just get it through your normal playing habits?.

It wasn't a breeze, if that's what you're asking.

The trouble with pushing yourself to 5-star a difficult song is that you'll inevitably wear yourself out after a few tries. There are just certain days where I can't even do the intro segments to Jordan properly, leaving me no chance to get through the crazy solos. A few times, I literally had to set aside certain times of the day to playing a song and getting it right the first time.

There's just a lot of tricks to certain songs that you'll probably miss the first time through. Ex: when you need to hit red/blue and yellow/orange repeatedly in Psychobilly Freakout, it's much less strenuous on your fingers to move the pointer and index fingers back and forth than to use middle and pinky to hit the yellow/orange notes. It's all about maintaining that multiplier.

Memorizing where the star power opportunites appear also helps.

There's definitely an art to this. You must be in a total zen/rock god state of mind. \m/ -_- \m/

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
heavy liquid said:
Sounds about right. I pre-ordered the PS2 version from RedOctane. If it works the same again this time, look for it to change early-mid next week. Mine shipped so that I received it right on the release tuesday, so I wouldn't panic.

Nice. I wondered why the website said I would have it "before most gamers".

Anyway, Multiplayer Pack is ordered. I spent some decent time with the new Guitar, and I like.

C4Lukins

Vyse The Legend said:
My local BestBuy has a demo kiosk set up with the 360 version of GH2. Needless to say, I hate the guitar and won't be picking it up.

What do you hate about the guitar?

C4Lukins said:
What do you hate about the guitar?

Let me preface this by saying that I've had GH since the first print/version of the guitars, so my guitar is the oldest school model out there. Anyway, the fret buttons felt "off." I tried to play Sweet Child O' Mine (which I can 5-star on the PS2 version), and whenever I slid my hand to hit orange, I ended up overshooting it (due to buttons either being smaller or closer together; not sure which). Also, the Star Power button is farther back and about 1/4 the size on the ps2's guitar, so you are forced to lift the guitar to activate star power because reaching and searching for that tiny, tiny button is ridiculous. Aesthetically, it's also ugly, due to the aforementioned tiny start and select buttons and the ugly D-pad.

Maybe these aren't deal-breakers for most, but, for me, they are.

Vyse The Legend said:
I have heard the reason the buttons felt different were because they are more square than the original so they feel more tightly packed together. I am still looking forward to the new guitar because it is an X-Plorer, I am starting to get tired of my SG(first edition also:D )

Kewk

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
Let me preface this by saying that I've had GH since the first print/version of the guitars, so my guitar is the oldest school model out there. Anyway, the fret buttons felt "off." I tried to play Sweet Child O' Mine (which I can 5-star on the PS2 version), and whenever I slid my hand to hit orange, I ended up overshooting it (due to buttons either being smaller or closer together; not sure which). Also, the Star Power button is farther back and about 1/4 the size on the ps2's guitar, so you are forced to lift the guitar to activate star power because reaching and searching for that tiny, tiny button is ridiculous. Aesthetically, it's also ugly, due to the aforementioned tiny start and select buttons and the ugly D-pad.

eh I feel the exact opposite. I have ever guitar ever put out for the PS2 and the 360 one feels that absolute best to me. The only thing I hate about is that it is not wireless. Songs feel much easier to play without a doubt, at least for me.

And FYI only pansies use the button for star power. To be a true GH player you must rock the **** out! If you used the button for star power around circle of friends you'd just get boo'd and heckled lol.

hellfire

Vyse The Legend said:

the button spacing is identical. the neck is narrower, which is why it feels smaller (i think some of us use the bottom edge of the neck to determine how far we're reaching, since the neck is narrower, we think we're further than we are). took me a while to get used to it.

lifting the guitar is y'know, the way it was meant to be...it's the select button on the ps2, not the 'star power' button :p

My old model guitar has trouble detecting the "lift" movement unless you do it a few times, so I've grown accustomed to using select button to do it. It's easier and faster, overall anyway, although not as "rockerish."

The point still stands, though. I hated the 360 guitar. I'll bite, if the DLC is awesome, however.

Top Bottom