• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 new gifs and info

viveks86

Lol, that was a nice twist by Cage. Fooling everyone with "look into the eyes of the sad man and feel the emotions TM" and then turning him into a comedy character next E3 to make everyone laugh.

Yeah, that was quite a pleasant surprise! Cage definitely proved to be a little more versatile there

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Surely eyes are going to be effected by how small/large the character is on the screen? I'm sure a close up will look fine but at a distance, with less polys?

Shin-Ra

Apart from the hair self-shadow to Galahad's forehead in this scene (you can't really see it in the gif)

12791059555_d645a91dc4_o.gif

I've been super impressed with the shadow quality.

vpance

Disappointed that all the best looking gifs simply look like cutscenes. That wide shot on the roof, for example. There better be some gameplay up there framed just like that.

Probably, but you will need to press triangle every 5s to stay up there.

Looks beautiful! Like I've said before, reminds me of the Uncharted 1 of PS3. Great potential!

I hope people understand it is an ENTIRELY new IP with a developer that JUST entered into the next-generation and have built an entirely new engine. Plus going from concept to finish on a brand-new IP and building an engine takes many people 5+ years, they did it around 3. It won't be entirely there now, but it has a great deal of potential and has some really amazing talent.

FeiRR

Banned
I would like to hear from people who are complaining about QTEs how they imagine something better im terms of game mechanics. Because, you know, all gaming is about pressing buttons/keys/sticks at appropriate times or in a given order. Would you prefer cutscenes to be non-interactive? Games aren't films... Also why TPS games are suddenly an old hat. Anything changed since Pong in the 'visual prompt-response feedback' scheme? I don't think so.

It's amazing how much trolling one person can get away with here.

Not slobbering at the heels of cheap talk(instead of actual gameplay footage) = trolling?

Edit:
I would like to hear from people who are complaining about QTEs how they imagine something better im terms of game mechanics. Because, you know, all gaming is about pressing buttons/keys/sticks at appropriate times or in a given order. Would you prefer cutscenes to be non-interactive? Games aren't films... Also why TPS games are suddenly an old hat. Anything changed since Pong in the 'visual prompt-response feedback' scheme? I don't think so.

If they can't think of an interesting and non-shallow mechanic for combat then they shouldn't bother. So far this melee stuff looks like a rapid choose-your-own-adventure minigame with scripted paths. If that's what it is(and we don't know for sure what it is yet, since they're so bloody vague and roundabout whenever they talk) then it doesn't sound like it'll be very interesting at all.

How would I imagine something better in terms of game mechanics? Well, basically, if I went through a bunch of potential concepts for an expanded melee system and my final concept was a QTE tree with animations then I'd scrap the entire thing completey and focus on creating good gameplay systems elsewhere, since at that point it would be evident I was creating the melee system for the visuals and animations, and not the other way around.

Which is how games should be made. Unfortunately, too many devs just seem more interested in replicating whatever blockbuster action choreography they recently saw in the cinema without sparing a though for how to make it engaging for the player beyond 'wow those graphics'. Judging by RAD's incessant comments about replicating films I fear they are taking this approach.

Shin-Ra

Not slobbering at the heels of cheap talk(instead of actual gameplay footage) = trolling?
Haha, wow I missed this one.

You've been talking about your game for close to a year.

Show some good gameplay footage or stop hyping your game up. So far this game looks on par with Fuse.
You announced your game at E3 2013 and barely showed anything yet = You've been talking about your game for close to a year.

Lack of gameplay footage = FUSE.

And PairOfFilthySocks thinks that's reasonable. Glad we've got that sorted.

prwxv3

It could end up as a QTE fest but I think everyone should remember the initial reaction to the first last of us gameplay which many thought was completely scripted.

Looking forward to seeing more than 5 seconds of actual gameplay.

Hopefully the interactivity is as impressive as the presentation.

I know absolutely nothing about this game, aside from what I read in the OP. Looks pretty. The RE4/Resistance with destructible environments caught my eye, and will really enjoy the game if it pans out that way.

Shin-Ra

GAF gonna GAF.
Don't do that. You know it's a very specific subset of people making the desperate, insane comments.

And then a few of us who like to pick at things (shadows, eyes) in the hope they're listening and can make them better in time.

Apoc87

Banned
Don't do that. You know it's a very specific subset of people making the desperate, insane comments.

And then a few of us who like to pick at things (shadows, eyes) in the hope they're listening and can make them better in time.

The majority of GAF users are making desperate, insane comments and nitpicking at the shadows and the eyes

So the minority is just fine with what they are showing us.

GAF gonna GAF.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Metal Gear Solid (although it's only a TPS by a rather small degree).

How is MGS's combat anything like Ninja Gaiden or Bayonetta?

Wow, what's with all the nitpicking?

My thoughts? RaD made us wait a long time for new footage and it didn't show half the stuff they've been talking about, and it isn't pixel perfect. It's good cause to complain insipidly, no?

Desperate and insane? I really hope you're not lumping the users reacting with negligible excitement to what looks like nothing more(yet) than a grimdark "cinematic" cover-based shooter(with QTEs) into that group.

Jachaos

Visually it's impressive

The morse code is pretty cool

Aside from that, really not a fan of all the emphasis on ''cinematic'' and QTEs. If it ends up being too much like the Quantic Dream games, I'll skip. Hoping it's at least got decent 3rd person shooter mechanics. But so far I'm not too confident considering the only gameplay we've seen and the keywords used when hyping up the game.

harSon

Banned
You can question the gameplay mechanics all you want, but nitpicking the graphics is ridiculous. Its easily one of the best graphical showcases that we've seen up to this point. The potency of the atmosphere is pretty freaking amazing.

It does not make any sense. Many deep platformers only use like two buttons.

True, but pressing a button doesn't make Mario Jump up, bounce off a wall, grab a hammer and smash bowser in a single sequence.

Definitely too early to judge gameplay since we've seen little. Looks beautiful as well.

Does the controller flash?

Haha, I hope so. Also with one of the next updates morse code flashes will become an optional controller feature and you can use your DS4 during distress at sea or nightly smuggling operations at the coast of New England.

Wagram

Looks pretty good. Players really need to ground their expectations. This is why studios are closing, because games now have to be warped into these unbelievable experiences at every turn or it's a piece of crap.

For what it is, the order 1886 looks decent. Will it be the best game ever? Probably not, but it looks like it'll provide fun, which is what I play video games for.

Edit:

If they can't think of an interesting and non-shallow mechanic for combat then they shouldn't bother. So far this melee stuff looks like a rapid choose-your-own-adventure minigame with scripted paths. If that's what it is(and we don't know for sure what it is yet, since they're so bloody vague and roundabout whenever they talk) then it doesn't sound like it'll be very interesting at all.

How would I imagine something better in terms of game mechanics? Well, basically, if I went through a bunch of potential concepts for an expanded melee system and my final concept was a QTE tree with animations then I'd scrap the entire thing completey and focus on creating good gameplay systems elsewhere, since at that point it would be evident I was creating the melee system for the visuals and animations, and not the other way around.

Which is how games should be made. Unfortunately, too many devs just seem more interested in replicating whatever blockbuster action choreography they recently saw in the cinema without sparing a though for how to make it engaging for the player beyond 'wow those graphics'. Judging by RAD's incessant comments about replicating films I fear they are taking this approach.

But it's fairly obvious that this isn't a combo hack n' slash, build your style meter, dodge for witch time kind of game. It's a shooter. They didn't beat around that bush, it is what it is. Would you rather melee just be a canned animation of him hitting something with the butt of the gun.

It's a necessary evil that they're trying to make more interesting. What kind of "expanded melee system" would you use as a proper reference in a shooter? I stress that QTE's when done right are friggin awesome, and I personally feel they add a ton to the gameplay. You can get much more robust animations, brilliant executions, amazing struggles and what not that you simply couldn't get otherwise. This is looking to make them more interesting, I fail to see what's wrong with that. Simply consider your alternatives, they could all just implement canned boring weapons swings, I don't think that makes it any better.

Looks pretty good. Players really need to ground their expectations. This is why studios are closing, because games now have to be warped into these unbelievable experiences at every turn or it's a piece of crap.

For what it is, the order 1886 looks decent. Will it be the best game ever? Probably not, but it looks like it'll provide fun, which is what I play video games for.

I like RAD a lot but this is the first game of this scale they've ever done, everything else has been sequels/spin-offs based on existing franchises and game design. I don't know what the hell people were expecting from this game but it definitely was never going to revolutionize anything.

Even if it's pretty by-the-numbers I'm just hoping for a fun and great looking game.

EGM1966

Edit:

This sounds great in principle but it's not really feasible in reality. Evolution in any medium comes in fits and starts and sometimes its about getting things half right to start with. It would be wonderful if creativity could be as clean as you suggest but in actuality it isn't.

True revolution comes rarely, clean evolution too. If we didn't have developers trying and sometimes failing we'd get nothing new at all - just rinse / repeat proven safe mechanics - for years until the rare time when a developer confidently delivers something truly revolutionary - or at least cleanly evolutionary.

What they're doing might or might not work (I don't think for a moment anyone can judge from the bare seconds of partial footage yet shown) but there is no proven way to do better than allow developers to take risks and try stuff and see what works or not and have other developers build on or abandon mechanics accordingly.

Ploid 3.0

Send morse code with DS4's touch pad! If this doesn't justify it nothing will.

Not sure what they'll do with your click but I guess they're still grateful.

I don't have many games on my PS4 but it's already justified for me. I played the FFXIV beta yesterday and loved it in that game. I wish the PC version supported the touch pad like that. I mainly played with a controller on PC.

PensOwl

Banned
I'm sure plenty will disagree, but the RE series had some pretty nice melee combat that progressively got better through its iterations.

It doesn't seem to fit the slower, more realistic style of The Order though.

But it's fairly obvious that this isn't a combo hack n' slash, build your style meter, dodge for witch time kind of game. It's a shooter. They didn't beat around that bush, it is what it is.
That doesn't excuse it for not presenting any sort of interesting gameplay in this initial footage. The shooter genre is horribly saturated as is. I need to be wowed before I start getting excited for yet more shootbang.
Would you rather melee just be a canned animation of him hitting something with the butt of the gun.
Instead of a scripted QTE tree? Absolutely! If this QTE thing is as scripted and set in its paths as it looks, then I'd happily skip over that to continue playing the actual game with the (hopefully) layered dynamics and mechanics. Cut the fat.
It's a necessary evil that they're trying to make more interesting. What kind of "expanded melee system" would you use as a proper reference in a shooter?
Maybe there doesn't need to be one? This honestly seems like a situation of finding a solution to a problem that never existed. I'm not saying that an expanded melee system will never, ever be wanted in a shooter, but QTEs are most certainly not the way to go, as far as I'm concerned.
I stress that QTE's when done right are friggin awesome, and I personally feel they add a ton to the gameplay.
I'll have to completely disagree with you here. QTEs have only ever served to yank me jarringly out of the game. I think the greatest sin they regularly commit when used in games is that the buttons you use to complete QTEs in the game bear absolutely no relevance to the control method you've been using a moment before, and throughout the entire game otherwise to boot. For example, you play through a game where X is your jump button, and suddenly a cutscene pops up where you are prompted to press A to jump out the way. That's sloppy game design. Outside of that, QTEs are generally just used when a dev makes a mistake of coming up with the scene first and controls second, which brings us to the last point:
You can get much more robust animations, brilliant executions, amazing struggles and what not that you simply couldn't get otherwise. This is looking to make them more interesting, I fail to see what's wrong with that.

That's all well and good, but when it's clearly not me controlling(since the control has changed entirely to accommodate this one scene) then I really don't care how good it looks. Cooking up a control scheme to suit some canned animation set-piece instead of coming up with an engaging gameplay system before worrying about the specifics of the visuals is a big no-no as far as I'm concerned. Yet it seems to be the philosophy The Order has been built on, which is why I'm reacting to it so negatively. If they can't make it fun for me, then just leave it as a melee smack then that's fine by me(besides, I refuse to believe the animators couldn't come up with tons of inventive solutions to make that plenty interesting, despite having less to work with, creativity being how it is).

Artex

Banned
For those griping about the look in the eyes; you know there might be something to that considering the characters are not necessarily human.

I stress that QTE's when done right are friggin awesome, and I personally feel they add a ton to the gameplay. You can get much more robust animations, brilliant executions, amazing struggles and what not that you simply couldn't get otherwise.
That's all completely canned though. Its impressive the first time.

Making systems instead could also lead to struggles that are more emergent and more unpredictable. I think of something like Gears here where you can move in to melee, get jammed by a counter-attack, make the victim a meat shield, cut the enemy in half, or end up in a chainsaw duel - and all of that in the middle of a larger combat which could also impact the outcome (like successfully cutting an enemy down only to end up getting the same done to you in the very next moment).

In terms of melee systems I'd also look to MGS and its CQC options as inspiration. There's still plenty of opportunities to make something unique (systems-wise) and cinematic without making it into something completely canned. Its those opportunities that excite me anyway, not QTE flair.

But you never know - maybe it'll defy my expectations and really works in this game's case. Its possible.

admartian

That doesn't excuse it for not presenting any sort of interesting gameplay in this initial footage. The shooter genre is horribly saturated as is. I need to be wowed before I start getting excited for yet more shootbang. Instead of a scripted QTE tree? Absolutely! If this QTE thing is as scripted and set in its paths as it looks, then I'd happily skip over that to continue playing the actual game with the (hopefully) layered dynamics and mechanics. Cut the fat.
Maybe there doesn't need to be one? This honestly seems like a situation of finding a solution to a problem that never existed. I'm not saying that an expanded melee system will never, ever be wanted in a shooter, but QTEs are most certainly not the way to go, as far as I'm concerned. I'll have to completely disagree with you here. QTEs have only ever served to yank me jarringly out of the game. I think the greatest sin they regularly commit when used in games is that the buttons you use to complete QTEs in the game bear absolutely no relevance to the control method you've been using a moment before, and throughout the entire game otherwise to boot. For example, you play through a game where X is your jump button, and suddenly a cutscene pops up where you are prompted to press A to jump out the way. That's sloppy game design. Outside of that, QTEs are generally just used when a dev makes a mistake of coming up with the scene first and controls second, which brings us to the last point:

That's all well and good, but when it's clearly not me controlling(since the control has changed entirely to accommodate this one scene) then I really don't care how good it looks. Cooking up a control scheme to suit some canned animation set-piece instead of coming up with an engaging gameplay system before worrying about the specifics of the visuals is a big no-no as far as I'm concerned. Yet it seems to be the philosophy The Order has been built on, which is why I'm reacting to it so negatively. If they can't make it fun for me, then just leave it as a melee smack then that's fine by me(besides, I refuse to believe the animators couldn't come up with tons of inventive solutions to make that plenty interesting, despite having less to work with, creativity being how it is).

^Let's go home, game is clearly bad people.

/done

Top Bottom