• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Just realized the MG Hyaku-Shiki 2.0 has Ver. Ka style hands, or at least it looks like it. Yes! Could this be a foretelling of the build quality we can expect from this kit? If so, the price makes way more sense.

He's about the same in The OrigIn manga. He's mostly serious in the original. The origin in general has more humor

I would also say he gets some really badass moments later on that gave me a better impression of him overall than I had in the TV show. Stuff like
Successfully pushing the mobile suit program forward and kind of being just a general badass during the battle of Loum.

PhiLonius

The Origin Episode 1: "Blue-Eyed Artesia"

First 7 minutes of this are great but I don't know how I feel about the CG in it. I love the look of everything, how nice it is in motion, and it isn't at all jarring going back and forth the way I thought it would be when it was first shown. However that stylized look sort of pulls a bit of the realistic aspects out of the suits and makes the whole thing look a bit video-gamey. It's not too bothersome to me though.

What was a bit jarring was
Dozle as comic relief
. It just comes across as being out of place. Meanwhile
Kycilia, even with a bad haircut
, and
Hamon
are pretty much badass throughout and steal the show for me, along with Artesia. Good start.

Some of the previews and promo stuff for the Origin showed a bit more than what was in this episode so it gives me hope that we'll actually get Episode 2 before the year is over.

An amazing start to this series.
Being someone who's seen the original series, it's fascinating watching all these old characters before they became the classic people we all know. The Zabi family was especially interesting given the fact we see the beginnings of conflict within them and we know (Original series spoiler)
who kills who in the family
. Char being a badass even as a child is great and Ramba Ral retained the sense of honor he had in the original. The story as a whole is interesting although I assumed we'd see the Federation ousted from the colonies fairly soon after Deikun's death.

All in all, a great start to the origin tale. I anticipate the next episode coming this fall.

Wubby

Some HG AGE kits are back in production. Picked up another Age 2 Normal and Dark Hound kit yesterday. Even though they didn't sell so well in the beginning a number of the Age kits have become really hard to find in the last year. The Age 2 kits sell out the fastest.

The 1/550 HG mechanic kits are also back in production and I could finally pick up all three. Picked up an extra Dendrobium for a custom I've been wanting to make.

Still watching for an HG Gaia kit an would like to get another Zaku F2000.

Gundam Reconguista in G Episode 1

Since its on gundaminfo I can finally watch. Sadly, its episode one was one of the most boring of all the gundams Ive seen. Confused how they were able to have such a strong and memorable start with gAGE, 00, and Seed/Seed Destiny but we get something goofy (cheerleaders really? awkward) and just boring (space pirate :( ). Hoping it takes off.

Since its on gundaminfo I can finally watch. Sadly, its episode one was one of the most boring of all the gundams Ive seen. Confused how they were able to have such a strong and memorable start with gAGE, 00, and Seed/Seed Destiny but we get something goofy (cheerleaders really? awkward) and just boring (space pirate :( ). Hoping it takes off.

Bail out now DttL. It's not nearly full of modern anime crap that you like.

Dugna

The art just made it feel natural because of how Eureka Seven is.

Acid08

Banned

man

PhiLonius

It's all downhill from here.

Acid08

Banned
But Judau, Paptimus and Kamille are pretty boys.

nah, they don't look enough like fucked up human/bird hybrids to be DTL pretty

Kira-Yamato-gundam-seed-destiny-7679759-497-725.jpg

nah, they don't look enough like fucked up human/bird hybrids to be DTL pretty
Yeah he is the guy that likes Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Doujinshi. Whatever Kamille's man enough for me lol. I will never put Kira up there on my list of favorite Gundam protags, I like Athrun better.

Lol at this backlash over G Recco.

But nah episode 1 was fine, it was just all over the place. The pacing was insane, too much info dumping and none of it made sense. Berrli was also hyper competent from the start which made it seem weird. He was pretty much playing the role of Char picking the Gundam apart right from episode 1.

A zaku should not move like the god damn Unicorn lol.

It didn't.

This is how a Zaku moves http://youtu.be/7iIogZju9dw?t=2m26s which is just about a single curve and a straight line.

This is how Unicorn moves http://youtu.be/88Lo-FgLRGo?t=4m35s which is like 4 or 5 greater than 90 degree directional changes in a span of a second. Presumably the pilot is turned into jello in the process.
There was a slight comedic tone which doesn't necessarily fit with the original Gundam.
My good sir, have you seen any anime by a director named Yoshiyuki Tomino? If you haven't, I would like to inform you that he inserts slapstick comedy into all of his works rather often, no matter how dark the tone of the show is.

Gundam Seed Destiny HD Remaster BD Episode 17

They could have put a bit more effort into Meer's dancing as it was just the same weird hand/arm move over and over. Or perhaps Im expecting too much after utapri, shonen hollywood, and Beyond the Boundary dance routines. At least they gave her the hd remaster treatment. And it ended up being kind of funny with Athrun later hearing what the two mechanics were saying.

I like how childish Shinn can be, glaring at Athrun the whole time after the slapping incident, while Athrun just smiles at him and goes. Fortunately it wasnt dragged out and they made up. And Athrun has no harsh feelings or even misgivings for him but shows concerned for his growth. Really good episode.

Gundam Seed Destiny HD Remaster BD Episode 17

They could have put a bit more effort into Meer's dancing as it was just the same weird hand/arm move over and over. Or perhaps Im expecting too much after utapri, shonen hollywood, and Beyond the Boundary dance routines. At least they gave her the hd remaster treatment. And it ended up being kind of funny with Athrun later hearing what the two mechanics were saying.

I like how childish Shinn can be, glaring at Athrun the whole time after the slapping incident, while Athrun just smiles at him and goes. Fortunately it wasnt dragged out and they made up. And Athrun has no harsh feelings or even misgivings for him but shows concerned for his growth. Really good episode.
Giving Meer numerous dance animations would've ate into their bread crumbs like budget. Athrun was a bro to Shinn for most of that series. I really don't think Athrun hates Shinn,
though later on in the show Shinn does some stupid as fuck shit.

RangerBAD

It didn't.

This is how a Zaku moves http://youtu.be/7iIogZju9dw?t=2m26s which is just about a single curve and a straight line.

This is how Unicorn moves http://youtu.be/88Lo-FgLRGo?t=4m35s which is like 4 or 5 greater than 90 degree directional changes in a span of a second. Presumably the pilot is turned into jello in the process.

My good sir, have you seen any anime by a director named Yoshiyuki Tomino? If you haven't, I would like to inform you that he inserts slapstick comedy into all of his works rather often, no matter how dark the tone of the show is.

He never had much comedy in any of the early Gundams. There were goofy characters sure, but I don't remember much in the original Gundam.

The general mockery of Kai and his cowardice as well.

Or even stuff like this
tumblr_li2eaihai81qbv5izo1_400.gif

There is stupid comedy bullshit in everything tomino made.Hist most grimdark gritty dark grim grim stuff has nonsensical comical bits in it. I don't think there is a single tomino thing you can point to and say "Comedy is out of place here"

The general mockery of Kai and his cowardice as well.

Or even stuff like this
tumblr_li2eaihai81qbv5izo1_400.gif

There is stupid comedy bullshit in everything tomino made.Hist most grimdark gritty dark grim grim stuff has nonsensical comical bits in it. I don't think there is a single tomino thing you can point to and say "Comedy is out of place here"
Am I the only person that finds the main character getting the shit smacked out of him funny as well? So far Turn A seems like the least funny one actually.

There's actually just as much if not more comedy in the non Tomino Gundam shows.
I thought the two Seed shows were the funniest of the alternate universes, whether it was intentional or not. Wing might've had it's moments. 00 mostly from that stilted bromance between Saji and Setsuna
and bad plotting

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I thought the two Seed shows were the funniest of the alternate universes, whether it was intentional or not. Wing might've had it's moments. 00 mostly from that stilted bromance between Saji and Setsuna
and bad plotting

G Gundam is also a laugh riot at times but I'd agree that SEED/DESTINY might be the funniest of them all. Especially when Athrun is involved.

G Gundam is also a laugh riot at times but I'd agree that SEED/DESTINY might be the funniest of them all. Especially when Athrun is involved.
I have no idea why I keep forgetting about G, I've watched it at least 4 times, but I probably just don't count it as a Gundam show because it's damn near hot blooded shonen with Gundams in it, damn fun though. Athrun is hilarious because he's a one man walking harem anime. I will always prefer Athrun to Kira, relied on his god mode a lot less too.

Jomjom

Banned
Damn Yasuhiko is on point with his UC work. With Unicorn and now Origin, I hope he's been appointed the successor to Tomino for UC gundam.

Yasuhiko-san please give us Hathaway's Flash or Beltorchika's Children after Origin ends!

EDIT: Oh wow I didn't even know he was the character designer on the original Gundam.

Damn Yasuhiko is on point with his UC work. With Unicorn and now Origin, I hope he's been appointed the successor to Tomino for UC gundam.

Yasuhiko-san please give us Hathaway's Flash or Beltorchika's Children after Origin ends!

EDIT: Oh wow I didn't even know he was the character designer on the original Gundam.

My vote goes to Beltorchika's Children first so that way we can forget that CCA ever happened except for the superior Sazabi and Nu Gundam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom