• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Oily, Gentlemanly Super Spin Fighter 4 Reveal Thread of Kunoichis and Karatekas

Status
Not open for further replies.
mikerossclutchy.jpg

So much ridiculous fucking talent in that one photo alone. All made possible by the arcade scene in socal. YJDK.

Leunam

Damn shame it's not coming to arcades, but I'm still hoping Ono will say "gotcha bitch" and release it anyway.

Lot of truth to that picture. Watching complete strangers play and having everyone cheer around you is a fun experience.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Can't these whiners just make there own custom set-up for competition with this update? There are sticks that work with the game right?

Edit: Never mind, they whine about that too.

gutabo

Kintaro said:
Quit typing and read the links and you will see why it does not work like that. Quit projecting US traits on the rest of the world because it simply doesn't work like that.
This. Also, some random data:
Japan population: 127,590,000
Japan area: 145,883 sq mi

US population: 307,513,000
US area: 3,794,066 sq mi
(thanks wikipedia)
NinajHeartless said:
Mike Ross gives hope to Honda players everywhere (me) :lol
Also this.

Blueblur1

myDingling said:
http://shoryuken.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/mikerossclutchy.jpg[IMG]

So much ridiculous fucking talent in that one photo alone. All made possible by the arcade scene in socal. YJDK.[/QUOTE]
Who the fuck cares? I love Halo but I don't fawn over MLG morons.

Coeliacus

There are other implications that are relevant to both the casual joe and hardcore fighting fans here:
No arcade version means no location tests. For those who don't know, location tests are days where a company will pull several of their beta machines to an arcade, and eager players will attempt to learn the as much as they can about the new game. This data is used by the developers to help balance the game.

Conversly, no arcade version means that the developer can feel free to make any changes they wish to the console version without fear of splitting the community.

A great example of this is Soul Calibur 3. It initially came out on console only, and the balance was TERRIBLE. Many people attributed this at the time to the lack of location tests. After some time, Namco released SC3: AE to both console and arcades. Basically it was an updated version of the game, and the balance of this version is credited as being one of the best in the series.

Now I know Street Fighter isn't Soul Calibur, and Namco isn't Capcom, so history isn't necessarily going to repeat itself. All I'm saying is that there is some benefit to a console only release that should interest everyone playing. I do genuinely that the lack of an arcade release, and the lack of participation by the pros in Japan is going to hurt this games popularity. I also believe that fighters have lagged behind other genres far too long in adaptability because of Japans bloated and flailing arcade industry.

Arde5643

Has there been any exclusive console-release only fighting game that ended up being both balanced and supported for a long time (even if it's just by niche fans)?

Or if not, any exclusive console-release fighting game that satisfies one of those conditions?

Arde5643 said:
Has there been any exclusive console-release only fighting game that ended up being both balanced and supported for a long time (even if it's just by niche fans)?

Or if not, any exclusive console-release fighting game that satisfies one of those conditions?

I wouldn't really say thats fair, considering no reputable series aside from Soul Calibur has ever done a console only game. You're putting SSF4 next to stuff like Evil Zone and Destrega instead of realizing this is more of a new situation.

Zanken said:
There are other implications that are relevant to both the casual joe and hardcore fighting fans here:
No arcade version means no location tests. For those who don't know, location tests are days where a company will pull several of their beta machines to an arcade, and eager players will attempt to learn the as much as they can about the new game. This data is used by the developers to help balance the game.

Conversly, no arcade version means that the developer can feel free to make any changes they wish to the console version without fear of splitting the community.

A great example of this is Soul Calibur 3. It initially came out on console only, and the balance was TERRIBLE. Many people attributed this at the time to the lack of location tests. After some time, Namco released SC3: AE to both console and arcades. Basically it was an updated version of the game, and the balance of this version is credited as being one of the best in the series.

Now I know Street Fighter isn't Soul Calibur, and Namco isn't Capcom, so history isn't necessarily going to repeat itself. All I'm saying is that there is some benefit to a console only release that should interest everyone playing. I do genuinely that the lack of an arcade release, and the lack of participation by the pros in Japan is going to hurt this games popularity. I also believe that fighters have lagged behind other genres far too long in adaptability because of Japans bloated and flailing arcade industry.
What? Soul Calibur III Arcade Edition never got a home port.

Arde5643

Snapshot King said:
The console characters all turned out fine, and they were all house balanced. All Bs and Cs aren't they?
None of the console characters are really tourney-proven though since you have a really small sample of great players using those console characters.

