• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Muramasa: The Demon Blade Thread of Japanese-tastic 2D Tentacle Action!

Azure J

ZealousD said:
You know what's fun in this game? Juggling Onis. Try and keep them in the air as long as possible, then, when they finally hit the ground, do it a second time. :lol

Juggling anything in this game is fun as hell. You know you're a badass when you juggle a boss from 2nd health bar to 0 spamming Wind/Gale/Kamitachi (sp?). Likewise, you know you did something wrong when you get stomped the fuck out then juggled from full to zero in like 10 seconds. :lol

God this game is so much fun.

Insaniac

So I've beaten the game as momohime once, and I was wondering if there is any significance to the hot springs? Don't say what it is, if there is, just a yes or no will do :D

jrricky

Banned
Man, everywhere I go on GAF and around the internet, this game continues to taunt the shit out of me with its ads... :-/

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Insaniac said:
So I've beaten the game as momohime once, and I was wondering if there is any significance to the hot springs? Don't say what it is, if there is, just a yes or no will do :D

Pretty sure it's just there to heal yourself and the occasional dialog.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
ZealousD said:
Pretty sure it's just there to heal yourself and the occasional dialog.
And to stare at Momo.

What?

(Or Kisuke, if that's your thing)

Finally got it in the mail earlier today. Played just past the second boss. It's definitely a lot of fun. Like it's been said, juggling enemies is awesome, even after they're dead. I look forward to playing more tomorrow but I can already tell this will be one of the better games this year.

Hell yes, I just beat this game! Woo-hoo...I just got done playing as Kisuke for like 5 hours straight. This game is just so addictive...the music, everything. Even though my hands were tired I just couldn't put the controller down! Everyone who doesn't own it already should go out and buy it...don't overlook this one guys!

~Scott

Solune

MidnightScott said:
Hell yes, I just beat this game! Woo-hoo...I just got done playing as Kisuke for like 5 hours straight. This game is just so addictive...the music, everything. Even though my hands were tired I just couldn't put the controller down! Everyone who doesn't own it already should go out and buy it...don't overlook this one guys!

~Scott

Listen to this man! It should be a sin not to purchase or at the least play this game.
And even though there have been some attacks on Ignition for the lack of a dub, at the very least they brought it over so I am thankful and support VANILLAWARE! They are gods among mortals.

wrowa

Played it about 2 hours and... I don't like it :/
The backgrounds are stunning and probably the best 2D graphics ever seen in a video game so far, but at the same time they're repeating over and over again. While the graphics are beautiful, the gameplay seems really shallow. The level design is just bad (what do you do? You walk. And that's it) and there's nothing to do apart from the battles every now and then. I'm still playing it, but only because I want to see it and not because it's a lot of fun. Maybe it gets better later on, I don't know.

Played about an hour or two so far. I'm liking it somewhat. This game is gorgeous. I do not like the long swords. They're too slow. Bleh.

I know this may sound stupid but I really love the little glance towards me Kisuke sometimes gives as he runs. Makes me smile.

Hiltz

Finished Momohime's quest a couple of days ago. The final boss looks epic but is one of the easiest in the game, at least on Muso mode.

I'm about 7 hours in playing on Shura mode with Kisuke and recently beat the
Dragon God
boss.

I found the Octopus boss but couldn't beat it especially when its difficult to fight it on the small boat and its attacks are quite strong (two Octopuses actually showed up). I ended up fishing first (the encounter is random) then had to travel all the way back to Izu in hope of getting to the Octopus boss.

I've got to say, Shura mode definitely does feel like a different beast than Muso mode. I'm happy that Kisuke and Momohime fight different bosses so it doesn't feel like deja vu.

I tried playing with the GameCube controller but it felt weird so I stuck with the Wii controls which feel more comfortable and the controller layout on it is excellent in my opinion.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Hiltz said:
Finished Momohime's quest a couple of days ago.

I'm about 7 hours in playing on Shura mode with Kisuke

I've got to say, Shura mode definitely does feel like a different beast than Muso mode. I'm happy that Kisuke and Momohime fight different bosses so it doesn't feel like deja vu.

I tried playing with the GameCube controller but it felt weird so I stuck with the Wii controls which feel more comfortable and the controller layout on it is excellent in my opinion.

GiantBomb QL sold me the game but here some Qs before I go to Amazon .

1- how long the game with both characters ?
2- is the story as good as Odin Sphere ?
3- did GameCube controller felt weird because you played first with Wiimote or because this game is built for Wii control ? should I buy classic controller ?
4- is the game that easy on normal mode ( in GiantBomb QL it look like it was very easy )
5- Odin Sphere look like pure sex upsclaed on HDTV with PS3 , will I have problems going SDTV with this game ? ( and no I will never use dolphin emu )

thanks in advance

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Totobeni said:
4- is the game that easy on normal mode ( in GiantBomb QL it look like it was very easy )
5- Odin Sphere look like pure sex upsclaed on HDTV with PS3 , will I have problems going SDTV with this game ? ( and no I will never use dolphin emu )

I can only answer these two as I'm nowhere near finished yet, but;

4 - I'm on easy and while some parts are 'easy' others are not. The difficulty is progressing quite nicely actually, but I'm not very good at these kinds of games so maybe someone can offer more insight.

5 - I'm playing on a 1080p 40" Samsung LCD, via component cables, and it is quite frankly one of the best looking Wii games I've seen on my display. Some games look much better than others, with the worst looking terrible, but this really shines and seems to upscale via the display wonderfully.

Giolon

Totobeni said:

3- did GameCube controller felt weird because you played first with Wiimote or because this game is built for Wii control ? should I buy classic controller ?

thanks in advance

1) Most people and reviews are saying about 8 hours per char. I took 13 hours with Momohime and am on the same track with Kisuke.
2) Sadly, no. Story takes a big backseat on this game. Muramasa puts its focus on the action.
3) I use the Nunchuk and Wiimote. There's no waggle. It doesn't matter which controller you play with they all work fine. It's all preference and boils down to what you find most comfortable. The split halves of the Wiimote/nunchuck can't be beaten in my opinion, all other things being equal.
4) Easy mode (Musou) is easy. "Hard" (Shura) feels a lot like playing Ninja Gaiden (Xbox) in 2D.
5) Of course it's fine on an SDTV. It's a 480p game. It also looks goddamn gorgeous on HDTV, which is pretty unusual for non-HD games.

kiryogi

Banned
Totobeni said:

thanks in advance

1 - roughly 12 hours is the average.
2 - Not quite as indepth. The story was literally in your face in Odin Sphere. It's more about the action here in Muramasa
3 - Unfortunately only played with wiimote, which is quite godly and having loose hands is awesome. But there are many folks that rave GC or CC is the only way to go
4 - Almost, infact super boring. But one can argue because of the autoblock, in the latter stages of the game it makes it harder. Since it means you're more likely to get your blade destroyed. Meanwhile in Shura, you can just take the hits instead yourself.
5 - SD here, still super gorgeous. But it really shines if you can do 16:9

ivysaur12

Banned
Just got this game yesterday. I'm about 2 hours in Shura mode with Kitsuke and just beat the
Centipede boss and did the first of the demon caves.

This game is crazy good, and it's holding my attention a lot more than Odin Sphere did. I really love the blade mechanics, and even though it's a bit of a button masher, it's a fun button masher and the combos are great.

Oh, and it's fucking beautiful.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Thanks for the answers guys <3

Giolon said:
1) Most people and reviews are saying about 8 hours per char. I took 13 hours with Momohime and am on the same track with Kisuke.

nice :)

kiryogi said:
2 - Not quite as indepth. The story was literally in your face in Odin Sphere. It's more about the action here in Muramasa

Giolon said:
2) Sadly, no. Story takes a big backseat on this game. Muramasa puts its focus on the action.

:/ huge bummer

they went feudal japan , thought they will do better story , Odin was epic , was waiting for something like that or like Onimusha story , oh well ..still not a deal breaker .

kiryogi said:
4 - Almost, infact super boring. But one can argue because of the autoblock, in the latter stages of the game it makes it harder. Since it means you're more likely to get your blade destroyed. Meanwhile in Shura, you can just take the hits instead yourself.

Giolon said:
4) Easy mode (Musou) is easy. "Hard" (Shura) feels a lot like playing Ninja Gaiden (Xbox) in 2D.

well I don't want to be bored and I don't want to get frustrated , so since it gets harder in Musou mode I guess I will go with that .

kiryogi said:
5 - SD here, still super gorgeous. But it really shines if you can do 16:9
EatChildren said:
I can only answer these two as I'm nowhere near finished yet, but;

5 - I'm playing on a 1080p 40" Samsung LCD, via component cables, and it is quite frankly one of the best looking Wii games I've seen on my display. Some games look much better than others, with the worst looking terrible, but this really shines and seems to upscale via the display wonderfully.

mmm , well this is interesting , I asked that since all 3D Wii games look like crap on my HDTV , and because of that I play Wii on SDTV ( actually a Rear projection Tantus since it's the best for SD gaming ) .

but since this is 2D game I guess I should give it a try and use component cables on my Bravia ( Bravia Engine 2 do decent upscaling )

well nice answers , will buy this game , I am not part of the problem anymore :D .

Insaniac

can somebody explain to me the difference between Shura and Muso mode? I think in Muso it's a lot easier to auto-block enemy attacks while attacking them (which leads to a lot more broken swords), but in Shura you actually have to hold A to parry?

Giolon

Insaniac said:
can somebody explain to me the difference between Shura and Muso mode? I think in Muso it's a lot easier to auto-block enemy attacks while attacking them (which leads to a lot more broken swords), but in Shura you actually have to hold A to parry?

In Musou mode, any time you're swinging your sword, you're automatically blocking. In Shura, you have to manually block and you are NOT blocking while your sword is swinging - this leads you to need to use dodge maneuvers and invunlerability animations (i.e. switching swords or using special abilities) to avoid taking damage. Additionally, in Musou mode, your HP scales better against enemy damage. No matter how much you level up in Shura, you're still always approximately 5 or 6 hits away from death.

I do want to point out that it's possible to switch difficulties at any time outside of combat, and there is no penalty (like different endings or bosses or rewards) for switching from Shura to Musou mode. If it's too easy, put it on Shura for a bit. When it starts kicking your ass, switch back to Musou mode. It's very flexible.

@Totobeni on story: It's not that the stories are bad (in fact I think Kisuke's is quite good), it's just that they aren't as intricate or focused upon nearly so much as Odin Sphere.

Haly

FINALLY.

Bitch priestess. Secret Art spam > Fire sparm.

Gomu Gomu

Am I the only one here that was bored with game? I spent about 4 and a half hours of gameplay, and I can not continue. The backtracking is way too boring, and there aren't nearly enough enemies in the game to keep me interested. Yes, the sword battle is nice and surprisingly deep. However this alone failed to keep me wanting more of the game. Also, WTF @ the story?

played this the past few days, finished on shura with both characters, going back and doing loose ends, and also started 1 hp mode

this game is so close to being incredibly great, but the combat and a few other issues really drag it down

why they couldn't work the B button in for either parry or jump is beyond me. that and the enemies need better sound effects for cluing you in to their attacks.

Meesh

Just bought the game...great art on the game case, on the disk(surprise), and on the manual...for a game that pushes jaw dropping artwork and yet leaves the pages in the manual black and white?(wasn't expecting that)...?...well...I'll just play the game and ignore the manual.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Evilink said:
on the disk(surprise)

Yeah, when did Nintendo start doing this? Seems like both Muramasa and Metroid Prime Trilogy had proper disc art instead of that two-tone crap that Nintendo was forcing before.

Meesh

ZealousD said:
Yeah, when did Nintendo start doing this? Seems like both Muramasa and Metroid Prime Trilogy had proper disc art instead of that two-tone crap that Nintendo was forcing before.
I think the Conduit did too(?)...*blows dust off game*

kiryogi

Banned
ZealousD said:

I have no idea. I noticed this back during Little King's Story. Which is super nice.

Haly

Kisuke: Wow. Wind + Wind II = Perfect Boss Battles

THIS IS TOO POWERFUL A TECHNIQUE FOR MERE MORTALS.

Onsen Dialogue:
Kisuke: Don't get so tense just because I'm a man. You're too skinny for me anyway.

Kisuke sure knows how to make a girl feel special.

big_z

where is the second last sword located? it's the bottom blue square next to the very last sword... i cant find the location.

jrricky

Banned
ZealousD said:
Colored cases started coming in earlier this year, i think tenchu (?) had it. The Conduit definitely does...

impressions are killing me...

Giolon

I just beat Kisuke's story for the first time in about 10 hours. I beat Momohime's last weekend in 13 hours. I must say, they have very different last boss styles. Whereas I thought Momohime's bosses were simpler than Kisuke's on average, she had a more complicated final fight. I still thought that Kisuke's path overall was a little harder than Momohime's.

Alright, here I go looking forward to round two to see the next endings!

I think the stories are good, but the game clearly does not care about them and makes no bones about letting you know that. There's a lot of "Well, this just happened, but we didn't show it to you because HEY LOOK OVER THERE."

Finished Momohime's story today. Was there supposed to be more after that little scene of a pond? I pressed buttons, but it wouldn't proceed, so I just turned it off.

Giolon

ShockingAlberto said:
Finished Momohime's story today. Was there supposed to be more after that little scene of a pond? I pressed buttons, but it wouldn't proceed, so I just turned it off.

Yes. You have to wait through the credits to get the opportunity to save and it tells you what has been unlocked, such as the ability to warp between shrines.

After you beat each character's stories for the first time, there's more to be done...

Arde5643

Oh god, this game is so freaking good!

While the backtracking after cleared "dungeons" are annoying, the game's insanely beautiful graphics, seemingly simple yet actually deep and challenging gameplay, and good paced direction makes this the best game I've ever played from Vanillaware by far.

Like someone has posted earlier, the game definitely fixes the flaws from Odin Sphere and improves the gameplay portion of it.

I was impressed that even with tons of enemies on the screens (oh gods, the optional bosses w/ the 100 enemies challenge can be quite a nightmare), the screen never slows down unintentionally.

I also love the eating and cooking animation they had (very cute and the beautiful art actually makes you hungry for some Japanese cuisine eating), although the cooking animation can be a bit annoying when you try to cook multiple riceballs or baked yams (hopefully they'll have a multiple item cooking on the next Muramasa).

And I actually like the way they have the difficulty level - for veterans of Odin Sphere, Shura is the one you want.
It gives you the tough challenges you expect from Odin Sphere.
And if you want your casual friend/relatives to play, just switch it to Muso so that they can feel like a badass doing massive comboes to enemies without having to suffer massive beatdowns like in Shura.

You should buy this game if any of this applies to you:
1) Loves 2D games
2) Loves action brawler games
3) Loves anime art games
4) Loves good games

9/10 for Muramasa - with some scores taken out due to annoyance caused by backtracking and eating/cooking animation.

careksims

Got this on Saturday and been playing non-stop. This is a GOOD game. I been waiting for such a game. I love it a lot! I like the gameplay better than Odin's Sphere. I hope we get more games like this in this style.

Haly

Beat both stories, endings were pretty disappointing.

Going to collect swords and have another go.

Giolon

Halycon said:
Beat both stories, endings were pretty disappointing.

Going to collect swords and have another go.

Beat the game again
with both of the characters' swords that they got for beating their final boss equipped and you'll get a new final boss and a new ending for each. Then forge the final sword (Oboro Muramasa) and equip it, and beat the game with each character again for the 3rd endings

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Gomu Gomu said:
Am I the only one here that was bored with game? I spent about 4 and a half hours of gameplay, and I can not continue. The backtracking is way too boring, and there aren't nearly enough enemies in the game to keep me interested. Yes, the sword battle is nice and surprisingly deep. However this alone failed to keep me wanting more of the game. Also, WTF @ the story?

What's wrong with the story?

Hiltz

For a game that's so focused on combat, I was pleasantly surprised by Muramasa's stories despite their simplicity. I liked how Jinkuro ocassionally insults Momohime's physical appearance and refers to her as a weakling.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Backtracking is a pain in the ass, but there's ways around it.

First of all, there's a Bronze Mirror or whatever the item is called. It allows you to go back to the last shrine you "visited". In other words, to the last shrine you saved. If you want to go somewhere (to do a challenge, for instance), but don't want to go back all the way, just don't save anywhere in between. When you get where you want to go, just use the item and bam, you're back on the shrine.

You can also use the traveling shortcuts spread around the maps (either by boat or by "carriage"). While i do agree that there aren't as many as there should be.

HOWEVER, the game is awesome. It has some exploring to do (with the barriers and closed off challenges). People are only pissed about the "backtracking" because it involves nothing beside walk right (or left) and beat the eventual enemy. If there were more puzzles on the path (like in, let's say, Metroid), it would be less boring.

Still a great game. I'm up to level 40 and only now (amazingly), I started noticed how the special attacks are useful when doing either bosses or challenges. I'm starting to have two sets of 3 swords, one for exploring and one for challenging.

I also love the dynamic of the special attributes of the different equipment/foods. I just wish a list of what each seller has to sell would show up on the map, so i don't have to go through 5 different areas to find some Squids for sale.

I was surprised with the game. I though i'd be over it in about 2 hours, but i'm 8 hours strong in it and i always want to go back and play it a little longer. I think the fact that I always play the game 1 hour/1:30 hours over what i planned to play it on each sitting says everything about the game.

For those that got annoyed by GiantBomb's quicklook of the game, apparently they're doing a Review or Video Review of it this week. Let's see what they have to say, after a prolonged experience with it.

Hiltz said:
For a game that's so focused on combat, I was pleasantly surprised by Muramasa's stories despite their simplicity. I liked how Jinkuro ocassionally insults Momohime's physical appearance and refers to her as a weakling.
I'm a little confused about the story. It seems it goes over important details quickly. However, i'm liking the small bits I'm managing to understand and link to other details.

Haly

My reaction to the white bonus room "Total Pandemonium":

|:
\:
D:
D8

The prize was Narukami Bracelet.
Save Soul: Use Secret Arts without losing any Soul Power

Haly

Giolon said:
Oh dear god, what's inside?
First set consists of ninja waves and basic bosses.
Basic + kite
Chain White + basic + kite
Chain white + White + kite
Star white + chain White + white
Single god of pestilence.
Two gods of pestilence and ghostly gunmen across the entire stage.

Next set consists of more ninja. This time you start off with whites and then progress to 3 giant ninja boss.

After that are the samurai, working your way up to 3 samurai bosses like Yukinojyo.

Then you have the monks, working your way up to 2 giant monks.

The next fight is against boars and pheasants.

Followed by tengu and those snow spirits.

Then 6 ghost samurai, with a giant samurai to finish up.

After that you have the Oni.
Goblins
Blue and Red
Horse and Ox
4 Red Oni

Finally, you fight a blue clone of Kisuke and a pink clone of Momohime. They guard just like samurai but their swords are harder to break. Every now and then they will launch waves of Crescents, Gale Thrusts and Moon Rings at you, sometimes both at once.They're surprisingly weak. One of Kisuke's moves, however will initiate an omnislash like move once it hits you. This will take out ~3000 health. I'm not sure of Momohime has a similar move, because I took her out first.

I was level 96 with Earth Runner II, Wind II, Windmill II and Nio Bracelet.

EDIT: I guess it's the same as the Second Ending.

Top Bottom