• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE Official Guitar Hero II Thread

Fusebox

Banned
Some of the songs I originally disliked have grown on my goddamit I turned my PS2 off before saving after finally beating Hangar 18 yesterday.

Pro tip: If one of your fret-hand fingertips starts aching scrape off the ridge on the yellow fret, that thing becomes a killer in expert.

ElyrionX

Got the game yesterday and just completed Medium. I'm a weak GH player but I didn't fail at a single song. However, the game's learning curve seems to be really high as some of the early songs are pretty hard as compared to GH. However, the game's last tier of songs was quite a bit easier than GH1's Bark at the Moon and Cowboys From Hell.

Overall, I think the song list is pretty weak in early to mid game but picks up quite a bit in late game. Sweet Child O' Mine is the highlight of the game for me. YYZ and Freebird and a couple others were fun as well.

I think the game does a great job of improving upon the Career "experience". In GH1, it was just playing song after song. But now, there's a lot more atmosphere with the encores and I like how the game asks you multiple times before letting you play Freebird.

One complaint I have is that A LOT of the songs this time round involves a lot of fast strumming which I absolutely hate.

Back again. So I've gone back to trying to 5-star Hard (about 65% there so far) after hitting a bump in the road in the form of The Sword's "Freya". They screwed with the fingering and rhythmn so much from Hard to Expert I barely got a third into it before failing. I guess in hindsight I imagined this, but I could have sworn in a developer interview they said they would try to stay away from chords that go 1 to 5 quickly. Liked that news because my fingers aren't long enough to do that. Well that seems to be a point of emphasis in Expert. I feel like my pinky is going to fall off after any extended play time.

Now that I've been through the entire song list I feel the last two stages really dropped the ball. Before there were a few misses, but as excellent as the original. Although "Miserlou" and "Free Bird" almost make up for it.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Manick Joe said:
Back again. So I've gone back to trying to 5-star Hard (about 65% there so far) after hitting a bump in the road in the form of The Sword's "Freya". They screwed with the fingering and rhythmn so much from Hard to Expert I barely got a third into it before failing. I guess in hindsight I imagined this but I could have sworn in a developer interview they said they would try to stay away from chords that go 1 to 5 quickly. Liked that news because my fingers aren't long enough to do that. Well that seems to be a point of emphasis in Expert. Feel like my pinky is going to fall off after any extended play time.

Yeah, I clearly remember hearing that as well. Freya is pain. :(

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I just realized exactly what Guitar Hero needs: more Joe Satriani and Steve Vai!!
Give me 'Back to Shalla-Bal' and my life would be complete. And my fingers a mess probably, but what the hell! :D :D :D

Bo130

Hey guys, just won a PS2 a few days ago and now I want to keep it, primarily for Guitar Hero, which absolutely rocks. Now, my question is: I'm getting GHII in a few days (friday for EU-release) and I want to know if it's worth buying GH(I) as well or does GHII improve on it in every single way? I played it for the first time yesterday and was as good as I'd imagined. Thanks for your time :)

123rl

Got it yesterday, love it so far :) Freya is really hard though for some reason..I just can't do it. I fail at about 70% every time!

My mate has finished it on hard while I was watching and tbh a lot of the later songs have a big leap in difficulty from the earlier songs. A lot of them look like they should in Expert mode

yonder

Bo130 said:
Hey guys, just won a PS2 a few days ago and now I want to keep it, primarily for Guitar Hero, which absolutely rocks. Now, my question is: I'm getting GHII in a few days (friday for EU-release) and I want to know if it's worth buying GH(I) as well or does GHII improve on it in every single way? I played it for the first time yesterday and was as good as I'd imagined. Thanks for your time :)
You should definitely buy the first one as well. Congrats on winning :) But maybe you should play the original first in case it feels weird switching back to the original from II. I can't really say anything 'cause I'm in PAL land waiting for Friday.

By the way, Play.com has the Guitar + Game pack in stock, but not the solus pack.

Baker

Banned
I just want to give a big "**** you" to Rock This Town on expert. I had no problems at all up until that song and even with practice mode, I can never get any of the verse to play correctly.

Dilbert

For a weaksauce gamer like me, beating GH2 on Hard makes me happy. I think my wrist is going to need some time to recover, though -- I ran through the top four tiers in one play session. "Freebird," ouch. Next up is to go back and work on getting five stars on most of Hard before pushing onto Expert. This is a shoo-in for game of the year, and all the people yammering about PS3 and Wii rather than rocking out to Guitar Hero make me sad.

I think that Tier 4 is the best group of songs in the game, although Tier 6 is close behind. Third place would be Tier 2 -- I love the best songs in that group better than Tier 6, but that awful Nirvana cover drags it down.

Oh yeah, to the person who asked: Buy and beat GH1 first. It's absolutely worth playing, but the improvements from GH2 make it hard to go backwards. (I like the idea of re-releasing GH1 as a standalone using the engine from GH2. I would totally buy that.)

got this yesterday... beat it on hard today and now up to teir three on expert... i've played far too much of the orignal over the last few months so i am finding most songs easy.

still fun though :)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Tiduz said:
im @ Psychobilly freakout @ Expert... Holy hell is all i can say.

I'm stuck there as well. Stopped playing it for a while, but intend to go back and beat it...someday. :p

Drakken

Wario64 said:
Has anyone beaten this on Expert?

Yeah, I finally got around to playing it a couple days ago after not touching it for a week. I had beaten everything except for Freebird, and I passed that on my first try this time.

I've beaten all the bonus songs except for Jordan. I'm gonna have to go into Practice mode in order to get through those crazy solos. :eek:

I'm working on getting more 5-stars and improving my scores on Expert right now. I'd like to get in the top 100 on Scorehero. After that, I think I'll play through on Hard and go for all 5-stars.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>1. I'd pay $20 for a Guitar Hero I Special Edition that had the gameplay improvements of GH2 along with GH1's song list (specifically, a practice mode and a widened timing window for HOPOs).<<<

The original version of Guitar Hero still sells for twice that, even without a guitar.
Anyway, what you want in terms of features IS happening, but on 360 as XBLM microtransactions for Guitar Hero 2.

I thought made in mexico really rose the bar when talking about HIDEOUS songs in the first guitar hero. They did it sooooo "well" that I've been convinced for more than a year I'd never ever hear a worse song all through my live.

I was wrong. Made in mexico has jumped their own mark and risen the bar again with the most RIDICULOUS AND ABSURD SONG EVER PLAYED. I've almost puked.

Baker

Banned
Tiduz said:
im @ Psychobilly freakout @ Expert... Holy hell is all i can say.

That's where I'm stuck too. I beat everything else in that group first try but I can't picture myself caring enough to beat Freakout.

Next time my buddy is around he's going to beat Freakout for me and I'm doing Hangar for him.

Daigoro

Holy SHIT!

i thought i could get away without having to buy this game and a pair of guitar controllers, but i went over to a friends house last night and player 2p GHII for a few hours... and i was dead ****ing wrong.

i need this game now. i had way too much fun last night to deny myself the pleasure of Guitar Hero any longer. its going to be an investment, but it will pay itself off easily.

where's a good place to buy it and another guitar? are those 3rd party guitars any good, or do i need to get a second official guitar controller as well?

JayDubya

Banned
sublime085 said:
Toys R us had a GH2 with guitar plus an extra guitar for $99. That's probably the best deal you'll find right now.

Is this still going on?

This is what my wife wanted for Christmas, and I have $200 in TRU giftcards coming in the mail.

I was going to get the GH1 (w/ guitar) and GH2 (w/ guitar), and that's $69.99 & $79.99 respectively. I mean, this deal isn't huge, as it would only save $10 bucks over just buying both game bundles, but that's still something.

Daigoro

sublime085 said:
It was in the Sunday paper so I'm assuming it's all week.

thats a highly awesome deal if i can find any in stock and the deal is still on. thanks for the heads up.

oh wait:

JayDubya said:
I was going to get the GH1 (w/ guitar) and GH2 (w/ guitar), and that's $69.99 & $79.99 respectively. I mean, this deal isn't huge, as it would only save $10 bucks over just buying both game bundles, but that's still something.

where can you pick up GH1 with guitar at that price? maybe thats the way to go actually. GH1 is still expensive to buy without the guitar.

oh god i cant wait to ROCK!

Fusebox

Banned
Wario64 said:

39/40 and I can't be arsed getting through Freebird. I hate the singing and it's boring, especially when I can hit every note perfectly up until around 65% when it gets hairy. I only had a few goes at it but I'm just totally unmotivated to beat it - I loved BaTM and CFH from GH1 so I didnt mind replaying them over and over to beat them but Freebird sucks and so I'm stopping GHII right here.

Future

Playing through on expert now, and up to the first tier. Likin it, but damn it feels like they came up with the most painful button combinations to play the songs now. And green + orange chords? Come on

Daigoro

Fusebox said:
39/40 and I can't be arsed getting through Freebird. I hate the singing and it's boring, especially when I can hit every note perfectly up until around 65% when it gets hairy. I only had a few goes at it but I'm just totally unmotivated to beat it - I loved BaTM and CFH from GH1 so I didnt mind replaying them over and over to beat them but Freebird sucks and so I'm stopping GHII right here.

arg. im sick to death of Freebird and i dont own the game yet. not looking forward to that...

Wait, people think Institutionalized sucks? What the hell is wrong with you?

Anyway, stuck on Crazy On You on Expert at the moment.

Ronabo

I hate that the "hidden unlockable" guitars have to be purchased after unlocking them. It's bullshit. I can't earn enough money to by them plus all the other crap. Stupid!

Ronabo said:
I hate that the "hidden unlockable" guitars have to be purchased after unlocking them. It's bullshit. I can't earn enough money to by them plus all the other crap. Stupid!
It's pretty annoying, but I guess it isn't that bad when you need to get five stars on everything to get enough money to buy the guitars you unlock by doing so.

What I want to know is why the making of videos are missing from the PAL version.

Hit a huge roadblock in the form of "Psychobilly Freakout" and "Carry Me Home" in Expert. It seems like it is going to take a ton of practice for me to overcome them. I think it will be more worth my time to go back and 5-star Hard. Have about 28/40 done with the rest 4-starred except "Institutionalized".

Okin said:
So who here can hammer the entire end of Laid To Rest without strumming once?

*raises hand*

:D
Since you've played the song from top to bottom, you're probably the best person to ask this to: how are the vocals of GHII's Laid to Rest compared to Randy Blythe's (frontman of Lamb of God)? I am a huge LoG fan and that song is a primary reason for me to buy the game, but I would very much like to know how the vocals in the game compare to Blythe's growls and screeches.

Btw, Hello GAF, LONG time lurker, first time poster, please be gentle! :)

yonder

buckfutter said:
What I want to know is why the making of videos are missing from the PAL version.
Yeah, first thing I did after I've played a few songs was to go to the store and look for the videos...

No videos :(

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
With all the other big titles coming out around the same time, I hadn't bothered to get GH2 yet, until it arrived from GameFly the other day. So, I played through Medium (I really suck at GH) over the last day or so, off and on. So today I go turn on the PS2 so that I can move on to Hard and... wtf? Save data corrupted!!

Yep, my work down the drain. After some searching, it appears this has been a long-standing problem with GH2 which the developers asked for info on but then refused any further comment towards.

Anyone else have this happen? Luckily that was the only thing on the card corrupted (Sony 8mb 1st party card, btw).

Big Nate said:
With all the other big titles coming out around the same time, I hadn't bothered to get GH2 yet, until it arrived from GameFly the other day. So, I played through Medium (I really suck at GH) over the last day or so, off and on. So today I go turn on the PS2 so that I can move on to Hard and... wtf? Save data corrupted!!

Yep, my work down the drain. After some searching, it appears this has been a long-standing problem with GH2 which the developers asked for info on but then refused any further comment towards.

Anyone else have this happen? Luckily that was the only thing on the card corrupted (Sony 8mb 1st party card, btw).
I've had it happen repeatedly on GH1, but it hasn't happened for GH2 yet. (fingers crossed!) What's the deal? it was a well-known issue for the first game yet Harmonix can't correct it for the sequel?

Joates

Banned
Help me GAF, Im in a bit of a dilemma. I absolutely love playing GH, so much so that I frequently go to my local EB when I have spare time to play it. Mind you, Im not very good, but I really enjoy playing through on medium but cant really get through hard yet, let alone expert.

My problem is, I dont know whether or not I should ask for a PS2 and GH for xmas, or just wait until it comes out for 360. Is it worth it to get it a few months ahead of time? Im in college right now so dont have loads of time to play but thats not really a deciding factor. Just whether or not its worth the purchase of a PS2 and the game or not?

Fusebox

Banned
Do the Freebird vocals remind anyone else of that Team America song??

"What would you do, if you were asked to give up your dreams for freedom?
What would you do, if asked to make the ultimate sacrifice?
Would ya think about all them people who gave up everything they had?
Would ya think about all them war vets, and would ya start to feel bad?
Freedom isn't free, it costs folks like you and me, and if we don't all chip in we'll never pay that bet.
Freedom isn't free, no there's a hefty ****in' fee, and if you don't throw in your buck o' five, who will?
Oooo, buck o' five, freedom costs a buck o' five."

I swear it's the same singer...

Wario64 said:
Only haven't beaten two bonus songs - Jordan and Six

I actually beat Freebird on my first try. So many other songs gave me much more trouble, like Hangar 18. It's so awesome though.

Daigoro

i got the game yesterday and played my ass off last night with a few friends. SO FUN! :lol

we beat easy and started to work on Medium, but its a step up for noobs like us. i cant imagine some of thses songs on hard or expert.

im just now trying to get the hang of hammers and pull offs, but i still dont quite get how to pull it off in a song. more practice i guess. im sure they will make life much easier when i get used to them.

Silicon Knight said:
Since you've played the song from top to bottom, you're probably the best person to ask this to: how are the vocals of GHII's Laid to Rest compared to Randy Blythe's (frontman of Lamb of God)? I am a huge LoG fan and that song is a primary reason for me to buy the game, but I would very much like to know how the vocals in the game compare to Blythe's growls and screeches.

Btw, Hello GAF, LONG time lurker, first time poster, please be gentle! :)

its not about the vocals, its all about the RIFFAGE. and that Lamb of God song is real fun to play. most of the vocal are passable (Mother is so crappy though), but it dosent matter.

yonder

Daigoro said:
i got the game yesterday and played my ass off last night with a few friends. SO FUN! :lol

we beat easy and started to work on Medium, but its a step up for noobs like us. i cant imagine some of thses songs on hard or expert.

im just now trying to get the hang of hammers and pull offs, but i still dont quite get how to pull it off in a song. more practice i guess. im sure they will make life much easier when i get used to them.
Don't worry, soon Medium and Easy will be a breeze. Oh, and try to learn those hammer-ons and pull-offs, they're really useful later on and makes the game much more fun to play. You should also start to try double-strumming - you'll need that later on as well. But all that will come naturally. Just play and have fun. :)

Methodis

Banned
For those of you having problems with the save, there's a secret forum that Harmonix members post on at freq.com . Go there and explain your problem and you'll defintly get a reply.

Vlad

Daigoro said:

A heads up... you can only Hammer-On or Pull-Off notes that don't have the black circle around the white part. I haven't picked up GH2 yet, but this wasn't mentioned anywhere in GH1 (manual or tutorial), so a LOT of people just weren't aware of it.

They definitely do make life easier once you get them down. I can't imagine GH without them, and I've found that I've accidentally tried doing them in logical parts in Frequency and Amplitude...

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
shuri said:
is it me or was this game completly drowned by the next gen releases?

Unfortunately, yes...I think it was to some extent. :/ At least here on GAF.

But I still think many people outside GAF, the huge majority who have no plans to buy a next-gen system for quite some time and are still happy with their PS2, are playing Guitar Hero 2 right now. I mean, the original Guitar Hero is STILL selling a healthy amount of units every month. I think in the eyes of the mainstream, Guitar Hero 2 will not be overlooked.

jakeellis01

Does anyone know if there are any differences between the old Guitar Hardware and the new one, except the color and the look?

I would like to know if it is possible to play with the Guitar Hero I Guitar on the Guitar Hero II game and vice-versa.

Bojangles

I have the guitar from GH1, and it works perfectly with GH2. I didn't buy the guitar pack for #2 cuz I have no friends.

well, no friends that can't just bring their own guitars over

Top Bottom