• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 screenshots

Majanew

Banned
Not a fan of the black bars, but if it helps the game have CGi-level visuals, then I'll give it a go. I haven't played Gears in a while and I need a cover-based third-person shooter... Bring it on!

SDCowboy

Not a fan of the black bars, but if it helps the game have CGi-level visuals, then I'll give it a go. I haven't played Gears in a while and I need a cover-based third-person shooter... Bring it on!

I didn't think I would be able to stand the bars either, but I had to watch the footage again to see if they were even there as I completely didn't notice them.

Regardless of their explanation for the "Infiltration uniforms" the overall impact of the change is still "visual blandness." I really hope they don't make too many "creative" changes at the expense of aesthetic originality to achieve realism— especially when the aesthetics of the game was initially one of the only noticeably unique things setting this game apart from many other cover-based TPS.

Still pretty cool outfits, and still a noticeably different aesthetic to other games.

Regardless of their explanation for the "Infiltration uniforms" the overall impact of the change is still "visual blandness." I really hope they don't make too many "creative" changes at the expense of aesthetic originality to achieve realism— especially when the aesthetics of the game was initially one of the only noticeably unique things setting this game apart from many other cover-based TPS.

The devs already said there would be multiple uniforms so blandness shouldn't be a problem. But in context, you would not be trying to sneak through a place in deep blue cloth and gold buttons and epaulets everywhere..

I think we should wait for a few more area's of the game (or at least the outfits/environments) before we start calling it bland.

Ricky_R

Yeah, I'm having trouble understanding why they spoil us with such awesome uniforms just to tell us now that those are ceremonial ones. Going by that, we will be using the simpler ones for most of the game.

I wonder if the reveal gameplay footage, which had the ceremonial uniforms, has been updated with the infiltration ones. Would be a bummer. I'm assuming a lot though, I'm aware. ;)

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Yeah, I'm having trouble understanding why they spoil us with such awesome uniforms just to tell us now that those are ceremonial ones. Going by that, we will be using the simpler ones for most of the game.
Maybe they are ambushed a lot while they go to ceremonies. What a twist.

Naminator

Banned
There's no scaling, there is no 1920x800.

Sigh...........

Are we still at that point where people don't know how resolution works? It's funny because I bet most of these people know the PS4 specs like the back of their hand, although I doubt they understand them.

Looks much better than it did before, but i didn't need direct screencaps to tell me this, i could tell even from the shitty quality stream that it looked better.

I wonder if the reveal gameplay footage, which had the ceremonial uniforms, has been updated with the infiltration ones. Would be a bummer. I'm assuming a lot though, I'm aware. ;)

I think that the ceremonial uniforms were just the first designs they liked/approved, thus were the first ones modeled in-game. As time went on more uniforms were completed and added into the game.

And I want to see anyone find a soldier who would rather get into gunfights in their "ceremonial uniform" than in their fatigues.

Anteater

I fully support the decision to go with the letterbox look, as it truly adds to the cinematic quality. It represents a better compromise for performance than upscaling, IMO. I am eager to try this.

Doesn't it make the view wider (like you see more on the sides)? I actually like having a wider aspect ratio for tps, I played through Mafia 2 at 1920x800 and I think it was pretty cool.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I think that the ceremonial uniforms were just the first designs they liked/approved, thus were the first ones modeled in-game. As time went on more uniforms were completed and added into the game.

And I want to see anyone find a soldier who would rather get into gunfights in their "ceremonial uniform" than in their fatigues.

I want to see a game that looks as beautiful as it can, all the time. I don't need realistic sartorial choices in my flame-machine-gun-werewolf-shooter.

I'm not by any means down on the game because of this change, but making things look visually more bland for the sake of realism (and this even extends to post processing that washes out the colors) is not necessarily a good choice in my book.

I fully support the decision to go with the letterbox look, as it truly adds to the cinematic quality. It represents a better compromise for performance than upscaling, IMO. I am eager to try this.

I disagree on that. To find the differences between 900p upscaled and 1080p GAF has had to really zoom into images to find tiny differences in IQ that wouldn't be noticed for most people's set up (TV not big enough, or sitting too far away). The difference in IQ is minimal as long as the 900p game has decent AA. The black bars on the other hand are extremely noticeable.

Looks fantastic. I played Beyond: 2 Souls with the same letter boxing and you don't even notice during the game. Can't wait to see more.

StuBurns

Banned
I disagree on that. To find the differences between 900p upscaled and 1080p GAF has had to really zoom into images to find tiny differences in IQ that wouldn't be noticed for most people's set up (TV not big enough, or sitting too far away). The difference in IQ is minimal as long as the 900p game has decent AA. The black bars on the other hand are extremely noticeable.
No, upscaling can be seen very clearly by lots of people, it looks awful.

Either way, again, they wouldn't go to 900p, they have lots of bandwidth for full screen with lesser AA.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Nope. When the game is in motion on your screen, the artifacts of using a non-native resolution are fairly apparent. No zooming necessary.

Black bars are the absence of information, and, practically by definition, when you are playing the game you will not notice them. Do black bars haunt you when you watch a widescreen movie? No. Because your attention is on the visual information, not the absence of visual information.

All this horseshit about black bars is coming from the hyper-analysis of still images. Still images lead people to pay attention to (and criticize) all kinds of things that barely matter while you're actively engaged in playing the game.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Looking much better than the stream stills of course lol.
I'm want to experience the flow of this game. The use of this more cinematic and up close shots to gameplay transitions means they have to get the flow right. Show me what you got, RAD!

gogogow

Doesn't it make the view wider (like you see more on the sides)? I actually like having a wider aspect ratio for tps, I played through Mafia 2 at 1920x800 and I think it was pretty cool.

It depends on the fov. All fps we play are 16:9, but the fov vary from game to game and of course depends on the game's performance. If you have a 4:3 video and add black bars to make it widescreen then it will not give you more information.

spekkeh

Banned
Praise the focus groups. May they continue to remove specificity.
I actually very much like the artistic choice of making the environments and characters desaturated, juxtaposed with the colorful vibrance of the explosions. Makes your interaction with the world really stand out and extra rewarding.

Nope. When the game is in motion on your screen, the artifacts of using a non-native resolution are fairly apparent. No zooming necessary.

Black bars are the absence of information, and, practically by definition, when you are playing the game you will not notice them. Do black bars haunt you when you watch a widescreen movie? No. Because your attention is on the visual information, not the absence of visual information.

All this horseshit about black bars is coming from the hyper-analysis of still images. Still images lead people to pay attention to (and criticize) all kinds of things that barely matter while you're actively engaged in playing the game.

So much this. I watched the gameplay yesterday and honestly did not even realize there were bars until watching it a couple more times afterwards.

My excitement for this game is still through the roof, generic tps gameplay or not. As long as RAD can deliver believable and compelling characters with a solid story and well performing game they have my purchase day one.

The game oozes atmosphere and I dont think a game has pulled me in this much on that quality alone since Bioshock 1.

Anteater

It depends on the fov. All fps we play are 16:9, but the fov vary from game to game and of course depends on the game's performance. If you have a 4:3 video and add black bars to make it widescreen then it will not give you more information.

hmm I hope it's not cropped :(

Beyond looked absolutely fantastic and I didn't mind the black bars once. While watching trailers I thought that it was pretty dumb, but upon playing the game I couldn't care less.
So yeah, I don't mind them at all.

nib95

Banned
I kind of wish there was multiplayer in this game.

Even co-op/horde mode would be nice.

Same. It could have been epic. All will be forgiven if they offer a comprehensive campaign. But I mean closer to the length of something like LoU or Bioshock Infinite.

No, it isn't.

It is. They are not rendering the full 1080 vertical lines. Unless they are and they chose to put black bars on top of the rendering, making it a useless consumption of power.
So yes, this way they render less pixels, BUT that does not change the pixel density that the user sees. So it will still look as crisp as a 1080p game like infamous

I still hate the black bars, I thought they took away from immersiveness in Beyond. Overall image in this looks fantastic, but I'm worried that the "cinematic movie" filter might make it harder to play for longer periods.

t_wilson01

Regardless of how the gameplay turns out, at one point or another I'll have to own this game. Those graphics are spectacular. I love the setting, the atmosphere, the look of the characters. Great stuff.

One thing worries me though. I saw some videos on another thread where screen tearing could clearly be seen. That would be a deal breaker for me, I can't stand tearing.

wapplew

TO1886_WCH_Square_09_2014_05_21.jpg

I must say, this is the closest we can get from playing a CGI cut scene on PS4.

Prelude.

Regardless of how the gameplay turns out, at one point or another I'll have to own this game. Those graphics are spectacular. I love the setting, the atmosphere, the look of the characters. Great stuff.

One thing worries me though. I saw some videos on another thread where screen tearing could clearly be seen. That would be a deal breaker for me, I can't stand tearing.
I wouldn't worry about it, the last Sony game with tearing was like Uncharted 1 or something.

If the screenshots end up reflecting the final build it's easily the best looking game I've seen. Just crazy to be seeing stuff like this so early on in the generation, and it makes me really excited to see what the pc will be pushing in a few years.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Looks fantastic. I played Beyond: 2 Souls with the same letter boxing and you don't even notice during the game. Can't wait to see more.
Same experience I had with both Beyond and GCN Resident Evil 4. My mind simply focuses on what's there and ignores any black space.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I can see RAD going with an angle of Ripper wasn't actually a human but was one of those werewolf type creatures from the reveal trailer. The brutal nature of the murders would work in context.
I dunno, it would kind of cheapen the whole thing, as if humans couldn't be capable of such brutal murders and it had to be a fantasy monster... I'd certainly find that very lame, but I'm not worried that they'll write something like that.

imtehman

Banned
Denied. We don't need multiplayer for everything.

agreed. the game doesnt have multiplayer or coop but if the campaign is full of extra stuff (puzzles, exploration etc) and the campaign is long then i would be okay with that. BUT, if its 6 hours long and just a corridor shooter then wow.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I just don't like the idea of using a real serial killer from history. He's become this almost mythical figure, as if he wasn't an actual person. Even worse if he's revealed to be a half-breed or something.

I think games need to be delicate when they tackle historical events, and I don't trust anyone to do it respectfully.

I can already see Penny Dreadful making me throw something at the TV when they reveal him to be a vampire or some shit.

At least EA canceled Ripper, GAF would have seen a meltdown like no other.

I think a good way for them to handle it would be that the Jack the Ripper story was just a cover for the hybrid attacks.

Personally I want to see Jekyll and Hyde.

Agreed, it adds to the atmosphere of the game.

TyrantII

I tend to agree, but we also know they're running 4xMSAA. At that level it's purely a choice between a different more efficient AA solution vs more pixels.

As long as it's 1:1 pixel mapping (and it is), I could care less.

Watchdogs and BF4's slight blur on my large screen TV are more annoying with each additional release of a 1080P game. If you have long draw distances and open worlds, you need to step up meet a HD display standard that was set in place almost a decade ago.

Pimpwerx

Are the black bars really worth 4xMSAA though? A crisp image is great but those bars are way more distracting than jaggies that you may or may not notice in the heat of action.
Maybe wait to see it on a TV first. Lots of movies have black bars on HDTV. PEACE.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I think a good way for them to handle it would be that the Jack the Ripper story was just a cover for the hybrid attacks.
What if they like see the murders that he perpetrated and then they totally recruit him into the group and give him that black stuff and try experimental cyborg limb replacements and he becomes the Terminator?

If they're to go with a half-beast 'Jack' lore, I'd rather they just go with Spring-heeled Jack.

Which makes perfect sense, in a way. Someone capable of making great leaping feats, had claws, etc.

Top Bottom