• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE Official Guitar Hero II Thread

From what I noticed, the Guitar Hero II guitar cannot activate Star Power (either by lifting the neck or pressing the Select button) when playing GH1. You need to use the GH1 guitar for GH1. GH1 Guitar is fine on GH2.

jakeellis01

teruterubozu said:
From what I noticed, the Guitar Hero II guitar cannot activate Star Power (either by lifting the neck or pressing the Select button) when playing GH1. You need to use the GH1 guitar for GH1. GH1 Guitar is fine on GH2.

disappointed :(

So is this confirmed?

I never played the guitar hero series and me and my roomate are quite concerned in buying one each. We were thinking of buying a Guitar Hero 1 bundle pack and a Guitar Hero II bundle pack for multiplayability.

Is this the wise choice?

Daigoro

man, i love Bad Reputation, such a fun song to play (on easy anyways! i still suck at Medium :lol)

teruterubozu said:

wow, that is a real bummer if true. i was planing on buying GH1, but if it wont work with my 2 GH2 guitars i guess i wont! crap.

-and thanks for the tips and encouragement on Hammers/Pull Offs from everyone above. im still working on putting them to use in actual songs, but not very succesfully yet... i wish the tutorial was a little more indepth on how to use them. some kind of free play where you could just work on sections that alternate between HO's and PO's would be really helpfull.

i just finished 5 starring all of the songs on easy this afternoon and plan on a LONG night of rocking out when i get out of work. i think im ready to unlock the rest of the songs on Medium.

jakeellis01

teruterubozu said:

anyone knows if this is confirmed?
tried registering on freq.com to ask about it but won't let me register :/

yonder

I went to a Guitar Hero II party yesterday and it was great! Many enjoyed it like hell and they usually don't play video games. But some of the girls thought it was way too difficult and refused to touch it. Still great, though. Co-op is just so damn fun. I borrowed a friends guitar so that me and my girlfriend can play some more today. :)

Ronabo

jakeellis01 said:
anyone knows if this is confirmed?
tried registering on freq.com to ask about it but won't let me register :/

I can use my GH2 controller on GH1 fine. In fact I find that the new controller is better. I went back to the first game and finally beat hard with the new controller.

So, I'm not sure why teruterubozu said he couldn't activate Star Power.

BuG

I played this for five minutes in Harvey Norman today and I want to get it. I don't have a PS2 but I want to get it.

Vlad

Methodis said:
http://freq.com/bb/index.php

Didn't work? If not I'll ask.

I tried to register the other day, too. I don't know if jakeellis01 is having the same problem, but for me, the Image Verification (the text you have to type in from the image to show you're not a bot or something) isn't working. Where the image is supposed to be, it just has (in text) "Registration Image".

JayDubya

Banned
Surrender on Medium difficulty is kicking my ass. Hard. I can Five Star everything else up to War Pigs, but Three Stars is the best I can get on Surrender.

Hard Mode is completely impossible to me at this point.

Guitar Hero II for only $59.98 at TRU, today only.

click here to see the coupon. You have to install a program but I guess it's ok (the link is taken from this thread) but for $20 in savings, it should be easy enough to install and then remove. Though, if you do that, you'll miss out on FFIII and FFXII for half price tomorrow.

just saw this on the redoctane website:
adux_1923_161165

here's a link if that doesn't show: http://www.redoctane.com/gh2-bag.html

interesting accessory, to say the least.

Daigoro

JayDubya said:
Surrender on Medium difficulty is kicking my ass. Hard. I can Five Star everything else up to War Pigs, but Three Stars is the best I can get on Surrender.

Hard Mode is completely impossible to me at this point.

im in about the same boat. about 1/2 of the songs on medium are pretty easy at this point, but the rest range from difficult to damn hard for a select few of them.

hard seems impossible to me, but so did medium at one point. time for more practice.

my one complaint about the game is that after a long session i cant close my eyes without visualizing the the fretboard and descending notes. like the old Tetris thing where you'd see shapes evrywhere and in your dreams. its exhausting!

i guess thats a sign that its a really fun and addictive game. ive had some huge monster sessions playing with friends.

LiveWire

Finally beat Tier 6 and Freebird last week. Nice ending after you beat Freebird on Expert. Now, to 5-star every song! :(

BTW, what is the secret you unlock for 5-starring everything on Expert? Is it
just that extra guitar, or something else? The letter you get for beating Expert makes it sound like you get something really good, but if it's just an extra guitar, who cares?

yonder

LiveWire said:
Finally beat Tier 6 and Freebird last week. Nice ending after you beat Freebird on Expert. Now, to 5-star every song! :(

BTW, what is the secret you unlock for 5-starring everything on Expert? Is it
just that extra guitar, or something else? The letter you get for beating Expert makes it sound like you get something really good, but if it's just an extra guitar, who cares?
Seems like you only get a new guitar according to GameFAQs :/

And what is up with the lack of bonus videos in the PAL version?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Wow, I just completed like half of the 40 songs on expert mode last night and now I'm up on the last song, Freebird. I thought the charts were way more difficult than the first game but I guess all my practice on both games combined let me get this far.

Freebird is still giving me a lot of trouble though...

I haven't made any progress since my last post - I still have Six and Jordan to beat on Expert. I've only really been playing GHII with friends over the past few weeks.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I had another Guitar Hero party tonight actually, it was great fun. :D
It's just too bad I can't use my 3rd party controller in Guitar Hero II, even though I have Guitar Hero II I'm stuck playing Guitar Hero (with my friends, two player mode) because the lack of 3rd party guitar controller support in GHII. It pisses me off, but what can you do. :/

Orlics

I keep on playing this on my friend's. I suck though.

Any news as to when the 360 version will be released? If it's still a ways off I'll just get it for PS2. But that controller look so nice...

I probably need to get back into playing GH2.

Anyone pick up the wireless controller? My cousin is picking up one for me for Christmas I suppose, and I want to know how long the battery life is (plus durability, I suppose).

Fusebox

Banned
Wario64 said:
Freebird is still giving me a lot of trouble though...

It was particularly frustrating for me in the sense that the song is so long and so pedestrian and I'd hit every note up until about 2/3rds of the way through the song when "*BAM* here's a zillion notes fo' yo' fingerz" and then I'm out.

I was getting bored trying to bump up those final four star songs on Hard to five so I went back and gave Expert a shot. Finally cleared Stage 6, cruised through 7 (mix of 3 and 4's on first run through) and got bitchslapped back to reality on 8. Not even one of the four did I come close and this is after a week's worth of practice. "The Beast and The Harlot" gives me trouble fingering all those weird quarter-note chords for any sustained time, "Institutionalized" I barely recognize the beginning compared to Hard and fail from the outset, "Miserlou" is just too damn fast even when I try strumming up and down and "Hanger 18" destroys me about 8 solos in.

*sigh*

LiveWire

Fusebox said:
It was particularly frustrating for me in the sense that the song is so long and so pedestrian and I'd hit every note up until about 2/3rds of the way through the song when "*BAM* here's a zillion notes fo' yo' fingerz" and then I'm out.

Yea, "Guitar Solo i" :lol What helped me was some of the bonus songs on Expert (Less Talk More Rokk for example)...they have some note patterns that aren't quite as hard as Freebird's but are of a similar repetition, in shorter bursts. As long as you can keep yourself on pace (and not overstrum, taking more rock meter away than if you tried to HOPO everything), you can save your star power for when you really need it to carry you through the sections that are absolutely hardest and sail through the rest.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>I was getting bored trying to bump up those final four star songs on Hard to five so I went back and gave Expert a shot. Finally cleared Stage 6, cruised through 7 (mix of 3 and 4's on first run through) and got bitchslapped back to reality on 8. Not even one of the four did I come close and this is after a week's worth of practice. "The Beast and The Harlot" gives me trouble fingering all those weird quarter-note chords for any sustained time, "Institutionalized" I barely recognize the beginning compared to Hard and fail from the outset, "Miserlou" is just too damn fast even when I try strumming up and down and "Hanger 18" destroys me about 8 solos in.<<<

That's pretty weird. I can pass Misirlou (third try, lol) and Beast and the Harlot, (the part that you have trouble with is the easiest for me besides the beginning and end, double weird) and I can't even pass Freya or Psychobilly Freakout. Can't pass Freebird for the same reason I can't pass Freya. Hangar 18 is like Freebird, where I can 100% the song except for the solos.
Institutionalized, I consider impossible for me.

Question to real guitar players:

Some songs are really fret-heavy and some are strum-heavy. Is this an accurate representation of how the songs would be played in real life?

Also, what's the most popular GH clone? Is it Frets on Fire?

So I play in a GH2 tournament at a local bar where I live. It's fun, they do it on a night where theres metal karaoke so the crowd is right. The only problem I have is with the scoring system they use. Basically, in order to attract more people to play they have it set up so if you play on easy and get 100% you are disqualified.. 99% you get - 11% or so.. so you would actually get a 88%, 98% you would get -10% and so on. You play on medium and it starts at -10% and hard -9% and continues downwards from there. Expert is not docked whatsoever.

My friends and I like to play at the best of our ability, and that means we all play on expert. It's more fun that way, hard is too easy. However, this scoring system is easily exploited and flawed, in my opinion. For instance if you play on expert vs someone playing on hard and you get 93% and he gets 94% (at 94% there is no penalty on hard) the person playing hard will win.. which isn't my biggest concern.

My biggest concern was last week (the second week this has been going on) one of the players from the first week who was playing on hard then played on medium and got 99% (it seemed like he purposefully missed one note so he would not be disqualified) so he was docked down to 89% and my friend playing on expert got an 87% or so. (In his defense he was drunk and trying to showboat on Laid to Rest and while switching TVs he looked at the wrong notes which we all gave him shit for). Also, another player beat another one of my friends in the first round playing on easy and getting a 99% when he was obviously better than that. It turns from being a true test of skill to who can pick the right difficulty level for the song.

Points have nothing to do with it, so it negates starpower and streaks. The first week I got eliminated while getting used to the shitty wireless guitar then when I got used to it I beat the guy I was playing scorewise but he beat me by percentage (same difficulty).

Anyone played in any tournaments? What rules did you use? Anyone have any ideas on how to revise these rules to make it more interesting and less exploitable but still available to everyone? I wish they had time to do 2 different tournaments (a score tournament and a percentage tournament) or something.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
X360 box/bundle revealed. Anyone here who has the PS2 version getting the X360 version as well? I love Guitar Hero a lot but I'm not sure if I want to put down another $80+ just to play it on X360

1167957373.jpg

1167957311.jpg

Alpha_eX

Stabby McSter said:
holy ****

tomorrow i'm picking me up an action replay
HOW DO YOU GET TAHT SHIT, GOOD SIR

You have to hack the game and put the custom song in, there are tons avalible, I like the Plug in Baby one by Muse but the quiet parts in the song are boring.

They put lots of Tool and Led Zeplin songs into the game and far too much System of a Down.

yeah, how do you put custom songs into the game? nevermind ^, that is awsome, tomorrow im gonna try to get it all working.

and I most likely will get it for the 360

Got the game for 37 at CC.

I dont get the complaints with the song list. Although adding System of a Down would have been nice, as well as some european bands (nightwish, lacuna coil). But radio-freindly songs dont always equal guitar fun songs.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
jamesinclair said:
Got the game for 37 at CC.

I dont get the complaints with the song list. Although adding System of a Down would have been nice, as well as some european bands (nightwish, lacuna coil). But radio-freindly songs dont always equal guitar fun songs.

Yeah, I agree. The song list may not as all-around good as in the first game, but I definitely think it has a good amount of fun songs still.

