• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 new gifs and info

It's been awhile since I've seen a game inspire so many drive by snark posts and chants of "been there, done that" here on GAF, probably since Ryse. It really makes me root for RaD to knock this outta the park, and serve up some crow to all the cynical killjoys out there.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I do agree that they shouldn't alter the button per say when it comes to something like jumping sure, that can and often is a strange implementation, but I personally like the life that QTE's give to the characters. And this game in particular seems like it's trying to be more cinematic, QTE's can allow players to get interesting camera shots like you mentioned, the ability to mount an enemy and see it's facial expression for example, and personally (many hated it), pushing a single button in rapid succession to "force" your strength over theirs is a very engaging way to add depth to combat. Now mashing a button just so that an animation can be completed is a completely different story, there is no feel of actual struggle or resistance, just empty animation.

Luckily RAD worked on the PSP God of War games, and that's a series that defines the potential of a QTE to me. So I'm not worried about them being bad in this game, I have a feeling they'll be very well implemented.

That's all completely canned though. Its impressive the first time.

Making systems instead could also lead to struggles that are more emergent and more unpredictable. I think of something like Gears here where you can move in to melee, get jammed by a counter-attack, make the victim a meat shield, cut the enemy in half, or end up in a chainsaw duel - and all of that in the middle of a larger combat which could also impact the outcome (like successfully cutting an enemy down only to end up getting the same done to you in the very next moment).

In terms of melee systems I'd also look to MGS and its CQC options as inspiration. There's still plenty of opportunities to make something unique (systems-wise) and cinematic without making it into something completely canned. Its those opportunities that excite me anyway, not QTE flair.

But you never know - maybe it'll defy my expectations and really works in this game's case. Its possible.

Oh sure, I always welcome something heftier and more robust, I'm not saying it wouldn't be welcome, but many shooters get a pass for having a button that slaps an enemy for a ridiculous amount of damage and they just drop. No interesting animation, no real impact, no struggle, nothing. At least this seems to be implementing context based situations as opposed to just... slapping with a weapon lol.

I'm gonna be honest. I understand MOST of the nitpicks . Except the "last gen" gameplay, every game coming out this year doesn't have revolutionary new gameplay. lol They should show some better footage to get people hyped. You can't just go on "LOOK AT HOW PRETTY THIS LOOKS"

Playstation exclusive threads ladies and gentleman.

Let me head over to the Donkey Kong thread and state how it's basically NSMB with an ape.

I agree and while you are doing that, head over to the TitanFall threads too cuz its basically a COD like shooter with mechs where you have to press shoulder button to shoot but for some reason everyones is calling it the best thing to grace gaming in a while.

Why not we give this game a chance until we some extensive gameplay and hands-on previews.

Shin-Ra

Desperate and insane? I really hope you're not lumping the users reacting with negligible excitement to what looks like nothing more(yet) than a grimdark "cinematic" cover-based shooter(with QTEs) into that group.
You just defended noobasuar, did you not?

And you're awfully desperate to make early conclusions about gameplay. I can't really see why you'd do that unless you want to dislike the game.

Seance

Banned
QTE combat like you've never seen it before
chansub-global-emoticon-c8a77ec0c49976d3-22x30.png

Come on now. The game looks great like visually an all but let's not talk up the melee combat, lol.

Famassu

If they can't think of an interesting and non-shallow mechanic for combat then they shouldn't bother. So far this melee stuff looks like a rapid choose-your-own-adventure minigame with scripted paths. If that's what it is(and we don't know for sure what it is yet, since they're so bloody vague and roundabout whenever they talk) then it doesn't sound like it'll be very interesting at all.
It's more than that and you'd now it if you cared to look at anything presented to you. It's not just OMG I GET TO PRESS TRIANGLE INSTEAD OF SQUARE at times, they are giving you more control than that. The example in the demo we were shown is a bit simple, but it shows a situation where you've restrained an enemy and then you'll have a few moments to look around yourself and see if you can find something in the environment to use against the enemy. In the b roll footage this comes down to either choosing a knife or just punching the enemy in the face. Now, I'm not certain how deep the effects of the different choices can be, but let's hope they have at least some consequences other than "QTE ends now" or "you get another QTE." It'd be cool if it would be like

1) choose the knife and you'll kill the enemy right away
2) choose to punch the enemy and you just knock him out, making it possible to interrogate the enemy and learn of some secret that'll help you in the game

Though, again, we'll have to wait to hear more about how deep the consequences are or if it's just a superficial change. My guess is it could at least affect the health (fail a QTE or picking a bad option would lead to the enemy damaging you, which will leave you in a weaker state in the next combat situation), if not even more.

How would I imagine something better in terms of game mechanics? Well, basically, if I went through a bunch of potential concepts for an expanded melee system and my final concept was a QTE tree with animations then I'd scrap the entire thing completey and focus on creating good gameplay systems elsewhere, since at that point it would be evident I was creating the melee system for the visuals and animations, and not the other way around.
Some stuff just cannot be replicated with gameplay. They aren't making every combat scene in the game a QTE, they are they just seem to want to add some interactivity to action scenes that are cutscenes in even games like Bayonetta that have huge focus on combat and have those QTEs be a bit different than just the Simon Says stuff.

Which is how games should be made. Unfortunately, too many devs just seem more interested in replicating whatever blockbuster action choreography they recently saw in the cinema without sparing a though for how to make it engaging for the player beyond 'wow those graphics'. Judging by RAD's incessant comments about replicating films I fear they are taking this approach.
Again, there's a difference in making everything a QTE and making the kind of scenes that have been cutscenes in the past that would never work in gameplay situations into interactive QTEs. So far, it seems RAD is doing the latter instead of the former.

I agree and while you are doing that, head over to the TitanFall threads too cuz its basically a COD like shooter with mechs where you have to press shoulder button to shoot but for some reason everyones is calling it the best thing to grace gaming in a while.

Why not we give this game a chance until we some extensive gameplay and hands-on previews.

At the risk of stirring up a good ol' fanboy shitstorm, I feel obliged to point out that Titanfall's initial reveal was a ~5 minute-long gameplay sequence that placed a huge emphasis on its mechs and soldier mobility, ie. the actual gameplay mechanics.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I'm gonna be honest. I understand MOST of the nitpicks . Except the "last gen" gameplay, every game coming out this year doesn't have revolutionary new gameplay. lol They should show some better footage to get people hyped. You can't just go on "LOOK AT HOW PRETTY THIS LOOKS"

It was a poor way to do a gameplay unveiling no doubt, especially considering they had 40 minutes of footage and crammed it down to 3. I love RAD and I have a lot of faith in this game but I understand the negativity in that regard.

That being said, I don't know why people seemed surprised this is a cinematic 3rd person cover shooter. It was described as such, literally, from day 1. What the fuck...

demolitio

It's been awhile since I've seen a game inspire so many drive by snark posts and chants of "been there, done that" here on GAF, probably since Ryse. It really makes me root for RaD to knock this outta the park, and serve up some crow to all the cynical killjoys out there.

Yea, it reminds me of a Driveclub thread where you want the developers to prove people wrong since people apparently want a game to fit their specific genre or else it's trash for some reason. There's some legitimate nitpicks but they're drowned out by the people who want it to fail with the relentless "Ryse" posts, etc.

Comparing this game to Ryse after 3 minutes of minimal gameplay is a pretty big disservice to RAD and shows some people want it to fail for other reasons.

I like TPS games and I expect a TPS with a good story, great graphics, physics, and whatever else they have in store. I don't know why people expect anything else since it's clearly been labeled as that since the beginning and can succeed at doing that.

Then again, we heard the same shit about The Last of Us being just another boring TPS or Uncharted in a new setting and we saw how well that went. I hope RAD can do the same so those same people can move on to the next game to latch on to day one as a failure.

At the risk of stirring up a good ol' fanboy shitstorm, I feel obliged to point out that Titanfall's initial reveal was a ~5 minute-long gameplay sequence that placed a huge emphasis on its mechs and soldier mobility, ie. the actual gameplay mechanics.

It just implies that RAD want's to keep its game under lock and key a bit longer, if releasing more footage at all. One game is focused on it's multi-player, the other on it's story driven experience. If they didn't show me footage in a mutli-player only game, I don't think I'd quite see the point. Different dev's different styles :/ RAD's been very tight lipped, and many turn to doubt, Respawn showed a ton of footage, and it got slammed to high hell for being ugly.

You don't really win either way lol

I remember people shitting on Ryse about the gameplay, Yet I had a blast playing it and it's arguably the best looking game around, So I wont care what people say about The order as I'm buying it regardless as it looks astounding.

Raven77

What kind of innovation do people expect from a third person action shooter?

Innovation for innovations sake is not necessarily a good thing. Halo was essentially a refinement of the FPS genre that did several new things. This game also appears to do several new things. Also, we've barely seen anything so jumping to a conclusion at this point seems grossly premature. I doubt the technology is there yet to do anything truly suprising like real time liquid behaviors, real time fire, etc. It's silly to think that the first round of next gen games are going to be leaps and bounds better than what we're used to. Maybe in 2015 and beyond.

Many, many modern games are just shitty versions of games that came years if not decades before them where they try to force innovation and in their attempts the game falls flat on its face.

bud

hmm, it's actually a rather inconsistent looking game. some of it looks fantastic whereas there are plenty of parts that look like a current gen game. the voice acting and facial expressions are very poor, overall.

Shin-Ra

Weapons tend to be important in third person shooters.

The Combo Gun
The bread and butter of The Order’s arsenal. The combo gun has two different functions. The rifle component of the gun is good for gunning down foes from a distance. The other barrel delivers a concussive blast that knocks foes back like a Force push. Stunned enemies can then be picked off with rifle fire.

12801515375_5034a53f09_b.jpg

The Arc Gun
This high-voltage weapon is where things start to get more experimental. The arc gun has electric wires and components spread along its long metal rods. Electrical current zaps along this contraption as it warms up, creating a Jacob’s Ladder. This piece of bleeding edge technology shakes and smokes as it charges up a precise, long-distance bolt of energy. The way it zaps towards far off targets reminds us of Cole’s eagle-eyed lightning blast from Infamous.

12801514885_04d4f83df4_h.jpg

The Thermite Rifle
The thermite rifle is the flashiest and most devastating of the bunch Ready At Dawn has revealed so far. Pellets packed with strips of aluminum iron oxide are blasted into the environment, which then break open into a cloud of glittery metal paper. A high temperature flare is then shot into the cloud, creating a chemical reaction that turns the cloud into a burning mass of melting metal. This devastating weapon is perfect for punishing enemies hiding behind cover.

12801933894_405b699ae1_h.jpg

Fragmentation Grenades
Everybody knows how grenades work – pull the pin and throw it before it blows up. The Order’s grenades are a little different than average. These thrown explosives resemble the handled “potato masher” grenades usually used by German troops. It also features a small spike that allows it to be stuck into walls or the floor, creating a nasty proximity mine.

12801933034_a6dd21dab0_h.jpg
Once we see some extended gameplay sequences demonstrating the weapons properly, I think it'll be fair to start making conclusions about if this is a good TPS and if it sets itself apart mechanically.

It's more than that and you'd now it if you cared to look at anything presented to you.
Uh-huh.
Now, I'm not certain how deep the effects of the different choices can be, but let's hope they have at least some consequences other than "QTE ends now" or "you get another QTE." It'd be cool if it would be like

1) choose the knife and you'll kill the enemy right away
2) choose to punch the enemy and you just knock him out, making it possible to interrogate the enemy and learn of some secret that'll help you in the game

Though, again, we'll have to wait to hear more about how deep the consequences are or if it's just a superficial change. My guess is it could at least affect the health (fail a QTE or picking a bad option would lead to the enemy damaging you, which will leave you in a weaker state in the next combat situation), if not even more.
Hmmm.

As I've said already, I can only judge what I've seen, and it certainly doesn't help that the actual dev comments about the mechanic sound pretty darn vague:
incorporating split second decision paths allowing fights to play out in a number of different ways. In the clip above Galahad goes for a knife, but it’s not the only way to tackle the situation…
I'm not seeing anything here that disputes the notion that these sequences are extravagant but ultimately scripted trivial set-pieces.

Some stuff just cannot be replicated with gameplay. They aren't making every combat scene in the game a QTE, they are they just seem to want to add some interactivity to action scenes that are cutscenes in even games like Bayonetta that have huge focus on combat and have those QTEs be a bit different than just the Simon Says stuff.
You're right to point out that good action titles like Bayonetta include QTEs as well. I guess the great design underlying the combos and actual gameplay make up for the mundanity of mashing X a bunch of times. The jury's, of course, still out on whether or not the same can be said of The Order(and, certainly, whether its melee segments need to be made up for in terms of fun game mechanics).
Again, there's a difference in making everything a QTE and making the kind of scenes that have been cutscenes in the past that would never work in gameplay situations into interactive QTEs. So far, it seems RAD is doing the latter instead of the former.

But then I'II simply have to ask; what's the point of putting the scene in? I mean, sure, you can make a QTE scene where your main character leaps into the air, does a somersault while shooting ten guys around him with dual uzis before landing on a skateboard , then ollies onto a monster's face and and blows his face off with a shotgun. But if my input to make that happen clashes so much with the core game controls it completely rips me out of the game since it's basically an acknowledgement that the devs thought of some set-piece that didn't translate properly into their gameplay, so they just went ahead and cooked up some half-baked scheme to bring their animated creation to life.

I'm against the concept of QTEs in principal, and what has been shown of The Order's implementation doesn't excite me at all. Sure, they haven't shown everything, but that doesn't mean you can simply assume that all that depth will be present and accounted for, especially when the devs themselves seem so non-committal to giving us a proper explanation on that.

You just defended noobasuar, did you not?

And you're awfully desperate to make early conclusions about gameplay. I can't really see why you'd do that unless you want to dislike the game.

You really should stop using the word desperate. You sound a bit too attached. By all means, help yourself to my post history and find some evidence of fanboy dumbassery if you can, but I'm well within my rights to express my lack of excitement for what looks like the latest line in a string of uninteresting approaches to game design.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Many, many modern games are just shitty versions of games that came years if not decades before them where they try to force innovation and in their attempts the game falls flat on its face.
And plenty of modern games fall flat on their faces despite not attempting anything new at all.

Shin-Ra

You really should stop using the word desperate. You sound a bit too attached. By all means, help yourself to my post history and find some evidence of fanboy dumbassery if you can, but I'm well within my rights to express my lack of excitement for what looks like the latest line in a string of uninteresting approaches to game design.
So you're distancing yourself from noobasuar's comments now?

And I don't really like what I perceive to be "MMORPG design" but I don't go around trying to convince those developers to make a different kind of game.

Got the feeling the actual game is going to have some downgrades. Who knows tho. I just don't think this will look like they showcase it throughout the game.

Kinyou

12791066865_74c620ee50_o.gif

On second thoughts, the eyes look absolutely creepy here. Ready at Dawn needs to get some of the TacheFX magic into the eyes.
They eyes really look a bit weird, and his coat also seems to clip a little trough the leg. But that's all stuff that can be fixed until release

It just implies that RAD want's to keep its game under lock and key a bit longer, if releasing more footage at all. One game is focused on it's multi-player, the other on it's story driven experience. If they didn't show me footage in a mutli-player only game, I don't think I'd quite see the point. Different dev's different styles :/ RAD's been very tight lipped, and many turn to doubt, Respawn showed a ton of footage, and it got slammed to high hell for being ugly.
It's a game. Show me the game. The fact they're more keen to show of the visuals instead of the game itself doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. I'm glad we've(almost, looking at you, Ubi) moved on from pre-rendered premier footage for titles is nice, but what RAD's doing isn't much of a step-up. I don't give a shit about their marketing tactics or motivations, I'm going to say what I think based on what they show me, and I haven't been impressed. Taking their marketing into account is pretty apologist. If it's not ready to show, don't show it.

