• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official UFC 100 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bishman

Growing up, I have always been into martial arts. Hell, I signed up for a karate class in 1st grade because this girl I liked told me she was in it. Bruce Lee is my all time favorite icon and he was a big part when I was young. I remember watching all his movies. Then one day, I go to my cousin house and he has a poster of Bruce Lee on his wall and tells me how revolutionary Bruce Lee. How he changed the aspects of training one martial art. You have to mix it all up. Later that day, he shows me an UFC event.

The only fighter I remember is Tito Ortiz. This was during the time when he was feuding with Ken Shamrock. I was amazed at how raw the fights were. In my eyes, it resembled a street fight. But the way my cousin broke it down, there is a lot of complexity to the fight.

After that... and for a long time... I didn't really pay attention to MMA. It wasn't until The Ultimate Fighter launched on the same network right after RAW. Oh man the show showed how much work goes into being a fighter and MMA as a whole. It motivated me to workout and get fit. I practiced wrestling and grappling with my friends, imitating what I saw the fighters did on TUF.

Watching the TUF finale -- Forest vs Bonnar sold me as a MMA since then. I would get buddies and we ordered UFC PPVs. I started watching UFC PPVs since UFC 52 with Randy vs Chuck.

Now here I am. UFC 100!

It is kinda cool because UFC 52 was my 1st UFC PPV and that is when I became a GSP fan. Now GSP is the champ. One of the biggest MMA fighter in the biz. And pound for pound one of the greatest fighter in the world.

Been watching UFC for years, but lately i've drifted away from it and have really gotten into WEC. I think UFC is slowly becoming the WWF of the MMA scene. Anyway, this PPV looks pretty good and I think I'll probably end up ordering it.

dem

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Been watching UFC for years, but lately i've drifted away from it and have really gotten into WEC. I think UFC is slowly becoming the WWF of the MMA scene. Anyway, this PPV looks pretty good and I think I'll probably end up ordering it.

What does that even mean?

dem said:

Increasing amount of glam/theatrics/celebrity involvement compared to the old UFC. To be honest I haven't liked it as much since the massive rule changes anyway. This is just my opinion of course, so feel free to disagree.

dem

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Increasing amount of glam/theatrics/celebrity involvement compared to the old UFC. To be honest I haven't liked it as much since the massive rule changes anyway. This is just my opinion of course, so feel free to disagree.

If you think the amount of glam/theatrics in the ufc is too much.. then never ever watch japanese mma. I actually find the UFC presentation to be getting pretty stale.
BRING BACK THE RAMP!

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
dem said:

Because sometimes fighters don't like each other/pretend to not like each other, and the UFC has the gal to use that to their promoting advantage. How dare they.

Seriously, having interviews is called adding a bit of production. Theatrics is a silly ass word to describe it.

And celebrity involvement? You mean showing celebrities in the crowd? You mean trying to show normal people that the people they look up to like something to try and seem more mainstream? Again, the gal. Dare we mention that aaages ago the UFC was on Friends.

Ah well.

SnakeXs said:
Because sometimes fighters don't like each other/pretend to not like each other, and the UFC has the gal to use that to their promoting advantage. How dare they.

Seriously, having interviews is called adding a bit of production. Theatrics is a silly ass word to describe it.

And celebrity involvement? You mean showing celebrities in the crowd? You mean trying to show normal people that the people they look up to like something to try and seem more mainstream? Again, the gal. Dare we mention that aaages ago the UFC was on Friends.

Ah well.

meh, there's always that whole " if you sign for the EA game then your banned from the UFC" thing going on.

it also goes for fighters getting title shots based on popularity/Draw rather than actually deserving the shot.

it's the reason why Rampage woulda got a shot before Machida, but we all know that rampage got hurt and the rest is history.

Brock shouldn't have got a shot but he's a big PPV draw and he got a shot with a 1-1 record in the UFC (2-1 overall at the time.) Instead of Unifying right out with Nog/Couture.

Okami keeps getting the shaft even though he was 100x more deserving than Thales Leites, yeah Okami isn't the most exciting fighter but he has been the clear #2 or #3 MW for some time.

it just seems as if they are going for matches that are gonna attract a larger number of PPV buys rather than setting up the right matches for the truly deserving fighters.

anyways.....

More sex for page 3

sexyamanike.jpg

dem

You can say Brock didnt deserve a shot.. but he beat Randy.. so it really doesn't matter.

Yushin Okami was going to get a title shot.. but he keeps getting hurt.

And fuck would people stop acting like Machida was deserving of a title shot way before he got one?? Soko/Tito/THIAGO Silva is not the most impressive fight streak in the world.
Rampage HAD the belt.. he was a former champ. He was just as deserving as Machida.

I agree on the ea games thing though. UFC is screwing their fighters in forcing them to sign a LIFETIME deal. Its ridiculous.

Zeke

if by beat Randy you mean smother and lay all over him the entire match then yes you are correct. In any event I hope Mir taps his big ass out.

Zeke said:
if by beat Randy you mean smother and lay all over him the entire match then yes you are correct. In any event I hope Mir taps his big ass out.

the only time i really remember brock laying on randy was when he was Hammer Fisting him on his way to a TKO victory.

Randy was winning in the clinch and in the overall wrestling aspect. Brock caught him on the feet and then finished it.

Boogie

mrbagdt said:
after three years i have only gotten it once.

Somehow, after 5+ years of BJJ, I have been blessed with never having gotten cauliflower ear.

Doesn't surprise me you had troubles with it, though, EviLore, what with your bigass ears and all. ;)

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Been watching UFC for years, but lately i've drifted away from it and have really gotten into WEC. I think UFC is slowly becoming the WWF of the MMA scene.

See what dem said. Japanese MMA = crazy theatrics and shit, and the UFC got rid of their ramp years ago. And like dem, I miss the ramp.

Zeke said:

wtf fight did you watch?

Alves baby!!! :D

Alves Promises a War and a Knockout on Saturday Night

"Even if I do not get the KO, I will beat on him the entire match. I do not see any other way for this to go," he declares with certainty. "People say I talk like this because I am nervous, because I am not confident or because I do not have anything to say. No! I respect him, I am not arrogant, I just want what he has and I will take this my way, with a big KO. I am really relaxed and very confident right now." Then Alves reveals a secret weapon he has had during the preparation, "Fabio Holanda, who trained GSP for nearly two years, is here supporting my training and giving me a lot of details about his game; that was a great addition."

Also my picks:

Lesnar vs Mir
GSP vs Alves
Hendo vs Bisping
Fitch vs Thiago
Akiyama vs Belcher

newsguy

I am so nervous. I've seen GSP fight live, I've been a GSP fan for as long as I can remember, but I don't ever think I feared that he could lose until now. As big as the other fights are, GSP/Alves is the real reason this will be an amazing card. As amazing a wrestler as GSP is, I think Alves counters that with the sheer strength to get off the ground. his strength is definitely a factor here, GSP can lay on BJs fatass all day, but this little fucker is mean, and a well timed knee can end this thing. Can't wait.

I gotta say, as a pretty long-time UFC fan, I'm excited so many people are getting into it now, whether because of the videogame or the wrestling link :D

Xater

EraldoCoil said:
edit: yes, Akiyama usually fights in Gi, but i know his fight against Kang as well as a few others have been NoGi, shouldn't affect him in the octagon at all though.

I was just interested where it was allowed to have it mixed. It just looked strange to me. :lol

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Zeke said:

Huh? Are you sure you aren't mixing up Couture with Herring?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Still no official word on what channel is airing UFC 100 in the UK, on the Virgin site they have http://www.football.virginmedia.com/page/UFCLive/0,,12555,00.html, supposedly ESPN and five have been bidding pretty hard, though it'll probably be for the rights after 100. Would love to see five get it, would be awesome being able to watch it for free.

Unfortunately I can see ESPN picking up the rights, especially with them grabbing the EPL and possibly the SPL packages from Setanta.

SnakeXs

Ikuu said:
Still no official word on what channel is airing UFC 100 in the UK, on the Virgin site they have http://www.football.virginmedia.com/page/UFCLive/0,,12555,00.html, supposedly ESPN and five have been bidding pretty hard, though it'll probably be for the rights after 100. Would love to see five get it, would be awesome being able to watch it for free.

Unfortunately I can see ESPN picking up the rights, especially with them grabbing the EPL and possibly the SPL packages from Setanta.

http://mmamania.com/2009/06/30/ufc-100-will-reportedly-air-live-in-the-uk-on-july-11/

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Yea that's an old article, supposedly the UFC were going to make an announcement on Monday but that never happened.

TOM f'N CRUISE said:
wait, why the hell did he do that? :lol :lol

If you notice Hardy is on one knee in the part of the gif where Gono is pushed against the cage. Before that he'd already kneed Hardy in the head twice from that position, which is why he was shoved against the cage. In the other part of the gif, Gono is shoved to prevent him from hitting Hardy because the bell had already rang.

JB1981

newsguy said:
I am so nervous. I've seen GSP fight live, I've been a GSP fan for as long as I can remember, but I don't ever think I feared that he could lose until now. As big as the other fights are, GSP/Alves is the real reason this will be an amazing card. As amazing a wrestler as GSP is, I think Alves counters that with the sheer strength to get off the ground. his strength is definitely a factor here, GSP can lay on BJs fatass all day, but this little fucker is mean, and a well timed knee can end this thing. Can't wait.

I'm very new to the UFC scene but GSP is basically the reason why I watch and I am really nervous too. Going to be a tough fight.

Boogie

On the subject of Herb Dean.

I don't think that I will ever be able to think of Dean as a shitty ref due to him catching Sylvia's arm break in the Mir/Sylvia fight. Can you imagine if Mazzagatti or Mirogliatta had been reffing that fight? They never would have caught that, Sylvia's arm would have been fucked up, and he might never have fought again.

Okay, so maybe that's just another reason to hate Herb Dean after all. :lol

SnakeXs

Bishman said:
What is this Buffer 360 everyone is talking about?

Is Buffer going to spin in a 360?

It's been a running joke, yes. The Buffer 180's been going on for a long time now, and it's been a gag to infer that at UFC 100 he'll do a 360.

Sinatar said:
Dude, 2 posts above yours.

Yeah that.

Bishman

Sinatar said:
Dude, 2 posts above yours.
LOL! Thanks! It is all clear now. Hell yeah Buffer 360! I hope he does it for the main event.

On a side note, I finally got to watch the UFC Countdown (saw it on UFC.com) and it was great. Anyone else disappointed that GSP / Alves got the least coverage? I guess it makes sense business wise. Earlier today when I went to the supplement store, the clerk was talking about watching the countdown last night and will have to buy the PPV to see Brock fight. So unbelievable how big Brock is PPV wise. Brock = $$.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Bishman said:
LOL! Thanks! It is all clear now. Hell yeah Buffer 360! I hope he does it for the main event.

On a side note, I finally got to watch the UFC Countdown (saw it on UFC.com) and it was great. Anyone else disappointed that GSP / Alves got the least coverage? I guess it makes sense business wise. Earlier today when I went to the supplement store, the clerk was talking about watching the countdown last night and will have to buy the PPV to see Brock fight. So unbelievable how big Brock is PPV wise. Brock = $$.

The biggest PPV the UFC has ever done was UFC 94 which was St. Pierre vs. Penn 2. Their second highest was 92 "The Ultimate 2008" neither of which had Lesnar.

I thought the countdown sucked, I couldn't care less about Cock Tattoo vs. Murr.

Asbel

Like the rest of you, I've always been interested in martial arts. I only first heard about the UFC when the Dreamcast game was being previewed. Naturally I was intrigued but never watched it do to it being on ppv. It wasn't until my bro's stolen satellite tv days did I get to watch it 'regularly' (remember, back then, regular was one event every 3-4 months). The first fight I saw was Couture vs Ricco and it was rather boring but if everyone was saying these guys were the best fighters in the world, I wanted to understand how their style worked.

