• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 has Dynamic destruction.

spekkeh

Banned
Based on what we saw in the two live gameplay demonstrations, The Order: 1886 will be a cover-based shooter with an over-the-shoulder camera perspective in the style of Resident Evil 4 or Gears of War.
Well that's disappointing. These games are too difficult for me to play, what with my eyes rolling every which way when I see battle stages with chest high walls.

Sounds really really good. I hope they take a good look at what ME 3 did with its multiplayer and no so much Gears pvp but thats just me.

The title has a mistake in it, its "The Order 1886", not 1866.

also:
9560204566_c5ab4293f3_b.jpg

I need that theme. Now o_O

I wonder if King Arthur will show up in the game :p

Navigate the city huh? Open world then?

I think a set-up like Deus Ex: HR would be good. It's obviously going to be a linear shooter, but some degree of a hub world or limited freedom to approach objectives would be great. It would be a shame if RAD created this superb steampunk London and only limited us to tiny highly-linear sections of it.

This is going to be a cover-based shooter, isn't it :/

I'm guessing Sony wants to position this as their Gears of War for PS4. It looks like it's doing some things to mix it up though (dynamic destruction and, supposedly, a free roaming environment) so hopefully it's not just a straight up mechanics and design clone.

I really trust Ready at Dawn to create a well designed game, especially after the superb work they did with the God of War franchise.

This will be the Uncharted of PS4

That's pretty much what I want out of this, UC with a steampunk coat of paint. I want this game to supplement the combat with some light platforming/adventure/puzzle elements like UC just so I can soak up this fucking gorgeous world and all these beautiful mustaches

Kvikmyndahús;77676481 said:
Why oh why can't they make it an RPG. Sigh.

I'll grumble all the way to PSN store to buy it anyway.

So with you buddy.

Such wasted potential of a setting.

Wouldn't have to be proper open-world, I just don't want that world confined to a linear shooter.

Shit I'd have preferred if it weren't a shooter full stop.

Hopefully it's more than just some linear roller-coaster. I'd like a hub in the city, maybe a base of operations hidden somewhere where you can go between missions.

Core to the gameplay huh? This is exactly what I've wanted from next gen. Destructible environments and advanced physics are my two next gen wishes. So long as devs don't include them as gimmicky eye candy things and make them core to gameplay, I'm one happy camper.

Ready At Dawn has been pegged by many here as the next break out developer long before The Order was announced.

Loudninja

More details on the tech demo:
The game’s camera remains centered behind Galahad as he runs around, his outfit realistically reacting to his every move. When Weerasuriya aimed one of Galahad’s weapons, however, the camera moves over, giving players an over-the-shoulder view of the protagonist. We saw Galahad shooting quite a bit in these demonstrations (with both a machinegun and an air burst rifle) as Weerasuriya established a key tenet of The Order: 1886: realistic environmental interactivity.
Weerasuriya went wild with Galahad’s weaponry, showing the destruction of fences, tables, and other items lying around a sterile, textureless environment. The idea was to show that little items act realistically. A wooden pail blown off of a table will roll around with its handle interrupting its movement; most games would treat this object like any other, or ignore your ability to interact with it completely. If he shot metal, it would dent instead of showing bullet holes. Glass, on the other hand, shatters. At one point, he threw one of Galahad’s grenades – which look a great deal like World War II potato mashers – into a box suspended in the air. It detonated into dynamic shrapnel that look like a far cry from a current-gen explosion.
The second demonstration showed an outdoor courtyard that looked a little rudimentary and simple, but may very well end up being in the final game in an updated form. Here, Weerasuriya showed similar features. The most interesting thing he talked about here was in relation to flags hanging around the courtyard. Each waved independently of one another; each looked different and unique not in design, but in movement. This is due to them reacting not to code that tells them to wave, but rather to in-engine wind physics.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/22/gamescom-technology-meets-antiquity-in-ps4s-the-order-1886

Hnng. Hnnnnnnnnng
Back in September of 2011, when pre-production of The Order: 1886 was in full swing, 20 of Ready at Dawn’s artists and designers traveled to London, England for a week’s worth of on-scene research. The Order takes place in an alternate history version of London, and the team behind the game felt that it was important to see the capital city for themselves.

The result of their trip was “a hell of a lot of pictures,” over 38,000 of them, in fact. But these weren’t all pictures of landmarks and buildings. A vast majority of them were of completely minor things few travelers would ever think of snapping shots of. They took pictures of bricks, and door hinges, and ornate wooden borders. In an attempt to make The Order: 1886 as authentic to Victorian England as possible, they wanted to focus on the little things, an interesting parallel to RAD 4.0’s identical focus of making those little things believable.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/22/gamescom-technology-meets-antiquity-in-ps4s-the-order-1886

I'm guessing Sony wants to position this as their Gears of War for PS4. It looks like it's doing some things to mix it up though (dynamic destruction and, supposedly, a free roaming environment) so hopefully it's not just a straight up mechanics and design clone.

I really trust Ready at Dawn to create a well designed game, especially after the superb work they did with the God of War franchise.

I don't think Sony needs their "own" Gears of War because t wouldn't surprise me if Gears went multiplat.

Binabik15

Would've bought it just for the setting, but good destruction makes me happy in games. First thing I do when I see bottles or furniture in a new game is trying to break it or kick it around by slamming into it. That and getting used to the weapons by trying to shot portraits right between the eyes.

Seriously, a female friend of mine who is big into the vampires/werewolves book thing heard "steampunk" and "werewolves" and is now wanting to play this based on that alone. She was a part time Wii gamer at one point.

Is it really that easy to lure those kind of people in? I joked that all they need now is a brooding teenager with relationship issues and she would start going to gaming cons. LOL

wapplew

Interesting concept......Check
Third person action adventure.....Check
Developer with great record.......Check
Ambitious project....Check
Art direction that fit my taste.....Check
Protagonist with beard.....Check
You have my attention.gif

Top Bottom