• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official UFC 100 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Sam

Busty said:
But rumours have it that a deal can't be worked out by this weekend so UFC 100 will actually be shown on either Channel 5 or Virgin 1.

Thank you, that will be very nice.

Asbel

thefro said:
Spike is showing Countdown to UFC 100 tonight at 10 PM

IMHO, it's pretty clear that whoever wins the Mir/Lesnar match will be the clear #2 or #3 in heavyweight in the world (depending on the Barnett/Fedor match outcome).
We all know Fedor will wins so

#1 Fedor
#2 winner Mir/Lesnar
#3 winner Nog/Couture or loser Mir/Lesnar or Barnett

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
painey said:
Mir knocked Nogueira on his ass, what, 3 times before smashing the hell out of him? I think he might surprise Brock. I just cant wait for this PPV!

Nog was sickly, slow, and lethargic. I wouldnt put too much stock in that fight.

Boogie

The Countdown show is making me hate Lesnar more and hoping that Mir can pull off the upset.

edit: I like how Mir technically breaks down their first fight.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Yeah, I'm almost certain that Mir is gonna beat Lesnar, and it won't be pretty. Which is kinda sad cuz I don't think either him nor Lesnar would crack most peoples Top 10 P4P fighter list. Kinda sucky that we're gonna have a champ like that. Anyways, yeah, Mir will win unless he tries to stand up. Looking at some of this press it looks like he genuinely thinks his striking can keep him on his feet against Lesnar, and if he's dumb enough to do that he could easily lose. I don't think he's dumb enough to do that. He'll piss Lesnar off, let Lesnar take it to the ground, and submit him. Just like in the first fight.

I just don't know how Vegas still has Lesnar as the favorite. And its not even really close the last time I looked at the moneyline.

I'm also pretty certain GSP is gonna dominate Alves. Alves could get lucky with a strike but I don't see it happening.

Rur0ni

whytemyke said:
Yeah, I'm almost certain that Mir is gonna beat Lesnar, and it won't be pretty. Which is kinda sad cuz I don't think either him nor Lesnar would crack most peoples Top 10 P4P fighter list. Kinda sucky that we're gonna have a champ like that. Anyways, yeah, Mir will win unless he tries to stand up. Looking at some of this press it looks like he genuinely thinks his striking can keep him on his feet against Lesnar, and if he's dumb enough to do that he could easily lose. I don't think he's dumb enough to do that. He'll piss Lesnar off, let Lesnar take it to the ground, and submit him. Just like in the first fight.

I just don't know how Vegas still has Lesnar as the favorite. And its not even really close the last time I looked at the moneyline.

I'm also pretty certain GSP is gonna dominate Alves. Alves could get lucky with a strike but I don't see it happening.
If I had to guess, Lesnar has probably focused the bulk of his training on ground fighting/clinch work. Mir won't be that much smaller than Brock. I'd stand, avoid the bombs, and take it to the ground in a later round when Lesnar gasses. That's my guess for the Mir gameplan.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Seems Boogie got ignored here, so I'll tell my story.

Boogie said:
That piqued my interest, and so I decided to catch the next event, which happened to be UFC 37.5 in 2002. The event wasn’t particularly special, but I was hooked. It was, of course, much different from my karate sparring. I mean, hardly anyone was throwing any kicks! All I kept hearing about was this amazing martial art called Brazilian Jiu-jitsu and how effective it was. I didn’t know it was all about grappling, but I nonetheless intuitively “got” the idea behind groundfighting and its potential. And I was determined that when I went to university the next year, I would start training it. And the rest is history.

What's your story?

First saw MMA when someone brought UFC 1-4 videos to high school purely to shock people with the most brutal matches. I wasn't shocked, but I wasn't impressed either, by what seemed to be a senseless bloody spectacle. Some time later, around 2001 or 2002, I saw Royce Gracie being talked about in some silly argument on the interwebs about the strongest martial artists (w/ Bruce Lee etc. etc.) and looked Royce up, saw some highlight videos. Damn, that's a pretty effective style! But was there someone better than him? So I looked around and found that Kazushi Sakuraba defeated him in an epic 90 minute confrontation. Then I watched Saku's highlights, impressed with his acrobatic flair with grappling and how he used strikes effectively to set up submissions and defeat pure grapplers. But was someone able to defeat him? Found Wanderlei Silva, watched videos of him in action, and was amazed at his brutality, his energy, and how he could shut down grapplers and keep fights exactly where he wanted them.

I had always been interested in the martial arts, but was disappointed in the mcdojo sensibilities of traditional martial arts facilities in my area and how TMA competition was mostly a joke. Prior to my exposure to MMA, I couldn't find any TMA styles that made sense to me, and had pretty much given up on the idea of training. I shifted my interest more towards fencing and kendo (but both turned out to not be for me at all). Eventually I decided that MMA was pretty much all I was interested in in combat sports and sports in general. First I started taking some long trips to NYC every week to train BJJ down there, but once I moved and found a (much more hardcore) place to train nearby I took it up properly.

I stayed with it for around six months, but was absolutely plagued with injuries and inadequacies related to my poor nutrition, underdeveloped body and awful cardio. It wasn't my time, and eventually -- my immune system likely weakened from my regular near-death experiences on the mats (lulz) -- I fell upon successive illnesses that kept me down for around a month, and upon returning I felt like all the training had seeped out of my body. Depressed and faced with even harder training that I couldn't keep up with ("we've been going way too easy!") and a dozen injuries weighing me down I stepped away, and have been pissed off at myself ever since. Frustrated enough that I stopped following the MMA fight scene almost entirely for a couple years too, as a punishment to myself and to avoid being reminded of how I quit training.

Recently, though, with renewed determination, I've been eating healthy and working out in the hopes of addressing the shortcomings that held me back last time around, and I will return to BJJ & MMA training by the end of the year, cauliflower ear be damned.

Rur0ni

Ah fitness thread! ;) Meant to comment earlier about my history, but got sidetracked lol.

My first exposure to MMA was some random Pride event around 2005, it was exciting, but life was busy so I kinda just forgot about it. Then seeing the MMA threads here earlier this year, catching a few highlights. UFC 97 decided to really sit down and watch, along with TUF 9. I'm officially hooked at this point. Watched past fights, sticking with LHW and HW divisions for my source of entertainment and lust.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
My first exposure was probably around 2000-2001. I was in California for the summer and my step brother had some VHS tapes. We'd watch Tito and Randy and Chuck and stuff, and play the shitty Dreamcast game a bit. Never too serious, but I always enjoyed it. Then I remember starting to see it more and slowly get back into it during Hughes' reign.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I got into MMA like a lot of old school guys I suppose. A friend from my Karate class brought over UFC 1 on VHS telling me it was this crazy tournament where kung fu fighters fought sumo wrestlers, which instantly sold me. We were both blown away by what Royce managed to do, even though we didn't actually understand it at the time. I've been hooked ever since.

My picks:

George St. Pierre vs. Thiago Alves
- GSP shouldn't have much problem with this. Jon Fitch laid out the blueprint to beat this guy: Clinch, drag him down and tap him out. GSP's takedowns are lightyears beyond Fitch (not to mention Thiago's other former wrestling opponents Koscheck & Hughes) so he won't have any problems getting this to the mat and either pounding the shit out of him or submitting him. Of course GSP likes to take people on where they are strongest, he's nasty like that, so I wouldn't be surprised if GSP comes out and beats the crap out of Alves on the feet. Either way, Alves is going home with a L.

Frank Murrrrr vs. Bleeding Cock Tattoo
- If there was any justice in the world, this would be a double KO. As it is, it'll hit the mat at some point and Mir will submit Lesnar easily finally ending this crazy interim merry-go-round of the HW title.

Dan Henderson vs. Michael Bisping
- Henderson is grit personified, he's going to take Bisping into some seriously deep water, somewhere the brit hasn't been before and I don't think he's going to handle it well. Expect Henderson to win a raw decision with Bisping getting pummelled on the floor and in the clinch for most of the 15 minutes.

Mark Coleman vs. Stephan Bonnar
- If this was prime Coleman I'd pick him in a heartbeat, but it isn't and he's going to get embarrassed here.

Jon Fitch vs. Paulo Thiago
- Jon Fitch is going to once again demonstrate why he is the #2 Welterweight in the world by dominating Thiago with a smart gameplan that actually takes advantage of his skillset. Fitch isn't a flaming retard like Koscheck and will actually use his wrestling skills here to control the fight.

Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Alan Belcher
- I don't like Belcher. Not at all. However Japanese fighters have a tendency to get overwhelmed in Western MMA. It's a different environment, in Japan it's all about the show and fighting with honour, winning and losing are secondary. Once put into the hyper competitive pressure cooker that is the UFC they tend to wilt and I expect Akiyama is going to follow suit here.

Jake O'Brien vs. Jon Jones
- I really like Jon Jones, he has an absolute ton of potential. He brings wildly unpredictable (yet effective) striking combined with a very effective Greco Roman wrestling background. His one weakness is his cardio which hopefully he's been working on. I think O'Brien is going to get overwhelmed here both on the feet and on the mat.

TJ Grant vs. Dong-Hyun Kim
- Kim impressed the hell out of me in his debut but has failed to follow that up with any other impressive performances. Meanwhile Grant came in as a last minute replacement against the always tough Ryo Chonan and still managed to gut out a win. I'm gonna go with a properly prepared Grant this time taking the win.

Mac Danzig vs. Jim Miller
- I think Miller has the wrestling chops to control this fight and hopefully hand Danzig his walking papers.

Don't care about the last 2 undercards, though I hope Dolloway's constantly shit smelling face gets smashed in.

Nocebo

I think the way I got into watching MMA was through a friend who showed me some awesome Pride fights with Sakuraba and the like. Most of the matches were fast and exciting. For someone reason I love seeing guys get destroyed, so I was instantly hooked. I felt it was the most "real" fighting performance you can see on tv. Also the level of skill and performance and the submission game intrigued greatly. Now that I think about it, it amused me greatly to see people who were primarely strikers beat someone up but then get submitted in the end.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
This forum got me into MMA. It was the thread about the UFC signing Cro Cop and Rampage. I started watching fights on youtube and havent looked back since.

smurfx

get some go again
well if we are talking about how we got into mma then i will tell my story. well like many i watched the early ufc's but i wouldn't say i was an mma fan since then since i only watched for the brutality. i grew up a boxing fan so the idea of all these martial artist fighting to see who is the best really intrigued me. well as time went by and the ufc got banned i lost interest and continued watching boxing as i grew up. it wasn't until around 2001 when i was on p2p programs looking for street fighting videos that i came a cross a wanderlei silva highlight video and really liked the video and then searched out more wanderlei silva videos. eventually i came across other pride fighters videos and then i started watching mma seriously. eventually i also got into the ufc as well.

first time i seen MMA was threw my cousin. i use to love Ken Shamrock in the WWF and he told me he fights for real in the ufc and showed me some tapes. while i was watching all i could think of was its just like BloodSport (in the old days when there wasnt realy a weight class) and i was hooked ever since.

Nocebo

TOM f'N CRUISE said:
first time i seen MMA was threw my cousin. i use to love Ken Shamrock in the WWF and he told me he fights for real in the ufc and showed me some tapes. while i was watching all i could think of was its just like BloodSport (in the old days when there wasnt realy a weight class) and i was hooked ever since.
I think my friend got into MMA because of the Ken Shamrock link too.

well here's my story....

got into MMA around UFC 47 and started following it pretty heavily, then i got into PrideFC and the rest of the other Japanese Orgs. still follow Japanese MMA pretty religiously.

i had always trained boxing with my father, he was a former amateur boxer, and soon after i started training in BJJ under Tosh Cook and Royce Gracie

still training BJJ and also training Hawaiian kempo kickboxing under UFC vet Jason "Livewire" Von Flue here at "Royce Gracie Jiu-Jitsu" in Fresno, CA

edit:

More Sex for page 2

htm_2008091812322002010000020104-1.jpg

Busty

Banned
EviLore said:
Seems Boogie got ignored here, so I'll tell my story.

First saw MMA when someone brought UFC 1-4 videos to high school purely to shock people with the most brutal matches. I wasn't shocked, but I wasn't impressed either, by what seemed to be a senseless bloody spectacle. Some time later, around 2001 or 2002, I saw Royce Gracie being talked about in some silly argument on the interwebs about the strongest martial artists (w/ Bruce Lee etc. etc.) and looked Royce up, saw some highlight videos. Damn, that's a pretty effective style! But was there someone better than him? So I looked around and found that Kazushi Sakuraba defeated him in an epic 90 minute confrontation. Then I watched Saku's highlights, impressed with his acrobatic flair with grappling and how he used strikes effectively to set up submissions and defeat pure grapplers. But was someone able to defeat him? Found Wanderlei Silva, watched videos of him in action, and was amazed at his brutality, his energy, and how he could shut down grapplers and keep fights exactly where he wanted them.

I had always been interested in the martial arts, but was disappointed in the mcdojo sensibilities of traditional martial arts facilities in my area and how TMA competition was mostly a joke. Prior to my exposure to MMA, I couldn't find any TMA styles that made sense to me, and had pretty much given up on the idea of training. I shifted my interest more towards fencing and kendo (but both turned out to not be for me at all). Eventually I decided that MMA was pretty much all I was interested in in combat sports and sports in general. First I started taking some long trips to NYC every week to train BJJ down there, but once I moved and found a (much more hardcore) place to train nearby I took it up properly.

I stayed with it for around six months, but was absolutely plagued with injuries and inadequacies related to my poor nutrition, underdeveloped body and awful cardio. It wasn't my time, and eventually -- my immune system likely weakened from my regular near-death experiences on the mats (lulz) -- I fell upon successive illnesses that kept me down for around a month, and upon returning I felt like all the training had seeped out of my body. Depressed and faced with even harder training that I couldn't keep up with ("we've been going way too easy!") and a dozen injuries weighing me down I stepped away, and have been pissed off at myself ever since. Frustrated enough that I stopped following the MMA fight scene almost entirely for a couple years too, as a punishment to myself and to avoid being reminded of how I quit training.

Recently, though, with renewed determination, I've been eating healthy and working out in the hopes of addressing the shortcomings that held me back last time around, and I will return to BJJ & MMA training by the end of the year, cauliflower ear be damned.

That's actually a fascinating story and really should be part of a thread of it's own.

As a grown man (30 y'all) with friends of a similar age there has been something of a resurgence among use in martial arts and combat.

Hmmm, interesting.

Boogie

Thanks for your story, EviLore. I always wondered what the cause was behind you mostly disappearing from MMA threads for a while.

Brian Fellows said:
This forum got me into MMA. It was the thread about the UFC signing Cro Cop and Rampage. I started watching fights on youtube and havent looked back since.

iddqd said:
and all the threads here got me into MMA.

That's what I like to hear! :D

Makes threads like these retrospectively worth it:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66297

4 years ago. 4 replies, just dem and myself. Look how far we've come. :lol

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir

I don't think Lesnar will get caught by some dumb ass shit right away like last time. He keeps it on the feet and he owns Mir, probably in the first round unless Mir runs away. Mir isn't taking Lesnar down. Of course Lesnar is gonna be dumb and want to wrestle, which might get him fucked up. He needs to keep it on the feet the entire first and second round. Weirdly, I think Lesnar might have better cardio than Mir.

Georges St-Pierre Vs. Thiago Alves

First round GSP will strike in an effective, but cautious manner. Alves isn't gonna do shit on the ground, and if it goes there it's gonna be him who's on his back. GSP should NOT try to do a shooting in takedown early in the match unless there is an opening just waiting to be taken, if his game is to take it immediately to the ground. If he wants it down early he should clinch and explode with a judo throw or sweep. GSP starts out defensively and he wins this easily.

Dan Henderson Vs. Michael Bisping

Bisping is overrated and underrated at the same time. This will be his biggest test, but I can't see him pulling it out over a grissled Hendo. Hendo wins via clinch, "dad strength", and toughness.

Jon Fitch Vs. Paulo Thiago

Fitch looks like a retard but he's well rounded, if not dynamic.

Yoshihiro Akiyama Vs. Alan Belcher

If Sexyama wins I'm gonna pull out my dick and start jacking off in front of my girlfriend. That is all.

Mark Coleman Vs. Stephan Bonnar

Bonnar by cardio.

Mac Danzig vs. Jim Miller

Don't know who Miller is, but I think Danzig has zero explosiveness, even if technically he might look well rounded on paper. They day I root for Danzig is the day he starts eating a real man diet. Miller by manpower.

Dong-Hyun Kim vs. T.J. Grant

I don't know who the fuck any of these guys are but I like how asians look a lot. I don't know what nationality this guy is, but I'd also like to state for the record that Korean men have the sexiest nipples.

Mr. Sam

Am I the only one that got into MMA because of the recent UFC game? There has to be others. It's a gaming forum.

dem

Lesnar vs Mir is a toss up.. because its hard to tell how good either of them really are.
Lesnar looks terrible standing to me... looks like he has a case of the gonzagas (doesn't like to get hit).. but he has dropped everyone he has been in the cage with. Mir always looks bad standing.. but he dropped Nog like 3 times.

How good is Lesnar on the ground? Who knows. Can he really "smother" Frank Mir for 5 rounds? You wouldnt think you would want to go to the ground with Mir.. but lets not forget.. Mir got pounded out by MARCIO freakin CRUZ. Mir has no cardio.. so he SHOULD tire out if Brock can ride him for a bit and throw those ham fists down on mir's noggin.

Alves LOOKS like the guy to beat St. Pierre. A big strong guy who has great takedown defense.. and can BANG. On paper that is the guy to beat GSP. But GSP is GSP.. and I won't believe Alves can stop GSP from taking him down until I see it.

I wont bet on any of the fights.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Mr. Sam said:
Am I the only one that got into MMA because of the recent UFC game? There has to be others. It's a gaming forum.
I'm sure there's a lot of you out there, but the OT MMA threads have been going for awhile so the people just getting into it cuz of the game are small now. But you're part of what I'm sure will be a growing contingent, and that's definitely not a bad thing.

I don't even remember when I got into it. One of my best friends was always into PrideFC clips, forcing Bob Sapp videos down my throat when we were in college. :lol I think I'm part of the TUF demographic, where I started watching from S1. It was just really cool to see all the behind-the-scenes that went on there, where you see the fighters actually being civillized people who were in it for the sport. S1 had guys like Forrest Griffin and Kenny Florian, too, which was great because it showed you that not everyone was like half the douchebags on the show in the past few seasons.

Some of the PPVs I remember first going out of my way to really see were UFC 61 which had the Tito/Shamrock matchup which might have been the last time Tito has looked good in a fight :lol. It also had Tim beating Arlovski via a throat punch that was never called and ending the mojo of what was one of the most dynamic HW fighters the UFC has seen in the past 10 years.

a3lb1z.gif

I still maintain that Arlovski pre-throat punch could manhandle the HW division as it is today. I mean, I didn't see the fight but he stood toe to toe with Fedor and was beating him til he slipped up.

Mr. Sam

whytemyke said:
I'm sure there's a lot of you out there, but the OT MMA threads have been going for awhile so the people just getting into it cuz of the game are small now. But you're part of what I'm sure will be a growing contingent, and that's definitely not a bad thing.

Well, it's not until we all start pretending to know everything.

Zeke

I got into MMA when I was in middle school or around there my dad had bought one of the UFC ppv's and I was hooked. One of the matches on there was a Tank Abbott match where he tried throwing the other figher out of the cage :lol

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Looking at that .gif, I can't believe I never saw it before. Herb Dean reffing the fight. That guy sucks ass. Just an absolutely horrible ref. He was doing a King of the Cage event up in Michigan that I knew a guy in. anyways, one of the fights Dean missed a ton of dirty shit cuz he was looking at the ring girls next to the cage :lol

Our entire group around us were just pissed. The guy I know who was fighting said when he was talking to the fighters before the event, someone asked a question about hits to the back of the head and Dean kept dodging the question, too. :lol

god that guy sucks.

mrbagdt

EviLore said:
..and I will return to BJJ & MMA training by the end of the year, cauliflower ear be damned.
after three years i have only gotten it once. it seems like it happens the most when you try to escape from submissions by trying to pull your head out instead of escaping correctly, such as trying to pull your way out of a triangle rather than breaking the legs or by trying to pull your head out of a guillotine rather than breaking their grip. anything where you fold your ears on top of themselves and crush them is what makes it happen, which is why lots of wrestlers and particularly greco wrestlers get it, as well as certain rugby players to name another sport.

anyway, i got into ufc and mma by watching TUF 2. i had heard of UFC before and knew a little bit about it, but did not watch it regularly until that show. about a year later i moved down south and went to a local mma show and several of the fighters were from a local bjj school and were all successful in their fights. wound up finding the gym and went by for a few classes, and after getting my ass handed to me by the oldest and smallest guy at the gym, i decided that this was something that didnt come down to strength and instead came down to technique. since then i have been training bjj 3-4 times a week, tons of fun and i love it.

Sinatar

whytemyke said:
Looking at that .gif, I can't believe I never saw it before. Herb Dean reffing the fight. That guy sucks ass. Just an absolutely horrible ref. He was doing a King of the Cage event up in Michigan that I knew a guy in. anyways, one of the fights Dean missed a ton of dirty shit cuz he was looking at the ring girls next to the cage :lol

Our entire group around us were just pissed. The guy I know who was fighting said when he was talking to the fighters before the event, someone asked a question about hits to the back of the head and Dean kept dodging the question, too. :lol

god that guy sucks.

I saw a fight up here in my town (Edmonton) where Herb didn't hear the goddamn round ending bell and sat there dumbfounded when one fighter stopped (cause he heard it) and the other guy proceeded to drop unchecked elbows into his face.

What a shitstorm that was. Herb Dean sucks, really really badly.

Mr. Sam said:
Who was the referee in the Mirko/al Turk fight?

Dan Miragliotta who definitely takes the shit ref cake.

Xater

Now I don't find the vid to quote it. Anyway I watched this Akiyama highlight reel and what promotion was he fighting in with a Gi against people without one?

Sinatar

Xater said:
Now I don't find the vid to quote it. Anyway I watched this Akiyama highlight reel and what promotion was he fighting in with a Gi against people without one?

I know he fought with a Gi in Dream, he didn't in his Yarrenoka fight and I assume he wore a Gi during his K1-Heroes run (which was Dream before it was called Dream).

Timedog said:
Dong-Hyun Kim vs. T.J. Grant

I don't know who the fuck any of these guys are but I like how asians look a lot. I don't know what nationality this guy is, but I'd also like to state for the record that Korean men have the sexiest nipples.

Stun Gun is a great fighter, so you have a good pick there, i got him over Grant also.

go watch his fight with Karo, that was a good fight, BS decision because Stun Gun won that fight, but it was eventually overturned to a "No Contest" or his fight against Jason Tan just to see Tan's ass get Judo thrown everywhere.

oh

and let us all not forget when Dan Miragliotta fuckin pushed Akihiro Gono Across the cage in the Dan Hardy Fight....lol

danM.gif

edit: yes, Akiyama usually fights in Gi, but i know his fight against Kang as well as a few others have been NoGi, shouldn't affect him in the octagon at all though.

Mr. Sam

EraldoCoil said:
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e153/maidentrooper52/danM.gif[IMG]

edit: yes, Akiyama usually fights in Gi, but i know his fight against Kang as well as a few others have been NoGi, shouldn't affect him in the octagon at all though.[/QUOTE]

:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom