• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official MADWORLD Thread of No Means Yes and Yes Means A--wesome!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
KennyLinder said:
Prog scan isn't the issue for me, its the shitty 50hz display that shits on the party. That IS unacceptable.
I agree, 60Hz support for PAL games should be mandatory.

Xav

Just got the game a few hours ago and I'm enjoying it so far but someone at Sega or Platinum Games totally fucked up the PAL conversion.

2lig1gl.png

Now when I play my games at 16:9 there is some small boarders on the top and bottom since this TV is a 16:10 but I don't mind since I want a full picture. When I select the wide option it zooms in slightly and cuts out a little off the sides but fills the whole screen nicely. This is MadWorld running on wide, normally all my widescreen games would fill the whole screen by this point but not MadWorld meaning it's got to be 50Hz with boarders.
I noticed something was strange right away when the black boards looked much bigger than normal, well done Sega or Platinum games, you fucked one of the Wii games I was most looking forward to.

[Nintex]

Has anyone tried the 480i/60hz setting in the Wii Menu? Maybe the 480p doesn't work so it goes back to 576i/50hz instead of 480i/60hz. Another game had the same problem, I don't have time to test this right now but some of you guys might give it a shot.

Xav

[Nintex] said:
Has anyone tried the 480i/60hz setting in the Wii Menu? Maybe the 480p doesn't work so it goes back to 576i/50hz instead of 480i/60hz. Another game had the same problem, I don't have time to test this right now but some of you guys might give it a shot.
I tried it just now and no luck, those boarders stay there regardless. I can live with 480i no problem but screwing up a PAL port in 2009 in unacceptable.

ShadiWulf

Xav said:
Just got the game a few hours ago and I'm enjoying it so far but someone at Sega or Platinum Games totally fucked up the PAL conversion.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2lig1gl.png

Now when I play my games at 16:9 there is some small boarders on the top and bottom since this TV is a 16:10 but I don't mind since I want a full picture. When I select the wide option it zooms in slightly and cuts out a little off the sides but fills the whole screen nicely. This is MadWorld running on wide, normally all my widescreen games would fill the whole screen by this point but not MadWorld meaning it's got to be 50Hz with boarders.

I live in the US, that's how the game runs on my TV, didn't seem to affect anything. I just assume that's how the game is. I have it set to wide, except I don't think it zooms in, I think it just cuts off the sides a little. Maybe its something to do with not fully supporting 480p? I dunno, looks fine either way.

ShadiWulf said:
I live in the US, that's how the game runs on my TV, didn't seem to affect anything. I just assume that's how the game is. I have it set to wide, except I don't think it zooms in, I think it just cuts off the sides a little. Maybe its something to do with not fully supporting 480p? I dunno, looks fine either way.

Not me, I'm in the US too. I have a 16:9 TV and I get no black bars at all, the game reaches all corners of the screen. I'm using component cables, 480p mode, and widescreen wii settings.

The black bars wouldn't bother me, but what is this 50hz vs 60hz that everyone mentioned? What differences does that cause visually?

ShadiWulf

Gryphter said:
Not me, I'm in the US too. I have a 16:9 TV and I get no black bars at all, the game reaches all corners of the screen. I'm using component cables, 480p mode, and widescreen wii settings.

The black bars wouldn't bother me, but what is this 50hz vs 60hz that everyone mentioned? What differences does that cause visually?

Odd.... none of my other Wii games do it. =P I won't worry about it though, not that big of a deal.

Oxx

[Nintex] said:

Just goes straight into 576i as soon as you start the game.

markatisu

KennyLinder said:
:D True, but I *don't think* Wii works like that.

It does, dark10x explained that out a few pages back

480i was most likely choosen to keep the game from having framerate issues though Platinum Games has never confirmed nor denied

And honest to god since its been out there has not been one person who really noticed the difference (the only two who have in this thread were ones who cannot run 480i games because their monitors dont work that way)

That sucks though about the 50hz thing though

Rolf NB

kinggroin said:
at least it's a higher res than we have it in the US....

:p
It's most likely upscaled from a 640x448 buffer, then scaled again by the TV. In other words you wouldn't really want this kind of higher resolution if you had the choice.

Easy_D said:
Well us Europeans obviously still use TV sets that only support 50hz!
Our 10-year-old+ old TV even supports NTSC 60Hz mode,there's no reason at all for any game to be forced 50Hz in this day and age.

About the 480i deal, didn't people speculate it runs in 480i as to make it run smooth or something? Or can the Wii do 480p with no loss whatsoever performance-wise?

I really can't believe it. 50Hz in this day and age. Fucking unacceptable!!!

jts

...hate me...
That thing is fucking me up. First Wii game that I pre-order in ages and it turns out to be fucked up like that? Shit son, is it 1994 again?

I hope it gets in the mail today anyway, still anxious to try it out.

Does anyone know by now what happens to the HB channel after the update?

pakkit

Banned
SEGA just probably forced them to cut corners at the end of the developmental cycle, thus 480i and 50Hz. It's crazy that the IGN UK review or Eurogamer review wouldn't mention this.

HBC is fine even after installing the update (or so I've read).

Combing through various forums, the update on the disk is supposed to patch the Trucha bug on the Wii, which is definitely is used to hack Wii's, so I'm not sure how affects future homebrew. I read that some guy is still on firmware 3.4 though, even after he updated it via Madworld.

[Nintex]

pakkit said:
SEGA just probably forced them to cut corners at the end of the developmental cycle, thus 480i and 50Hz. It's crazy that the IGN UK review or Eurogamer review wouldn't mention this.
Not to mention that Platinum Games has a limited budget to work with. We simply can't compare them to the Clover/Capcom of old, unless someone hands them a bag of money. I guess the EA/Mikami project will be their biggest game.

herod

Anyone tried this with a Scart cable instead? Wii component is fine as long as you're doing 480p, but it falls apart after that.

pakkit

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Not to mention that Platinum Games has a limited budget to work with. We simply can't compare them to the Clover/Capcom of old, unless someone hands them a bag of money. I guess the EA/Mikami project will be their biggest game.
SEGA wasn't just sitting on this project, Nintex. A sideways glance at madworldtv.com, the writers they hired, the voice actors they hired, the announcers they hired, and the marketing push at Gamespot and on TV they gave to this game shows that it wasn't another SEGA Bass Fishing or some other quick and dirty port. It doesn't really cost a lot of money to implement 480p or 60Hz. I mean, some shovelware games even support these things. They've become standards, and I have no idea why PG dropped the ball here, unless they simply ran out of time.

markatisu

wackojackosnose said:
HBC is fine even after installing the update (or so I've read).

Combing through various forums, the update on the disk is supposed to patch the Trucha bug on the Wii, which is definitely is used to hack Wii's, so I'm not sure how affects future homebrew. I read that some guy is still on firmware 3.4 though, even after he updated it via Madworld.

The update in MadWorld only updates the Wii to use the IOS needed by the game

It is not a full firmware update intended on killing the HBC (that we know of anyway)

Has anyone played both PAL and US to see if there are speed differences? It shouldn't be a problem for the gameplay at least.

And, the borders. Some people are saying they are present in the US version?

markatisu

KennyLinder said:

The borders are not present on my 42" HD unit...at least I dont remember them. I know when I am playing the game the image fills the screen

[Nintex] said:

That's sad cos it also means I'm not going to preorder anymore games from Sega for the Wii unless I have assurances that it runs in 60hz. I'd have cancelled my order if Amazon didn't already get it out to me (dispatched yesterday and arrived today via free delivery - unbelievable!) How many years have we been getting fully optimised games in PAL land only for them to pull this 50hz bullshit out of the blue?

markatisu said:
The update in MadWorld only updates the Wii to use the IOS needed by the game

It is not a full firmware update intended on killing the HBC (that we know of anyway)

Thanks, good to know.

KennyLinder said:
Has anyone played both PAL and US to see if there are speed differences? It shouldn't be a problem for the gameplay at least.

Can you compare what you've played to the videos online? To see if the gameplay and music speeds are the same in both versions? I keep remembering the Sonic PAL vs NTSC test where the music in the PAL version seemed to also run in slow motion.

kinggroin

Banned
bcn-ron said:
It's most likely upscaled from a 640x448 buffer, then scaled again by the TV. In other words you wouldn't really want this kind of higher resolution if you had the choice.

If that's the case then yeah, that sucks ass.

I know whenever I played xbox games in the pal res, they were noticeably sharper than the ntsc counterparts (on my 50hz compatible JVC crt). Just had to deal with insanely low refresh (headaches).

Figured the Wii worked the same way.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Gryphter said:
holy shit dude, when do you sleep? :lol you posted a EU pic of the game, right? what the hell time is it over there?
5PM GMT.

My copy still hasn't arrived. :(

jts

...hate me...
5:20PM here, nothing in the mailbox except letters. Fuck this shit, I have no luck with pre-orders. I was expecting Chinatown Wars too.

Whatever. Cya next Monday.

ah, that's not so bad, I got 1:30pm here. For some reason I thought we were on opposite day and night cycles, but now I realize that I am an idiot :D

soooo, back to the game. I was on a roll last night and didn't die at all (on hard). I made it through all of The Castle and the first part of the area after (keeping it vague for spoilers sake). Tonight I'll be playing the elevator and the final boss, wish me luck!

P.S. I'll report on if I unlock anything extra.

I realize there's 2 situations. Beating it on Hard using a new file, and beating it on hard using a file that you've beaten the game with already. You don't get the unlockable weapons when you use a new file, so I don't know if that'll affect what/if I get anything this time around. Depending on how brutal the final boss is on hard, I'll try to beat it using both files to see if there's any difference.

Hitmeneer

:(

MediaMarkt didn't have a copy of MadWorld in yet and all the other stores were closed, so no MadWorld for me today :( . Again I can go to the city on Saturdays to look for a copy, two weeks ago I had the exact same thing with Empire: Total War.

So I broke down and opened my copy.

Seems fun but I can't see jack shit because about half the screen is missing due to a crappy PAL conversion. I think the game screen to border ration is worse than the old 16 bit Street Fighter 2 PAL shit we used to get. :/

meppi

Hitmeneer said:
:(

MediaMarkt didn't have a copy of MadWorld in yet and all the other stores were closed, so no MadWorld for me today :( . Again I can go to the city on Saturdays to look for a copy, two weeks ago I had the exact same thing with Empire: Total War.

Sadly MediaMarkt isn't so good with getting games on release day.
Sometimes they get them, but lots of times they don't. At least over here in Belgium.

For some reason BlahDVD shipped the game a couple of days early and 2 of the 3 copies I ordered popped up today. :)

50Hz does suck though, but once you're playing the game it doesn't really matter that much to me. I'll just pretend it gives the game an even more cinematic feel. ;P
Incredible game btw, played it for 2.5 hours straight before I had to go off to work and nearly got there too late, but it was so worth it.
If I knew it was gonna be this good, I would have taken the day off. :)

D-X

50 Hrz? Didn't the Dreamcast put an end to that?

That takes the edge off my preorder that I'm going to pick up tom...well at least I'll get a t-shirt.

Top Bottom