The earliest gaf mma post that sticks to my mind is when I spoiled the Couture vs Tito result in a thread title (yes, gaf mma threads were started after the event if at all). I was just so excited that Couture had won. It hadn't occurred to me that not everyone would catch a ppv live or that anyone on gaf would care until Boogie called me out on it. And that was when I realized there were gaffers who were into mma, and though there were few, the discussions here was far more intelligent than on sherdog. (So having Boogie call you out on your noob mistake is a good thing.)

I'm in an mma slump right now. Didn't really get into the new ufc game much at all. Not as excited about 100 as I should be. But I'm sure I'll be in gaf mma threads as long as I'm on gaf.

Boogie

Sinatar said:
The biggest PPV the UFC has ever done was UFC 94 which was St. Pierre vs. Penn 2. Their second highest was 92 "The Ultimate 2008" neither of which had Lesnar.

I thought the countdown sucked, I couldn't care less about Cock Tattoo vs. Murr.

wiki suggests that UFC 94 is not in fact the best buyrate ever. Meltzer said early returns for 94 made him project a higher buyrate then it ended up being.

UFC 94: 800k

UFC 92: "1 million +"

UFC 91: 920k

But who knows what the real numbers are.

George St. Pierre vs. Thiago Alves
-If GSP wants to take him down he will and I'm confident GSP can either sub him or TKO him once the fight reaches the ground. I don't see GSP keeping this fight on the feet for long. The only way I could see Thiago winning is by rocking him in the clinch or kneeing him while he shoots but GSP's mixes his takedowns so seemlessly I don't see either of those things happening.

Frank Mir vs. Brock Lesnar
- Lesnar is strong enough to control Mir on the ground and doubt he will get caught in another sub. On the feet I think Brock's power advantage will give him the edge, despite what he claims Mir is not fast on his feet.

Dan Henderson vs. Michael Bisping
- Bipsing is going to spend this match on his back, he has never faced a wrestler of Henderson's caliber and his inexperience will show.

Mark Coleman vs. Stephan Bonnar
- Coleman is old and not Couture old, either, but old old. After the first round I see Bonnar dominating.

Jon Fitch vs. Paulo Thiago
- Fitch takes Thiago down and doesn't let him up.

Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Alan Belcher
-Rooting for Sexyama have no idea how it plays out.

Jake O'Brien vs. Jon Jones
- I really like Jones he has exciting striking and exciting takedowns, but the way Bonnar so easily got to his feet has me questioning his ground game. If he can control O'Brien on the ground or scramble to his feet he should win.

TJ Grant vs. Dong-Hyun Kim
- Kim

Mac Danzig vs. Jim Miller
- Miller

C.B. Dollaway vs. Tom Lawlor
- No idea Dolloaway I guess

Matt Grice vs. Shannon Gugerty
-Uhh Gugerty by whatever he does

Asbel

GSP will strike a bit, clinch, push to the fence, takedown and win. Safe way to get a takedown on a 1 hit ko machine. He did it to BJ.

Bishman

UFC WELTERWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP BOUT

Georges “Rush” St. Pierre (18-2) vs. Thiago “Pitbull” Alves (15-3)

GSP is pound for pound the best fighter to ever grace the sport. Fedor, GSP, and Anderson Silva are hands down the best in MMA.

One thing no one in the welterweight division or in MMA period does well as GSP is blend every aspect of mixed martial arts together. GSP can go from striking to takedown to passing the guard to ground and pound to submission. And there is nothing most people can do to stop it.

GSP is too well rounded and has more tools than Alves. GSP is also a very smart fighter and follows his gameplan to a tee.

Thiago Alves is a tough test for GSP. We witness seeing him destroy Hironaka, Lytle, Karo, Hughes, and Koscheck. Alves is really coming into his own where he is able to weather off the takedown and use his muay thai to finish his fights.

The only problem I see for Alves is that he only has one way to win: knockout. GSP has many ways: knockout, (t)knockout, submission, or decision.

GSP can hang with him standing. Alves is no match for GSP on the ground, especially if GSP gets on top. And we have not see Alves pushed to the limit. I see him breaking around the 3rd round and start to gas as GSP keeps pressuring him.

GSP wins by submission in the 3rd round.

UFC HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP BOUT

Brock Lesnar (3-1) vs. Frank Mir (12-3)

This will be a toss up in my opinion. It is anyone ball game depending on the strategy they use. I see Brock Lesnar keeping the fight standing. Mir can't takedown Brock so they will kickbox for a while. Mir should out technique Brock standing but Brock is so powerful that if one hit connects it is either over (Randy) or you go flying (Herring). Mir will most likely stay on the outside and kick the shit out of Brock's legs to weaken them and lower his ability to shoot later in the rounds.

Even though Brock is training with great BJJ guys, I don't think it is enough to improve his BJJ game. He will not want to go to the ground and gambling trying to win the fight there. He will have to win the fight standing. Brock will need to knock him down, avoid Mir's guard and get in side mount and do damage.

Mir just has to pester Brock by mixing up kicks and punches, mainly focusing on kicking Brock's legs for later in the rounds. Then when Brock gets tired, take him down and submit him.

Mir by submission in the 4th round.

Jon Fitch (18-3) vs. Paulo Thiago (11-0)

Thiago win over Koscheck is a fluke. I don't care what anyone says. Fitch will run train all over Thiago.

Fitch by decision.

Dan Henderson(24-7) vs. Michael Bisping (18-1)

I'm rooting for Michael Bisping but Henderson should win this fight. This is Bisping's toughest test. Henderson has never been KO'd. If Bisping tries to stand and trade with Henderson he will go to sleep. Rampage broke his hand standing up and banging with Dan Henderson. Bisping will stick 'n move and rack up points. The only problem is Dan Henderson will chase you and force you to fight. Once he grabs a hold of you, down the ground you go. His greco roman clinch is a vice grip.

I am hoping for Bisping's cardio to be enough to stick 'n move for 3 rounds while avoiding Dan Henderson's clinch.

Yoshihiro “Sexyama” Akiyama (12-1) vs. Alan Belcher (14-5)

Akiyama has finally arrived to the UFC. This will be a great fight to kick off the televised portion of UFC 100. Akiyama is a black belt in Judo. He has good stand up. And submission. One thing I like is how he uses his Judo then transitions to devestating ground and pound or submission.

You can't count out Belcher though. He is a scrappy fight that a lot of people overlook then he pulls the upset.

If Akiyama doesn't have UFC debut jitters and impose his will on Belcher, he wins this fight easy.

Akiyama by submission in the 2nd round.

Mark Coleman (15-9) vs. Stephan Bonnar (13-5)

Coleman is old and needs to retired. He will take down Bonnar at will but Bonnar's bjj skills will neutralize everything Coleman tries to attempt on the ground. Coleman will then gas him self out and Bonnar will rack up points and win by decision.

Mac Danzig (18-6-1) vs. Jim Miller (13-2)

I hate Mac Danzig. I hate his attitude. I hate his personality. Jim Miller is going to make his life a living hell any where the fight goes. Then hopefully Danzig gets cuts from the UFC.

Jim Miller by decision.

Jon Jones (8-0) vs. Jake O'Brien (11-2)

Jon Jones is one sick greco roman fighter. I have never seen anyone toss fighters or do crazy moves like he does. Jake O'Brien is a great wrestler too. This will be a good test for Jon Jones to test his cardio and see how great his wrestling is.

When you have two wrestlers, they usually cancel each other wrestling and the fight is decided standing. Jon Jones will knock out Jake.

Jon Jones by knock out in the 2nd round.

Dong-Hyun "Stun Gun" Kim (11-0-1) vs. T.J. Grant (14-2)

Stun Gun along with Akiyama is showing that Korea has amazing fighters. Stun Gun wins this fight easy.

Stun Gun by decision.

C.B. Dollaway (8-1) vs. Tom Lawlor (5-1)

C.B. Dollaway by decision.

Matt Grice (9-2) vs. Shannon Gugerty (11-3)

Grice.

I was motivated to watch UFC for the first time because of a boy. For the better part of my life I could never imagine people wanting to kick and punch the shit out of each other for money. But this boy really wanted to see the fight, and I figured, if he's so into it, there must be something to this "m-m-a-stuff".

And then I saw Couture's comeback fight. Admittedly, it piqued my interest. So I started watching more.

And then I saw GSP's title fight. And damn, that was cool. I could clearly see a technique, a strategy, and let's face it, I wouldn't kick GSP outta bed. I also started to see the cathartic value of watching guys duke it out.

So now I'm hooked, to the point where I've got some of my girl friends into it. I'm still a noob, but here I am, so I can not be such a noob in the future.

newsguy

BladeWorker said:
I was motivated to watch UFC for the first time because of a boy. For the better part of my life I could never imagine people wanting to kick and punch the shit out of each other for money. But this boy really wanted to see the fight, and I figured, if he's so into it, there must be something to this "m-m-a-stuff".

And then I saw Couture's comeback fight. Admittedly, it piqued my interest. So I started watching more.

And then I saw GSP's title fight. And damn, that was cool. I could clearly see a technique, a strategy, and let's face it, I wouldn't kick GSP outta bed. I also started to see the cathartic value of watching guys duke it out.

So now I'm hooked, to the point where I've got some of my girl friends into it. I'm still a noob, but here I am, so I can not be such a noob in the future.

So are you a girl or a gay guy? Either way I'm surprised there aren't more fans of each of those considering it's half naked guys in amazing shape getting sweaty and rolling around.

newsguy said:
So are you a girl or a gay guy? Either way I'm surprised there aren't more fans of each of those considering it's half naked guys in amazing shape getting sweaty and rolling around.
Female.

And yes, I concur.:lol

Fafnir

My friend's uncle sent him some bootleg VHS tapes (damn I feel old :/ ) of the first UFCs around 94-95. As we watched the fights I picked against Gracie every time, I was sure Shamrock would defeat him...nope, the Beast Dan Severn would overpower him...wrong again, KIMO would destroy him...almost, but Gracie was just too good. Yeah I was not a Gracie fan :lol My friends and I wanted to see kicks to the face instead of guys rolling on each other for 30mins.

Besides those tapes, I had no other access to MMA so I went back to watching WWF(E). Around this time the UFC was being banned in the US and I figured it would just end up dieing. A couple years later a Tekken buddy of mine was telling me about Pride in Japan and how a Japanese pro wrestler was defeating the Gracies. That interested me but this was the days before Youtube so I wouldn't see those Sakuraba fights for years. I think Dana and the Fertittas bought the UFC around then and I vaguely knew who Tito Ortiz was, but never saw him fight, just knew he was the top dog in the UFC at that time.

The Ultimate Fighter Finale 1 was what got me back into MMA, not the Forest vs Bonnar fight, but the Rich Franklin vs Shamrock fight. It was like coming full circle and I rooted for Shamrock and got disappointed once again :lol

My earliest NeoGAF memories I remember browsing one of Boogie's threads (might be the main MMA one) hyping the "fight of the century" of Crocop vs Fedor...I was like, "Who the eff are these eastern European bozos, this guy (Fedor) has a freaking gut and needs some Rogaine!" :lol Needless to say I didn't see any of the Pride fights until it came to US cable with Jay Glazer/Frank Trigg showing the Pride highlights. The Pride fight that sticks out was Crocop vs Big Nog, I was screaming at Nog to get up so Crocop could kick him in the head. Round 2 comes along and patented Big Nog zombie BJJ lures Crocop to the ground and submits him. Took me 10 years but I finally realized how dangerous BJJ was.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Fafnir said:
My earliest NeoGAF memories I remember browsing one of Boogie's threads (might be the main MMA one) hyping the "fight of the century" of Crocop vs Fedor...I was like, "Who the eff are these eastern European bozos, this guy (Fedor) has a freaking gut and needs some Rogaine!" :lol

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53888

Looks like the OP images disappeared from my webspace since then, ah well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom