• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Muramasa: The Demon Blade Thread of Japanese-tastic 2D Tentacle Action!

Giolon

scitek said:
I just put my review of the game up. Please rate and comment if you have time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKDz3NQNBhE

I thought that was pretty good. The aside talking about Odin Sphere seemed to be a little longer than necessary, and I wasn't really sure what your problem with the bosses were (the description you gave made it sound just about like any boss fights ever, plus I've really been enjoying the Muramasa bosses). The video clips off at the end a little too abruptly too.

All in all, I thought it was a decently humorous but thorough review. It's better done that Gamespot's video reviews have been since the G-meister left, but I wouldn't give up GiantBomb or GT V Reviews for yours. Still, I'd watch more of 'em. :)

So this game is even more amazing now.

So I finally went to H
ell
and it's really great. I love how
the dead
are walking everywhere in the background. I also love the music there, especially when fighting. The enemies there are also great, with large demons that take tons of time to defeat, and are pretty difficult.

I was extremely and pleasantly surprised with the boss, when, in a Yoshi's Island twist,
I had to be eaten and fight in his stomach
. At this point I turned the game off because it was all too great and I was too tired to appreciate it all.

So yeah. That right there is my favorite area in the game by far. Everything, from the music, graphics, enemies, and boss, I feel are top notch there.

I didn't like the castle as much as everyone else did, though.

As for the X-Play review, I don't agree with their review, but I can easily see why someone would give it 3/5. At first, I wasn't feeling the game too much, but that quickly changed around the snow area.

dark_preacher said:
options - graphics settings - internal resolution - aspect ration 16:9 - full screen.

running at 1920 x 1200 and this game is just beautiful.

Thanks, needed to turn off Native Resoultion (I feel stupid now), still having slowdowns in some parts.

Azure J

So, after playing a bit of this game over the past few days, I must say that this is easily one of my favorite games of 2009. The graphics and art are sublime, the music caught me off guard with how fucking good it was, and the gameplay is fast as hell. The only complaint I could come up with would be for Vanillaware to have used more of these gorgeous locales and backdrops for more varied and interesting platforming (along the lines of the Megaman Zero series would work wonders) but as i stands now, this is easily a solid effort. I think a mid to high 80s would be a perfect score if I had to rate it currently.

scitek

Giolon said:
I thought that was pretty good. The aside talking about Odin Sphere seemed to be a little longer than necessary, and I wasn't really sure what your problem with the bosses were (the description you gave made it sound just about like any boss fights ever, plus I've really been enjoying the Muramasa bosses). The video clips off at the end a little too abruptly too.

All in all, I thought it was a decently humorous but thorough review. It's better done that Gamespot's video reviews have been since the G-meister left, but I wouldn't give up GiantBomb or GT V Reviews for yours. Still, I'd watch more of 'em. :)

Thanks! I'm not looking to replace anyone's bookmarks, for sure. I actually think you should always check multiple reviews before purchasing a game, but I try to review games like I'd prefer to see them reviewed. I have no scoring system, so you have to actually pay attention to what I say about it, and I have a habit of putting as much effort into the review as I feel the game deserves. Sort of a "you treat me fairly, I'll do the same for you" thought process.

Got the game today!

The game wasn't available at Best Buy, and on GameStop, the game wasn't even on the shelf, I had to go to the counter and ask the cashier if it was available.

Haven't tried the game yet, as I am currently playing ToS: DOTNW and enjoying it quite much.

magicalsoundshower said:
Stupid question: how come that the game looks better at higher resolutions? I thought it was completely 2D or does it use polygons and textures for layering techniques?

It's vector graphics and not pixel art. Vector graphics can easily be scaled while pixels can't. Think of it like the pictures on your dock or folders. It doesn't matter if you make them bigger they'll still look the same or even better.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Is it just me, or are the slow/strong swords pretty much useless?

You're practically wide open for attacks while using it. You can't really lock down your enemies as well.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
ZealousD said:
Is it just me, or are the slow/strong swords pretty much useless?

You're practically wide open for attacks while using it. You can't really lock down your enemies as well.

I don't find them useless in the least. I never find myself wide open with them. You always block behind you during swings. The only time I find myself wide open is when I'm switching swords without a quick attack possible.

Playing this with the Classic Controller Pro feels great.

Also, as an aside, fuck those flying kite ninjas. Everytime they're about to die, they just throw three bombs in my face, breaking my sword and nearly killing me. There's not much I can do about it because I can't ever see them throw it, I just see the explosion animation.

The bombs in general are really, really annoying.

Volcynika

I can't beat the second boss of Momohime's story, I always get screwed up when it does that special skill and it just decimates my HP. D:

Giolon

Teknoman said:
Nunchuck+Wiimote works fine.
I've used it the whole time. No issues here. I just love having my hands relatively free to put wherever I want.

Volcynika said:
I can't beat the second boss of Momohime's story, I always get screwed up when it does that special skill and it just decimates my HP. D:
Is that
the firewheel?

mattp

i think i'm gonna get a classic controller
i've been playing with the GC pad for now. i just can't play this game with an analog stick. i'm fine for running and platforming, but the fighting is too imprecise with a stick. i can't go from pressing down -> up fast enough. im so much better with the dpad
oh well
just sucks the gamecube dpad is so god damn small

Giolon

Volcynika said:

That guy was annoying, and probably a boss I died to more than most others. My suggestions:

Equip the anti-fire dress that you should have found just prior to that boss fight. Use slide attacks to clear fire from the ground (but beware you can't clear the fire spouts). When he starts to throw fire all around in all directions, back off a bit and chop all those suckers out of the air with a short blade. Use quickdraw mercilessly. Don't get hit by his dash.

I don't remember any other attacks out of him. Does that help any?

Volcynika said:
Back off and just swipe your sword at any oncoming balls. If you're in the middle of it, your HP and sword are going to get trashed. If you back off before he starts (he'll telegraph it by spitting out a ball first) and get on the good side, you'll avoid most if not all damage.

Madvillain said:

Absolutely beautiful games from the start. I've never seen princess crown, and purposely kept from reading up on odin sphere. It might be one of the first PS2 games that I'll get my hands on for the BC.

I also use a Wiimote for those interested. It works flawlessly, and I do find myself trying to perform slashing moves with the controller. I am that immersed.

:lol :lol :lol

Noogy

I've been playing with a GC pad as well, but after watching my wife play with the Wiimote, I think I'm going to go that route.

thefro

I like how Ignition bought up every webad on Neogaf for this game. :D

Seems like there's more interest in this game than I thought, so we'll see how the sales go.

ZealousD

Quick question. I think I'm pretty close to the end of Momohime's story. How does the game handle it when you complete a side? Does it let you freely explore the world to do challenges and and make more swords and stuff?

kiryogi

Banned
ZealousD said:
Quick question. I think I'm pretty close to the end of Momohime's story. How does the game handle it when you complete a side? Does it let you freely explore the world to do challenges and and make more swords and stuff?

Correct, and in fact the whole being able to travel between shrines? Doesn't unlock until you clear the game with that char.

ZealousD

Question for those who have beaten one of the stories:

I'm trying to unlock all of those brown square muramasas. The end screen mentioned something about beating the final boss with certain blades to get a different ending. Do you unlock other the other brown muramasas by killing the last boss with the previous brown muramasa or something?

Finished the game on both sides
seen all the endings except the third for both
I must say great game..had alot of fun..think I overdid it a little though lol.

Giolon

ZealousD said:
Question for those who have beaten one of the stories:

I'm trying to unlock all of those brown square muramasas. The end screen mentioned something about beating the final boss with certain blades to get a different ending. Do you unlock other the other brown muramasas by killing the last boss with the previous brown muramasa or something?

You need to beat the game with both characters to unlock the other characters' "final" sword. Equipping both characters' final swords for the final battle gives you a different ending. After doing that for both characters, equipping the absolute final sword at the bottom of the tree and beating the final boss gives you a 3rd ending.

Celcius

°Temp. member
dark_preacher said:
options - graphics settings - internal resolution - aspect ration 16:9 - full screen.

running at 1920 x 1200 and this game is just beautiful.
Does it freeze for you when you beat the game and it shows the pond? Happens to me every time...

Awesome game though :D

EdgeTurn

Flying_Phoenix said:
It's vector graphics and not pixel art. Vector graphics can easily be scaled while pixels can't. Think of it like the pictures on your dock or folders. It doesn't matter if you make them bigger they'll still look the same or even better.

AFAIK it's painted textures placed on alpha'd polygons. I've seen wireframe screenshots of Odin Sphere running on an emulator where you can see how all the puppets are made up of very simple polygonal billboards. The lead artist also has said that they paint everything at 4 times the resolution that it appears in game, so I'm pretty sure that it's not vector art.

Saya

I'm on my first run with Momohime's story and just beat the
Mountain God/giant foot/boar boss
. This is the game I need right now. It is so beautiful and it is perfect for short playing sessions. I also love the Japanese voicework. Just fantastic.

Am I the only one finding this game BRUTAL in difficulty? I cant believe I cant even beat the first boss:lol :lol :lol :lol . I LOVE it. I am all about hard games, I beat the Ninja Gaidens, DMC's, Viewtiful Joes, Contras etc, but man this game takes the cake.

It seems like you guys are breezing through it. What should I do? go back through the level and grind? or just keep trying on the boss since I was pretty close at times but his health meter is ridiculous. That health bar for a first boss is crazy, hes harder than most end bosses and has more HP too.:lol :lol

drizzle

Axel Hertz
vocelcius said:
Does it freeze for you when you beat the game and it shows the pond? happens to me every time...
Awesome game though :D
It's a known problem with the emulation. Also happened on the Japanese version.
Luckily, somebody figured out a way to fix it. It involves creating a patch for the game (which you apply using the emulator, you don't need to mess with the game image itself).

All the info needed here:

http://forums.dolphin-emu.com/thread-512-post-39176.html#pid39176

Also, yeah. It's strange that a 2D game looks so much better on the emulator. If you press 3, you can toggle between native resolution and the resolution you set up, and you can clearly see a difference. Funny thing is that if you turn wireframe mode on, there's not much triangles there. And you can't turn texturing off (well, you can, but nothing changes). Which tells me it's not really 3d and textures (and i'm pretty sure i'm wrong). I don't know what the hell this games does do render it's graphics, but I'm loving it.

Only problem i have is that the Screen goes to black during the intro, so I can't really see it in glorious high resolution. I'm running Dolphin SVN 4246. Haven't really looked into it, but most people apparently don't have that problem.

Retarded Question time: Each of the swords you forge/receive have special attributes to them. One of them, for instance, gives you "Income Boost", which i believe means you get more money for each battle. Do you have to USE the sword to get that boost, or is it passive, and as long as I have it equipped, the bonus is "on"?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
drizzle said:
Retarded Question time: Each of the swords you forge/receive have special attributes to them. One of them, for instance, gives you "Income Boost", which i believe means you get more money for each battle. Do you have to USE the sword to get that boost, or is it passive, and as long as I have it equipped, the bonus is "on"?
Bonuses apply as long as they're equipped. I usually have one main sword and two swords I use for their bonuses.

My favorite boss so far is the third one, the
samurai I think?
. It was the only fight where I had to really think about what I was doing instead of finding the pattern and creating the right combinations of attacks and secret arts to counter it. Damned fun game though, even if it's a lot of button smashing it never gets old.

inner-G

Banned
Host Samurai said:
Am I the only one finding this game BRUTAL in difficulty? I cant believe I cant even beat the first boss:lol :lol :lol :lol . I LOVE it. I am all about hard games, I beat the Ninja Gaidens, DMC's, Viewtiful Joes, Contras etc, but man this game takes the cake.

It seems like you guys are breezing through it. What should I do? go back through the level and grind? or just keep trying on the boss since I was pretty close at times but his health meter is ridiculous. That health bar for a first boss is crazy, hes harder than most end bosses and has more HP too.:lol :lol
Try Musou.

Haly

Host Samurai said:

You have to be doing something wrong :lol :lol :lol

Haly

Protip: Long blades suck for bosses, they leave you open to counter attacks. Use the normal blade to do hit and run attacks. Use the extra soul power to launch repeated Secret Arts (you're invincible during these attacks so you don't have to worry about counterattacks, except for certain arts like Misty Slash, Moon, Nightglow which send you into the air after completion, leaving you vulnerable)

Teknoman

Wow...just got to
Tsuchigumo's (spider demon) lair in the temple

Japanese demons have to have some of the most freakiest designs out of all cultures.

Haly

Momohime: The Tunder God is fight is just :lol :lol :lol

Kisuke: I'm stuck on the charms girl, I can't find any counters to her fire charm spam when she rages.

Teknoman

Halycon said:
Momohime: The Tunder God is fight is just :lol :lol :lol

Kisuke: I'm stuck on the charms girl, I can't find any counters to her fire charm spam when she rages.

Got a sword with moonlight glint? Just use that, its like quick draw at command.

ZealousD

You know what's fun in this game? Juggling Onis. Try and keep them in the air as long as possible, then, when they finally hit the ground, do it a second time. :lol

Haly

Teknoman said:
Got a sword with moonlight glint? Just use that, its like quick draw at command.
I'll look into that later. Is that the only way?

Teknoman

Halycon said:
I'll look into that later. Is that the only way?

Not really, you can just hit them. Of course if you get trapped in a circle...I think you just have to button mash your way out (like if frozen in an old school game). Also try eating a Cabbage hot pot before the fight to boost your stats. I think I had an absorb charm on so everytime I hit her, I got a bit of HP back.

Haly

Teknoman said:
Not really, you can just hit them. Of course if you get trapped in a circle...I think you just have to button mash your way out (like if frozen in an old school game). Also try eating a Cabbage hot pot before the fight to boost your stats. I think I had an absorb charm on so everytime I hit her, I got a bit of HP back.
I know you can kill the large fire charms but the small ones as well?

Top Bottom