On a sidenote, it says on the 360 package that the 360 version will have additional songs, has anyone heard anything about which songs that may include? I may have to get the 360 version if it includes songs from the first game as well, along with new songs. Would be nice to have all the songs collected in one game. It just sucks that I would have to buy an additional guitar controller (and an ugly one at that, meh). I wish they would release an adapter that made it possible to use a PS2 guitar controller for 360.

On another sidenote still, I FINALLY managed to beat Psychobilly Freakout on Expert today. :D
Took a few tries and I really had to plan when using my star power towards the end. But wow, to be honest I never thought I would be able to beat that song without hours of practice. And moving on, I then managed Hangar 18 on my first try (but with some star power luck I think :lol). Don't know if I have enough energy to even attempt Misirlou at this point. :lol

Futureman

Any tips on playing Hard mode? Where should you keep your fingers? I'm pretty damn good on Medium (I can get 95%+ completion rating on pretty much any song), but when I play Hard, it's a disaster.

Fifty

Same here.

I'm a god at medium, but I cannot beat more than the first two songs on hard. I'm HORRIBLE.

I love what I've played of the game on medium, and multiplayer, but it sucks so much that I can't get over the hump and enjoy hard and expert difficulties. I'd hire a damn Guitar Hero tutor if they had them in Toronto :lol

^^ I actually feel that for some songs hard and expert are easier to play because you're playing more in "tune" with the music instead as there are more notes to hit. I dunno how to describe it but I breezed through the first 10 songs on the first GH on expert with 5 stars first try and I couldn't do that on hard. Granted, this was after playing through easy/medium/hard so maybe it was because of practice but it just seemed odd to me that I did so well so easily.

those custom songs are pretty interesting because now you can play the game with songs you like. it's amazing how people can figure these things out. I hope the person that figured out how to make these custom songs is hired because that's really cool and inventive.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Futureman said:
Any tips on playing Hard mode? Where should you keep your fingers? I'm pretty damn good on Medium (I can get 95%+ completion rating on pretty much any song), but when I play Hard, it's a disaster.

Fifty said:
Same here.

I'm a god at medium, but I cannot beat more than the first two songs on hard. I'm HORRIBLE.

I love what I've played of the game on medium, and multiplayer, but it sucks so much that I can't get over the hump and enjoy hard and expert difficulties. I'd hire a damn Guitar Hero tutor if they had them in Toronto :lol

You know, the real Guitar Hero starts at hard! That's when you actually get to use all of the five buttons! :D
But you are absolutely right, it is a significant step to take when you actually have to move your hand around. I remember having trouble as well in the beginning, but keep practicing and you will get better. Try to think about how you move your hand, and where you hold it for different passages in a song. Soon you'll get a feel for what to do in certain situations, and you won't have to think about it much. Once you get it down though...normal will probably seem boring. That's how I feel at least. :p

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
bune duggy said:
^^ I actually feel that for some songs hard and expert are easier to play because you're playing more in "tune" with the music instead as there are more notes to hit. I dunno how to describe it but I breezed through the first 10 songs on the first GH on expert with 5 stars first try and I couldn't do that on hard. Granted, this was after playing through easy/medium/hard so maybe it was because of practice but it just seemed odd to me that I did so well so easily.

Yeah, I think....the problem with normal (and some cases hard) is that there are so many notes you can hear in the song, but you only play one note that represents that segment of notes. That way, it doesn't really feel like you are playing those notes. It feels more like you're playing a game rather than a guitar, if that makes any sense. When I play on normal and some of the hard songs, I often find myself trying to play more notes than actually shown on the screen. In a way, it's kind of a limiting experience, at least after having played the same songs with a more accurate number of notes, so to speak.

explodet

When I play songs on hard, I place my pinkie on orange and my index on red. If I need to hit a green note I stretch, or shift my hand for a brief second.

I'm only starting to get into hard songs myself, though. I can at least pass the songs I'm familiar with, but the ones I don't know so well I struggle with.

Top Bottom