• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886: Official spoiler thread for all black bars

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
A name in itself isn't an easter egg.

It's like saying every character named david is an MGS reference. Or every character named Alex is a half life 2 reference...

Sure because so many people in gaming are named
"Zelda"

Please...

Yiazmat

Lots of new gameplay videos. Guy playing it says he's loving it.

Channel with the videos, all direct feed.

I'm skimmed through a few, nothing too spoilerish yet. One of the segments is one from a previous press demo they showed off (when you first get the Thermite Rifle), but in full. Honestly, this looks like just the sort of game I'm craving at the moment. Side note, it's crazy how they even nailed the physics of this thing.

Sackboy_Order_1886.jpg~original

"This channel has no videos."

No way, compare gameplay models for both games, not cut scenes, The Order character model is far more superior during actual gameplay.

Cutscenes are all real time in U4. LoD 0 should be the same in gameplay. I definitely think the character models look better in U4. Otherwise, I honestly expect U4 to at least match the Order visually. U4 seems to have more realistic lighting, while the Order is going for a much more cinematic look.

luca_29_bg

Cutscenes are all real time in U4. LoD 0 should be the same in gameplay. I definitely think the character models look better in U4. Otherwise, I honestly expect U4 to at least match the Order visually. U4 seems to have more realistic lighting, while the Order is going for a much more cinematic look.

in gameplay psx demo Characters of uncharted 4 was in no way detailed like the order characters, but we'll see...

Someone just posted major spoilers in the screenshot thread

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=151802885&postcount=2430

He didn't spoiler tag it so I will

Ok just on my way back from Q&A with the Dev which was nothing short of fascinating and really fun.

Also played two levels:

This game is very much the real deal. There i said it. For me there hasnt been a level of cinematic gameplay and chracterization on this level in a game since TLOU.

First level: minor spoilers if your into locations.....

Westminster Bridge a huge firefight across the bridge with all your AI buddies running around you and chaos raining down.
London looks incredible the gfx are off the chain. Im sort of gonna ramble here so bear with me. Visually this is the best looking game on ANY platform the atmosphere I got from it was a kind of resident evil meets Killzone but in 1886 its dark and eeerie RAD have simply nailed victorian London. Like real London the place is cobbled narrow and short with a slight musk on the air. Explosions look stunning lighting and distance effects impeccible.

Controls? Very responsive and smooth, not a slight hiccup in frame rate either with ALOT going on. What you probably dont get a feel for in the footage is how inaccurate and loose the guns feel which I have tk say I LOVED. guns have a real old school feel to them as hand guns pop in your hand and machine guns spray hoplessly out of control. The tesla gun is extrenely powerful one shot kill but take a while to charge. They are a specialty weapon.

NOTE 1: this game is HARD you won't be streaming through this game immediately, im a seasoned gamer and i died about 5 times in the first 5 seconds.

Its tactical, run and gun gears style and youll be dead in seconds galahad is skilled but has an air of old timer about him. The demo was short and ran us
across the bridge all along the way your fellow knight shouting valuable and intense info As well as actually helping you out and manouvering to tactical popositions
. As I went down for the 4th time a fellow knight runs to my body laying down covering fire as I try and drink my precious blackwater (after about 10 seconds you can crawl followed by prompts to drink my blackwater and furiously mash X to recover more health).

Second demo was the one on the air ship and fairly straught forward but here was more tight knit and allowed for more melee and destruction (you shoot wood and it splints) yes its that kind of level of detail. Weve all seen the walkthrough but in person on your screen in native res we are in for a stunning treat. The dedetail is so incredibke you can oractically feel the textures of the cloth. One instance the minute fuzzy bobbles on a parker style coat particularly standing out i was floored.

If you are someone womderinf about exploring wide environments and getting lost in pointkess escapades let me say now this is not the game for Yo, nor is it a QTE fest (there was one in my enturentire time with the game). The level of detail in the story was apparant from the panel section and its something I will delve into next.

Key points from the panel.

-Very likely to be story focused DLC Jack the ripper was asked about, the reoly was "there were maby important figures at that time"

- No chance of the royal family being characters in the game.

-No mp planned nor wi there ever be.

-Hinted at a sequel being more open world, when asked about it he Ru (creative director) mentioned they were looking at it.

-The story has been planned from 1886- present day, he reiterated the story had to make sense to him through that timeliNe.

-Knights are rereplaced and chosen by the order when one dies.

-SPOILER!!!......... Galahad has died once aalready.

-Biggest inspiration on the game was Metal Gear Solid, Alien, James Bond and TLOU.

-The plan is for more games spanning multiple contries and time frames.

-THERE WILL BE AN ART BOOK

the main point I took was this is a very very strong story game with tight and very intense gameplay and hinestly I cant wait for next week.

Any questions and ill try and defrazzle my brain and answer them.

Are the first 2 tags really spoilers though? The screenshots the other thread was made for come from the level mentioned. We've seen gameplay showing that level a 100 times over the last week and a half.

Are the first 2 tags really spoilers though? The screenshots the other thread was made for come from the level mentioned. We've seen gameplay showing that level a 100 times over the last week and a half.

Probably not I was just erring on the side of caution. I haven't kept up with much of the game until recently so I'm not sure what has been shown/not shown

in gameplay psx demo Characters of uncharted 4 was in no way detailed like the order characters, but we'll see...

Eh, I haven't seen any pics which suggest that. I haven't seen any close ups of Drake's character during actual gameplay. But the model looks as good as what I have seen of the Order to me.

I think the Drakes LOD 0 at least is better than the character models we have seen in the the order from a polygonal perspective, and perhaps from a texture detail perspective with skin pores and such.

At the same time, I would say the shading on the models in u4 left a lot to be desired in comparison to this game. Especially during gameplay lighting conditions.

luca_29_bg

Eh, I haven't seen any pics which suggest that. I haven't seen any close ups of Drake's character during actual gameplay. But the model looks as good as what I have seen of the Order to me.

yeah i suppose that is a matter of personal preference. For me the incredible detail of the clothes of the order's characters is unmatched, respect to the usual t-shirt and and jeans of Nathan, there's not contest here, at least for me.

LuuKyK

The comment about they wanting it to be a series and spanning different countries makes me think of how Ubisoft approaches Assassins Creed games somehow.

Well, I am very surprised that we haven't seen any spoiler about Bobby Paige so far. So I guess he doesn't play a big part in the story. If so, I wonder who is the evil mastermind pulling the strings :D

Its been a few days now someone must have impressions of the game as a whole. Not just story or OMG look at the graphics, how is the actual GAME?

I know somebody said there are supposed to be 24 chapters in this game but I find that hard to believe based on the chapter in the stream I saw yesterday. In order for there to be 24 chapters the marketing team would have to have done the impossible and not shown a single frame of content from like the other 60% of the game. If they've managed to do that then hats off to them but I don't think there are 24 chapters.

I know somebody said there are supposed to be 24 chapters in this game but I find that hard to believe based on the chapter in the stream I saw yesterday. In order for there to be 24 chapters the marketing team has done the impossible and not shown a single frame of content from like the other 60% of the game. If they've managed to do that then hats off to them but I don't think there are 24 chapters.

Remember TLOU?

ND did not show off anything past Summer. At all. And Summer is like 60% of the game, Fall/Winter are only 40%

Its been a few days now someone must have impressions of the game as a whole. Not just story or OMG look at the graphics, how is the actual GAME?

Detailed impressions:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=151802885&postcount=2430

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=151808900&postcount=2515

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=151813118&postcount=2539

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=151814822&postcount=2543

This game is very much the real deal. There i said it. For me there hasnt been a level of cinematic gameplay and chracterization on this level in a game since TLOU.

Controls? Very responsive and smooth, not a slight hiccup in frame rate either with ALOT going on. What you probably dont get a feel for in the footage is how inaccurate and loose the guns feel which I have tk say I LOVED. guns have a real old school feel to them as hand guns pop in your hand and machine guns spray hoplessly out of control. The tesla gun is extrenely powerful one shot kill but take a while to charge. They are a specialty weapon.

-A couple of things, before I started as I do with most shooter based games I upped the sensitivity of all aim modes, dont ask why its just something I do. The shooting was sharp and concise. I was started out with the Tesla gun and had to pop off some enemies from distance, since it was anarchy the load time for the charge was too long to pop up and kill enemies quickly so I had to swap to my handgun and boy do the hand guns feel satisfying. They have a similar inaccuracy as TLOU you can wildly aim and flair your gun around but if you take a little more damage you can aim for that headshot which is very satisfying.

-Guns are absolutely littered about the place from dead bodies and ammo drops leading to a style of gameplay I would attribute to a game like TLOU where you will often run low on ammo and pick up a random weapon to get you through to the next area to restock on your main armoury.

-Melee is brutal and satisfying, it lends itself much like Uncharted to weakening enemies and as they recover head in for an incredibly stylish finisher.

Remember TLOU?

ND did not show off anything past Summer. At all. And Summer is like 60% of the game, Fall/Winter are only 40%

Went back and watch the story and launch trailers for TLOU and they showed a couple clips from winter and fall. The Order hasn't shown anything past a certain chapter as far as I know. So kudos to the marketing team for doing RAD a solid if they've held back on showing the second 60% of this game.

Went back and watch the story and launch trailers for TLOU and they showed a couple clips from winter and fall. The Order hasn't shown anything past a certain chapter as far as I know. So kudos to the marketing team for doing RAD a solid if they've held back on showing the second 60% of this game.

Mind linking me to one of the trailers?

I believe you I just must have blocked it out of my mind.

None of that has been shown/talked about. Personally I'm sick of bosses in games I kind of hope there isn't any or that they're limited.

If they are boss battles i hope it's like the
David
one in TLOU , that was great .
But this time with a werewolf elder or something like that it would be awesome.

None of that has been shown/talked about. Personally I'm sick of bosses in games I kind of hope there isn't any or that they're limited.

Well I am not and I think they are a key component in making a game memorable and giving gameplay variety. This game seemed to be built around bosses, seeing that you hunt giant werewolf monsters which are classic game bosses.

nib95

Banned
Personally I'm all for bosses if they're done well. Loved the Beserker and General Raam in Gears. Though aside from the Lambent Beserker, subsequent bosses in the sequels weren't as well done.

Quite enjoyed fighting Big Daddy's in Bioshock as well, though I suppose Eldar Lycans in The Order are a similar equivalent.

Well I am not and I think they are a key component in making a game memorable and giving gameplay variety. This game seemed to be built around bosses, seeing that you hunt giant werewolf monsters which are classic game bosses.

I think encounter pacing and standard enemy variety is way more important than throwing you in a locked room with some big dude with a massive health bar.

But to each their own I suppose. I don't mind bosses as long as they're dynamic and interesting.

Edit: ^ Nibs, is Beserker the one that chases you around those rooms with columns in Gears? I did love that fight even though it scared the shit out of me

nib95

Banned
I think encounter pacing and standard enemy variety is way more important than throwing you in a locked room with some big dude with a massive health bar.

But to each their own I suppose. I don't mind bosses as long as they're dynamic and interesting.

Edit: ^ Nibs, is Beserker the one that chases you around those rooms with columns in Gears? I did love that fight even though it scared the shit out of me

Yeap that's the one. Really loved his implementation. First time I fought him I was legit scared lol. Reminded me of the Nemesis boss from one of the Resident Evil games, crashing through walls chasing and scaring you lol.

I think all the greatest games of all time have memorable bosses. What would MGS be without the boss battles? What would a Zelda dungeon be without a boss? What would Metroid be without giant screen filling boss battles? What would Resident Evil be without a Tyrant or Nemesis? The problem I see is that many western devs have no clue how to make a good boss battle, so games like Uncharted end up with a poor one at the end that doesn't fit.

Yeap that's the one. Really loved his implementation. First time I fought him I was legit scared lol. Reminded me of the Nemesis boss from one of the Resident Evil games, crashing through walls chasing and scaring you lol.

Hahaha, yeah. I never beat Gears 1 (only finished 3 of the 5 acts because I couldn't handle the bad framereate) and didn't play 2 or 3 so I really hope they make a 1080/60 collection for XB1. Would buy it in a heartbeat.

nib95

Banned
I think all the greatest games of all time have memorable bosses. What would MGS be without the boss battles? What would a Zelda dungeon be without a boss? What would Metroid be without giant screen filling boss battles? What would Resident Evil be without a Tyrant or Nemesis? The problem I see is that many western devs have no clue how to make a good boss battle, so games like Uncharted end up with a poor one at the end that doesn't fit.

Far as I can remember, Last of Us doesn't really have any bosses, unless you count the bloaters. But I'd argue The Order has its own version of those in the different kinds of Lycans.

I agree those games have amazing bosses, I'm just not convinced that they are necessary in certain types of games. TLOU did a pretty good job of subverting that trend, other than the bloaters, the only real boss fight was
David
which was very unique and well done. The fact there was no *final boss* was also a breath of fresh air.

But like I said I don't knock people who want them, I just hope RAD made the best choice for this game.

Ah yeah thanks. Forgot they showed that stuff.

In any case someone in here said they saw a chapter select screen on one of the streams and that there was 24 chapters shown. Seems like an odd thing to make up but maybe they misunderstood what they were seeing
Well if it is 24 chapters that means the game has a pretty good length to it.

Far as I can remember, Last of Us doesn't really have any bosses, unless you count the bloaters. But I'd argue The Order has its own version of those in the different kinds of Lycans.

The only thing in TLOU you can call a boss battle is the
David fight

David
was a classic boss battle done in a great way. Bloaters are just a standard type of enemy, a rarer one but definitely not a boss.

To me when they revealed the premise of the game it seemed tailor made to have big time boss battles against these monsters. Now it doesn't always have to be fight a big monster with lots of health, it could be a big action setpiece that plays out differently. To me if the Order is to be special it needs to nail the werewolf battles, they all need to be fun, unique and have to standout.,

Mifune

Mehmber
One story-driven game that was ruined by bosses was Enslaved. I really enjoyed the normal combat and story progression, but then it felt like almost every chapter ended with some big dumb janky boss battle against robotic dogs or some shit.

Top Bottom