The only I'm seeing as tourney worthy is Gen. The others, you still have too small of a sample to see whether or not they can be used reliably in tournaments.
The only one using Sakura reliably is Saber.
The only one using Rose reliably is Saqs.

From what most people are saying though, almost all of the console characters save for Gen/Seth are lower tier to low middle tier. So C to D ranks.

Steaks

_dementia said:
IIRC the Japanese and European version was the same as the Arcade one. Americans basically beta tested for the rest of the world.

LosDaddie

Banned
myDingling said:
I know why the elitist/competitive players care, even if I agree/disagree with them. But for those making the counter argument, what's it matter if people get butthurt over no arcade release? You get your console game either way.

The way I see it; The argument isn't about us little people not caring about an arcade release or not. (Because the arcade scene is essentially dead to us.) The argument is about the elitists telling us little people that we should care....and basically thank the tourney-players for keeping the genre alive.

Kintaro said:
Anyway, here is hoping this is some misunderstanding and Super SF4 Arcade happens. Japan is very important to the overall fighting game scene. It would be very strange to see Capcom just leave its own country high and dry like that as well..

Will Japan not get SUPER on consoles?

Arde5643

LosDaddie said:
My bad, I guess the thread does move too fast for its own good.

The OP should probably be updated with this excellent posts from Oichi.

Read up this posts, Los:
Oichi said:

Basically, without an arcade release, the Japanese scene for SSF4 and SF4 will die down pretty quickly since the pros will just play something else in the arcades and just play SSF4 casually at home.
Since the fighting level will go down because of this, that'd be less people interested in competitively playing the game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Blueblur1 said:
Who the fuck cares? I love Halo but I don't fawn over MLG morons.
Yep. I don't really get it, myself.

Arde5643 said:
If you've been reading the thread, which I'm sure you hadn't, you'd figure out on your own that without an arcade release, SSF4 is dead on the scene for both core and casuals in Japan.

Oichi already put out some posts explaining this - learn to read.

I'm sure he can read just fine. This thread is moving mighty fast for a lot of people to catch up.

Coeliacus

_dementia said:
Guess that's what happens when I pay attention to the SC scene for the first few months of both 3 and 4s release. :lol

edit: Oh, read Kensk post... that makes sense. I'm Aussie and I'm pretty sure the local scene here used to play both versions.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Even assuming that the lack of SSF4 arcade would effectively kill the game for Japan, I don't see how that's going to affect us as much as people think. The Marvel scene isn't exactly tiddlywinks and it's basically a US-only game.

fubarduck

ZealousD said:
Even assuming that the lack of SSF4 arcade would effectively kill the game for Japan, I don't see how that's going to affect us as much as people think. The Marvel scene isn't exactly tiddlywinks and it's basically a US-only game.

The reason the Marvel scene exploded in the US was due to the arcade version. If MVC2 had never seen an arcade release, a scene literally wouldn't exist today.

LosDaddie

Banned
Arde5643 said:
If you've been reading the thread, which I'm sure you hadn't, you'd figure out on your own that without an arcade release, SSF4 is dead on the scene for both core and casuals in Japan.

:lol No, I've been reading this thread.

I'd just like to know how Capcom is leaving Japan high & dry when they too get the console version.

Yknow what I don't get? There's so much crying and gnashing of teeth going on in here. What does it matter? Your whining isn't going to change anything. Why not save your energy? Play some SF4.

Steaks

LosDaddie said:

I'd just like to know how Capcom is leaving Japan high & dry when they too get the console version.
Because a large majority of their entire market is in arcades.

LosDaddie

Banned
Arde5643 said:
the Japanese scene for SSF4 and SF4 will die down pretty quickly since the pros will just play something else in the arcades and just play SSF4 casually at home.

Ah, so you do agree that Capcom isn't leaving Japan high & dry. Just that the Japanese don't want to transition over to the console version.

Arde5643

LosDaddie said:

Read up the posts from Oichi - the arcade scene is still going strong in JP, so having a fighting game not released in arcades means that JP won't play it competitively.

If there's no competition in a fighting game scene, well, that means said fighting game is dead.

That's it, really.

LosDaddie said:
Ah, so you do agree that Capcom isn't leaving Japan high & dry. Just that the Japanese don't want to transition over to the console version.
Since you're really hung up on semantics....

Capcom is leaving the Japanese competition scene high and dry. :)

Snapshot King said:
Yknow what I don't get? There's so much crying and gnashing of teeth going on in here. What does it matter? Your whining isn't going to change anything. Why not save your energy? Play some SF4.

I wish. I'm at work goddamnit.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
LosDaddie said:

Did you see how well SF4 sold on consoles in Japan? The answer is, not very. Super SF4 will sell even less.

They don't play these games at home as much as they do in the arcades. What is so hard to understand about this? If the arcade scene was alive and well anywhere near me, I wouldn't have bought SF4 either.

fubarduck

LosDaddie said:

It's not that they don't want to, it's that they literally can't. Japanese culture is different. You don't just go to people's houses and hang out like in the West. Do you think they are going to overhaul their entire culture to accommodate one game? Remove trains and replace them with more roads and vehicles? Replace urban sprawls with huge houses, and then sell them for sub-prime mortgage rates?

They'll just play something else.

Steaks

Kintaro said:
Did you see how well SF4 sold on consoles in Japan? The answer is, not very. Super SF4 will sell even less.

They don't play these games at home as much as they do in the arcades. What is so hard to understand about this?
He doesn't care, that's why he's arguing with you.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Arde5643 said:
My bad, I guess the thread does move too fast for its own good.

The OP should probably be updated with this excellent posts from Oichi.

Read up this posts, Los:

Basically, without an arcade release, the Japanese scene for SSF4 and SF4 will die down pretty quickly since the pros will just play something else in the arcades and just play SSF4 casually at home.
Since the fighting level will go down because of this, that'd be less people interested in competitively playing the game.

You guys really underestimate the creative ability of Americans. It's not Magical Sugoiland that brings the innovation- it's getting the game first. We'll innovate just fine.

Japan can always put the consoles in boxes, or play on PSN/XBL (not like they lag with each other)

That said, they'll get an arcade release- I'm sure of it.

So much whining over this- this thread needs more Heavy Weapons Guy at this rate. ^_^

Oh, Justin Wong is going to start using Fei Long to see if he's tourney worthy. I'm betting he is.

LosDaddie

Banned
Kintaro said:

They don't play these games at home as much as they do in the arcades. What is so hard to understand about this?

No, I understand your point perfectly.

My point, however, is that Capcom isn't leaving Japan high & dry since they will get the console version too.

Once again, something that no ones ever even addressed. So WHAT if the japanese skip the game ENTIRELY? Over here we'll start up console scenes like the one I mentioned in Montreal. THAT one is working out amazingly well. Are you saying that the rest of the world is too fucking lazy to even give it a shot? Or that without the MAGICAL ASIAN DAIGO SKILLS the scene'll die?

Snapshot King said:

I would play but I have to go get some oral surgery :/

Arde5643

arstal said:
You guys really underestimate the creative ability of Americans. It's not Magical Sugoiland that brings the innovation- it's getting the game first. We'll innovate just fine.
Well, losing a great competitor is still a big loss though - mostly for those who follow the scene or play the game competitively.

This is pretty much like how it will feel if the UFC suddenly bans all Brazillian fighters on joining the UFC.
Sure, you still have excellent and talented American/Canadian/UK/European fighters in the UFC, but can you still call it the best in the world?

PS: In case you don't follow UFC scene, the best middleweight and light heavyweight fighter in the world are two Brazillians who are pretty much untouchable by most fighters.
That's how it feels for people who follow the SF4 scene when they heard that Japan won't be getting the updates in the arcades.

Arde5643

LosDaddie said:
:lol Not at all.

Competition-level players are in the extreme minority of who plays SFIV
I'd say the MvC and SF3 scene (small as they are) are still alive thanks to those competition level players.

But again, it doesn't really matter to you since for you SF4 is just the flavor of the month.

Snapshot King said:
Once again, something that no ones ever even addressed. So WHAT if the japanese skip the game ENTIRELY? Over here we'll start up console scenes like the one I mentioned in Montreal. THAT one is working out amazingly well. Are you saying that the rest of the world is too fucking lazy to even give it a shot? Or that without the MAGICAL ASIAN DAIGO SKILLS the scene'll die?

Fucking god.

Private console get togethers != public arcade competition

They're harder to put together.

You can't get as many people.

Individuals need to put in work as opposed to business operating for profit.

You tend to play the same people over and over and don't learn much beyond that.

Arde5643 said:
I'd say the MvC and SF3 scene (small as they are) are still alive thanks to those competition level players.

But again, it doesn't really matter to you since for you SF4 is just the flavor of the month.

Because he doesn't believe that the top level guys are the only ones keeping the genre alive SF4s a flavour of the month to him? We're all friends here, how bout we hop off the discredit train and STOP CRYING.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom