• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official "Real-Time with Bill Maher" Thread

Flying_Phoenix said:
Being fair, 60% of Maher's jokes on his show result to either Sarah Palin, Michele Bachman, or George Bush being stupid.

With much more insightful jokes.

The Palin, Bachman, and Bush jokes are more or less matter of fact observations. I'll admit that they're easy targets, but they're the ones that provide endless fodder.

Maher has some screwy beliefs (food, vaccinations, beyond pro Israel) but he's also not afraid to go after Democrats and call people out on their bullshit. He rarely has an agenda.

SolKane said:
I can't believe I watched her literally say, with a smile on her face, that government employees were "not getting laid off." Lucky for her when your job is blatant manipulation and spiteful antagonism, you don't need to worry about job security.

Yeah, it was pretty shocking. She would be a great psychology project. How can someone be so apparently functional/intelligent (she has written several books and she is a lawyer) be some amazing misinformed and completely out of touch with reality. I think she has built such a successful career being out of touch with reality that she subconsciously and willfully believes that world. If she actually knew and believe what is true reality, her policy views would be (and actually are) completely unsupportable.

If you actually think government employees have not been laid off, that Obama bombed Egypt, and a million other right-wing falsehoods then some of her views might make sense . . . but those are not the facts such that her views are just complete garbage.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Can't remember what exactly it was that she said, but she had some really nice gems on Overtime as well. I understand having conservatives with some 'out there' beliefs on his show, but why even give this hate-filled, shit-brained whackjob a microphone and airtime? Please don't have her on your panel again, Bill. :-/

Looking forward to watching this week's, though. Huge fan of Marc Maron.

Coulter trolls a lot. Either that or she is unbelievably stupid. I think she's the type that spouts out random bullshit to get a rise out of people. She probably doesn't believe even half of what she is saying.

speculawyer said:
Yeah, it was pretty shocking. She would be a great psychology project. How can someone be so apparently functional/intelligent (she has written several books and she is a lawyer) be some amazing misinformed and completely out of touch with reality. I think she has built such a successful career being out of touch with reality that she subconsciously and willfully believes that world. If she actually knew and believe what is true reality, her policy views would be (and actually are) completely unsupportable.

If you actually think government employees have not been laid off, that Obama bombed Egypt, and a million other right-wing falsehoods then some of her views might make sense . . . but those are not the facts such that her views are just complete garbage.

No government jobs being lost reminded me of this.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Flying_Phoenix said:
Thoughts on last night's episode?

Good episode overall. I'm glad everyone piled on Nick Gellespie (sp?) when talking about how the Reps spent all the money and left the Dems with the bill. Also, good on Maher for pointing out that 'independent' voters are largely a mythical force.

Zeliard

Heh, Gillespie is an asshole.

John Fetterman says "I'm mayor of the poorest town in Pennsylvania" before going on to elaborate on his point, and Gillespie interrupts him to go "well you must be very proud." Awk-ward.

sruckus

Gillespie matches every libertarian I've come across. Always think they're better and more intelligent that the others. The new hipsters.

xcrunner529 said:
Gillespie matches every libertarian I've come across. Always think they're better and more intelligent that the others. The new hipsters.

Yep, he's a complete piece of shit.

I'm not sure why Bill wanted to have the "Fonzie of Freedom" on his show, nor why he let him monopolize the entire panel.

NYR

xcrunner529 said:
Spot fucking on. Kudos, great post.

Farooq

Banned
Zeliard said:

John Fetterman says "I'm mayor of the poorest town in Pennsylvania" before going on to elaborate on his point, and Gillespie interrupts him to go "well you must be very proud." Awk-ward.

That was such a douchey thing to say. Maybe he was trying to get some laughs, but honestly let the man finish his point.

Also, I have come to conclusion that the show is a lot better with two guests rather than three. The shows I have seen with two guests, they generally have less interruptions, more time for someone to lay his/her points and the debates are less fragmented and simply flow from topic to topic a lot better.

I hope they consider a two guest option, I think the show would be vastly improved, especially during the segments where they are talking about and debating issues.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Zeliard said:

Yea, I've never heard of this guy before, but when he said that he came across as mega-douche, not that anything he said before didn't already imply that.

ThisWreckage said:
The Palin, Bachman, and Bush jokes are more or less matter of fact observations. I'll admit that they're easy targets, but they're the ones that provide endless fodder.

Maher has some screwy beliefs (food, vaccinations, beyond pro Israel) but he's also not afraid to go after Democrats and call people out on their bullshit. He rarely has an agenda.

The problem is, is that he's still making Bush jokes, years after the nitwit left office. That dead horse has been beaten now what what? Roughly 10 years? That well has run dry IMHO. There's far more fun people for him to sink his teeth these days, but since he's got this raging hard-on for anything that even remotely resembles something "Right-wing from what I, Bill Mahr, believe in....." Seriously. I'm a fair game person when it comes down to makin' fun of schmucks out there, but he's ridden that horse too long.

Red_Man said:
I think he's pretty hilarious, and for someone who is an "overly liberal, smartass, unfunny douche" he seems to allow a lot of conservative viewpoints on his show, and takes no issue with tearing into democrats, and calling out their lack of a pair of balls.

At one point in time, I LOVED his comedy. Sure, he was a liberal (wherein at the time, I was a "Tried & True Conservative Republican", now a Libertarian), but when he was funny.....he was funny. But when I flip on his show and I see how horribly far to the left he's gone, that most of his joke are something I just drum my fingers to the side of my chin with a "Oh, that joke again. Hmm..what else is on?" With me watching Stewart as much as I do, you'd think I'd get a kick outta Maher? Nah.

sruckus

DiatribeEQ said:
At one point in time, I LOVED his comedy. Sure, he was a liberal (wherein at the time, I was a "Tried & True Conservative Republican", now a Libertarian), but when he was funny.....he was funny. But when I flip on his show and I see how horribly far to the left he's gone, that most of his joke are something I just drum my fingers to the side of my chin with a "Oh, that joke again. Hmm..what else is on?" With me watching Stewart as much as I do, you'd think I'd get a kick outta Maher? Nah.

He didn't move. The right did.

Moofers

I had no idea there was a GAF thread for this. Bookmarked!

I like watching the show each week. Haven't caught the most recent ep yet, but its good to see people on here as shocked as I was at Ann Coulter's hateful bullshit remarks. I have a hard time accepting that there is a fanbase out there for her nonsense. People actually believe what she says? Mind blown.

Flying_Phoenix said:
To be fair, Maher does cover up some of his more "balanced" beliefs due to his very liberal audience.

You can tell he has urges to talk about his support for profiling muslims (not giving my opinion on this). You still see obvious tidbits of this. And even then so he sneaks it out sometimes. But hey he's gotta get ratings.

Bill rarely tries to cover up his islamophobia, and it has lead to him saying some pretty stupid shit and having some pretty terrible guests on his show. The idea that he tempers it in order to get ratings is laughable.

Zeliard said:

What was awesome there is Fetterman was ready to kick his smug ass all over the parking lot.

Moofers

Just watched last week's show. Holy shit, you guys weren't kidding about Gillespie. What an asshole. I hope they never have him back. If they do, at least have somebody who's a bigger loudmouth than him so they can shout him down. Sheesh.

jmdajr

Red_Man said:
I think he's pretty hilarious, and for someone who is an "overly liberal, smartass, unfunny douche" he seems to allow a lot of conservative viewpoints on his show, and takes no issue with tearing into democrats, and calling out their lack of a pair of balls.

agreed

Big-E

I have avoided Fox News videos for a long time but watched that video posted above. Holy fucking shit it is so bad. Can't call people a Milf on a comedy show? Jesus fuck.

EDIT: OMG he called somebody a cunt! Oh the humanity! Puts me in a rage that there are people like this.

demon

Thoughts on tonight's episode?

I thought it was just decent, but wasn't a big fan of the panel. I think if you watched every episode of this show on mute, you could spot the batshit Republican 9 times out of 10 by the shit-eating grin they have plastered on their face. Works like a charm.

Also, as much as I absolutely love Bryan Cranston, I've always found him to be a bit of a dull guest on talk shows.

Red_Man

demon said:

I thought it was just decent, but wasn't a big fan of the panel. I think if you watched every episode of this show on mute, you could spot the batshit Republican 9 times out of 10 by the shit-eating grin they have plastered on their face. Works like a charm.

