• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acid08

Banned
16468_10205711087397325_3362289322771623515_n.jpg

Never noticed this before but some Gundams made cameos in G. I spot 4 in that shot.

That's actually the only one I like thanks for the reminder. I just don't like the second one I'm just not too keen on the vocals on that one. 3 out of 4 openings isn't bad then.
I can see the fourth's opening being grating with the vocals. I still like it but I can understand, lol.

Gundam Seed through Gundam 00 was a knockout run of amazing OPs, I felt. I haven't really felt that good since 00, though.

I can see the fourth's opening being grating with the vocals. I still like it but I can understand, lol.

Gundam Seed through Gundam 00 was a knockout run of amazing OPs, I felt. I haven't really felt that good since 00, though.
I can admit to being a bit retro with some of my OP picks. I really do have a soft spot for some of the older ones. Out of the Seed/Destiny OP's I like this one the most:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e9pkSVDUrw

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

Yup from SEED to OO and Build FIghters we've gotten some amazing OPs and EDs.

My favourite is still OO OP2, Ash Like Snow, not only because the song is great, but it's one of the first times where the OP was almost fully animated original scenes, rather than panning stills and recycled animation that plagued the SEED era. It does a solid job of portraying the show like a Game of Thrones like global conflict with many actors.

Jomjom

Banned
Don't know if anyone knows for sure, but with that deal to release all of Gundam on Blu-ray that Rightstuf has, will they re-release Gundam Unicorn or was the previous Blu-ray release the start of that deal? I didn't buy them when they were in stock and now it looks like the only volumes still available are vol. 1 and 2.

Ken

Ordered a MG Full cloth. Had been eyeing it for awhile but seeing it animated pushed me to get one. Thanks gbf.

NEO0MJ

Beats me. It's a pretty old kit so that's not too surprising, and I doubt we'll see a Full Cloth 2.0 ever.

Probably, but I won't give up hope. I'm sure if I wait long enough I'll eventually get a 2.0 of the GP02, Master Gundam, and Full Cloth. I mean, good things come to those who wait, right?

Wubby

The HG Hi-Mock that came out a few months ago is a fun kit. One cool thing Bandai gave this kit is adapters that let you use 1/100 scale hands with the kit. The box/instructions only list the 1/100 Exia and Aile Strike as compatible parts but I discovered (thanks to having them in the stash) that the 1/100 Builders Parts: Hand #02 (Zeon) also plug directly into the 1/100 hand adapters that came with the kit.

Just for lol's here's a pic of the Hi-Mock with the 1/100 hands and holding a Beam Bazooka from a MG Rick Dom kit. HG wing thrown in for size comparison.

jxYh7MQodc11V.jpg

I swear it still looks more massive in person than it does in the picture...

Idk I'm a sucker for it but I love Just Communication.

Well to be specific I love the sharp beats open the OP. So gooooooooooood.

Dreams is a good one too.

Those are still my favorite. Wing is also still my favorite Gundam show. I know it's not the best but it's special to me.
Probably one of my favorite of the AU's, definitely my gateway Gundam show. I'll always say Zeta, Victory and probably soon to be Turn A for story reasons as my favorite, but Wing holds that special place in my nostalgic heart, bad ass soundtrack too.

First Gundam is still my favorite, followed by 0080 and Turn A.

First Gundam just nailed everything that I've come to love about the franchise. Sure later shows elaborated on those things, but for me the characters, scenario, music and mecha are just too iconic and cannot be beaten.

First Gundam is still my favorite, followed by 0080 and Turn A.

First Gundam just nailed everything that I've come to love about the franchise. Sure later shows elaborated on those things, but for me the characters, scenario, music and mecha are just too iconic and cannot be beaten.
The original had some of the better villains still which is kind of funny. No one is more iconic than Char and the Zabi family. Only ones as good are probably the Titans. Bask, Jamitov and Jamaican are so fucking evil. The disco era soundtrack definitely is pretty catchy. I love the trumpet blaring while an attack is going on. OG Gundam hits all the tropes because it invented them.
100% agree. Awesome grunt suits, probably the strongest ever.
Yeah in the right hands or with enough numbers the Wing grunt suits can do a lot of harm to the Gundams. The Serpent suits in Endless Waltz were damn powerful.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Which is an amazing feat as the basic tenant of Wing is that their Gundams are made of a metal that's practically indestructible to most mobile suit weapons at the time. Taurus with beam rifles and the eventual Gundanium Virgo units though are quite the mass produced suits.

Which is an amazing feat as the basic tenant of Wing is that their Gundams are made of a metal that's practically indestructible to most mobile suit weapons at the time. Taurus with beam rifles and the eventual Gundanium Virgo units though are quite the mass produced suits.
When the Taurus' are first introduced in space they're no joke because of their maneuverability and laser based weapons. The Virgo's are seriously no joke as well when first introduced because they're pretty much a combo of the mercurius and Vayete. Oz really didn't fuck around with their suit designs, even the Aries could be deadly with the right pilot, using I think Mueller in that one episode towards the middle. I guess since they didn't fuck around with Mobile Armor they pretty much concentrated on proper suit design.
Windmill Gundam might be my favorite Gundam.
Tequila Gundam son!! Or Zebra Gundam...some of G is just laughable.

When the Taurus' are first introduced in space they're no joke because of their maneuverability and laser based weapons. The Virgo's are seriously no joke as well when first introduced because they're pretty much a combo of the mercurius and Vayete. Oz really didn't fuck around with their suit designs, even the Aries could be deadly with the right pilot, using I think Mueller in that one episode towards the middle. I guess since they didn't fuck around with Mobile Armor they pretty much concentrated on proper suit design.

Tequila Gundam son!!

Also considering Zechs takes on the Wing Gundam with a freaking Leo says something.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Wing, if you ever really think about it, is the entire UC from MSG to Char's Counterattack, remixed. Impressive in 52 episodes.

Wing, if you ever really think about it, is the entire UC from MSG to Char's Counterattack, remixed. Impressive in 52 episodes.
Yeah just with more Gundams in it. I don't understand why that gets so much hate. It's still watchable with or without the nostalgia goggles, fun enough suits. It's not littered in death like most of UC Gundam...Relena's a fucking lunatic though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Wing has more Gundams and less Newtypes. Much less named character death.

Relena is crazy enough to be a main character in Turn A. They had to introduce Dorothy to make her look sane by comparison.

PhiLonius

Relena == Marina

Take either from their respective show and their absence would go mostly unnoticed.

Dorothy's eyebrows steal the show though.

Yeah just with more Gundams in it. I don't understand why that gets so much hate. It's still watchable with or without the nostalgia goggles, fun enough suits. It's not littered in death like most of UC Gundam...Relena's a fucking lunatic though.

It's littered with death but it's all the jobbers that die. Plus it has one of the best woman in Gundam.

She loved Zechs but was a competent pilot and leader in her own right.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Both Noin and What's Her Name with the glasses (Lady Un!) are strong women...who then predictably break down in the end. Relena is strong because she's crazy. Dorothy is strong because of insanity and eyebrows.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
And Sally Po don't need no man to be strong.

Sally Po just does her job. She realizes her limits but still risks her neck without a love interest. Her only moment of being a Gundam women is the random speeches about how those boys are the only ones who can do anything, but that just proves she is plot savvy.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Because of how inconsistent Gundam has been it's generally regarded it the upper middle of the series, unless you're a UC purist who wouldn't care about it anyways.

As a forum with a ton of twenty/thirty something American nerds posting in it, Gundam Wing also holds a special place of nostalgia around here. Which was hurt of course by hipster Gundam posters for years but who cares?

Gundam Wing oozes style. Is generally fun to watch. Takes itself seriously but doesn't go super crazy trying to hammer home its message. The action is good. The music is great. The characters are memorable. The dub is...something else entirely.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I love the Gundam Wing dub. The main characters are great. The one off characters are also great...for entirely different reasons.

Because of how inconsistent Gundam has been it's generally regarded it the upper middle of the series, unless you're a UC purist who wouldn't care about it anyways.

As a forum with a ton of twenty/thirty something American nerds posting in it, Gundam Wing also holds a special place of nostalgia around here. Which was hurt of course by hipster Gundam posters for years but who cares?

Gundam Wing oozes style. Is generally fun to watch. Takes itself seriously but doesn't go super crazy trying to hammer home its message. The action is good. The music is great. The characters are memorable. The dub is...something else entirely.
Lol I love both UC and AU shows as long as they're good. Sometimes I swear I'm one of the few that likes both. Kou Otani's soundtrack is just oozing with style. Funny thing about the cast is that they just keep popping up in other things. I think half the Wing cast is in Xmen Evolution, Transformers Beast Wars and The Vision of Escaflowne.
How Lady Une head shotted this guy from a moving plane probably going near sonic speeds while he was falling is just fucking hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom