• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official New Super Mario Bros. Wii Thread

Insaniac said:
man i suck at mario platformers. I'm at world 3 and I've died probably 30 times since i started this game.

Ditto. I had about 3 lives at the end of world one, whereas my online friends all claim to have had 20+ at this point.

Johnas

Drkirby said:
What the hell at the star coin in 2-2! Did anyone honestly figure out where it was on there own without the hint video?

You mean the one where
you have to go to the right of the piranha plant at the bottom of the screen, those coins shoot in from offscreen pointing down into the pit, then you have to go into the pit
? That one was a tough find.

I honestly found everything in the game without using a single hint video. Not bragging, a few things took me a relatively long time to find, World 7-6 for example. It's pretty awesome to find those secret exits on your own.

There's another really tricky one (imo) in World 6, but I won't spoil it for you.

What's a really good part of the game design is that the corresponding order of the star coins in each level matches the way they show up on the hud when you collect them. That really helps to narrow down the search, since you know 3 is somewhere in the level past 2, for example.

Forkball

I got the game today and reached the first castle in World 2. So far I'm really enjoying it. New Super Mario Bros. on DS is my favorite game for the handheld, and so far this game has even more surprises than its predecessor. There are so many new and interesting things in the game, it's a great mix of classic Mario and some really creative ideas. Here are a few opinions that will probably be completely changed after I beat the game.

Like:

New powerups. The propeller suit was a bit frustrating until I figured out how to use it effectively. The ice flower is also great and finally we have a decent powerup that can get rid of those pesky Dry Bones. This powerup seems to pop up often, I assumed it would be like the tiny mushroom or Blue Koopa shell in NSMB, making rare cameo appearances.

Revamped Toad Houses. The panel game is pretty cool and you can score big time. I am less of a fan of the 1 Up game since it's way harder, but I guess you have to draw the line somewhere. The star houses are also a nice touch.

Powerup menu. I love how they store the powerups you get like in Super Mario Bros. 3. This game has a ton of great and interesting powerups, so it's nice to see that you can summon any of them at a moment's notice.

Creative stages: You really never know what you're going to run into. Although I've only played a few levels, I've been constantly surprised by what the game throws at me. And I'm only in World 2!

Dislike:

Graphics. Although the small effects are a nice touch, overall the graphics look very simple and kind of bland. I'm not expecting Galaxy level, but I still think it could look better.

Too easy. People have been saying this is one of the most challenging Mario games yet, but so far it's been a total cakewalk. That had to be the easiest World 1 in the history of Mario platformers. I had about 18 lives at the end of it and never have I reached the top of the flagpole so many times in one world. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but thus far NSMB DS was more challenging.

Waggle is a bit pointless. I have to waggle to pick up things? No, NO. Also every now and then I randomly do a spin attack because I moved the controller. It feels a bit tacked on, and it also sucks because we can't use GCN controllers.

I'm going to play multiplayer tomorrow, can't wait!

Blizzard

Banned
Forkball said:
Too easy. People have been saying this is one of the most challenging Mario games yet, but so far it's been a total cakewalk. That had to be the easiest World 1 in the history of Mario platformers. I had about 18 lives at the end of it and never have I reached the top of the flagpole so many times in one world. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but thus far NSMB DS was more challenging.
I just have to throw my bit in again because of the people saying it's too easy.

To balance out you, there's ME. I played NSMBDS...even beat some of Bowser's Castle or something. I don't know if I ever beat the final levels, and probably not hidden levels if there are any.

But in this game, NSMB Wii, I died to the FIRST GOOMBA. And then, like the second one. I died over and over to the first few goombas and turtles, and then got a game over because of the first 2-3 enemies! If anything, this game is clearly not easy enough!

I am bad at games...I do think that people are having different experiences with the spinjump though. I thought lifting the controller to spinjump was kind of annoying but doable, but since then I've seen times where HARD motions are needed to get it to work, and others where it doesn't register, so it seems pretty hard to do consistently (also not at all fond of hand contortions to do platforming moves while tilting a platform). Some people are saying they never do it accidentally, some people are saying it triggers really easily, so I suspect it's controller-dependent.

entremet

Oblivion said:
I dunno. I'm just a little nervous since I think people might be a bit more impressionable, with the game being just released and all. I don't want to come back to this thread a week from now with everyone doing a 180.
Who cares? Play the game for yourself. It's not like you're buying a house now.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Bought the game, love it! One small complaint, I wish they would have given the world the same treatment as Galaxy. The world looks a little dull overall which isn't helped by the fact that i'm playing on a 50 inch plasma :( HD Nintendo can't come soon enough.

Now back to playing.

Teknoman

Strange how some people are having wiimote sensitivity issues, while others arent. Could it be the controller itself? When I was playing at work, never had an accidental spin move happen.

Game really looks great in motion, and the style looks alot better in person than in screenshots.

EDIT: Looking at what Blizzard said, I bet its the controller.

As for motion control...Its like Galaxy. Feels like its supposed to be there and not just tacked on.

Banned
Any chance someone could hack this to map the controls onto the classic controller? That'd be perfect, and ridiculous it's not in the actual game!

Marvie_3

Banned
Android18a said:
Ditto. I had about 3 lives at the end of world one, whereas my online friends all claim to have had 20+ at this point.
I had about 25 after World 1. Parts of World 2 dropped that number severely. :lol

Absolutely love this game though.

HUELEN10

666 said:
Any chance someone could hack this to map the controls onto the classic controller? That'd be perfect, and ridiculous it's not in the actual game!
Is it even possible to make an ocarina code work with an unsupported pad? I think the best you are gonna get is the spin-jump mapped to the B button.

Banned
HUELEN10 said:
Is it even possible to make an ocarina code work with an unsupported pad? I think the best you are gonna get is the spin-jump mapped to the B button.

Don't know, but man it'd be a load better. The Wiimote is uncomfortable as shit.

Man this game gets frustrating, I just threw my controller against a wall for the first time in 10 years. Fucking mario can suck a fat one.

beef3483 said:
I like the motion controls, makes the game seem more visceral. I especially like the parts which emphasize tilt functionality.

The motion control works great for the propellor suit and tilting the platforms is a lot of fun (especially in multiplayer). However, I don't like having to shake the controller to pick things up. Obviously, shaking the controller to pick up other characters in multiplayer was probably necessary in order to curb instances of people accidently picking each other up. With this said, it seems to me that if you can still pick up turtle shells and bob-ombs in the traditional manner, then there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to pick up trampolines and frozen enemies in the same way. This is a minor complaint, though. New Super Mario Bros. Wii is easily the best game of 2009.

Coolio McAwesome said:
The motion control works great for the propellor suit and tilting the platforms is a lot of fun (especially in multiplayer). However, I don't like having to shake the controller to pick things up. Obviously, shaking the controller to pick up other characters in multiplayer was probably necessary in order to curb instances of people accidently picking each other up. With this said, it seems to me that if you can still pick up turtle shells and bob-ombs in the traditional manner, then there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to pick up trampolines and frozen enemies in the same way. This is a minor complaint, though. New Super Mario Bros. Wii is easily the best game of 2009.
I imagine because there's not very common reasons why you would jump on an idle turtle shell or bob-omb, but if you auto-picked up every ice block you came to, it could be frustrating to use them as platforms.

I like the waggle. Propeller blocks and picking up things are really simple.

The only control problem I have is with the tiny d-pad. A few times, I've been suited up as a penguin, and I try to do a fast u-turn while running. Switching from right on the d-pad to left sometimes has me accidentally tap down on the tiny d-pad. This makes me belly slide right off the cliff.

tribal24

Banned
does the game even run widescreen. i get blackbars to the side i have to manually make it widescreen on my tv, any other way besides that?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
tribal24 said:
does the game even run widescreen. i get blackbars to the side i have to manually make it widescreen on my tv, any other way besides that?
IIRC, you can only adjust this from the Wii system menu, not the game.

Milpool

Darklord said:
Are the coins for anything else other than buying the videos? Is there much point going back and collecting all of them?

For each world you collect all the coins in, a level unlocks in world 9.

ShockingAlberto said:
I imagine because there's not very common reasons why you would jump on an idle turtle shell or bob-omb, but if you auto-picked up every ice block you came to, it could be frustrating to use them as platforms.
That's really just another bullet point on the list of reasons why a CC option would've been nice. The controls are perfectly serviceable as is, but I have to say there's nothing I couldn't see mapped just as well or better on the CC, and the bigger d-pad would've been awesome.

jarosh

can't think about anything but nsmb wii all day. i just can't wait to get home tonight and play more. haven't been this excited about playing a game in a looooong time.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
That's really just another bullet point on the list of reasons why a CC option would've been nice. The controls are perfectly serviceable as is, but I have to say there's nothing I couldn't see mapped just as well or better on the CC, and the bigger d-pad would've been awesome.
But it's not so

dexter.png

I played, beat, and enjoyed the game with the controller I used. Other options may have been nice, but I didn't find the wiimote to be a hindrance.

Garou

Got the game an beat World 1 already.

I even managed the infinite lives trick on the stairs in front of the flag at the end of the first swimming-level. I managed to pull it off at the first try, although I never got the timing right in any other Mario game before.

And Mario without his hat at 99 lives is a very nice touch.

OMG Aero

Drkirby said:
What the hell at the star coin in 2-2! Did anyone honestly figure out where it was on there own without the hint video?
Is that the one near the moving koopa platform and the checkpoint where you have to fall down a quicksand pit? I went down that until the screen stopped scrolling and when I saw there wasn't a pipe or anything there I decided it was a death pit. I raged so hard when I watched a video and found out you were meant to go down there. Mario games have always taught me that going off the bottom of the screen when there aren't coins leading there or an arrow sign is death.

zigg

OMG Aero said:
Is that the one near the moving koopa platform and the checkpoint where you have to fall down a quicksand pit? I went down that until the screen stopped scrolling and when I saw there wasn't a pipe or anything there I decided it was a death pit. I raged so hard when I watched a video and found out you were meant to go down there. Mario games have always taught me that going off the bottom of the screen when there aren't coins leading there or an arrow sign is death.

Well, the
length of the sand-waterfall
piqued my interest. From there it was a matter of "do I risk a life trying?"

It was definitely a tantalizing feature. Hadn't some past game done the same thing?

Akai

zigg said:
Well, the

It was definitely a tantalizing feature. Hadn't some past game done the same thing?

Yep, Super Mario Bros. 3...

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
zigg said:
Well, the

SMB3 did.

HUELEN10

I found these on that one "vidya" imageboard we all know about...
20j3j8g.png

24p9yxu.jpg

If this is what I think it is, then someone is using the level editor to remake the entire SMW!

:O

OMG Aero said:

Ditto, I even did it twice, hugging both walls from the bottom back up.

Marvie_3 said:
I had about 25 after World 1. Parts of World 2 dropped that number severely. :lol

Absolutely love this game though.

I had 43 lives at the end of world 1 and getting all the coins in world 2 severely dropped that number. If people want a challenge go for the coins.

zigg said:
Well, the

Just another great design choice.

Proven

Controller complaints seem weird to me. Maybe it's because I have a lot of Wii game experience, as well as everyone I've played with, so there's been virtually zero accidents. There's one guy who's so much of a newcomer the only other Wii game he's played is No More Heroes (we were having an argument and he decided to try and prove me wrong that way, ha) and he doesn't have any accidental motions either.

How many of you played Super Mario Galaxy, for comparison? The shake might be more sensitive than Galaxy since you'd disrupt D-Pad movement if you had to shake too hard, but seriously, got back and play that and tell us if you're having the same problems.

I do remember there was a way to reset the calibration in the controllers somehow. I Nintendo rep told me in a call many moons ago, but maybe you could try that out?

Either way, I want to have more games like this. The motion controls work like the purpose of shoulder buttons were: to allow for more commands at once. The thing is, with simple motion, I only need two thumbs that never have to move, rather than speeding across a controller and sometimes just missing the next button timing. It reminds me of Bayonetta, where the three commands you need in tandem are punch, kick, and dodge, and everything else is only needed when you're altering the flow of combat in some way (need to pick up an item, use an item, get height, taunt).

There is no loss of precision, and it feels good man.

OMG Aero said:

Ah, so it does go down. Mario games also teach that long alternate paths always lead to something. If there's death, it wouldn't come so slowly, and instead would be a sandpit that would only need two or three seconds to kill.

Ydahs

666 said:
Wait what? No classic controller support? Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.

zigg

Proven said:
How many of you played Super Mario Galaxy, for comparison?

I have and the spin jump there was pure perfection—never had any issues with it, it felt perfect from minute one.

NSMBW's shake took a little getting used to, in contrast. Could have been that the two-handed shake is a bit weirder than the side-swing that Galaxy used. But I mastered it fairly quickly and rather like it now.

Ydahs said:
Wait what? No classic controller support? Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.

Are you an expert on Mario culture?

Darklord

Banned
HUELEN10 said:
I found these on that one "vidya" imageboard we all know about...
20j3j8g.png

24p9yxu.jpg

If this is what I think it is, then someone is using the level editor to remake the entire SMW!

:O

Oh my god. 0_0

How could you play it though?

This game exceeded my expectations. I'm finally seeing why Nintendo stuck with the DS art. It is very eye catching on a big screen. Sure, I would have preferred a whole new look, but now I'm actually quite fond of the DS'ness.

Ranger X

Proven said:
Either way, I want to have more games like this. The motion controls work like the purpose of shoulder buttons were: to allow for more commands at once.

I have to disagree here. Some motion features are totally tacked on and could have been better and without using more buttons.
You could have picked up an ice block just like you pick up a koopa troopa. You press "down d-pad" to stomp you could have pressed "up D-pad" for a whirl. The spin jump for the propeller suit can be like a double jump, using button 2.

The coolest and almost justifiable use of motion is for those platforms -- those would have needed shoulder buttons.

Davey Cakes

bridegur said:
I have a couple minor complaints about the game, but it's amazing to me that Nintendo is still able to make Mario games comparable to the originals, but Sega can't make new Sonic games that come within a thousand miles of the first four in that series.
The difference between Sega and Nintendo on this front is that Nintendo knows where and how to innovate. They don't overdo it. They don't sacrifice quality in order to bring new ideas to the table, where Sega forces "innovation" into their games that really hurts the overall gameplay. I mean, with NSMB Wii, the biggest "innovation" for the series is the addition of a hectic and hilariously fun multiplayer mode. In terms of the rest of the game, it's just a matter of good level design and the addition of a few very balanced "suits" in order to keep things varied. Nintendo doesn't step outside the boundaries just for the sake of it, they step outside only when they know what they're doing will work for the benefit of their game.

Of course, Nintendo sometimes doesn't step far enough outside the box. For example, I thought NSMB DS was a fun platformer, but it REALLY played things safe. Then again, that may have been the point. The game was merely meant as a NEW iteration of a game purely in the Super Mario Brothers style, and there it succeeded. And, if anything, NSMB DS paved the way for NSMB Wii, which is a game of similar style, but also a game where pretty much everything was improved. Nintendo looked at what they had, and they found ways to build upon it without going too far. They fixed the flaws and enhanced the game. They did what was necessary. Some will still complain about a lack of innovation, but at least Nintendo didn't bring some overly-wacky ideas to the table and poorly implement them in NSMB Wii, thus royally screwing it all up.

And that's also where Sega (mostly Sonic Team) fails. They don't take a good thing, and then work with it and make it better. Whatever good comes out of there games is just thrown into the scrap pile in favor of new ideas that aren't necessary. I think Sonic Heroes was a fun game that felt almost like Sonic 2 in 3D, represented the Sonic universe very well, and could have been a stepping stone for a much improved sequel, but instead we got the likes of Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 2006 afterward. Then there's Sonic & the Secret Rings, which is one of my favorite games of 2007. What happened there? They took the basic formula, strapped it to the world of King Arthur, and once again stepped too far out of the box.

Ranger X

Rash said:
The difference between Sega and Nintendo on this front is that Nintendo knows where and how to innovate. They don't overdo it. They don't sacrifice quality in order to bring new ideas to the table, where Sega forces "innovation" into their games that really hurts the overall gameplay. I mean, with NSMB Wii, the biggest "innovation" for the series is the addition of a hectic and hilariously fun multiplayer mode. In terms of the rest of the game, it's just a matter of good level design and the addition of a few very balanced "suits" in order to keep things varied. Nintendo doesn't step outside the boundaries just for the sake of it, they step outside only when they know what they're doing will work for the benefit of their game.

Of course, Nintendo sometimes doesn't step far enough outside the box. For example, I thought NSMB DS was a fun platformer, but it REALLY played things safe. Then again, that may have been the point. The game was merely meant as a NEW iteration of a game purely in the Super Mario Brothers style, and there it succeeded.

Just goes to show how superior of a dev they are. *cries inside for the Sonic 4 that never was*.

Ydahs

zigg said:
Are you an expert on Mario culture?
Yes. If you screw the Nintendo fanbase over, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire market with this move.

Top Bottom