• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official MADWORLD Thread of No Means Yes and Yes Means A--wesome!

Dascu

Oxx said:
The golf DeathWatch Challenge is the only one that I've had much success at so far.
IMO, hardest BloodBath Challenge is the Moneyshot. It's hilarious when you get a guy impaled on all three spikes though.

Foob

markatisu said:
Take the battery cover off your wiimote and you will see a red button, open your your Wii's SD card slot and you will see a red button. Push the Wii's red button and then the controllers red button and they should reconnect and establish a new signal

So when the game starts and you begin the tutorial are you uppercutting automatically?

Well, that didn't work :(

Pretty much, as soon as the game starts he just goes uppercut crazy

Tron 2.0

So I beat the game last night and, to be honest, I did not like it very much.

NOTICE: I am not saying that the game is awful or that people that like it are wrong or stupid. I'm just saying it didn't work for me.

The controls pretty much killed it for me. Most of the motion controls were surprisingly responsive, but the limited buttons on the controller really hurt this game for me. 'A' to both pick up guys/objects and punch seemed hit or miss all the way through.

Probably my biggest concern is that combat options are fairly limited. The ways to kill people are pretty endless, but since everything is mapped to either 'A' or 'B' it felt like I was doing the same thing over and over and over again.

The camera is categorically awful and having 'lock-on' be mapped to the same button did nothing to alleviate the problems.

The levels are well designed, but surprisingly small. I think this was the only area that the limited hardware capabilities of the Wii compared to the 360 or PS3 hurt the game.

The presentation was nice and the game looks/runs great.

Overall, I'm not disappointed that I bought it since I wanted to experience the game. It just didn't turn out like I had hoped.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So, in other news, I ordered the NTSC version for the superior no black bars 60Hz full 30 FPS experience. Now there's nothing to do but to wait.. and get an SD card, at least I'll be able to play NMH when I get a new SD Card :)

Scrubking

The levels are well designed, but surprisingly small. I think this was the only area that the limited hardware capabilities of the Wii compared to the 360 or PS3 hurt the game.

The level design had nothing to do with the Wii's capabilities. I don't even know how anyone can come to such a conclusion.

Tron 2.0 said:
So the levels are small because of design choice? I'm not sure that's necessarily better.

The interviews mentioned that they wanted to give the impression of a world, but to take away the meandering that often is associated with large areas. Instead they wanted to make smaller spaces that were loaded with a lot of content and interaction.

I don't think that's a poor design choice, especially in a brawler type of game. This game isn't about traveling, it's about killing guys in interesting ways.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Tron 2.0 said:

Before you start making conclusions about what the Wii is or isn't capable of doing, just remember that the PS2 pulled off an area as massive as San Andreas. Everquest is massive and computers that are a over decade old can render it. The only thing that actually limits how big a level or area in a game can be is storage capacity, and the Wii's DVDs are more than equipped to handle the task. The only thing a faster CPU/GPU would have done in terms of level size is draw distance.

Tron 2.0 said:
Interesting. I hadn't read that.

Regardless, it was just a design choice I don't agree with.

Personally, I think it was a combination of the above stated reason and the fact that the MadWorld team just wasn't all that big and probably had to prioritize their efforts. I think we saw with No More Heroes how bigger areas and levels can often be seriously lacking when compared to smaller, more well-designed spaces.

Dragmire

For me, the level design was reminiscent of Jet Grind Radio. They both give you a level that's sort of like an arena or something in the sense of being non-linear and open. And within the level, you have some sort of arcadey gameplay where you accomplish your objectives. I know it's a weird comparison, but for some reason Madworld reminds me of that game. In a very, very good way, of course.

Got a question about throwing enemies. I"m in the first level with
zombies and the first death watch is to throw them into 6 spikes in the fountain. I can't get a zombie on the elevated spike. It keeps under or overthrowing them

So how do i target where I want the enemy to go on the throw when it comes to an elevated position? I either under or overthrow them. Tips?

Chozo

Honestly, I think the levels are big enough in the context of the game: you're kept busy enough that the levels would be unwieldly if they were too large. As they are, I've found they keep a good balance between exploration and providing enough tools/environmental kills to keep things interesting.

obijkenobi said:
Got a question about throwing enemies. I"m in the first level with
zombies and the first death watch is to throw them into 6 spikes in the fountain. I can't get a zombie on the elevated spike. It keeps under or overthrowing them

So how do i target where I want the enemy to go on the throw when it comes to an elevated position? I either under or overthrow them. Tips?

What I've found works best is to fill up all the other spikes surrounding the central one. Then you can chuck a zombie and the game will generally have it land on the central spike as long as you're reasonably on target (I stand right near the edge of the fountain if that helps). Failing that, just keep chucking zombies: it's easiest to get the challenge done first thing on the level because you have a large supply of zombies within a short distance of the fountain, so you get a lot of opportunities to throw.

Oxx

The more I think about it, the more I'm sure that MadWorld is running on the WWF No Mercy engine.

The N64-esque PAL conversion...
The a-button grapple system...
The picking-up items animation...

It's all there!

jrricky said:
What exactly is this supposed to show me?

I think the guy was asking for the differences between poorly optimised PAL games and their NTSC counterparts. Skip to about ~49 seconds and you'll see why Sonic isn't so fast (and also a lot fatter) in PAL land.

Feindflug

Xav said:
Just got the game a few hours ago and I'm enjoying it so far but someone at Sega or Platinum Games totally fucked up the PAL conversion.

2lig1gl.png

Now when I play my games at 16:9 there is some small boarders on the top and bottom since this TV is a 16:10 but I don't mind since I want a full picture. When I select the wide option it zooms in slightly and cuts out a little off the sides but fills the whole screen nicely. This is MadWorld running on wide, normally all my widescreen games would fill the whole screen by this point but not MadWorld meaning it's got to be 50Hz with boarders.
I noticed something was strange right away when the black boards looked much bigger than normal, well done Sega or Platinum games, you fucked one of the Wii games I was most looking forward to.

That's some shitty PAL conversion a la DMC and there's no way I'm paying 50-60e for a fucked-up version of the game...is there anyway to play the US version on my PAL system? I have Freeloader but haven't tried it since I beat NMH...

-PXG- said:
It's true.

If his girl is dragging him to bed to sleep, instead of playing games (or better yet, fucking), then he's a pussy whipped bitch.

Sorry bro.
well she said she didnt mind so we stayed up to play it unfortunately we've lost the wii remote and couldnt find it, so eventually after turning over the living room looking for it with no luck we went to bed, unfortunately then she passed out too drunk so i didnt get a fuck either

zoukka

Yay thanks Capcom (whoever) for the crappy transfer! You're not getting my money.

It's pretty unbelievable that a game like this gets shot in the leg. Why?

EDIT: It's fucking NMH all over again. Right now I hate my Wii :mad:

Dascu

Sadist said:
I arrived at the castle with the zombies and the Shamans. How scared should I be?
For the castle levels, remember three things:
- Vertical slashes on the Zombies
- The Scissor enemies drop health pills when you beat them.
- You can cut down the trees in the first level to use as a giant powerful club, against both the normal enemies as the boss (and his minions).

Fusebox said:
Yes, but it involves soft-modding the Wii, making an ISO from your NTSC import and then reburning it.
Or an SD card and 10 minutes of your time.

FUCK! I just lost to the final boss on hard. Getting up the elevator in one piece took me a few tries, but is manageable. I kept losing the power struggles to the final boss due to nunchuk prompts, I supposedly missed it everytime! There wasn't an issue with my exact same motions with the wiimote, though. I had him at half life too, I would have had him if I didn't lose the power struggle THREE TIMES IN A ROW!!! Damn you nunchuk prompts!

I have something else to do too, so I can't jump right back in for a quick rematch either, dammit!

I take back my previous statement, in the US version I have very slight black bars on the left and right, they're about 1/2 an inch each and definitely not noticeable unless you're looking for them

kinggroin

Banned
...wow...

Just finished the asian themed sections. The fight against Rin-Rin, The Kabuki dude and sumo (especially loved the motion control on the last one) shot this game to the upper stratosphere of videogame bliss. So pure, so old school, so much bloody fun.

Feels like No More Heroes 2 is already here :D

Also, can't wait to see how the story unfolds by the end. Things are getting very interesting
ZOMBIES! I LOVE ZOMBIES!

markatisu

Gryphter said:
I take back my previous statement, in the US version I have very slight black bars on the left and right, they're about 1/2 an inch each and definitely not noticeable unless you're looking for them

Thats just the normal widescreen effect of Wii games (see RE4 Wii and Zelda TWP). Since the Wii does not do completely true 16:9

It has nothing at all to do with what PAL owners are complaining about

-PXG-

frankie_baby said:
well she said she didnt mind so we stayed up to play it unfortunately we've lost the wii remote and couldnt find it, so eventually after turning over the living room looking for it with no luck we went to bed, unfortunately then she passed out too drunk so i didnt get a fuck either

So you didn't get ANYTHING? Damn.

UUAAAGH! I finally made it up the elevator again. Paused it right before the final boss battle on hard because I am sweating like crazy! attempt #2

edit: oh guess what? lost to the nunchuk prompt again! it was down to 1 hit left on each of us and the power struggle activated. of course I lost to the nunchuk motion, AGAIN

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Oh shit I completely missed that this got released!!!! Must get it now, i'll be back to get in on the gaffing action!

Touchdown

Banned
I love this game so far. I love spearing a buch of baddies then flinging them onto the fryer. I really hope this charts in the next npd day!!! Top 10 would be awesome, top 20..I'll still be glad.

Mkliner

Touchdown said:
I love this game so far. I love spearing a buch of baddies then flinging them onto the fryer. I really hope this charts in the next npd day!!! Top 10 would be awesome, top 20..I'll still be glad.

The fryer is the greatest thing ever

yoopoo

Banned
Why does this game freezing, froze up three times. I was doing so good in the last level...now gotta go through it all over again.

Top Bottom