The Official "Real-Time with Bill Maher" Thread

Woah, some real hate for Maher in this thread. The guy is obviously guilty of a lot of simplistic, decontextualized thought, but his views do show some effort of critical thinking and he's a good provocateur of interesting discussion. New Rules killed this week, by the way.
 
Yep, I really enjoyed the show (watched a DVR recording a little while ago).

Interesting question about what to do with Afghanistan at this point. I wish they had flushed the though out more because they all seemed to forget that if we leave, the leadership who gave aid and comfort to the terrorists will return. And while they may return eventually anyway, we don't want to create a situation where we leave Afghanistan to do more strikes in Pakistan...only for those terrorists to simply pack up and move back to Afghanistan.

The region as a whole will be a complicated mess for a long time to come.
 
ViperVisor said:
Janeane Garofalo is on the show this week. Don't recognize any name as a conservative which is too bad cause she has no problem dropping truth bombs on them.
Ugh. I like Janeane Garofalo as a comic. But she's not very interesting with political talk. She often doesn't know what she is talking about and it is more of an emotional thing for her. She just knows those conservatives are wrong and they are all racist. With such over-broadstroke 'arguments', Janeane is the one who comes off looking bad.
 

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
speculawyer said:
Ugh. I like Janeane Garofalo as a comic. But she's not very interesting with political talk. She often doesn't know what she is talking about and it is more of an emotional thing for her. She just knows those conservatives are wrong and they are all racist. With such over-broadstroke 'arguments', Janeane is the one who comes off looking bad.
Agree in general, but I just got done watching today's episode, and when it came to the Wiener controversy, it was pretty sad to see that she was the voice of reason. Everyone including Bill Maher threw Wiener under the bus (actually, Jane Lynch sided with Garofolo too). Pathetic imo.
 
I wouldn't say Maher threw Wiener under the bus, Maher's a comedian first and the whole thing is pretty much a goldmine to him. He's acknowledged he doesn't want Wiener to quit.

The other 2 panelists were well and truly in the bus-throwing-under brigade. Someone mentioned he needed 'rehabilitation', the fuck? He didn't do anything wrong, he's just being a guy who's obviously hard up for sexual release -- of which I could say the same thing for about 100 million Americans.
 
lexi said:
I wouldn't say Maher threw Wiener under the bus, Maher's a comedian first and the whole thing is pretty much a goldmine to him. He's acknowledged he doesn't want Wiener to quit.

The other 2 panelists were well and truly in the bus-throwing-under brigade. Someone mentioned he needed 'rehabilitation', the fuck? He didn't do anything wrong, he's just being a guy who's obviously hard up for sexual release -- of which I could say the same thing for about 100 million Americans.
Oh man, that was so rich. That and the "I can't discuss Weiner around the dinner table with my kids" thing. Heh, I don't think you would have anyway, lady.
 
lexi said:
I wouldn't say Maher threw Wiener under the bus, Maher's a comedian first and the whole thing is pretty much a goldmine to him. He's acknowledged he doesn't want Wiener to quit.

The other 2 panelists were well and truly in the bus-throwing-under brigade. Someone mentioned he needed 'rehabilitation', the fuck? He didn't do anything wrong, he's just being a guy who's obviously hard up for sexual release -- of which I could say the same thing for about 100 million Americans.
Sad this is going to start becoming acceptable. For all intents and purposes, he cheated on his wife. He didn't just send pictures, he engaged these real people, had phone sex with them, etc.
 
xcrunner529 said:
Sad this is going to start becoming acceptable. For all intents and purposes, he cheated on his wife. He didn't just send pictures, he engaged these real people, had phone sex with them, etc.
It not worthy of ending a politician's career. This isn't John Edwards level stuff here. It's tamer then stuff that happens in middle school.
 

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Flying_Phoenix said:
Just watched this weeks episode.

Jesus Ann Colter and Maher where trolling the living fuck out of each other. That whole ending segment was just one huge troll on Ann.
They probably love each other... they provide endless material for one another.
 
Coulter's haughty giggle was driving me mental when I watched the episode.

Also, I really hope that quack accepts his challenge and appears on his show. That would be great television.
 
I didn't like his ending monologue. It came off as more emotion than logic, which is sad because I've always liked about Maher. He can balance both very well in a single statement.
 

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
CF_Fighter said:
I didn't like his ending monologue. It came off as more emotion than logic, which is sad because I've always liked about Maher. He can balance both very well in a single statement.
Yeah I could've done withing the linking to the murder trial.
 
CF_Fighter said:
I didn't like his ending monologue. It came off as more emotion than logic, which is sad because I've always liked about Maher. He can balance both very well in a single statement.
Yep, the ending piece didn't work because Casey Anthony wasn't proven guilty, so she should have been acquitted. The jury made the right decision.

The whole episode was almost unwatchable due to Ann Coulter.
 
CF_Fighter said:
I didn't like his ending monologue. It came off as more emotion than logic, which is sad because I've always liked about Maher. He can balance both very well in a single statement.
He was trolling Ann. That was way too out of character for Bill.

BigJonsson said:
Maher and Coulter are friends, its not a secret
That or friendly trolls.
 
I never thought Ann Coulter was so uninformed as I did Friday night. She just said crap, was called on it and then couldn't do anything about it (Bill being a misogynist, US bombing Egypt, etc.) Very hard to watch.

However, I sort of enjoyed how lighthearted Bill was being but I assume that's just because him and Ann are friends (and/or doing it). Still enjoyable though, but not up there with the best episodes
 
xcrunner529 said:
I never thought Ann Coulter was so uninformed as I did Friday night. She just said crap, was called on it and then couldn't do anything about it (Bill being a misogynist, US bombing Egypt, etc.) Very hard to watch.

However, I sort of enjoyed how lighthearted Bill was being but I assume that's just because him and Ann are friends (and/or doing it). Still enjoyable though, but not up there with the best episodes
I can't believe I watched her literally say, with a smile on her face, that government employees were "not getting laid off." Lucky for her when your job is blatant manipulation and spiteful antagonism, you don't need to worry about job security.
 
Right, I know education isn't quite government, but we are having to deal with losing a lot of state funds, we are being asked to pay 2% more of our paychecks into our retirement over this bogus state retirement complaints (negating last year's raise) and yet somehow we're "booming". Total BS. The University actually made a retirement deal so they wouldn't have to lay off and there's tons of people taking them up on it due to scary changes potentially ahead. Ugh.

Seriously, for most republicans I'm pretty sure it's a religion thing. They don't really believe or understand republican ideals - they (including my parents) just vote "with God" and it's crap.
 
SolKane said:
I can't believe I watched her literally say, with a smile on her face, that government employees were "not getting laid off." Lucky for her when your job is blatant manipulation and spiteful antagonism, you don't need to worry about job security.
Yeah, that was probably the funniest moment of the entire show. And of course she didn't have the grace to acknowledge her error when it was swiftly proven.
 
The worst part was when she said that 500,000 government jobs were insanely too much. This is a country of over 300,000,000. Even if you cut the employed by half you still have 1 in 300 people who are employed have a government job.

xcrunner529 said:
I never thought Ann Coulter was so uninformed as I did Friday night. She just said crap, was called on it and then couldn't do anything about it (Bill being a misogynist, US bombing Egypt, etc.) Very hard to watch.

However, I sort of enjoyed how lighthearted Bill was being but I assume that's just because him and Ann are friends (and/or doing it). Still enjoyable though, but not up there with the best episodes
I highly doubt it that they are fucking. I mean Maher dates women in their late 20's or early 30's. Also Bill was just playing cool since he was on live fucking television.
 

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I thought Bill New Rules last week was awesome, actually. Best part was Coulter didn't even have a halfway decent rebuttal to it during overtime.

firehawk12 said:
I thought she hated him after he brought out Chris Rock to shit on her during the first or second episode?
I wish I could see that full episode. There's only like 2 or 3 minute clips on the youtubes. :(
 

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Disappointed this thread doesn't get more attention :( does GAF not receive Maher well? I think he's hilarious, and doesn't hold back any punches which is great to see. I thought tonight was another good episode, his second guest the comedian who has a podcast was hilarious, is anyone here familiar with him? I'll probably check out his podcast sometime soon.
 

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Ghost_Protocol said:
Bill Maher is exactly what I'm glad Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert are not. An insufferable, overly liberal, smartass, unfunny douche.
I think he's pretty hilarious, and for someone who is an "overly liberal, smartass, unfunny douche" he seems to allow a lot of conservative viewpoints on his show, and takes no issue with tearing into democrats, and calling out their lack of a pair of balls.
 
Red_Man said:
Disappointed this thread doesn't get more attention :( does GAF not receive Maher well? I think he's hilarious, and doesn't hold back any punches which is great to see. I thought tonight was another good episode, his second guest the comedian who has a podcast was hilarious, is anyone here familiar with him? I'll probably check out his podcast sometime soon.
Marc Maron's podcast is excellent. Necessary for any comedy nerd.
 
Red_Man said:
Disappointed this thread doesn't get more attention :( does GAF not receive Maher well? I think he's hilarious, and doesn't hold back any punches which is great to see. I thought tonight was another good episode, his second guest the comedian who has a podcast was hilarious, is anyone here familiar with him? I'll probably check out his podcast sometime soon.
You mean Marc Maron? I thought the whole internets was familiar with the WTF Podcast. All the interviews are great but my favourites would have to be the Louis CK and Robin Williams sit-downs, although there's a whole bucket-load more of interesting stuff--especially the likes of Gallagher and Carlos Mencia revealing themselves to be as dodgy as their reputations suggest.
 

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Tim the Wiz said:
You mean Marc Maron? I thought the whole internets was familiar with the WTF Podcast. All the interviews are great but my favourites would have to be the Louis CK and Robin Williams sit-downs, although there's a whole bucket-load more of interesting stuff--especially the likes of Gallagher and Carlos Mencia revealing themselves to be as dodgy as their reputations suggest.
Just a second....is he the guy who had Louis CK on and they called donal rumsfeld, and Louis asked him like 10 times if he was a space lizard? cause that shit was hilarious.

JCX said:
Marc Maron's podcast is excellent. Necessary for any comedy nerd.
I am a pretty big comedy nerd so I'll definitely check it out, thanks fro the impressions guys.
 
Alright episode. Kind of boring. Not sure what Cuban's political ideology as though.

Tim the Wiz said:
You mean Marc Maron? I thought the whole internets was familiar with the WTF Podcast. All the interviews are great but my favourites would have to be the Louis CK and Robin Williams sit-downs, although there's a whole bucket-load more of interesting stuff--especially the likes of Gallagher and Carlos Mencia revealing themselves to be as dodgy as their reputations suggest.
This show is great!

Red_Man said:
I think he's pretty hilarious, and for someone who is an "overly liberal, smartass, unfunny douche" he seems to allow a lot of conservative viewpoints on his show, and takes no issue with tearing into democrats, and calling out their lack of a pair of balls.
While Maher has his shitty moments, I mean he is overspoken at times, but at least he is well spoken. Stewart and Colbert rarely call people who aren't on Fox News out.
 
Ghost_Protocol said:
Bill Maher is exactly what I'm glad Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert are not. An insufferable, overly liberal, smartass, unfunny douche.
Colbert is a one note gimmick. A gimmick he has rode throughout the entire duration of his show. Stewart used to be good until all of his jokes boiled down to mugging toward the camera and making silly faces like Jim off of The Office.
 
Colbert can be funnier than Maher at times, but Jon Stewart is a hack who should've retired years ago. I loved when Maher called Stewart out for his stupid "both sides do it" equivocation from that terrible rally.

Back on topic, last night's show was a nice return to form after the previous week's Ann Coulter debacle. I knew it was going to be good once I saw that Dan Savage and Marc Maron were both going to be guests.

Everyone who said that WTF is an amazing podcast is correct. It's one of my favorites, and one of the few podcasts that I've listened to every episode of.
 
dead souls said:
Colbert can be funnier than Maher at times, but Jon Stewart is a hack who should've retired years ago. I loved when Maher called Stewart out for his stupid "both sides do it" equivocation from that terrible rally.
Stewart is an incredibly smart individual. His debate and wit skills are so strong he can shut Bill O' Reily up in nearly any topic.

The problem with Stewart is that his show is way too timid, juvenile, and focuses almost solely on entertainment purposes. Its the reason why I left the "Daily Duo" and mostly watch Real-Time. I would kill to see John Stewart get his own show like Real-Time or even a more "serious"news show. Alas it will never happen since The Daily Show is so successful. It would be an idiotic career move.

And yes that rally was a joke. They could have so easily done their own progressive rally and ended up getting a mish mash about jack shit.