• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 | Impressions Thread of not shooting the messenger.

mejin

Look at all these posts you saved of people saying they're buying The Witcher 3 for the PS4 just because they have the nerve to say they're buying The Witcher 3 for the PS4.

166.gif

Beyond childish for me to critize the game base don gameplay and the comments of an owner, or for people who haven't even touched the game to defend it to death?

Childish that you watched youtube video, posted "impressions" of it without saying you watched a youtube video. Childish that you said the ban was worth it because you pissed "the fanboys" off.

And from what I see, most people, those who are excited for it are taking a wait and see approach. You on the other hand without touching the game can tell us exactly what the gameplay is like because you watched a video. I prefer to play something before I can accurately assess what a game plays like.

I had almost zero interest in this game but after reading the comments about the story pacing and development of characters I'm now really inteested in this. I got bored with the cover based shooter a long time ago and the only thing that will pull me into them is story related.

IvorB

The game might be the best looking game ever released on console and the sound design is outstanding. If that's what you're looking for: Buy it.

The gameplay is very "traditional". If you're not burned out on Gears/Uncharted gunplay and if smart AI and unscripted events aren't at the top of your list of things a game has to have: Buy it.

Is the AI sh*t? Is this gonna be waist-high walls, enemy turtling and duck-shooting?

Beyond childish for me to critize the game base don gameplay and the comments of an owner, or for people who haven't even touched the game to defend it to death?

Beyond childish you give such a detailed review, based on something that u never ever tried, or saw in person, and now you take a defensive aproach (my "friend" has it), after you bash the game saying its best experienced on youtube.

You deserve another Ban...Did I ever tell you what insanity is ?!

Kinthalis

Banned
You watched it on youtube and you come in here with that post.
I think the one word I would use to describe that is pathetic.

Hmmm...I'm pretty sure I also mentioned my friend who got an early copy.

And also, the personal insults continue.

NO: Kinthalis you're wrong becuase this and that. Or even: Kinthalis you're full of shit 'cause inf act this puzzle was 3 steps that took some sleuthing to pice together.

Or Kinthalis: The gun play feels better than it looks becuase of x and y and z. Get your hea don.

Instead I get: Kinthalis you troll, you're pathetic, etc, etc.

Ok.

NO: Kinthalis you're wrong becuase this and that. Or even: Kinthalis you're full of shit 'cause inf act this puzzle was 3 steps that took some sleuthing to pice together.

Or Kinthalis: The gun play feels better than it looks becuase of x and y and z. Get your hea don.

Ok.

Dude you literally said the ban was worth it because you upset the fanboys, why should anyone give you or your impressions a serious look?

Ok.

I have never run into this on gaf. How have you lasted this long?

Kinthalis

Banned
Damn this is just embarrassing stuff.

What the fuck? Tlak about taking shit out of context.

Some PC guy came into the thread and basically posted one line: Awesone getting it for PC for the graphics, or somehting along those lines.

Then some PS4 guy started crying saying the weirdest shit about how he's not contributing to the thread, it's just a fly by post, he gets that PC will be better, but it's stupid for PC gamers to just come into a thread and say: "I'm getting it for PC!!"

So I put in the Ps4 people who said the EXACT same thing over the previous couple of pages.

There's nothing wrong with what the PS4 people did, that's not what I was saying. I just thought it was super weird that apparently, to that guy, a PC gamer can't come in just to say that he's picking it up for PC, but it's perfeclty fine for PS4 gamers to do the same thing.

I think it's fine for either.

So again, I don't get why you are linking to this post. That's just some weird hate.

Dynedom

Lol perfect.

As far as the posted impressions go, they haven't deterred me. Seems like this is going to be a UC1 in terms of untapped potential. Hopefully it sells well enough so they can attempt a UC1->UC2 jump in quality.

Will grab this day one.

Yes, a ban for fighting with people about how watching The Order on Youtube would be the same as playing it.

Oh wow lol I think we have a real glimpse at this phenomena in action:

Originally posted by >-Baron-Spamedi-<

Don't be crazy. You're letting your hands-on actual real life experience cloud your judgement and confuse you into thinking this game is more than 5 minutes long.

This isn't panic. It's what happens when 'concern' and 'trolling' reach critical mass. They are crushed, under the gravity of their own self-importance, down to a singularity - a point at which criticisms are infinitely dense. All sensible thoughts are sucked inexorably towards it only to be crushed out of existence.
This phenomena is known as a Black Troll.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=152160569&postcount=5658

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you, the supermassive black troll:

So obviously some of the stuff a lot of people were thinking with this game are graphics and destruction: the early demos showed off some building explosions with the thermite.

So far, from what I've seen, the graphics are pretty damn good. The materials based shaders look pretty amazing. Shadows are so so. Most are baked, but the dynamic ones are solid, rather than softer the farther away from the oclusion, like from a last gen game, some are aliased, and some kind of appear and disappear feet away from the camera. The mesh quality - the hair for once! All really nice. The character faces look outstanding as well.

Destruciton is super scripted. With half a building coming down in one scripted spot, and then firing the same weapon at a nearby windows does nothing.

Even the incredibly basic puzzle elements aren't really puzzle elements at all. They just want you to move up to some "thing" and hold down a button. Then "puzzle" solves itself. Like someone thought of a way to engage the player, and then someone else completely gutted it, 'cause fuck no, we don't want the player engaged.

Really, the "Gameplay" in this game is laughable. And I thought the Last of Us was rather bad, well it's a friggin Bioware RPG + a telltale game in comparison to this. The only actual gameplay are the short shooting sequences, but they are like something out of a COD campaign 5 years ago. Shooting galleries, with scripted events. You cna almost see how things trigger the moment the character steps over some invisible line.

I think the length is fine. How much more insta fail QTE's could a person take?

delta25

Banned
What the fuck? Tlak about taking shit out of context.

Some PC guy came into the thread and basically posted one line: Awesone getting it for PC for the graphics, or somehting along those lines.

Then some PS4 guiy started crying saying the weirdest shit abotu how he's not contribnuting to the thread, it's just a fly by post, he gets that PC will be better, but it's stupid for PC gamers to just come into a thread and say: "I'm getting it for PC!!"

So I put in the Ps4 people who said the EXACT same thing over the previous couple of pages.

There's nothign wrong with what the PS4 people did, that's not what I was saying.

are you drunk?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Ok.
I would totally respond to you in you're preferred manner if the game was out and you had actually played it.

Come on guys, forget about the dude. Let's don't get this thread locked too.
The easiest way to deal with him is either ignore him or literally stick him on your ignore list. If we don't engage him, maybe he'll go stink up another Order thread.

Back to real impressions: has anyone commented on the melee combat? Does it feel strong and brutal all the way through? I saw some previews where it looked awesome and some shots where the landed hits didn't seem as satisfying.

takoyaki

Is the AI sh*t? Is this gonna be waist-high walls, enemy turtling and duck-shooting?

Pretty much. It's all very scripted. The AI isn't that great and my favorite thing was a conga line of a few enemies that came rushing at me from the side while I was in cover. They ran straight at me without firing a bullet, just waiting to be gunned down.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Heh, I forgot to cancel my Best Buy order and they shipped the game out way early. Should be here tomorrow. Please don't disappoint. ;_;

Pretty much. It's all very scripted. the AI isn't that great and my favorite thing was a conga line of a few enemies that came rushing at me from the side while I was in cover. They ran straight at me without firing a bullet, just waiting to be gunned down.
I don't want to be that guy, but what difficulty did you play on?

shandy706

Reading the above and going off memory (which is horrible I admit)..

Does the game have destructible environments?

Or is it more like some things can be destroyed in real time...like pillars here and there and certain objects?

I love destructible environments.

MrxDemix

Banned
To break up all the negativity I just want to say that the performances by the actors in The Order are incredible. There's a lot of achievement here that will sadly be overlooked

Ricky_R

The easiest way to deal with him is either ignore him or literally stick him on your ignore list. If we don't engage him, maybe he'll go stink up another Order thread.

Back to real impressions: has anyone commented on the melee combat? Does it feel strong and brutal all the way through? I saw some previews where it looked awesome and some shots where the landed hits didn't seem as satisfying.

I agree and that's why I also replied to some of the stuff people quoted from him, but sometimes it goes on for too long to the point where it gets threads locked.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
To break up all the negativity I just want to say that the performances by the actors in The Order are incredible. There's a lot of achievement here that will sadly be overlooked

Damn straight. Some solid scriptwriting and dialogue too.

Alienous

From what I've seen it's legitimately good. I think a lot of the subtleties of the performances coming through in the faces really helps it.

Kinthalis

Banned
Damn straight. Some solid scriptwriting and dialogue too.

I said the same damn thing. But I guess it doesn't count.

All my "negativity" included tons of praise too.

Hell, I've leveled more praise at this game than a lot of the people on this thread.

I think the writing is excellent. The story I think is better than TLOU in some ways, and selling it in a world that is nothing like ours, probably made that harder on their writing team than the team from TLOU.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Maybe he's so convinced about it that he thinks another ban is worth it. Great determination if you ask me.
That's pretty much how he was on the GameSpot forums, so don't expect a change anytime soon unfortunately. He's one of the few that genuinely believe in the whole PC Master Race thing. I don't know if that fact is scary, or sad.

Reading the above and going off memory (which is horrible I admit)..

Does the game have destructible environments?

Or is it more like some things can be destroyed in real time...like pillars here and there and certain objects?

I love destructible environments.
Not really. Very limited in that regard sadly.

takoyaki

I don't want to be that guy, but what difficulty did you play on?

Fair point, I'm playing on the medium difficulty. That's my go to difficulty in those kinds of games, I've played GoW1-3/Uncharted/TLOU/even Dark Sector...The AI in the Order is not the smartest, but it's also not a deal breaker.

Top Bottom