• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 screenshots

can anyone tell me what the bar under the ammo icons means?

http://abload.de/img/to1886_e3_2014_floordhjugj.jpg[/I
[IMG]http://abload.de/img/to1886_wch_alley_07_2k2une.jpg[/I

i also think the ammo number + ammo icons are a bit redundant.[/QUOTE]
Agreed if that's the case. I want little to no information on my screen, this game is too beautiful to be covered up!

t_wilson01

Would it make sense to display the hud over the black bars instead of over the picture?
Probably not because the black bars would have to be included in screen shots instead of just cropping them out. Could also be for the same reason subtitles in movies are not displayed over the black bars, that cinematic feel.

KKRT00

Oh. Are there any benchmarks of MSAA in Forward engines?
TD - tiled deferred [BF3 for example]
F+ - forward +
ibxDjajepngF1C.jpg

http://developer.amd.com/wordpress/...wdown_ForwardPlusPlusVsDeferredRendering.ppsx

I fully support the decision to go with the letterbox look, as it truly adds to the cinematic quality. It represents a better compromise for performance than upscaling, IMO. I am eager to try this.

I agree with this. I hope this type of look can now be accepted as a valid choice for other developers to use either for performance and/or aesthetic reasons.

nib95

Banned
He is correct.

1080p is the vertical resolution, and this isn't that.

It's 800p, the thing I don't get about that debate is people who like to argue it's not 800p seemed to be of the opinion saying it's not 1080p is somehow disparaging the game, not just being accurate. Call a spade a spade (a phrase taken from Dorian Gray ironically).

The industry will move to horizontal resolution referencing next-gen anyway, so this won't be a point of contention forever.

It's not 800p because the horizontal resolution would have to scale with it. It's 1080p with black borders or 2:40:1 aspect ratio, as described by countless directors, cinema and movie buffs, critics etc alike. You really think Deakins and Mendes refer to the Skyfall blu ray transfer as being 800p? Lol. It's 1080p letterboxed.

can anyone tell me what the bar under the ammo icons means?

to1886_e3_2014_floordhjugj.jpg

to1886_wch_alley_07_2k2une.jpg

i also think the ammo number + ammo icons are a bit redundant.

HUD needs to be more minimal.
Just lower the opacity of the gun icon on the bottom right to 60% and it would be more than good enough. I would use the same effect on the gun name as well, leaving perhaps just the 42 bullets on the clip and whatever the hell that white thing at the bottom is 100% opacity white.

Would it make sense to display the hud over the black bars instead of over the picture?

Ask yourself would it make sense if the hud could be displayed off screen in a full screen game (as in on the frame of your TV somehow) to do that? Or would it break the immersion and be quite distracting?

nib95

Banned
I hope they add more opacity to the HUD elements, because white on moody dark colours is begging for image retention lol.

Spongebob

Banned
The Order: 1886 is rendered at 1920x800, it's that simple.

Let's not refer to it as 800p since that would imply a 1422x800 resolution.

Let's not refer to it as 1080p since that would imply a 1920x1080 resoution.

jiiikoo

Banned
I hope they add more opacity to the HUD elements, because white on moody dark colours is begging for image retention lol.

Or give the option to change the opacity. I don't understand why most games don't seem to have that option. I got pretty bad IR from playing Black Flag :<

StuBurns

Banned
It's not 800p because the horizontal resolution would have to scale with it. It's 1080p with black borders or 2:40:1 aspect ratio, as described by countless directors, cinema and movie buffs, critics etc alike. You really think Deakins and Mendes refer to the Skyfall blu ray transfer as being 800p? Lol. It's 1080p letterboxed.
The film industry defines transfers by the horizontal resolution, things are 2k, 4k, 8k, etc. Those are rough terms though, 2k is 1920, 4k is 3840, etc. So the vertical resolution is irrelevant, in video games people refer to the vertical resolution, so it's not a very apt comparison.

I also don't care what Mendes calls it, he's a film director, not an image display engineer.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Xbone devs should definitely adopt the 1920x800 resolution, the 1:1 pixel mapping alone would do wonders for image quality.