Also, as much as I absolutely love Bryan Cranston, I've always found him to be a bit of a dull guest on talk shows.

Yea I was pretty depressed by what Cranston brought, or didn't bring to the table, although the quip about the dudes sideburns was great, you knew everyone wanted to say something about them.

Oblivion

demon said:

I thought it was one of the better episodes. Both Maher and Spitzer mentioned things that I wish more of the media did. Though sadly one complaint I had was that Bill surprisingly didn't discuss the debt ceiling very much, which I thought would be pretty important.

demon

Oblivion said:
I thought it was one of the better episodes. Both Maher and Spitzer mentioned things that I wish more of the media did. Though sadly one complaint I had was that Bill surprisingly didn't discuss the debt ceiling very much, which I thought would be pretty important.
Yeah Spitzer was a really good guest, I just get tired of the obnoxious, loony right-wingers Maher has on the show just for the sake of having someone from the other side. Hoover contributed nothing but noise, IMO. When it comes to that, I'd rather there just be two panelists. Not that the tea party guy said anything more agreeable, but at least he didn't come off as some zany shouting Fox News talking head like Hoover did.

-edit-
Overtime is interesting. Mutton Chops Matt the teabagger really can't say a damn thing without making him look like a delusional fool.
and lol at the closing words

demon said:

Absolutely. I think they have a hard time spewing nonsense talking points with a straight face when the audience actually calls them on it. Also, I think Bill needs to exercise more control over his panel. The last few weeks have had too much wild stupidity.

Oblivion

The money quote was when Maher said that even a 90% tax rate wasn't enough to drive Hoover and Kibbe out of the country.

Red_Man said:
At least the conservative chick was hot.

That's the only reason Bill has idiots like her on I think.

Other than that it was a pretty good show. Spitzer was great and Cranston was amusing.

I don't know much about Spitzer but he seemed really sharp to me.

Someone needs to explore the correlation between conservatism and the attractiveness of females that adhere to it. Fox News is loaded with attractive reporters and anchors.

MrHicks

Banned
ThisWreckage said:
I don't know much about Spitzer but he seemed really sharp to me.

Someone needs to explore the correlation between conservatism and the attractiveness of females that adhere to it. Fox News is loaded with attractive reporters and anchors.

1000 apply for job
hire most attractive one

simple really

KingGondo

Banned
The Republican party is extremely well-organized, and it's obvious that the party leadership only lets attractive women represent it in public.

It's all about presenting a cohesive image: attractive women who "have their shit together" vs. the likes of Janeane Garofalo, Sarah Silverman, and Barbra Streisand.

KingGondo said:
The Republican party is extremely well-organized, and it's obvious that the party leadership only lets attractive women represent it in public.

It's all about presenting a cohesive image: attractive women who "have their shit together" vs. the likes of Janeane Garofalo, Sarah Silverman, and Barbra Streisand.

The Democrats, in general, are not well organized and it's one of the reasons we're in the mess we're in. Conservatives will have their disagreements with one another until they're cornered and then they band together.

Oblivion

ThisWreckage said:
It's probably a bad thing that the tea partyer, sideburns included, came across better than the blonde.

Yeah, I actually thought the same thing. I think Kibbe realized he was out of his league so he thought it'd be better to shut up.

Did anyone else watch last night? My mind almost exploded from the awesomeness of the panel. The editor of Salon, an astrophysicist, and Anthony Bourdain.

sruckus

ThisWreckage said:
Did anyone else watch last night? My mind almost exploded from the awesomeness of the panel. The editor of Salon, an astrophysicist, and Anthony Bourdain.

Yeah, decent panel but not enough real debate with the tea bagger.

Also, haven't laughed as hard as I did for the editorial in a long time

Red_Man

It was a pretty good episode to end of the season with, and the conservative filmaker guy wasn't shouting and tried to make his points in a calm and rational matter, which was nice to see.

JGS

Banned
I saw Bourdain on there and was ontrfued but simply can't stand the roundtables.

Maher is an excellent one on one interviewer though. Still, hate the roundtables.

Oblivion

The season finale episode kinda sucked. Nobody did a good job defending against the resident tea bagger.

But the New Rules was pretty awesome.

Top Bottom