• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 | Impressions Thread of not shooting the messenger.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I think you use it in two scenes.

I guess, in a way, LA Noire really provides perspective as to why people are concerned about The Order. All I remember about Noire is the impeccable facial animations.

notworksafe

I wish I could articulate better how classy this game sounds, moves and looks.

The eerie, creeping strings, brass and all-male choir in the score softly pouring into your ears as you slowly walk through a warmly lit Victorian house and step out a window to the wet London rooftops at night...

Wow... *~*

but how does it play?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
beat the game in just north of 4 hours...now i understand why cutscenes aren't skippable...

Duck Hunt has more gameplay i'd say...

Considering every other person on GAF who has played it took more than twice that, have said there's plenty of gameplay, and the fact that you're a junior member without much of a reputation to fall back on you'll probably want to find a way to back this up.

viveks86

Thanks. I kinda wish that for their first original IP project RAD got to work on something which was more on the mechanics end of things, seeing how they did a good job with action/adventure in the PSP GoW games, but I guess they had a different sort of vision and stuck with it. At least the cinematic aspect of the game sounds really strong.

I believe their main objective for the first game was to get an engine ready for their new venture into home console gaming and "establish" an IP to work with. I'm hoping for more innovations on the mechanical aspects in a sequel .

-MD-

have u played this game? of course not. and i dont know where is the replayability in vanquish.

Do I need to play the game to comment on it? Of course not.

I've watched a playthrough so I'm willing to bet I know more about it than you.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Some body posted an LP of the game on Youtube, in which the player finished it in about 5 hours on normal difficulty.

Some members on GAF believe he was rushing, and thus his run is not comparable to your average gamer.

Some members say 5 hours it is, but they plan to "extend" the game by playing on harder difficulty, getting all the collectibles, and "admiring the atmosphere
(lol)
."

All we know is that the game is beatable in 5 hours on normal, and the majority of these hours were cut scenes per the youtuber.

Common, the majority weren't cutscenes.....

Mikey Jr.

I really really REALLY hope this game works out. I really fucking do.

But I keep getting more and more anxious when I hear "The Order is a great movie!"

I know its hyperbole, but when there is smoke, there's fire.

This is definitely a wait for review type situation.

Unison

Are there other game modes in this game beyond the Single Player campaign?

Since it's story focused, I haven't been following media. I don't like to watch a game more than once.

Is there a new game + mode where you can skip cutscenes on a replay?

Aces&Eights

From that write-up, this sounds like a game Id be more inclined to borrow, or rent, than buy for full price. I do appreciate a good single player game, but I'm not keen on spending £50 on a game that I will only play once. From all of the impressions I have read, this doesn't sound like a game with much replay value.

I'm thinking that I'll pick this up once the price drops in a few months time.

For me, that is all I do. I rarely play MP so when I buy a game it is for the SP. Most games really do not have much in the way of replayability for me, anyway, as I don't ever need to go back and "beat my score", etc. The Souls games are different in that New Game + offers new and different stuff so those I replay. But for the most part, I drop $60.00 all day long on games; Assassins Creed, Far Cry, Portal, Infamous, Batman, Uncharted, Killzone, GTA, Metal Gear and so on.

All I ask of my games is to be engaging and run and play well. This game sounds like it does that in spades. The combat sounds meaty, the environments stunning and I've already seen .gifs of the animations and they look out of this world.

Def picking up this game on Friday. Thanks, for the impressions.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Rapier, would you say that, given all the elements combined, this feels like a unique gaming experience? I've never played any Quantic Dream games, but is it like those, or something different?

I guess what I'm asking is did RAD create an interactive cinematic experience that hasn't been seen before, or is it more of an improvement on games that have attempted it in the past?

No, it's not like a QD game. It's a lot more laser focused with its narrative, less puppeteering gameplay, more shooting, straight to the point exposition, etc...

Ricky_R

Do I need to play the game to comment on it? Of course not.

I've watched a playthrough so I'm willing to bet I know more about it than you.

And we don't even need to bet to say that the OP definitely knows more about it than you.

potam

Banned
An incredible graphical showpiece that is a single console exclusive, best looking game on the market on the time of release, hyped beforehand in countless threads by no-questions-asked fans that ends up as a 6-hour long, QTE infested, forgettable experience.

Didn't I see that before...?

http://www.crytek.com/games/ryse/overview

Oh ya. There it is.

But it's getting really tiresome with this game. So I'll say it again: if you feel someone is TROLLING, that is genuinely trolling ("WOW FILMIC LOL") then PM a moderator. If someone is voicing a negative opinion and it's not a drive-by and it's not a garbage post and it's not metacommentary on the thread, then you can either a) engage with them or b) ignore them. But do not complain about them.

Alienous

Don't shoot the messenger....

JZqsu.gif

Oh no, he's gone. Wait, did he play the game?

The last of us aka wooden plank and ladder moving simulator 2000

Nevermind, I don't give a shit.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
An incredible graphical showpiece that is a single console exclusive, best looking game on the market on the time of release, hyped beforehand in countless threads by no-questions-asked fans that ends up as a 6-hour long, QTE infested, forgettable experience.

Oh ya. There it is.

Are people even paying attention to the impressions in this thread and others when they say stuff like this?

I'm going to try to round up the impressions from other gaffers and move them into this thread as well.

Spoo

Thanks for the impressions man. I wasn't going to pick this up, primarily because of all the ... well, you know, but your impressions have pushed me over the edge and I'll be nabbing the game come the 20th.

Loudninja

Are people even paying attention to the impressions in this thread and others when they say stuff like this?

I'm going to try to round up the impressions from other gaffers and move them into this thread as well.
Nah I would like them to post it themselves you know?

Noobcraft

Considering every other person on GAF who has played it took more than twice that, have said there's plenty of gameplay, and the fact that you're a junior member without much of a reputation to fall back on you'll probably want to find a way to back this up.
There's footage of the entire game online by someone who completed the game in 5 hours 23 mins.
I'm going to say the average play through will be 7-9 hours, and the average GAF play through will be longer because the share button ;)

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Are there other game modes in this game beyond the Single Player campaign?

Since it's story focused, I haven't been following media. I don't like to watch a game more than once.

Is there a new game + mode where you can skip cutscenes on a replay?
Apparently not, there is a thing called "The Armoury" in the main menu but beating the game apparently doesn't unlock it. Maybe beating the game on hard or collecting everything does?

Game4life

Banned

Oh ya. There it is.

Well to be fair RAD's game seems mechanically solid from the looks of it compared to the shit show known as Ryse. KZ2 level shooting = Nirvana. Very few games can match up to that in the console shooter department so it looks like they have the mechanics down. They need to expand on it more and concentrate on providing good level design for the sequel. I have hope that the sequel ( if it ever happens ) could potentially be very very good.

potam

Banned
No, it's not like a QD game. It's a lot more laser focused with its narrative, less puppeteering gameplay, more shooting, straight to the point exposition, etc...

Ok, but do you think this is a "unique" experience? I know you said you think they accomplished what they set out to do, which was to create a very deliberate cinematic experience. What I want to know is if the game feels like something you haven't seen before in gaming, or if it's just an improvement upon previous experiences?

Haunted

The Order 1886 is for lovers of old fashioned single player experiences. For those who want to see strong efforts in storytelling-focused games make a comeback. It's a highly curated museum piece for old-timey, story driven videogames
I'm confused by this statement.

I would never call a cinematic, storytelling focused game focusing on story and presentation above gameplay "old-fashioned" in any sense of the word or categorise these sorts of games as being so rare as to have them make a "comeback".

Maybe I'm just misreading it, or maybe I'm just 20 years older than the OP and from a different generation of videogames.

That said, I don't dislike this kind of game. I like story-heavy graphical showcases if they're done well.

Oh ya. There it is.
I kinda liked Ryse for what it was when I played it on PC. I think this will be similar.

Top Bottom