You don't really win either way lol
Win what?

Edit:
So you're distancing yourself from noobasuar's comments now?

This is the comment I agreed with:
You've been talking about your game for close to a year.

Show some good gameplay footage or stop hyping your game up. So far this game looks on par with Fuse.

And I still do. Shit ain't impressive(visuals aside, of course).

And I don't really like what I perceive to be "MMORPG design" but I don't go around trying to convince those developers to make a different kind of game.
I would try to convince them to not make the same game we've seen many times already.

hmm, it's actually a rather inconsistent looking game. some of it looks fantastic whereas there are plenty of parts that look like a current gen game. the voice acting and facial expressions are very poor, overall.

What game are you on about? If you are talking about this one, then I think you are being a bit delusional. Having played most of the best looking games this gen on PC and consoles, nothing looks current gen in there to me and the voice acting and facial expressions look excellent.

Yea, it reminds me of a Driveclub thread where you want the developers to prove people wrong since people apparently want a game to fit their specific genre or else it's trash for some reason. There's some legitimate nitpicks but they're drowned out by the people who want it to fail with the relentless "Ryse" posts, etc.

Comparing this game to Ryse after 3 minutes of minimal gameplay is a pretty big disservice to RAD and shows some people want it to fail for other reasons.

I like TPS games and I expect a TPS with a good story, great graphics, physics, and whatever else they have in store. I don't know why people expect anything else since it's clearly been labeled as that since the beginning and can succeed at doing that.

Then again, we heard the same shit about The Last of Us being just another boring TPS or Uncharted in a new setting and we saw how well that went. I hope RAD can do the same so those same people can move on to the next game to latch on to day one as a failure.
Exactly. I can understand the reasonable posters expressing guarded optimism, even skepticism, after that reveal, because they really didn't show much at all, but all those posters coming in with, "Oh great, another cover shooter!" should be drawn and quartered, because they add absolutely nothing to the discussion. If TPS games aren't your thing, why bother to post in a thread featuring one?

The absolutely dumbest thing I've heard so far was comparing The Order to Fuse. That's high grade silliness right there!

The absolutely dumbest thing I've heard so far was comparing The Order to Fuse. That's high grade silliness right there!
I'm guessing the comparison was in terms of gameplay (and using Fuse as the posterchild for a generic third person shooter), and there hasn't been enough shown to know whether its anywhere near a decent comparison or not.

Personally I think that's unfair to Fuse, as the ability to switch between four players was interesting enough in its own right. We haven't seen any gameplay novelty yet for the Order, outside of the more-interactive melee QTEs. We've seen next to nothing though. Who knows whats up RAD's sleeves when it comes to this game.

sono

This title is very interesting.

My concern with at least some of these gifs is they look like they are of sections of the games which are cutscenes.

Assuming that - providing (dark) gifs of cut-scenes isnt really doing it for me.

You can question the gameplay mechanics all you want, but nitpicking the graphics is ridiculous. Its easily one of the best graphical showcases that we've seen up to this point. The potency of the atmosphere is pretty freaking amazing.

Yep. First "next-gen" game I've seen. Ryse was good but isn't on 1886's level.

It's a game. Show me the game. The fact they're more keen to show of the visuals instead of the game itself doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. I'm glad we've(almost, looking at you, Ubi) moved on from pre-rendered premier footage for titles is nice, but what RAD's doing isn't much of a step-up. I don't give a shit about their marketing tactics or motivations, I'm going to say what I think based on what they show me, and I haven't been impressed. Taking their marketing into account is pretty apologist. If it's not ready to show, don't show it.

