• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official New Super Mario Bros. Wii Thread

sfog

JoshuaJSlone said:
It's been a while since I've played, but isn't that how SML2 handled spin jumps for the GB button layout?

Sort of. On SML2, holding down in the air after a regular jump makes you spin.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
That's really just another bullet point on the list of reasons why a CC option would've been nice. The controls are perfectly serviceable as is, but I have to say there's nothing I couldn't see mapped just as well or better on the CC, and the bigger d-pad would've been awesome.
How would you control the tilting platforms using the Classic Controller? With the joystick? That would be pretty lame.

I liked the motion controls overall, except for the fact that they were entirely way too sensitive.

tabsina

Ydahs said:
Yes. If you screw the Nintendo fanbase over, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire market with this move.

which market did it alienate?

Lan_97

Half way through World 2, and this game has yet to grow on me. It's taking longer than expected to get used to the looser controls. And using both hands to shake the wiimote still feels a bit odd.

I only unlocked a couple Super Skill videos, but they are a really great unlockable reward.

jibblypop

Banned
This game is much more difficult than it seems. On the one hand, I have 55 lives... but on the other hand I die at least 5 times per level.

In terms of just how much I'm dying (in only world 3 so far) this is a hard Mario game for me! It's just that they throw free men at you like crazy so it seems like you are doing so good! :lol

jibblypop said:
This game is much more difficult than it seems. On the one hand, I have 55 lives... but on the other hand I die at least 5 times per level.

In terms of just how much I'm dying (in only world 3 so far) this is a hard Mario game for me! It's just that they throw free men at you like crazy so it seems like you are doing so good! :lol
Yeah I definitely noticed this, they give you tons of lives but they kill you tons too!

Speevy

Banned
nincompoop said:
How would you control the tilting platforms using the Classic Controller? With the joystick? That would be pretty lame.

The way they're implemented in NSMB Wii is lame, if you ask me.

The player will always be slightly distracted by tilting their controller to move something in a certain direction, which makes platforming more difficult.

Controls, whether digital, analog, or motion should always work in cooperation with each other. When you tilt a controller right, you start thinking "right" which temporarily takes your mind off a character that may need to move or jump left.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Speevy said:

The player will always be slightly distracted by tilting their controller to move something in a certain direction, which makes platforming more difficult.

Controls, whether digital, analog, or motion should always work in cooperation with each other. When you tilt a controller right, you start thinking "right" which temporarily takes your mind off a character that may need to move or jump left.

That's the whole point. Juxtaposing character control and platform control, and having to wrap your mind around managing both, often in opposite directions. It's supposed to be difficult.

Speevy

Banned
Tathanen said:
That's the whole point. Juxtaposing character control and platform control, and having to wrap your mind around managing both, often in opposite directions. It's supposed to be difficult.

But it's counter-intuitive when you do the same thing in dual analog without an issue. That's all I'm saying.

Motion control needs to make you think differently, not make the same things harder.

zigg

Speevy said:

It's a new challenge in thinking, and I loved it. And I can handle it perfectly now!

And they do work in cooperation with each other. It's the same concept as dual-analog—move left yet shift your view right.

Actually, this does remind me of one thing that bugged me a little. Those swinging pendulum fences—did it seem to anyone else like they should have required opposite tilts to what they did?

Speevy said:
But it's counter-intuitive when you do the same thing in dual analog without an issue.

So you were able to handle D-A perfectly the first time you tried it? I'm impressed. I certainly wasn't.

Xrenity

Speevy said:

Dude, that's the challenge.

I like it (and they only did it a couple of times yet (I'm in W3))

/edit
I'm late.

zigg said:
Actually, this does remind me of one thing that bugged me a little. Those swinging pendulum fences—did it seem to anyone else like they should have required opposite tilts to what they did?
Totally :lol

Vinci

Danish
Speevy said:
Motion control needs to make you think differently, not make the same things harder.

Playing this with my family, I can tell you that's exactly what it's doing - making players think differently. They love that mechanic because it forces them to rethink their natural tendency to lean the controller based on where they want to go; a common thing that people have done since the first SMB.

I think this is just an example of long-time gamers finding fault with something that wasn't put there for them. We've long since adapted: I'd wager most of us don't lean the controller or jerk it to the side anymore, since we know that doesn't help. But for less experienced folks? It's like a 'gotcha' moment where the game catches them doing something irrational.

I would've been fine with Classic Controller support, but I think the motion controls in this game do nothing but make it more appealing for those people.

YMMV.

bryehn

nincompoop said:
They would have been servicable I guess, but they wouldn't offer the same level of analog precision as tilting does.

:lol

The tilting only registers in maybe 8 positions from what I can tell.

Ranger X

nincompoop said:
They would have been servicable I guess, but they wouldn't offer the same level of analog precision as tilting does.

Theorically I can agree but it practice it really wouldn't matter a single bit. Anyway, your platform there doesn't have as much "angles" as what the tilting detects. And this obviously doesn't matter because they don't need to be more precise. With the precision you have right now, some shoulder button would have done the same job. Never played Locoroco? The rotation is even smoother.

zigg

I don't see the tilt improving precision, but you can get it into any position quickly—something that becomes particularly useful when playing multi or speed-running.

Amneisac

I have no SERIOUS problem with the motion controls except for picking stuff up, wtf! I think that hinders the fun when you're trying to pick up a prop. block or something in a hurry while the screen is scrolling up.

HUELEN10 said:
If this is what I think it is, then someone is using the level editor to remake the entire SMW!

:O
Given a level editor things like that are bound to happen; pretty much every NES Mario has been made through Lunar Magic. However, until/unless the NSMBW editor allows them to insert custom enemies/blocks/overworld/powerups things will necessarily be quite a bit off.

Just looking around a bit, here's a YouTube video of an early SMW level recreated in NSMBW.

rhino4evr

JoshuaJSlone said:
Given a level editor things like that are bound to happen; pretty much every NES Mario has been made through Lunar Magic. However, until/unless the NSMBW editor allows them to insert custom enemies/blocks/overworld/powerups things will necessarily be quite a bit off.

Just looking around a bit, here's a YouTube video of an early SMW level recreated in NSMBW.

Here's an idea Nintendo...how about a level editior actually in the game. How much cooler would NSMBWii would have been with some sort of level editor, that you could post for others to play..like LBP.

I mean they got the 4 players down...why not take the next step?

goomba

Banned
rhino4evr said:
Here's an idea Nintendo...how about a level editior actually in the game. How much cooler would NSMBWii would have been with some sort of level editor, that you could post for others to play..like LBP.

Because they want to sell NSMBW2

Ranger X

rhino4evr said:

Way to cool for Nintendo to do but if that had happened, the game would have consumed my life. LBP is already monitoring way to much of my living hours, having NSMB would be the final blow.

You're going to die a lot and it's a total CF. A real fun CF though. I haven't laughed this hard in a long time during a game with some of the stuff we were pulling off.

Vinci

Danish
rhino4evr said:

Because Nintendo is really better at creating their own content, not having others do it for them.

epmode

nincompoop said:
You're looking at it the wrong way. Anything requiring waggle/tilt should have been replaced by either a button or an alternate design element that doesn't require a half-assed analog setup.

zigg

epmode said:
You're looking at it the wrong way. Anything requiring waggle/tilt should have been replaced by either a button or an alternate design element that doesn't require a half-assed analog setup.

Yes, when encountering awesome game elements like the tilting platforms, I often think to myself "if only they removed it, the game would be better".

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Finally popped this in last night just to try out the first stage.
Wound up playing through 4-5 stages. I get the feeling that the game will be awesome, and a pretty huge step up from NSMB DS, which I had initially greatly underestimated but wound up enjoying immensely (and 100%ing)!

I think waggle to grab is silly, but it feels fine for the spin attack, the propeller, and especially the manual-tilt platforms (cool mechanic!)

Zeliard

I played some of World 1 last night, and man, I had a grin plastered across my face the entire damn time. I hadn't played a 2D Mario since Super Mario World, and this was like stepping back into old, highly comfortable shoes and going off on an adventure. A mix of both nostalgia and excitement at what's to come. I love it.

epmode

zigg said:
Oh my god you're right how could I not notice that. Clearly I was not having fun while I thought I was.
Just doing my part!

The tilt shit just seems really out of place in a series that stresses momentum and gravity, since those platforms ignore both.

zigg

epmode said:
The tilt shit just seems really out of place in a series that stresses momentum and gravity, since those platforms ignore both.

I did find it rather odd that they seem to be magnetic to Mario-shoes or something. Still love 'em though.

Strangely, I'm fine with the tilt-platforms. Once you get the hang of them, they're very reliable and fun to use.

The waggle, on the other hand, is problematic. It's very touchy. Would have much preferred the propeller spin to be a double-jump. Why we couldn't have used the B button on the bottom of the Wiimote to lift ice, players, etc, is beyond me.

Hell, why not use SMB2's grab for those special objects? Jump on top, Down+1. Makes a lot more sense. And to avoid running into problems, just require a Butt Stomp if you want to bounce off a player. Or they could jump up while you're coming down. Anything to avoid holding 1 and waggling.

Ranger X

I'm also fine with the tilt platform.

The only thing I'm not in love with (but doesn't ruin my experience at all) is the waggle pick up when we already have an easier pick up (like when you pick up a shell) and the sensitivity of the tilt you need to give for Mario to propel up or whirl.

zigg

Yeah, I am also fine but neutral with the spin-grab now, but this idea of making it like SMB2's pull-up sounds better.

Don't you even think about taking my spins away for the propeller though. :)

I think I have decided that New Super Mario Bros. Wii might become a very legitimate, in the minds of many many consumers, reason to own the Wii. The game is simply fantastic.

<3 Mario.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
epmode said:
Just doing my part!

The fact that the character controlling the platforms locks onto it may seem odd for the first few seconds, but the point is that the platform replaces the character - momentum and gravity are quite important in several of the tilt platform sequences where the controlling player must manage both.

Also, I would say that in practice, having the tilt controlled by Wiimote is required; while the platforms do have tiny notches in their range of movement, those notches are so subtle that trying to click back and forth with say, shoulder buttons on the classic controller would be a battle of constant over-compensation. It'd steal concentration away from managing the button presses for action action and jump. (Since you do also still have to manage your character who is on the platform.)

Sheesh, it's just another gadget out of the billions of Mario gadgets, used in a handful of stages.

I'd actually say that the mini-mushroom is used more poorly than the tilt platforms in NSMB. It's still only used in a few spots that are not innovative and requires some annoying backtracking in mini-form that feels unnatural.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Just beat World 3. I find this game is a nice mix of platforming challenge and co-op adjustments. Me and my roommate essentially keep killing each other, whether intentional or not, with the end result being an attempt to sabotage each other for the rest of the level. Why, just yesterday I found out a new way to kill your teammate: After they die and enter the bubble, if you shoot them with a fire/ice ball, they fall out. Killing someone before they get a chance to spawn is a great frustration mechanism to say the least.

rhino4evr

Vinci said:
Because Nintendo is really better at creating their own content, not having others do it for them.

Uh...they could still create their own content smarty pants...and if you played some of the best user levels in LBP, you would realize that there are a LOT of talented people out there. A level creation tool would have made this a MUST purchase for a lot of gamers.

Vinci

Danish
rhino4evr said:
Uh...they could still create their own content smarty pants...and if you played some of the best user levels in LBP, you would realize that there are a LOT of talented people out there. A level creation tool would have made this a MUST purchase for a lot of gamers.

It's not already a 'MUST purchase for a lot of gamers'? The number of people you're describing is minute compared to those - even many of those same people - who simply are thrilled to have another 2D Mario game.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Okay, so I got the stupid game yesterday. Let's see what all the hubbub is about. Bub.

rhino4evr

Vinci said:
It's not already a 'MUST purchase for a lot of gamers'? The number of people you're describing is minute compared to those - even many of those same people - who simply are thrilled to have another 2D Mario game.

No it isn't. In fact I almost didn't pick it up because it seemed to similar to the DS game. I'm fine with Nintendo creating a new 2D mario..but maybe its time to allow the player to create and share their vision of what a mario platformer could be.

In my opinion, Little Big Platform was a HUGE step forward for the platform genre..Nintendo is a few steps behind.

With the simple 2D layout...desigining a level editor would have been easy, and not nearly as complicated as LBP physics based levels. I mean we were doing this in Excite Bike 20 years ago...why don't we have the ability to do it now.

Think about this again. HOW AWESOME would a level creator be in a 2D Suepr Mario game... so so awesome.

Think of how much more popular it would be on Gaf alone...

instead of talking about motion controls, we would be testing and rating everyones levels. The game would be about 100% more fun in general. Not to mention limitless in playability.

Stitch

Gold Member
Oblivion said:
Okay, so I got the stupid game yesterday. Let's see what all the hubbub is about. Bub.

34jcbh5.gif

Vinci

Danish
rhino4evr said:
No it isn't. In fact I almost didn't pick it up because it seemed to similar to the DS game. I'm fine with Nintendo creating a new 2D mario..but maybe its time to allow the player to create and share their vision of what a mario platformer could be.

I've seen examples of that already. Guess what? I still prefer Nintendo's version.

In my opinion, Little Big Platform was a HUGE step forward for the platform genre..Nintendo is a few steps behind.

Nintendo's level design shits all over anything in that game. And I really enjoyed LBP. You can't be 'a few steps behind' when your opposition can't even match you in the basics of the genre.

Think about this again. HOW AWESOME would a level creator be in a 2D Suepr Mario game... so so awesome.

Think of how much more popular it would be on Gaf alone...

There are many things on GAF that are popular that I couldn't give a damn about, so we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

Top Bottom