• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 | Impressions Thread of not shooting the messenger.

IcyEyes

just everything. They had to make a engine for this game so now they have the time and resources to make a kick ass sequel.

It is very nice to see a AAA game that works as advertised and not broken. I am excited to play it.

Did you play this game ? (honest question really)

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
I'm also curious about the re playability thing. Is there a large skill curve? What about the game makes you want to replay it?

The many weapons you can charge into an encounter with.

There are many encounters you'll leave thinking "I wonder how it could have gone if I had gone this way with this weapon, used blacksight here, chucked a grenade there, etc."

Since the game treats itself like a movie in the sense that it has down time, and in the sense that the shootouts assault you with very movie like looks, you don't realize you could have done things differently till the dust settles, so you're always left thinking you wanna do that again. That's what I feel gives it replayability.

Footos22

again: da fuk

seriously stop, no ones a child because they want some value for their $60. Whether that means a longer SP campaign, replay-ability, MP, coop, etc... doesn't matter.

Guess you went alive when 2 hour long megadrive games cost £60. Games these days are a bargain in comparison.

Kathian

Banned
both the film industry and the games industry would do wise to look at The Order as the current shining example of what the medium can achieve.

I'll wait and see on this; never played a single game whose story goes above tv or film let alone books. Only game is Kid Icarus in terms of the hilarious script; but a serious drama? We'll see.

Intrigued OP anyway.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
The only thing i don't understand is people that knows that the game is "cinematic" and linear, and decide to watch the entire thing on youtube before playing.

They don't want to play it and they never did... I'm so worried one of these people is going to drop a megaton spoiler in one of these threads...

MrxDemix

Banned
From what I am reading, seems the game is really polished, but uninspired and generic. I hope I am wrong.

I'm five hours in, and generic is definitely not the right word. The setting/theme makes it stand out among the thousands of games on the market.

The problem I have is that there is a significant prevalence of cutscenes, and the action sections leave little room for choice. This, combined with the game's strongly linear level design (along the lines of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune) makes it feel quite unexciting. If you don't fall in love with the story, you're toast.

I still have a few hours to go, but it definitely hasn't blown me away thus far.

Vanquish like replayability? Watched the entire game on YT and I don't see this. Vanquish was made to be replayed over and over gain trying to best your times on levels, creating your own path to get your time down, so many routes or combat options. Could you expand on this some more?
I didn't watch it on youtube (why dude?) but i was wondering the same. Vanquish had scores for every level and was very inviting to play levels again.

Mr E.

The only thing i don't understand is people that knows that the game is "cinematic" and linear, and decide to watch the entire thing on youtube before playing.
Maybe instead of buying it perhaps. If it's a cinematic thing with a great story I could see myself saving some cash and just watching it.

bombshell

I'll wait and see on this; never played a single game whose story goes above tv or film let alone books. Only game is Kid Icarus in terms of the hilarious script; but a serious drama? We'll see.

Intrigued OP anyway.

He wasn't referring to the story.

There are many encounters you'll leave thinking "I wonder how it could have gone if I had gone this way with this weapon, used blacksight here, chucked a grenade there, etc."

Since the game treats itself like a movie in the sense that it has down time, and in the sense that the shootouts assault you with very movie like looks, you don't realize you could have done things differently till the dust settles, so you're always left thinking you wanna do that again. That's what I feel gives it replayability.
Did you pay full price for the game?

Loudninja

I've got a question... Let's say I'm 8 chapters deep but I want to go back and play from one of the earlier chapters... Is there an option to do that? My roommate wants to watch me play it to see if he'd like it. I'm not going to wait around for him before I start but I'd really hate to spoil the story. Is that possible?
Yeah their is a chapter select.

I'm five hours in, and generic is definitely not the right word. The setting/theme makes it stand out among the thousands of games on the market.

The problem I have is that there is a significant prevalence of cutscenes, and the action sections leave little room for choice. This, combined with the game's strongly linear level design (along the lines of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune) makes it feel quite unexciting. If you don't fall in love with the story, you're toast.

I still have a few hours to go, but it definitely hasn't blown me away thus far.

This just adds to what we have seen so far is what we're getting, especially with the PSX demo, so whoever hasn't enjoyed that I would suggest to avoid till a price drop. Thanks for the impressions btw.

Sou Da

Intrigued OP anyway.

Doesn't this game actually have a "We're not so different you and I" line?

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Yup. From what I've seen and read so far, this aspect is exactly like Uncharted 2. The only replayability hook, if any, is to relive the story and gameplay sequences. Like re-watching a good movie. I don't agree with the vanquish comparison either. There isn't an additive experience or goal that the game offers as an incentive. It's the game itself. That's how I felt about all UC games and TLOU as well.

Well, for me Vanquish was a very no-frills experience too, in the sense that, this is the spectacle, this is the bread and butter, now just play with it, kind of thing.

You also could just play it very simply. Clear out a room. Move on. Watch cutscene. Move on. Or you could mix it up.

That's the comparison. I'm not drawing a huge parallel. It's just to illustrate that point. Guess it just made it more confusing.

jett

D-Member
Personally, I think it harkens back to Metal Gear Solid in terms of pacing, to Killzone 2 for its gunplay theatricality, and to Vanquish, for its replayability. It is by no means a short game, either. It's pacing is dictated by the unskippable cutscenes and expository quasi-interactive sections.

That's going to kill replayability, you know. The cut-scenes in this game are numerous and they're lengthy. If I was forced to watch the cut-scenes in a PG game every time I played them, well, they would be one-way tickets for me. :p

viveks86

Well, for me Vanquish was a very no-frills experience too, in the sense that, this is the spectacle, this is the bread and butter, now just play with it, kind of thing.

You also could just play it very simply. Clear out a room. Move on. Watch cutscene. Move on. Or you could mix it up.

That's the comparison. I'm not drawing a huge parallel. It's just to illustrate that point. Guess it just made it more confusing.

Yup. I think we agree on this now.

Audioboxer

Maybe instead of buying it perhaps. If it's a cinematic thing with a great story I could see myself saving some cash and just watching it.

If it's due to cash you're advised to wait for a sale/price drop or rent. Watching on YT should really just be for those who have zero intentions of buying.

Wat!?

I thought I could only do that while playing Xbox games... god damnit!

efc5ee08ef81707a79838ff0e6f4f401.jpg

You're not a true gamer unless you have a closet filled with these and a drone delivery system for your Doritos.

I've also been handcrafting some mustaches from boar hair so that I can wear one at all times.

IcyEyes

from impressions it looks like its not broken and performs well.

Ok, thank you.
I asked because you wrote you have hope for a massive improvement for the sequel and maybe you already know why/where this game needs improvements.
Nothing more :)

despire

That's going to kill replayability, you know. The cut-scenes in this game are numerous and they're lengthy. If I was forced to watch the cut-scenes in a PG game every time I played them, well, they would be one-way tickets for me. :p

Why does it kill the replayability? Maybe some people want to watch the cutscenes more than once you know..

duckroll

I wish I could articulate better how classy this game sounds, moves and looks.

The eerie, creeping strings, brass and all-male choir in the score softly pouring into your ears as you slowly walk through a warmly lit Victorian house and step out a window to the wet London rooftops at night...

Wow... *~*

It doesn't feel like uncharted or TLOU. It's very stylized to the point it feels different. Must be the camera placement and speed, as well the character animation.

Not sure. :/

It's also not super fast. It's more methodical than Uncharted, which is where the TLOU comparisons come in.

A little bird flew in one morning. ;3

I think everyone appreciates that you are posting impressions about the game, and it's great to have a thread where people are talking about the actual game, rather than the usual shitslinging garbage.

So don't take this the wrong way, but from your descriptions of the game mechanics and gameplay content, my impression is that this is a very stylistic game which could give players ~the feels~ if they connect with the visual style and presentation, but doesn't do anything different with the actual design in the shooting, cover, and encounters. It's clear that you're very emotionally taken by the game, but the more you try to express it in specific terms, the more it sounds like every other shooter. Except more stylish. More cinematic. ~More feels~.

Do you think that would be accurate?

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.

Sure, but if you are interested in playing the game why watch the entire playthrough?

I see no problem in watching some segments (i already done it countless times), and let's be fair you don't lose 5 hours watching something that doesn't interest you. And if you want to know all the details about the game why not play it? Even after some time when the price is more reasonable for you.

It doesn't look it has much replayability tbh, The numerous cutscenes are unskippable, and that alone is quite fustrating when replaying. I bet the game's going to be good though (especially after your descriptions) :p

jett

D-Member
Why does it kill the replayability? Maybe some people want to watch the cutscenes more than once you know..

He made the direct comparison to Vanquish, and Vanquish is a game your replay strictly for the gameplay. Honestly the comparison there just didn't make sense to me to begin with.

Nice thought out posts, but I've always felt that early impressions from people excited enough to look for games before release are somewhat unreliable. The flowery impressions about a standard third person cover mechanic don't help.

The thing about Uncharted is that while they're pretty straightforward, I still found myself taking the time to explore and appreciate the environments, despite being "gamey." Is this game like that, or do you feel like you're literally on rails? Also, just how much of it are cutscenes? I felt like Uncharted balanced it really well. It had a lot, but it also had a lot of gameplay too.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
I think everyone appreciates that you are posting impressions about the game, and it's great to have a thread where people are talking about the actual game, rather than the usual shitslinging garbage.

So don't take this the wrong way, but from your descriptions of the game mechanics and gameplay content, my impression is that this is a very stylistic game which could give players ~the feels~ if they connect with the visual style and presentation, but doesn't do anything different with the actual design in the shooting, cover, and encounters. It's clear that you're very emotionally taken by the game, but the more you try to express it in specific terms, the more it sounds like every other shooter. Except more stylish. More cinematic. ~More feels~.

Do you think that would be accurate?

I haven't played the whole game, but I think you're pretty much spot on. Mechanically speaking, The Order is fairly by the books (albeit very well done, with a couple flourishes like the slow-mo shooting power and less garishly integrated QTEs) but what I was impressed most with is the general aesthetic, much like Rapier was. Of course, if you're not into the vibe then there's less to enjoy, but I think as a shooter it's still very enjoyable.

BiGBoSSMk23

Ok now you're just sounding like a marketing shill.

Could you elaborate more on what you were saying about the cover mechanics? From what you described it sounds like every other 3rd person cover shooter. Is it closer to Gears of War or Uncharted?

Also how is the combat handled in the game, is it straight up corridor shooter with cover or does it present combat arenas you can navigate around and pick different routes?

Really unnecessary accusation, but I'll reply anyway.

There are both arenas, like the Uncharted 3 shipyard, and corridors like the rebel alleyway seen in gameplay demos.

Rapier, you seem quite keen on the gameplay yet 'by no means scarce' is a slightly worrying phrase.

Would you have liked more gameplay sections, or do you think the balance is about right for the kind of game it is setting out to be?

Also does this game make you excited for potential sequels or othe home console games from RAD?

The balance is right. It doesn't have the DEEPEST vertical slice of a game out there, but it's just right for what it is.

For example, the amount of gameplay in MGS4 is minimal compared to cinematic run time, but you can dick off and do a million different things in any given area that the game part takes over.

In The Order you can't do a million different things but it's not shallow as some think it is. For "cinematic TPS" standards, the gameplay sections are generous for improvisation.

I'm excited for sequel potential. Also, this engine is an absolute beast.

-MD-

I really can't wrap my head around comparing the game's replayability to Vanquish. I really disagree with that.

Nice thought out posts, but I've always felt that early impressions from people excited enough to look for games before release are somewhat unreliable. The flowery impressions about a standard third person cover mechanic don't help.

Understand your line of thinking, but how do you know he actively tried to get this. Maybe there's a store that he knows of and when places started breaking the street date he gave them a call and picked it up. It's no different than him picking it up at a Gamestop later on.

KingFire

Banned

That is rarely the case. One of the major complains about Max Payne 3 was the unskipable cut scenes, which ruined the single player portion reply value for some folks.

I hope that can be patched. I highly doubt it though.

Top Bottom