• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE Official Guitar Hero II Thread

snacknuts

we all knew her
I'm down to the last ten songs on Expert and have been having a much tougher go of things for the past couple songs. I doubt I'll be able to finish all of them, especially in the last set. I never got around/was able to beat Cowboys From Hell or Bark At The Moon on Expert in the first game.

Dilbert

zesty said:
I'm down to the last ten songs on Expert and have been having a much tougher go of things for the past couple songs. I doubt I'll be able to finish all of them, especially in the last set. I never got around/was able to beat Cowboys From Hell or Bark At The Moon on Expert in the first game.
We should play sometime -- I seem to be at your exact skill level.

no_to_co

does anybody know when GH II for the 360 comes out? It looks like they released pictures of the final box, but no release date.

pollo

Banned
Man the more I play this game, the more I think Red Octane just didn't give a shit about some of the songs they included.....

Some of the songs are just downright boring to play....I like GH1's track list sooo much more =(

Does anyone know if the Blu-ray remote might be able to solve the PS3 incompatability problem since it has a PS button on it, or would that achieve the same lack of success as trying to start the game using a controller?

Gek54

I have heard there is a Guitar Hero 2 Remix mod where someone put in their own songs. Does anyone know what this is about or if its any good?

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Just played the Xbox 360 version with a couple new songs. I'm looking for the press release to see just which ones I'm allowed to talk about, but I know that Rancid's "Salvation" and Pearl Jam's "Life Wasted" are two of the new 360 tracks.

OLD?!

EDIT: Oh yeah. I forgot about "Possum Kingdom" by The Toadies. They'll release 5 of the 10 today.

Geek said:
Just played the Xbox 360 version with a couple new songs. I'm looking for the press release to see just which ones I'm allowed to talk about, but I know that Rancid's "Salvation" and Pearl Jam's "Life Wasted" are two of the new 360 tracks.

OLD?!

Nice. When's the embargo up? I want to know them all now.

Geek said:

OLD?!

EDIT: Oh yeah. I forgot about "Possum Kingdom" by The Toadies. They'll release 5 of the 10 today.

OMFG KILLER APP. "Possum Kingdom"!!!!

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Cool, so there's 10 new songs huh? If they're good enough songs...I will probably have to pick up the 360 version. Especially if they throw in some Joe Satriani, Europe or Dire Straits songs. :D
But god, please release a guitar controller adapter for 360! I don't want to buy another controller, and I sure as hell don't want that ugly official one. :/

Geek

Ninny Prancer
So... the tracks they have "announced" are "Rock and Roll Hootchie Koo" by Rick Derringer, "Hush" by Deep Purple, "Dead!" by My Chemical Romance, "Billion Dollar Babies" by Alice Cooper and "Life Wasted" by Pearl Jam.

Strangely, though, "Possum Kingdom" by The Toadies and "Salvation" by Rancid were on the show floor.

Geek said:
So... the tracks they have "announced" are "Rock and Roll Hootchie Koo", "Hush", "Dead!", "Billion Dollar Babies" and "Life Wasted."

Strangely, though, "Possum Kingdom" and "Salvation" were on the show floor.

I only know who does the last one. (And "RARHK") I am teh lame.

Dilbert

robojimbo said:
I see they aren't giving any merit to criticisms that the song list was too obscure.
It's weird -- I thought that the songlist for the first one was more accessible...but when some friends who hadn't played GH2 came over for New Year's Eve, they commented on how they knew so many more of the songs in the sequel.

Ogni-XR21

I liked the tracklist of the first one much more! I had so many songs I just loved in GH1, in 2 I don't have any urge to play most of the songs again.

First play through on medium was straightaway boring to me, not one OMFG THIS WAS SO GREAT I HAVE TO PLAY IT AGAIN song on there... so now I have no interest in continuing on hard.

Well it's just a different style of music they used this time, kind of feels like they thought "let's show these kiddies out there what REAL rock classics are!"

Seth C

Ogni-XR21 said:
I liked the tracklist of the first one much more! I had so many songs I just loved in GH1, in 2 I don't have any urge to play most of the songs again.

First play through on medium was straightaway boring to me, not one OMFG THIS WAS SO GREAT I HAVE TO PLAY IT AGAIN song on there... so now I have no interest in continuing on hard.

Well it's just a different style of music they used this time, kind of feels like they thought "let's show these kiddies out there what REAL rock classics are!"

So they went with modern bands like Foo Fighters (first album in 1995), The Living End (1998), Lamb of God (2000), Avenged Sevenfold (2001), Drist (2003), Valient Thorr (2003), and The Sword (2006) combined with modern classics like Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Guns N Rose, and Rage Against the Machine to do this? Sounds more like they tried to strike a balance between new and old...you know, just like the first game. It isn't as if the first Guitar Hero didn't have a ton of classic songs from artists like Joan Jett & The Blackhearts, The Ramones, Deep Purple, Boston, Judas Priest, ZZ Top, Queen, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, Blue Öyster Cult, Stevie Ray Vaughan, The Edgar Winter Group, and Ozzy Osbourne. Can you really get more classic than The Ramones, Jimi Hendrix, and Ozzy Osbourne?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Ogni-XR21 said:

It's funny how I went back to GH1 recently after playing GH2 a lot - I find GH1 to be boring now, because it lacks the challenge of GH2. Because even with more forgiving HO/PO, GH2 is definitely harder IMO.

But yeah, this was about the song lists, in which I'll say the same thing I've been saying from the start...which is GH2 songlist is good, it just more songs that are boring to play or listen to. GH1 had a more even level of quality in its songs, but there are quite a lot of songs in GH2 I consider awesome to play. The playlist has really grown on me, I've even found a few bonus tracks I love to play.
Still, I'm disappointed in the singers doing the covers in GH2, some of them noticably off compared to the original artists. Usually in a bad way.

Link1110

Just made the jump from easy to medium. Been working on getting I Wanna Be Sedated perfect like I did for easy.

There are a few parts that are HARD though, when you first get the blues and it goes like x xx xx x xx, i almost always screw up the beginnign because I'm not used to transitioning from the red/green to blue, tnen right after that, going back is hard, then theres one part where it goes from a green/yellow to red/blue, and that gives me problems.

I'm not doing bad though, managed 160,000 (where the top score on scorehero.com is 182,000 (I think.)

So I am about halfway through hard, but still get into sections of songs that completely throw me off rhythm and pattern-wise. How important is it to use and up down strum pattern? I have played the game pretty much up to this point with a down only style unless I hit a part that is super fast single notes where I have to go up/down/up/down.

I saw the 360 version listed for March at EB. Forgot if the price was 80 or 90.
I just hope the 80's game comes out for 360 as well and at the same time. I don't want 4 geetars lying around.

Alpha_eX

Flynn said:
I know this is a clever fake, but I think it's very likely that we'll see an all Metallica Guitar Hero.

It's like George R.R. Martin getting an HBO show -- an inevitability.

It's not a fake, if you look back a page or two for my post, there's links to loads of custom GH songs, in December it was hacked so you can put in your own songs.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
BigGreenMat said:
So I am about halfway through hard, but still get into sections of songs that completely throw me off rhythm and pattern-wise. How important is it to use and up down strum pattern? I have played the game pretty much up to this point with a down only style unless I hit a part that is super fast single notes where I have to go up/down/up/down.

I managed pretty much through the entire first game (except for the last two songs) with strumming down only, without any problems. But in GH2 and especially on expert, there a number of songs where up-and-down strumming helps a LOT. The songs are just too fast and repetitive for me, I lose my rhythm and my hand gets tired. I mean, the last group of songs on expert, I'm basically screwed if I only strum down.

miyuru

Kiriku said:
I managed pretty much through the entire first game (except for the last two songs) with strumming down only, without any problems. But in GH2 and especially on expert, there a number of songs where up-and-down strumming helps a LOT. The songs are just too fast and repetitive for me, I lose my rhythm and my hand gets tired. I mean, the last group of songs on expert, I'm basically screwed if I only strum down.

I made it a point from the first time I ever played GH last year to try to strum up and down. That Helmet song in the original pretty much forces you to, anyway.

Now I almost always strum up and down, it's completely second nature. I really only strum down when I'm rocking out and jumping around, making huge motions with my strumming arm :lol

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
miyuru said:
I made it a point from the first time I ever played GH last year to try to strum up and down. That Helmet song in the original pretty much forces you to, anyway.

Now I almost always strum up and down, it's completely second nature. I really only strum down when I'm rocking out and jumping around, making huge motions with my strumming arm :lol

I don't remember having much trouble strumming in any of the songs in GH1. But then, I didn't really try to reach five stars on every song on expert either, so maybe that's why.
I've been somewhat trying to learn strumming up and down lately, but I really think your strategy is probably the best. If you have the patience and motivation, learn it from the start, definitely. It's kind of hard to readjust after spending a huge number of hours only strumming down. :p

miyuru

Kiriku said:
I don't remember having much trouble strumming in any of the songs in GH1. But then, I didn't really try to reach five stars on every song on expert either, so maybe that's why.
I've been somewhat trying to learn strumming up and down lately, but I really think your strategy is probably the best. If you have the patience and motivation, learn it from the start, definitely. It's kind of hard to readjust after spending a huge number of hours only strumming down. :p

So true! The only reason I started that way was because I invited over a friend who plays guitar, and he naturally strummed up and down, which I didn't even realise you could do at the time.

It just makes playing the game much more efficient, and it feels more natural to create rhythm through going up *and* down, it's less jarring than down - down - down strumming.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Dont think this is very legal but someone uploaded a hacked version of GH2 that replaces every song in the game with new songs:

Opening-Licks (classic Rock) *************DONE*****************

1. Blue Oyster Cult/ Dont Fear the Reaper ***EXPERT*** (DONE) 4:55
2. AcDc/ You shook me all night long (expert) DONE 3:30
3. Steppen Wolf/ Born to Be Wild (Medium, expert) done
4. Elvis/ Blue Suede Shoes expert DONE 2:01
5. Pink Floyd Comfortably Numb EXPERT DONE 6:23

Amp Warmers (Metal)************DONE***************

1. Iron Maiden/ Aces High
2. Blind Guardian/Mirror Mirror EXPERT DONE STAR POWER! 5:06
3. Avenged Sevenfold/ Bat Country Done (Medium, Hard, Expert) STAR POWER! 5:13
4. Dragonforce/Through the Fire and Flames DONE (HArd, Expert) STARPOWER!******* 7:24
5. Symphony X Smoke & Mirrors Expert DONE 6:08 MY OWN EDIT

String-Snappers Third (Rock) **********DONE**********

1. Mud vayne/ Happy (EXPERT) DONE 3:37
2. Breaking Benjamin/ Diary of Jane HARD DONE 3:18
3. Blink 182/Whats my Age Again (DONE) hard 2:26
4. Lustra/ Scotty Doesn't Know HARD DONE 2:56
5. School of Rock Main Theme ALL DONE 4:12

Thrash and Burn (Hard Rock) ************DONE***************

1. Killswitch Engage/ This Fire Burns v2 EXPERT STARPOWER DONE 3:05
2. Rammstein/ Links 2 3 4 EXPERT STARPOWER DONE 3:45
3. Rob Zombie/ Operation Overlord HARD DONE STARPOWER 3:28
4. Popa Roach/ Last Resort medium DONE STARPOWER 3:22
5. Linkin Park/ In the End HARD STARPOWER done 3:36

Return of the Shred (Video Games) *****DONE*******

1. Mike Tyson Punch Out (Hard) 3:32
2. Ninja Gaiden (Expert) 4:08
3. SuperMario Bros 2 Expert DONE 6:15
4. SystemofDown/ Legend of Zelda (Easy & Hard) 1:01
5. One Wing Angel (Expert) 6:07

Relentless Riffs (Metal & Rock) *****DONE*******

1.Kamelot/ Soul Society EXPERT DONE 4:17
2.Metallica/ Seek and Destroy HARD done 6:55
3.Muse/ Knights of Cydonia HARD done 6:03
4.Guns N Roses/ Welcome to the Jungle (DONE) 4:33
5.Disturbed/ Stupify medium hard DONE 4:36

FURIOUS WORKS

1. Collective Soul/ Heavy DONE EXPERT 2:56
2. Metallica/ Nothing Else Matters DONE 6:28
3. SystemofDown/Chop Suey DONE EXPERT 3:30
4. Seether / Remedy (One Cold Night) DONE EXPERT 3:41
5. P.O.D./ Alive (Medium, Hard, Expert) DONE

Face-Melters

1. Metallica/ Master of Puppets (DONE) EXPERT 8:37
2. Chuck Berry/ Johnny B. Good (DONE) ALL STAR POWER! 3:50
3. Guns N Roses/ November Rain done EXPERT 8:57
4. Jerry C/ Pacabel's canon (canon Rock) Expert 5:24
5. Led Zepplin/ Stairway to Heaven EXPERT DONE 8:02

Bonus (24 songs)

1. Eddie Van Halen/ Too Hot For Teacher Done (Medium, Hard, Expert)
2. Daft Punk/ Aerodynamic (medium, hard, expert) done
3. Jimmi Hendrix/ National Anthem (DONE) Expert MY OWN EDIT
4. Weezer/ Say it aint so Expert done
5. Cky / 96 Quite Bitter Beings Expert DONE
6. Tenacious D/ Beelzeboss DONE EXPERT
7. Beck/ Devils Hair Cut MEDIUM DONE
8. Survivor/ Eye of the Tiger medium DONE
9. Sum 41/ Over My Head Done (Hard, Expert)
10. Lynryd Skynryd/ Sweet Home Alabama Expert DOne
11. Metallica/ One HARD done
12. Ozzy Osbourne/ Shot in the Dark expert DONE
13. Popa Roach/ Blood Brothers DONE HARD
14. Led Zeppelin/ Living Loving Maid EXPERT DONE
15. Drowning Pool/ Love and war expert DONE
16. Tenacoius D/ pick of destiny hard
17. Johnny Cash/ Rusty Cage hard DONE
18. Thrice/ Stare at the Sun SIX (Medium, Hard, Expert)
19. Red Hot Chilli Peppers/ Under the Bridge (hard, expert) DONE
20. pantera/ walk Expert DONE
21. Nirvana/ Smells Like Teen Spirit Expert done
22. Limp Biskit/ Break Stuff medium done
23. Megadriver/ Megaman X experts
24. Dark Moor/ Vivaldi's Winter expert DONE

Wario64 said:
Dont think this is very legal but someone uploaded a hacked version of GH2 that replaces every song in the game with new songs:

id want that if only for Johnny B. Good, just to have a BTTF moment.

The phenomenon that is Guitar Hero 2 is set to hit the Xbox 360 on April 3rd 2007.

It has been announced that the Xbox 360 version will contain 10 new songs that were not found in the Playstation 2 version. However here is song that was not announced, officially anyway. According to Xbox Official Magazine March 2007 issue, the Xbox 360 version could get a awesomely unique downloadable song that is none other than Steve Vai's electric guitar version of "Halo Mjolnir Theme Song".

Sweet!

source: Xbox Official Magazine March 2007

http://www.hdgamenews.com/2007/02/xbox-360-guitar-hero-2-could-feature.html

Neo_ZX

Hackers Edition is garbage.

- The music is not normalized
- Some songs (papa roach- blood brothers) are utterly broken with notes that don't even follow the song, others (Dragonforce) are utterly impossible
- Sync problems
- The notes seem more forgiving on timing (feels easier)
- You might delete/taint your real save file if you leave the memcard in
- You have to pick the right difficulty or the whole game locks up
- No instrumental cut when errors are made
- Some songs don't have star power
- Not all songs are of same note placement quality

If you think about it, it is indeed an impressive collection of hacks. But as a whole it is very amateurish which is why the dev/publisher aren't really sweatin it.

Daigoro

im still working on Hard on GHII, its going well but there are a lot of difficult spots still.

i also recently picked up GH1 (beat Medium and Hard already- the difficulties are much easier for the most part). i can safely say that GH2 blows away GH1 in every single respect, including the playlist. there are a bunch of really great songs on GH1, but there are also like 2 1/2-3 full tiers of music that suck and are completely not fun to play.

i still feel that GH1 is worth it if you have GH2 and want more GH action, but GH2 is really a great improvement.

i hope Neversoft does this license proud. it deserves it.

Top Bottom