• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Muramasa: The Demon Blade Thread of Japanese-tastic 2D Tentacle Action!

Dave Long

Banned
I loved it for the short time I was able to play. I've just been way too busy since August to play videogames more than an hour here or there, and often that has to be portable because the TV is tied up. :(

Oxx

It isn't out in Europe until November. Not that that would cause a huge influx of posting about the game.

Scrubking

So I just got a priority mail box from Ignition, but after eagerly opening it up it was empty.

I assume it was supposed to be my Amazon bonus.

Hiltz

I just collected all 108 swords and finished Momohime's multiple story endings as well.

The highest white level challenge tree room was really worth beating due to the special item you win from it. That particular battle was quite tough too. The item is a
bracelet that allows you to have infinite soul power so you can repeatedly use sword special attacks without the sword's soul power being drained.

By the way, the maximum character level you can go up to is 99.

Volcynika

Scrubking said:
So I just got a priority mail box from Ignition, but after eagerly opening it up it was empty.

I assume it was supposed to be my Amazon bonus.

I thought my box was empty too, but it had that poster in it.

P90

JosM88 said:
I wouldn't be so sure. The thread itself has nearly 40K views, and there are people in the last page who would update later on as the game is fairly long. I think we'll see this thread hit at least 1K posts.

I can see you've been very busy. I like the fact that you at least spend your leisure time doing the things you enjoy unlike most of GAF where people just spend their extra time trolling, and arguing.

You're like the coolest uncle I've ever known. I've been wanting to get back into handheld gaming since the new Gold, and silver came out. It's fantastic that you are sharing such an awesome hobby with your family. I can officially say for the first time that I am envious of someone else.:lol

I don't even know someone with a porch swing:lol , but I do love me some shrimp.

Thanks for the kind words. Videogames are kind of a family tradition since the 70s. (I'm giving away my age here. -yikes-) I've got generous kids and extended families. They buy ME games and consoles! And vice versa. I haven't been gifted a PS3 yet. The price drop may change that. ;)

Back on topic, I purchased an extra copy of Muramasa to give to one of my nephews. If I find a truly excellent game, I can't help but share with my family. Gaming is good fun.

Noogy

I absolutely loved what I've played, but have been too busy to return to it recently. The biggest reason I'm kind of waiting is I'm trying to find a better solution to hook my Wii up to my 24" monitors that I game on. I usually don't care how my Wii games look, but this game deserved better than my current setup.

What I wouldn't give just to pop it into my 360 or PS3 and go in through HDMI.

Hiltz

Does anyone know if you win anything (like a special item or something) when you defeat the optional octopus boss?

Even at level 99, I couldn't beat it especially since you cannot use your sword special attacks on it and that tiny boat leaves little room to stand and fight on.

P90 said:
Thanks for the kind words. Videogames are kind of a family tradition since the 70s. (I'm giving away my age here. -yikes-) I've got generous kids and extended families. They buy ME games and consoles! And vice versa. I haven't been gifted a PS3 yet. The price drop may change that. ;)

Thats fantastic. It's great that you've got a family open to those kinds of experiences. It's a simple hobby that does wonders for families that are close with each other. Alot of those racist kids on Xbl would really benefit from some family game time. Oh, and yeah the PS3 scene is getting stronger at the moment with some real solid console entries, and a fantastic DD section.

P90 said:
Back on topic, I purchased an extra copy of Muramasa to give to one of my nephews. If I find a truly excellent game, I can't help but share with my family. Gaming is good fun.

Nice, I usually don't buy brand new games as presents, because of budget constraints, but I do when I've got some extra cash. A game like Muramasa really deserves the attention.

Edit:

Don't worry about giving away your age here. They'll have to pry that controller out of my cold dead hands when I'm done. Hell, I encourage older folks to play as a form of exercise if I have a chance.

:D

So yeah I finally got to play the game today.

ixuiyw.jpg

Just beat the first boss. So far it seems like what people wanted Odin Sphere to be, an action sidescroller, which isn't too bad. With the exceptions of the music (Sakamoto am cry) the game just has bigger production values all over from animations to the variety of stuff on the maps. So far it seems like a pretty good game, like a modern Ninja Spirit.

Flying_Phoenix said:
So yeah I finally got to play the game today.

ixuiyw.jpg

Just beat the first boss. So far it seems like what people wanted Odin Sphere to be, an action sidescroller, which isn't too bad. With the exceptions of the music (Sakamoto am cry) the game just has bigger production values all over from animations to the variety of stuff on the maps. So far it seems like a pretty good game, like a modern Ninja Spirit.

It's a beautiful title and that's a nice television you've got there...save the features sticker on the left front panel. Take that thing off. :lol

Threi

notag
Why does everybody hate the music? I think its one of the best aspects of the game...

Btw progress report: Act 6 on Momo's story, just beat the flying lion thing (thanks to moonlight SA spam) and at lvl. 33. The game clearly doesn't reach the potential it has (which is astronomical), but it is still one of the best games this gen easily.

Also: I have said "wow" at the graphics more times in this game than any other game this gen. The fisheye 3d effect in the long vertical rooms in the castle was dazzling.

pixel monkey said:
It's a beautiful title and that's a nice television you've got there...save the features sticker on the left front panel. Take that thing off. :lol

Done.

Threi said:
Why does everybody hate the music? I think its one of the best aspects of the game...

Because people compare it to Odin Sphere which had one of the best musical composers currently in the industry, Hitoshi Sakomoto.

Wait...Threi? You got a new avatar. I can barely recognize you.

gokieks

Flying_Phoenix said:
Because people compare it to Odin Sphere which had one of the best musical composers currently in the industry, Hitoshi Sakomoto.

... who is also the composer for the music of Muramasa.

SaintZ

I beat Kisuke's part yesteday with 6 hours and 17 minutes at level 40. I finished Momohime's at level 51 with 10 hours and a half. Kisuke's history, last boss and ending was better than Momo's and I don't know why it took me much less to beat it. Now, I'm grinding with Momohime by visiting Kisuke's bosses and holy shit, I went up 5 levels with the
big Samurai Leader.
. I'm having a hard time gaining experience with Kisuke though.

DailyVacation

Neo Member
In all the screenshots I've seen, I don't think that girl is wearing anything under that kimono.

Wouldn't want to be close to her around, you know, that time.

benita316

Banned
DailyVacation said:
In all the screenshots I've seen, I don't think that girl is wearing anything under that kimono.

Oh for fuck's sake. How fucking old are you that you thought that was a worthwhile reply?

I weep for your future.

DailyVacation said:

What? Are you looking for a tag quote?

benita316 said:
Oh for fuck's sake. How fucking old are you that you thought that was a worthwhile reply?

I weep for your future.

:lol :lol :lol

Tenkei

Hiltz said:
I just collected all 108 swords and finished Momohime's multiple story endings as well.

The highest white level challenge tree room was really worth beating [snip]

By the way, the maximum character level you can go up to is 99.
I had an easier time using Keisuke (level 62) to beat that challenge, after I cleared it with Momohime (level 90). I guess knowing what to expect from it the second time around, and realising that I didn't need to use the final sword to beat it, helped. I finished all of the endings with a level 98 Keisuke and level 97 Momohime.

I liked Keisuke's second ending the best of all of them.
Momohime's third ending was the happiest, yet the least rewarding in my opinion.
Keisuke's ending felt right to me, for some reason.

Edit:
Tenbatsu said:
WTF is this?:lol
That's from Orgasmo, isn't it?

I'm not gonna lie but this game literally looks next-gen compared to Odin Sphere from the textures, to the animation, to the layering, to the effects. Its as if Nintendo poured all of their resources to the console in 2D instead of 3D. This game is truly stunning.

Threi said:
I can't understand this either. Even some of the early import reviews described the music as "forgettable" when to me the compositions and the battle remixes are anything but. I'd love and official soundtrack for this game.

I've only got 13 swords to go now. I want to try a
shigurui
run through but the rest of my backlog is calling me.

matmanx1

People are complaining about the music in this game? Really? I know people have different tastes but I think it's pretty fantastic and also fits the period the game is set in. I think it's pretty wonderful stuff even if it cant help but be overshadowed by the graphics.

gokieks

matmanx1 said:
People are complaining about the music in this game? Really? I know people have different tastes but I think it's pretty fantastic and also fits the period the game is set in. I think it's pretty wonderful stuff even if it cant help but be overshadowed by the graphics.

Yeah, I don't get the disdain for the music either. I love the "usual" style of Sakimoto's works, but there's only so many in the same vein before you want something a bit different. And this (BGM00011 on the disc) is one of the most memorable music tracks from a game I've heard in quite a long time - it was enough to make me go and rip it from the game DVD myself to listen to it.

Hiltz

I don't recommend doing a Shura run through when it comes to the higher challenge tree rooms. I can guarantee that you will get your butt kicked. I mean, a few of them were hard enough on Muso mode. :D

The music is fantastic. It's just a bit disappointing that there's not enough new tracks spread throughout the different maps. I mean, you get to hear the same tunes quite often is all.

kiryogi

Banned
It's Sakimoto without a doubt. You can see some glimpses of his usual style but for the most part it's different. It's really neat to see basiscape take on edo era style instead of their usual fantasy stuff. In fact, it's refreshing. The game takes place in ancient Japan for crying out loud. You really expected a score like Odin Sphere or FFXII for this? I mean we're getting about the same level, but it's just a totally different style.

Sakimoto composed a few of the pieces himself (including the title theme), but many of the tracks were written by his staff at Basiscape under his supervision.

Also, learning that Sakimoto did the soundtrack to Super Back to the Future Part II (Sfami) almost makes me want to buy it.

Threi

notag
gokieks said:
Yeah, I don't get the disdain for the music either. I love the "usual" style of Sakimoto's works, but there's only so many in the same vein before you want something a bit different. And this (BGM00011 on the disc) is one of the most memorable music tracks from a game I've heard in quite a long time - it was enough to make me go and rip it from the game DVD myself to listen to it.
There are a LOT of tracks I like in this game, but so far BGM#43 (And it's battle theme #52) stand above the rest.

I would link a bunch more but the school net sucks :(

This game has one of the best soundtracks this gen easily. It sends chills down my spine.

ZAK

I beat L's Kisuke's story and I was visually grabbed, like, never. I believe this conclusively proves to me and the world that I don't care about graphics.

How do I get different endings?

EGM92

Quick question about the game, I'm near the end of Momohime's story. Final Act actually. I still haven't gotten all the swords. Is it even possible to unlock/forge all of the demon blades? or are there paths that I chose going down the forge tree that will block certain swords?

Azure J

Threi said:
There are a LOT of tracks I like in this game, but so far BGM#43 (And it's battle theme #52) stand above the rest.

I would link a bunch more but the school net sucks :(

This game has one of the best soundtracks this gen easily. It sends chills down my spine.

People hate the music in Muramasa? Fut the wuck? Seriously, the soundtrack is amazing. My personal favorites though are BGM #41 & the battle theme version BGM #50. They sound almost ethereal, but then again
considering they saved this theme for when you were platforming to heaven (literally) with Momohime or traveling the mountains with Kisuke,
well I guess that is the best way to put it.

Threi

notag
EGM92 said:
Quick question about the game, I'm near the end of Momohime's story. Final Act actually. I still haven't gotten all the swords. Is it even possible to unlock/forge all of the demon blades? or are there paths that I chose going down the forge tree that will block certain swords?
Honestly I wish the forge tree would block swords so you pay attention to what you are forging and appreciate the swords more, but it doesn't look like that. It seems that as long as you have the barrier swords you can forge everything. :(

Yes Boss!

So,

Got an email from Amazon saying that Ignition will not fulfill the preorder poster. They just game me a $10 gift certificate instead. Check your emails!

Volcynika

Yes Boss! said:
So,

Got an email from Amazon saying that Ignition will not fulfill the preorder poster. They just game me a $10 gift certificate instead. Check your emails!

Yeah, me too!

I got the poster already :lol

gokieks

Yeah, Amazon does that with pre-orders that they can't fulfill the entirety of - even those who did manage to get the item will get the "apologies" gift. I got a $20 from them back when the SFIV FightSticks were released even though I did manage to get one.

Hardly the only reason, but Amazon really is quite possibly the best retailer I've ever used, online or otherwise.

ivysaur12

Banned
Beat Kisuke, onto Momohime. I was kinda disappointed by the repeating environments at the end of Kisuke, but whatever. I also felt the game became easier, as I only had to repeat a boss once (the last one), after maybe the first or second.

Momohime's story is pretty similar so far. I'm hoping for a new locale I didn't see in Kisuke's to spice things up.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Flying_Phoenix said:
So are there any people here who thought Odin Sphere was a disappointment but found Muramasa to be great?

I would. Odin Sphere was a fairly repetitive game, it sucks playing through the same areas and bosses 5 times. Muramasa has more variety, and even though you basically play through the game twice, you get different bosses and some exclusive areas too.

On the other hand, Muramasa doesn't really hit the mark of Odin Sphere's high points either. The music is good, but not near as good as Odin Sphere's. The story is weaker, although this might have to do partly with the rather tepid translation by Ignition. Lastly, the setting isn't quite as unique.

So, Odin Sphere was sort of a loose mix of being fantastic and being shit, but Muramasa is consistently good.

Top Bottom