• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Vaporwave Thread of WTF is Vaporwave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of vapourware labels are doing buy the whole catalog for like $1 at the moment. business casual, neko corp, and now DMT tapes.

I know you can get most of them free but its pretty fetch to have them all in your band camp account.

Links to those? I can't seem to find them and would love to kickstart my Vaporwave collection.

thenexus6

I was browsing band camp and saw that DMT Tapes FL had a sale going $1.35 for 179 albums.

My collection is completely flooded now, I don't even know where to start.

I am pretty new to this type of music, why is every album just full of completely random track names and album art?

I bought a bunch of Dream Catalogue stuff before this, but still curious.

Joe

Does anyone a favorite vaporwave graphics artist or know how I can find a bunch of artists' blogs?

I want to see if anyone catches my eye so I can commission a logo from him/her.

Mandelbo

What is some good dark synth/vapor? Thinking along the lines of Blade Runner OST, but a little more melodic.

Haven't seen Blade Runner unfortunately, but Cytherea Somniare by DARKPYRAMID is absolutely wonderful and is definitely dark and synthy/vapory!

a1814808848_16.jpg

pronk420

Some drama going on today, this HKE guy seems like a real... character...

Interestingly, I'm pretty sure one of the tracks on his Dream catalogue compilation CD is just a loop sampled directly from an echospace tune with some 4/4 drums over it.. (this one: https://dreamcatalogue.bandcamp.com/track/city-of-angels-2).

I'm fine with the way vapourwave is often just sampled loops, but don't act like you're above it and then release tunes on your label that are just straight loops of other electronic music tracks

Fjordson

Some drama going on today, this HKE guy seems like a real... character...

Interestingly, I'm pretty sure one of the tracks on his Dream catalogue compilation CD is just a loop sampled directly from an echospace tune with some 4/4 drums over it.. (this one: https://dreamcatalogue.bandcamp.com/track/city-of-angels-2).

I'm fine with the way vapourwave is often just sampled loops, but don't act like you're above it and then release tunes on your label that are just straight loops of other electronic music tracks
What exactly is going on with dream catalogue? Seems like HKE has taken down a bunch of the albums on there or something?

95% of my Soundcloud is Vaporwave, Future Funk, ___wave. Love the mixes, love the old sounds. But if your Vaporwave song is just fuzzy, buzzing, old radio sounding, no rhythm music, don't even show it to me.

Oh, and the art... I love the art.

pronk420

What exactly is going on with dream catalogue? Seems like HKE has taken down a bunch of the albums on there or something?

I think it's partly because of a fight with some of the artists, and wanting to change the style of the label. That, or a panic about 'samples' (or in at least one case a tune being a slowed down but otherwise unedited version of another artists tune).

Ran rp

What have been the essential releases of the past year or two? I haven't been following the scene as closely as I used to.

Laws00

Is this thread still active?

anything worthwhile come out besides BAE 2 which I just found out came out about a month ago

I've never heard of this genre despite being relatively plugged in to electronic music.

I love it, it feels like the corner chillwave curled up in to smoke opium and slowly fade away.

so funny people talking about Hong Kong Express. I used to go to the same uni as him and i was very good friends with his best mate.

He used to make the most bizarre short films

so funny people talking about Hong Kong Express. I used to go to the same uni as him and i was very good friends with his best mate.

He used to make the most bizarre short films

Im actually doing a night with his label in a few weeks in London. Hes from up north right? thats what I could tell just from the way he speaks via DM on twitter haha

Link for anyone intrested:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1255715234439282/

Pretty hard to find people to ask to help get the word out as it seems no one has every actually put a music night of this stuff on haha.

I really like alot of the 2814 stuff, Looking forward to what HKE has done with Zomby as well.

Bearjewpiter

Neo Member
A   E
E   E
 S S
  T
 H H
E   E
T   T
I   I
C   C
 A A
  E
 S S
T   T
H   H
E   E
T   T
I I
C

sa201674

Banned
Will Vaporwave become mainstream?

The Weeknd's "I feel it Coming" is vaporwavey especially at the beginning of the song and Katy Perry's "Chained To The Rhythm" has some Future Funk vibes which is an off shoot of Vaporwave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom