• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official New Super Mario Bros. Wii Thread

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
dallow_bg said:
Quick question.

How do lives on 2 player work?
Plan to play with my lady friend but expect her to die and get frustrated on harder levels.

Each player has their own stock of lives.

The level continues until all players die simultaneously or the last active player dies while respawning players are still trapped in bubbles. The bubble is both a safety net and a hazard.

If a player runs out of lives in a level they're locked out until the remaining players get 100 coins or a 1-up. Then the inactive players are respawned with one life to get back in the game.

It's possible to voluntarily go into a bubble and let other players get past a tough section. If all players go into a bubble on purpose you get sad music and the level boots you back out to the map. It's kind of an easter egg.

Kaijima said:
This is probably true :lol

However, on the whole, I think the Koopa Kids are one of the best parts of the game. Also, they seem to be doing their job right - I've talked to some people with kids who are playing the game, and you know what? The kids ADORE the Koopa Kids. They laugh at them and they're excited to get to the castles to fight them. They're memorable; one guy said his nephews wanted to see if a particular Koopa Kid showed up again after that world, he wanted to know what happened to him.

This is how you make fans (and gamers) for life. You get them to actually care about your game as more than a passing distraction until the next shiny thing.

It was said recently that we never truly recognize classic games as we're playing them because we're too busy playing them. Sometimes, I think, we stop and enthuse about all the bells and whistles in modern "experience" games because our mind is just so blown, but after we're done having our mind blown by the cinematics or set pieces, what else is left? Is there a core game under all that which we'll keep playing for 10 years?

People are still playing Super Mario Bros 3 today, right now, as we speak. Like, a lot of people.

Are there really tons of people playing Call of Duty 1 in single player, for its campaign? I mean, I'm sure there's someone. But how classic is it really?

Having finished NSMB Wii, I do feel that it's something I'll be playing again and again in the years to come. I suspect it's one of those games that will become increasingly well-regarded as time passes rather than forgotten about for the Next Big Thing. I have a shelf full of Huge Industry Event Games that I keep for the multiplayer mode but I know I won't frequently play again, if ever, for the campaign. There's just no reason to. When we see so many people talking with assurance about how "single player games are mutants that have outlived their time", it just makes me think "you're saying that because you are in reality a mediocre game designer and you can't make a timeless single player game."

At any rate, you might appreciate this: someone remarked not long ago that if you think about it, this being the first console 2D Mario game in 19 years, and it being released in time for Christmas, that means that for hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of children, they will be getting a Wii this christmas along with NSMB. This means that for an entire generation of children, for the first time since 1991, the first video game they play that is their very own in their own home will be Super Mario Bros. Well, that, and Wii Sports.

There's some math there and I believe it adds up to awesome.

Great post! I think you hit a lot of heads on a lot of nails here. GAF is just a strange beast overall, and I think you're right about these new players - they will enjoy the hell out of this game. It might spawn some similarly warm feelings to it as the years go on.

"You are just a mediocre game designer". This is it right here. Games like this and Mario Galaxy and Ocarina of Time basically dropped at just the right times in our industry's lifespan. At times when, as an observer, you feel things are stagnating. A great expression that we all can behind is when you hear someone say "We never knew we needed X until X arrived." This is precisely the case with those examples. The developers showcased such a masterful execution that you can barely refute what's on display. Which makes it doubly odd to come on to the interwebs and see folks being their usual jaded selves ;)

Anyway, it's nice to see like minds are out there.

There's a mentality out there (that is not uniquely GAF, but is far from removed from it) where people play games with the assumption that it starts out as a ten and every flaw removes X amount of points from it when they notice things they don't like.

With the culture we have here, when people notice these flaws, they come here to talk about them. They see people saying "Wow, this game is incredible!" and think to themselves "Wait, how can they say that and not mention X?"

This causes those issues they had to be a much bigger deal than even they thought they were. Because they think other people are glossing over those flaws, so the people complaining are the only ones who noticed how it really works.

It's a weird mentality.

-PXG-

Kaijima said:

However, on the whole, I think the Koopa Kids are one of the best parts of the game. Also, they seem to be doing their job right - I've talked to some people with kids who are playing the game, and you know what? The kids ADORE the Koopa Kids. They laugh at them and they're excited to get to the castles to fight them. They're memorable; one guy said his nephews wanted to see if a particular Koopa Kid showed up again after that world, he wanted to know what happened to him.

This is how you make fans (and gamers) for life. You get them to actually care about your game as more than a passing distraction until the next shiny thing.

It was said recently that we never truly recognize classic games as we're playing them because we're too busy playing them. Sometimes, I think, we stop and enthuse about all the bells and whistles in modern "experience" games because our mind is just so blown, but after we're done having our mind blown by the cinematics or set pieces, what else is left? Is there a core game under all that which we'll keep playing for 10 years?

People are still playing Super Mario Bros 3 today, right now, as we speak. Like, a lot of people.

Are there really tons of people playing Call of Duty 1 in single player, for its campaign? I mean, I'm sure there's someone. But how classic is it really?

Having finished NSMB Wii, I do feel that it's something I'll be playing again and again in the years to come. I suspect it's one of those games that will become increasingly well-regarded as time passes rather than forgotten about for the Next Big Thing. I have a shelf full of Huge Industry Event Games that I keep for the multiplayer mode but I know I won't frequently play again, if ever, for the campaign. There's just no reason to. When we see so many people talking with assurance about how "single player games are mutants that have outlived their time", it just makes me think "you're saying that because you are in reality a mediocre game designer and you can't make a timeless single player game."

At any rate, you might appreciate this: someone remarked not long ago that if you think about it, this being the first console 2D Mario game in 19 years, and it being released in time for Christmas, that means that for hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of children, they will be getting a Wii this christmas along with NSMB. This means that for an entire generation of children, for the first time since 1991, the first video game they play that is their very own in their own home will be Super Mario Bros. Well, that, and Wii Sports.

This almost brought a tear to me eye. God damn...So true.

dallow_bg said:
Quick question.

How do lives on 2 player work?
Plan to play with my lady friend but expect her to die and get frustrated on harder levels.
Kaijima covered most of it, but I'll add that if a player runs out of lives, even if you don't find a way to bring them back on the current stage, as soon as it's over (through everyone else dying or completion) they'll be restocked with lives and have 1 added to their Continue count.

Dr.Hadji

You know if you play SSBB on the level 1-1 stage, multiplayer with items it feels amazingly similar to NSMBWii. Which is to say multiplayer in both of those games feel like they come from the same mother. Nintendo chaotic (but not really so chaotic as it is crazy) multiplayer design at its best.

Ranger X

Vinci said:
I've actually stopped reading this thread for the most part due to all the nitpicking. It's making me start paying attention to little, trivial shit that had no impact on my enjoyment prior to hearing people mention it. It's like when people show you something and you can't unsee it.

At any rate, I agree. The nitpicking is a bit nuts on this title.

People are really obessed and we are becoming a Xannax driven society. People are so impatient than they are annoyed by a 2 sec or less difference between stuff.
Seriously, all I can think of is "get a fucking life". Society is too fast, I mean too stupid. It reflects everywhere from the dudes that can't wait you get out of the train before entering down to the fucking power-up menu speed in Mario. As you pretty much describe -- IT IS pathetic.

All the while this nitpicking gives a bad impression to people that read the thread. It's bad because it an EXTREME small minority that thanks to GAF can sound like thousands. Fact of the matter is that we are all playing right now a masterpiece of game design and fun.

dcdobson

-PXG- said:
This almost brought a tear to me eye. God damn...So true.
Yeah, especially when I think back and realize that I was that kid in 1991 playing my first video game (well, first video game game that I actually owned).

Kaijima said:

I agree with the bolded. I believe this game will be increasingly loved over time, especially by the kids where this is their first 2D Mario experience. Then, 10 years from now when they all join GAF they will be remenicing about the NSMBWii and how they hate the NSMBWii6 or something like that.

WTF, the secret exit that takes you to the World 6 -> World 8 warp cannon was also barely even hidden. Along with World 2 -> World 5, that's (at least) two warp cannons that can be found by simply entering a pipe that isn't particularly hard to notice or reach.

I have to wonder WTF everyone is thinking when they said this was supposed to be hard, I didn't even die once in World 6 :lol (Although I did die a handful of times in World 2 and 5) So far this is about on par with NSMB DS difficulty wise, or maybe even a little easier! (Still harder than SMW though). I'm not sure why people are lauding the stage gimmicks for being creative either, since most of them were heavily influenced by gimmicks from NSMB DS.

Ranger X

TheExecutive said:
I agree with the bolded. I believe this game will be increasingly loved over time, especially by the kids where this is their first 2D Mario experience. Then, 10 years from now when they all join GAF they will be remenicing about the NSMBWii and how they hate the NSMBWii6 or something like that.

A new healthy and awesome generation of gamers like us. :p
Only the playstation generation gamers falling in the cracks of irrelevance! :lol

Kai Dracon

ShockingAlberto said:
There's a mentality out there (that is not uniquely GAF, but is far from removed from it) where people play games with the assumption that it starts out as a ten and every flaw removes X amount of points from it when they notice things they don't like.

With the culture we have here, when people notice these flaws, they come here to talk about them. They see people saying "Wow, this game is incredible!" and think to themselves "Wait, how can they say that and not mention X?"

This causes those issues they had to be a much bigger deal than even they thought they were. Because they think other people are glossing over those flaws, so the people complaining are the only ones who noticed how it really works.

It's a weird mentality.

While there are much wider societal issues creating a culture of impatience and cynicism, I do believe that the game industry hype machine is partly to blame. These days we're told that every new big game is going to change your life and give you a blow job. Game hype is like that commercial for A Christmas Carol in Scrooged: all exploding volcanoes and a deep voice announcing that "if you miss this, you'll probably DIE."

When every video game is supposed to redefine the shores of reality itself and make our life worth living, how can people not begin to approach everything prejaded?

Plus, there's just the aspect that many of us are hardcore and we make our own hype; we're so excited about games that we build them up impossibly in our own minds.

EDIT: A thought about game hype... anyone realize how remarkable it is that NSMB Wii didn't exist in public mindshare until E3 this year? Unveiling to release in a few months.

In another thread, it was said that publishers don't like Nintendo because Nintendo can whip out an epic game from nowhere and derail their own careful hypetrain that's been chugging along for 2 years. Isn't there something wrong there? If their game was really so good, why would they need 2 years or in some cases, 5 years of hype and manipulation of public perception to make sure it sells?

Nintendo can whip out 2D Mario 4 months before it comes out and blow the world's collective lid. Intriguing.

Ranger X

Kaijima said:
Nintendo can whip out 2D Mario 4 months before it comes out and blow the world's collective lid. Intriguing.

Even more fascinating when you realise it's a pure platformer and in 2D on top of it all.
2 things that 99,9% of publishers out there never ever in a million year would greenlight.

Ranger X said:
People are really obessed and we are becoming a Xannax driven society. People are so impatient than they are annoyed by a 2 sec or less difference between stuff.
Seriously, all I can think of is "get a fucking life". Society is too fast, I mean too stupid. It reflects everywhere from the dudes that can't wait you get out of the train before entering down to the fucking power-up menu speed in Mario. As you pretty much describe -- IT IS pathetic.

All the while this nitpicking gives a bad impression to people that read the thread. It's bad because it an EXTREME small minority that thanks to GAF can sound like thousands. Fact of the matter is that we are all playing right now a masterpiece of game design and fun.

Oh, please. This isn't a matter of a few people being impatient so get that "get a fucking life" shit out of here. The critics here aren't "too fast" or "too stupid" so cut that shit out, too. You want to know why some people have problems with this game?

It's because there used to be a time in this industry where you could pop in a game and just play. No nonsense. No waiting. No bullshit tutorials. No instruction menus constantly popping-up in your face. There was a time in this industry where it was just you, the controller, and the game.

And that is why there's disappointment with certain elements of this game. Because the core gameplay suffers while a whole bunch of unnecessary, extraneous window dressings are thrown-in. And that's the truth. As great as the game is, NSMB Wii still feels and plays like an immense step back from the cold, hard precision of the NES games.

Don't sit there and imply we're out-of-line for being annoyed by that.

Vinci

Danish
The Blue Jihad said:
Oh, please. This isn't a matter of a few people being impatient so get that "get a fucking life" shit out of here. The critics here aren't "too fast" or "too stupid" so cut that shit out, too. You want to know why some people have problems with this game?

It's because there used to be a time in this industry where you could pop in a game and just play. No nonsense. No waiting. No bullshit tutorials. No instruction menus constantly popping-up in your face. There was a time in this industry where it was just you, the controller, and the game.

And that is why there's disappointment with certain elements of this game. Because the core gameplay suffers while a whole bunch of unnecessary, extraneous window dressings are thrown-in. And that's the truth. As great as the game is, NSMB Wii still feels and plays like an immense step back from the cold, hard precision of the NES games.

You must hate every single game released nowadays then, 'cause NSMB Wii's failings in those regards are minute compared to the cornucopia of nonsense we have to put up with in modern gaming these days.

The Blue Jihad said:

Tutorials and instruction menus? Did you mean to click on a different game thread?

nincompoop said:
Tutorials and instruction menus? Did you mean to click on a different game thread?

No, I'm referring to the pop-up windows in NSMB Wii:

"Hey, remember you can use items by hitting 1 on the map screen!"
"Hey, here's how you use the cannons for this mini-game!"
"Hey, here's what you're supposed to do for this cage-climbing mini-game!"

Having that shit pop-up as much as it does is just unnecessary. It's almost like the game isn't sure if the player knows anything.

The Blue Jihad said:

Having that shit pop-up as much as it does is just unnecessary. It's almost like the game isn't sure if the player knows anything.
Considering there's drop-in whenever you are on the world map, it does assume the player doesn't know anything. That's the point.

Ranger X

The Blue Jihad said:

Man, I should have knowned your opinion is the truth man, tks for sharing. :lol

Thing is, it's entirely subjective. Nothing distracts me from my experience and if we don't go on a specific games, there are GENRES out there and while I love plug and play I also enjoy stories, well done cut-scenes and that fancy menu from time to time. Gaming isn't just about the time it takes from booting to gameplay. This obsession about having NOTHING in the way except you controlling Mario in a level and the way you talk over there is much extreme. You're marginal at best.

Ranger X

The Blue Jihad said:

This thing specifically I agree that it's annoying. Nothing to really whine about though or shit on my experience.

The Blue Jihad said:

Totally disagree with the bold. Those little annoyances are overshadowed by what I would consider a triumph of level design. If people are complaining about the waiting after you die to get back into the same level shit, they are just looking for things to complain about. That's all there is to it. I dont care how anyone else spins it, bitching about useless shit is still bitching and nothing more. 99% of the world wont notices this shit, wanna know why? Because they play games to have fun not to have stuff to run back to a forum to complain about.

EDIT: This isn't directed at you personally, I am more venting about this forum. Sometimes it gets to me so dont take it personally.

The Blue Jihad said:

So your claim is that the core platforming gameplay suffers as a result of instruction menus popping up for minigames and overworld functions?

Ranger X said:

Okay. A couple of things.

Some people just have opinions different than others. Deal with it. Say you disagree. Don't say their opinion is stupid.

Second of all, it's a lot easier to say what is wrong with a game, or anything, for that matter, than it is to describe what's good about it. There's only so many times I can say, "This game is FANTASTIC!! It's a little like Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World, with some interesting new elements added in as well!" For me, it's the sum of the game's "little things" in addition to the overall NSMB style that makes this game, from what I've played so far a really, really awesome 8.5/10, if those qualifiers make sense. I'm really enjoying the game. Loving it. But it is not... SMG, for example, perfect, to me.

And something often topic, not specifically about NSMB: While I agree with the comment that retrospective often tells us what the greatest games of all time are, that's not always true. For example, playing Ocarina of Time, I knew that this was the best game I had ever played. I could go on with examples, but I think the point is clear.

ARGH! I really want to play more! Hopefully I'll get the guys gathered up to play again tonight while I work! :D :D

Zeliard

The Blue Jihad said:

Seems like pretty much every other Wii game. :p

We shouldn't be expecting games these days to allow us to just play. Since gaming is now much bigger than it's ever been, there are many completely new players, so we're seeing a lot more tutorials and various help in this gen across all of the consoles than we have in previous ones.

This impacts the Wii more than the 360 or PS3 due to a particularly large part of its userbase being relatively new to gaming. This is also why games in general are far easier than they used to be.

However, I don't see it as a downside or a negative - just a natural by-product of the times and circumstances. Tutorial boxes don't bother me because I know their function is to help those who haven't been gaming for 20 years like I have, and I know that they're likely succeeding in this.

Kai Dracon

Okay, random: seeing how NSMB Wii turned out, who would like to see New Legend of Zelda Wii which was a top-down view, 2.5d graphic ode to Link to the Past? Not an exact remake, just the whole NSMB thang.

However unlikely it is, I'm down with that.

Darklord

Banned
The Blue Jihad said:

"Hey, remember that this game is also aimed at 5 year old kids who have never played a 2D Mario game!"

Bananakin

Just for kicks, I decided to do some timing to compare SMB3 and NSMB Wii. I went into a random level, died on purpose, used a mushroom when I got back to the map, then went back into the level. I timed from the second I got hit and died, to the point when I was able to control Mario again after re-entering the level. It ended up taking about 9 seconds in SMB3, and 20 seconds in NSMB Wii (pretty consistently for the level I chose).

To me, that's a pretty significant difference. Again, though, the majority of the time this didn't bother me at all. It only was annoying when I was dying a lot on one level, and just wanted to jump right back into the level each time. And I know, I know, it's a disc based game so you can't expect the same loading times, but 1) that doesn't make it less annoying and 2) it isn't only due to loading, part of it is just poor choices by Nintendo.

I should say here that I really did enjoy the game - even loved it at times. This was a minor issue when compared to how good it was overall.

Ranger X

Mr. Wonderful said:
Okay. A couple of things.

Some people just have opinions different than others. Deal with it. Say you disagree. Don't say their opinion is stupid.

Well, It's my opinion that parts of our society is stupid. You shouldn't take it personal, it's not directed personally to someone, it's a general comment. My opinion is just my opinion while the other guy that answered me before you said his opinion is "the truth". lawl.

Vinci

Danish
Kaijima said:
Okay, random: seeing how NSMB Wii turned out, who would like to see New Legend of Zelda Wii which was a top-down view, 2.5d graphic ode to Link to the Past? Not an exact remake, just the whole NSMB thang.

I'd love it. There'd actually be something to do more often. Other than, you know... traveling. Across another open field. With an enemy here and there.

Ranger X

Kaijima said:

Would buy this in a hearbeat.

Kaijima said:

Um, YES

farnham

Banned
Kaijima said:

go and buy 4 swords adventure

Ranger X said:
Man, I should have knowned your opinion is the truth man, tks for sharing. :lol

Thing is, it's entirely subjective. Nothing distracts me from my experience and if we don't go on a specific games, there are GENRES out there and while I love plug and play I also enjoy stories, well done cut-scenes and that fancy menu from time to time. Gaming isn't just about the time it takes from booting to gameplay. This obsession about having NOTHING in the way except you controlling Mario in a level and the way you talk over there is much extreme. You're marginal at best.

Haha, it's fine with me either way.

Now, here's the caveat with what you said. This game isn't just some random game. The developer isn't just some random developer. The franchise isn't just some random franchise. This is supposed to be a throwback to old-school NES Mario games. There's an immense pedigree.

That pedigree is what highlights all the little faults of NSMB Wii. It's trying to emulate certain elements of the original games but it misses the biggest reason why people played and still play those games today: the gameplay. That tight, precise control. The responsiveness. The fact that it's just you, the game, and the controller. Being able to crank through one level after another without any downtime between. Settling into a rhythm of jumps due to you and nothing else affecting Mario's movement.

It's that kind of stuff that made the games great. Not the graphics or little flourishes.

So that's where I and a lot of other people are coming from, I'd say. And that's why I take issue with people implying we're just bitching about little shit. Because it's not really little shit within the context of this pedigree.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
To be honest, there is only one tiny thing that annoys me about the game. There is nothing to let you know which levels have the extra exits like Mario World. This is some tips off at peach's castle, but it doesn't list every level that has an extra exit.

And to be honest, that is really the only thing I think that in the long run I think is going to be a problem for me. 16:9 is easy to get used to, and its only a matter of time till I have a TV that supports it, and local multiplayer works great the way it is (Heck, I am banking on the games multiplayer to let me get some people to also play the GBA Link Cable games with me too :lol)

Even more fascinating when you realise it's a pure platformer and in 2D on top of it all.
2 things that 99,9% of publishers out there never ever in a million year would greenlight.
I love the subtitle blend of 2D and 3D of the game. In till you put it in an emulator and up the resolution, its hard to tell whats a sprite and whats a 3D model.

Also, on a random note, did anyone else feel that one set of ? Blocks that were cylinders rather then boxes were just placed there because they had the model made up but no level for it to go?

Ranger X

The Blue Jihad said:
Now, here's the caveat with what you said. This game isn't just some random game. The developer isn't just some random developer. The franchise isn't just some random franchise. This is supposed to be a throwback to old-school NES Mario games. There's an immense pedigree.

See? We take a deep dive right in the pool of subjectivity right there.
I don't think it's all that exigeant and deep to make an oldschool game and today when you design a game there's alot more things you need to look into than in NES times. Right now, this Mario game is an extremely effective and hardcore example of a retro-ish game done right. I can't help but feel like you're over focusing on certain things and lots of "supposed to bes". This is expectations and I don't play expectations, I play games for what they are.

Ranger X said:
See? We take a deep dive right in the pool of subjectivity right there.
I don't think it's all that exigeant and deep to make an oldschool game and today when you design a game there's alot more things you need to look into than in NES times. Right now, this Mario game is an extremely effective and hardcore example of a retro-ish game done right. I can't help but feel like you're over focusing on certain things and lots of "supposed to bes". This is expectations and I don't play expectations, I play games for what they are.

I don't know if that bolded part could be any further from the truth, because during the NES days, all you had was gameplay. The graphics and story didn't matter as long as the gameplay as solid. More developers need to follow that model today.

Ranger X

The Blue Jihad said:
I don't know if that bolded part could be any further from the truth, because during the NES days, all you had was gameplay. The graphics and story didn't matter as long as the gameplay as solid. More developers need to follow that model today.

What I mean is that today there are devellopment guidelines that are much more evolved and the audience is broader than ever. Back in the day you could have a great gameplay and simply sort of throw a game out there just like that.
Today you need much more complicated and wide marketing, clear tutorials and objectives (unless you target hardcore gamers only) and no this is not all simple like back in the days, as sad as it sounds.

Kard8p3

I just beat the game and now I can say this is my favorite Mario game. The level design trumps everything that's come before it in 2D Mario and the new power-ups have earned a spot with the greatest of Mario power-ups. The bosses while for the most part nothing special were still pretty cool and the last boss was epic (I hate using that word these days but it's true.)

I think the music is great as well with some great remixes and some new themes that are quite memorable. The new castle theme is my favorite new theme but the Koopalings battle 2 theme is great as well.

it was great to see the return of the airships/doomships (whichever name you prefer.) I liked that the first and last airship level didn't auto scroll but having it in the second on did add to the nostalgia for me. I loved the beginning of the third where they had the cannons firing all over the place and they screwed me over a couple times. The boss battles on the airship levels are great and I love how all of them use a koopa clown car but they were all different. These levels were just great overall but I would've liked to see a couple more.

So yeah this game is amazing and has gone to the top of my 2D Mario list.

Ranger X said:
What I mean is that today there are devellopment guidelines that are much more evolved and the audience is broader than ever. Back in the day you could have a great gameplay and simply sort of throw a game out there just like that.
Today you need much more complicated and wide marketing, clear tutorials and objectives (unless you target hardcore gamers only) and no this is not all simple like back in the days, as sad as it sounds.

Eh, the trick isn't adding tutorials, objectives, marketing, etc. The trick is reducing down. Distill the game to its most fundamental elements and go from there. If people can just pick up and play, they'll play.

Reason why I do enjoy NSMB Wii in light of its flaws: it's a step back in the right direction.

Kaijima said:

Years ago EGM reviewed Katamari Damacy and Sly Cooper 2 in the same issue. Sly 2 received better scores. I remember at the time my bud Bobby Conover made a post on the old forum pointing out that no one would remember Sly 2 in a year, while Katamari would be around forever. I was skeptical, cuz Sly 1 was a pretty sweet game so 2 would probably be even better, right? Well, no. It sucked, and no one was talking about it a month later, nevermind a year. Shit, barely anyone remembers Sly 1 now. I dug it a lot then but now all I remember are spotlights and minigames and overly guided jumps. Yet I remember every stage and song and cutscene in Katamari and I smile every time I think about it.

So yeah, you're right. I guess this happens with every medium but video game fans are a special breed of sad.

I've been thinking about this too. I think anyone bitching about the lack of Mario "magic" is a total loon. If there's no magic it's because you're no longer an 8 year old kid. If I WAS an 8 year old kid I am pretty sure I would be flipping the fuck out over this game. The kind of flipping out that you remember fondly rather than shamefully. Cuz I know there was a lot of stuff I flipped out over that brings shame nowadays!

Zeliard said:
Seems like pretty much every other Wii game. :p
Or every other modern game. No need to single out the Wii! It's rare to find a new game that isn't loaded with tutorial text. Though I guess you said that!

I'm also surprised by the bitching because the game has no real tutorial. It doesn't explain how to wall jump or butt stomp or triple jump or double jump off Yoshi or slide as the penguin or slide down hills or, y'know, anything other than how to play minigames and use items. Yet Super Mario World had those tutorial boxes scattered throughout the game. Here you have a few boxes that pop up from time to time that I always dismiss before I have time to read them. Big fucking deal.

I agree getting booted to the world map takes too long but it wasn't exactly speedy in the other games either.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
This game is an absolute blast to play - love it. Not sure if I was a better player when I was younger, but this game seems a little more difficult than smw and I am only on level 2

Ranger X

The Blue Jihad said:
Eh, the trick isn't adding tutorials, objectives, marketing, etc. The trick is reducing down. Distill the game to its most fundamental elements and go from there. If people can just pick up and play, they'll play.

Reason why I do enjoy NSMB Wii in light of its flaws: it's a step back in the right direction.

But not everygame can be like that. I was speaking "videogames" not just Mario for that specific point. The different between Mario NES and Mario now is that it was more an hardcore experience back in the day and now they want it "for everybody".
Non-gamers and casual gamers are now targeted, clearly targeted I should say. You'd need to see a real new gamer going to truly understand. Looking at my girlfriend starting to play videogames is nothing short of amazing for instance. She's constantly stuck in Zelda because she doesn't think like an experienced gamer. Cracked walls doesn't equal putting a bomb there. A torch unlit beside a door doesn't mean "when you lit this up the door will open. She's blocked as soon as there's stuff that is too abstract. Stuff that can look absurd for us gamers but I really can't blame her. Mario Bros isn't intuitive for her either, this type of game can require a tutorial for many people and children. That's why Nintendo does it.

vesp

The game is pretty awesome except that the shaking mechanic (especially the 1+shake to pick shit up part) is god awful and the lack of aliasing really ruins the otherwise charming graphics. This is one of the games that will look and play about 100x better on an emulator with internal resolution scaling, AA options, and mappable keys to allow the shaking to be a button press.

Yeah the shaking is way too sensitive. I died a few times on level 8-3 because the game thought I shook when I didn't and it led him directly into the lava. Before that I hadn't died since World 5. Did I mention that this game is way too easy?

Kard8p3

nincompoop said:
Did I mention that this game is way too easy?

This is very wrong. Before getting this I played through all the 2D (not counting lost levels) games and only died once in the first game. 3 I was surprised to find was a whole lot easier than I remembered. The only parts that were somewhat difficult were the ship levels of world 8 and they weren't that bad. Then we have Super Mario World which was always really easy. NSMBW however was surprisingly difficult for me. Not super hard or anything but just more difficult than expected. This along with everything else about NSMBW is what makes it my new favorite 2D Mario game.

Ranger X

Vinci said:
I can't recall a time when shaking was an issue for me. Maybe some of you folks drink too much coffee.

Sometimes it happen for me just pressing some button or d-pad. Seriously, its very sensitive, I would have liked a sensitivity option.
It does happen less for me though after it's been a couple of hours I play since a got the game.

Top Bottom