Spongebob

Banned
Xbone devs should definitely adopt the 1920x800 resolution, the 1:1 pixel mapping alone would do wonders for image quality.
The black bars associated with 1920x800 won't look good with all games. The Order is going for a "filmic" look, so the black bars don't look out of place IMO.

For multiplatform games it would also be strange to have XBO and PS4 versions which have different aspect ratios. As Raist mentioned above me, 1920x800 also has more pixels than 900p.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Well it's still more pixels than 1600x900, which so far is the best non-full 1080p anyone went for.

It's a handful more. With optimisation improvements they should be able to make that up easily. Ironic that the solution to Xbone's woes came from a Sony-owned studio.
The black bars associated with 1920x800 won't look good with all games. The Order is going for a "filmic" look, so the black bars don't look out of place IMO.

I think it would work fine for stuff like Ryse, Halo 5 and Gears.

StuBurns

Banned
People would be skeptical it was just to avoid performance limitations instead of a creative decision like with this game though. Probably just cause even worse PR.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
People would be skeptical it was just to avoid performance limitations instead of a creative decision like with this game though. Probably just cause even worse PR.

And so? The image quality will still be improved, that's what's important.

[edit] Not really interested in dragging this thread super off-topic. The Order has fantastic graphics, still perched to see whether I think the gameplay is interesting. Bring on E3.

jiiikoo

Banned
[edit] Not really interested in dragging this thread super off-topic. The Order has fantastic graphics, still perched to see whether I think the gameplay is interesting. Bring on E3.

I hope they can make the gameplay interesting and not just more of the same thru out the whole game.

DrunkDan

I just don't like the idea of using a real serial killer from history. He's become this almost mythical figure, as if he wasn't an actual person. Even worse if he's revealed to be a half-breed or something.

I think games need to be delicate when they tackle historical events, and I don't trust anyone to do it respectfully.

I can already see Penny Dreadful making me throw something at the TV when they reveal him to be a vampire or some shit.

At least EA canceled Ripper, GAF would have seen a meltdown like no other.

I see where you're coming from but Assassins Creed has handled this type of thing pretty well in parts.

AC2 was excellent in this regard, plus the game gets instant brownie points for allowing me to fist fight the Pope.

I think if the ripper doesn't make an appearance they'll certainly allude to him at some point, but I like the suggestion that he might be a half breed creature. Would certainly tie in with how brutal some of the murders were.

Plus there's a good chance you'd get to kill him, so it's less glamourising him and more vilifying him so that would go down better. A little uproar wouldn't be the worst type of publicity either....

StuBurns

Banned
And so? The image quality will still be improved, that's what's important.

I don't know if you want me to answer or not given you asked the question, but then suggested maybe you don't want to discuss it.

Maybe it's thread worthy "Is cinemascope the answer to 900p woes?" or whatnot.

RAD should offer users a choice of colours for the bars so those who don't like black can change them. Maybe you could put a user theme in there, or some scrolly text, or something.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I don't know if you want me to answer or not given you asked the question, but then suggested maybe you don't want to discuss it.

Maybe it's thread worthy "Is cinemascope the answer to 900p woes?" or whatnot.

I'm not hugely interested in making a thread. If you want to, be my guest.

My point is only that they're already getting shit for dropping to sub-HD, so there's not really anything to lose from letterboxing it, but they're at least getting 1:1 pixel mapping.

I'm not hugely interested in making a thread. If you want to, be my guest.

My point is only that they're already getting shit for dropping to sub-HD, so there's not really anything to lose from letterboxing it, but they're at least getting 1:1 pixel mapping.

you do know the order has a higher fov due to the aspect ratio, no? it's not just a simple elimination of the top and bottom part of the screen.

StuBurns

Banned
you do know the order has a higher fov due to the aspect ratio, no? it's not just a simple elimination of the top and bottom part of the screen.
Has anyone ever actually said what the FoV is?

image.jpg

TLo_U.png

It looks no wider to me.

It shouldn't be either, FoV is based on player distance from the screen and screen size.

Top Bottom