Win what?

Oh their marketing sure isn't up my alley, I'd love to see a lot more, but if RAD doesn't wan't to reveal just yet it's no skin off my back, I'll just analyse what I've seen, and personally, my interest is piqued, I like the setting, the weapons and the graphics, will be back to see more when and if they show it lol.

What drives me more nuts than something like this is lack of Demo's. That's just plain stupid.

And in terms of winning either way, I was referring to fan favoritism. The game showing too little seems to get the doubt, the game showing everything get's scrutinized to high hell. I think at our cores we just want to complain.

The gameplay looks sooo last gen. Why do his shoes stay tied the whole game? He never does up his shoes? And who takes cover when they are being shot at? This is ridiculous! And the QTE's? I have never in my LIFE seen a quality game with those in them! Its cold and rainy in London and not ONCE have a seen a character whipe his or her nose! This is supposed to be next gen people! Thats it Ive had it with these devs, Im going fishing and Im bringing my PS4 and tossing it in the ocean.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Some of you aren't fair. You wouldn't be using QTEs the entire game. The way I see it, rather than have a completely scripted cutscene, you get to control the scene's outcome and help it unfold. Not every cutscene would be doable, but this is how I view QTEs such as what we've seen.

It's like you can have the entire game's cinematic moments be cutscenes, or you can cut that in half and have real-time QTEs that allow some form of engagement instead of just watching

Atleast explain why you think that way.

Even after the E3 showing still no downgrade.

Ah i just watched the trailer, kinda figured out that the quality could be bumped up that high only in really controlled environments only. Which indeed was the case in the trailer.

Now lets see this detail in lesser controlled environments. this trailer doesn't say much.

It's like you can have the entire game's cinematic moments be cutscenes, or you can cut that in half and have real-time QTEs that allow some form of engagement instead of just watching
I think the dream is to have the entire game's cinematic moments come about through systemic play. That's my dream anyhow - and I'm not saying that RAD has to follow my dreams, but personally I see QTEs as a hack rather than something to be excited about. But like most things, it depends.

the haters are coming out of the woodwork again, i see.
The lovers too. And everybody in between. There's some extensive woodwork here.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I think the dream is to have the entire game's cinematic moments come about through systemic play. That's my dream anyhow - and I'm not saying that RAD has to follow my dreams, but personally I see QTEs as a hack rather than something to be excited about. But like most things, it depends.

The lovers too. And everybody in between. There's some extensive woodwork here.

While I understand your point of view, I see it also similarly to Mass Effect. If Mass Effect can provide choices for character development through dialogue and actions, what's the difference with QTEs as seen in The Order? If it is as they say, then one can create differences in this world through these QTEs that express options, albeit in a faster pace to that of Mass Effect.

That's how I view it, anyhow.

You can simple just give full control over the char and let the event run out without taking the entire control over and let you play a video game.

It's annoying to lose control over your character.

They can't eat crow, because eating crow is based on the premise that their view can potentially change. And well haters gonna hate.

While I understand your point of view, I see it also similarly to Mass Effect. If Mass Effect can provide choices for character development through dialogue and actions, what's the difference with QTEs as seen in The Order? If it is as they say, then one can create differences in this world through these QTEs that express options, albeit in a faster pace to that of Mass Effect.

That's how I view it, anyhow.
You ever watch a QTE and wish you could do that through direct gameplay? Yeah, that's pretty much me most of the time, wondering "why couldn't I have done that?" Which is why it feels like a hack, a small failure where control is wrested from the player, only QTEs provide the most bare-bones of interactivity so that there's some modicum of player involvement.

But like I said, it depends. I love many of God of War's over the top QTEs, so I guess it comes down to balance. How much of the cool stuff is happening in direct gameplay versus canned cinematic moments? How often is control being taken from me? Are the QTEs and cinematics a nice break from the action or exploration? Or are they the bulk of the game's interesting parts?

In general I dislike QTEs but any given game might change my mind, so I hold out some hope.

Top Bottom