• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outer Worlds will be enhanced for Xbox One X, not for PlayStation 4 Pro [UPDATE: False]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm chilled, what made you think I was not.......Just stating the facts relative to specs......
You have no facts relative to the specs beyond the results, the relative facts are the results and a 1440p resolution is not an uncommon or outlandish resolution by any means. The system is limited by not only available but also memory bandwidth, it's bottlenecked. What do you want from it?

Do you think developers are holding back or something? It's a flawed system by design, you need to disconnect yourself from this piece of plastic.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

Tell me more about this massive cpu boost over base????? because it really does not exist, but I'd like to hear your tech breakdown on the huge gulf in the cpu uptake over base..... Should make for very interesting and enlightening reading If I'm honest.....Maybe there is a hidden 8 core jaguar chiplet that we missed...... Please clarify.
You are reading it wrong. I’ll help you.

massive GPU.

CPU boost.

massive RAM boost.

ok all better now?

thelastword

Banned
You have no facts relative to the specs beyond the results, the relative facts are the results and a 1440p resolution is not an uncommon or outlandish resolution by any means. The system is limited by not only available but also memory bandwidth, it's bottlenecked. What do you want from it?

Do you think developers are holding back or something? It's a flawed system by design, you need to disconnect yourself from this piece of plastic.
Dragonballz, 1800p, 60fps
Souls 2 Remaster 1800p, 60fps
Battlefield 1, 1620, 60fps
COD Remastered 1620, 60fps
Victor Van 1620p, 60fps
Little nightmares 1620, 60fps
No man's sky 1800p
Far Cry 5 1620p......

1440p is fine too depending on the titles, especially those with great IQ already, but it's not the only resolution you see........ Quite a few 4k native and Cb titles are common too, even for multiplats....

Battle born and Paladins are 4k, Mordor is close enough and so many others..... There's a time we got an influx of 1440p titles, only because ND did it, so devs didn't bother doing more, but UC pushes the Pro more than any of these multiplats with great IQ already, so you can understand 1440p, but these multiplats could have been at higher resolutions. Most of these devs just slapped 1440p on PRO and called it a day......since it's the easiest thing to do with no optimization whatsoever.....

Watch, this list, lots of different resolutions......
https://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PS4_Pro_Game_Upgrades_and_Differences

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Victor Van 1620p, 60fps
No man's sky 1800p
Far Cry 5 1620p......

1440p is fine too depending on the titles, especially those with great IQ already, but it's not the only resolution you see........ Quite a few 4k native and Cb titles are common too, even for multiplats....

Battle born and Paladins are 4k, Mordor is close enough and so many others..... There's a time we got an influx of 1440p titles, only because ND did it, so devs didn't bother doing more, but UC pushes the Pro more than any of these multiplats with great IQ already, so you can understand 1440p, but these multiplats could have been at higher resolutions. Most of these devs just slapped 1440p on PRO and called it a day......since it's the easiest thing to do with no optimization whatsoever.....

A "Pro" system that churns out 1440p and 1620p is nothing to brag about.

thelastword

Banned
You are reading it wrong. I’ll help you.

massive GPU.

CPU boost.

massive RAM boost.

ok all better now?
He said massive cpu and gpu....... I agree with massive gpu and ram boost over BASE XBOX 1, not with cpu.....
It's not boasting, it's simply showing the rez divides that EXISTS..... and why a game which is 1080p on XBONES should never be 1080p on PRO.....

So people who thought this game being 1080p on PRO was because it was hard to boost framerate on PRO or because the dev needed more money to do it, were incorrect........

Yooka Kaylee being rez parity on Pro and XBONES is not something you want to encourage no matter which side of the fence, you're on, just like the person's already justifying 4K XBONEX vs 1080p on PRO....... Such a huge divide would have nothing to do with time or finances.

Interestingly enough, there could be some truth to Obsidian's efforts on PRO as reported by Jez, they never corrected it..... And as I said earlier.... 1440p is the easiest no effort optimization resolution to slap on PRO, you might even have a framerate surplus at that rez....... With 1620-1800p, they might have to do a bit more tweaking on PRO as they are doing on X to achieve 4k there....

Sure. It's nothing to brag about but it's still a nice hardware spec and tangible visual upgrade for PS4 gamers. Especially so for optimised first party Sony games.

If the PS4 Pro didn't sound like a combustion leaf blower whilst playing the simplest indie game at those resolutions, I'd say that it's a fantastic console iteration. I just wish that Sony had released a silent PS4 Pro revision in a smaller form factor before the PS5. If they did that, I would have bought one to complement my second gen PS4.

Victor Van 1620p, 60fps
No man's sky 1800p
Far Cry 5 1620p......

I'm aware of the basically complete list of enhanced games for the system, I own the system, I know what is and is not supported and to what level. These resolutions you're pushing here are largely edge cases for the platform, a good 80% of the library is hovering around 1440p as the upper bounds.

I mean I see you've got Battlefield 1 listed there which is arguably the best looking game in that list, yeah it's around 1620p but it's checkerboarded to that. Far Cry 5 the other good looking game, well that's dynamic resolution...

No one is saying it's a shit system but it's got some intrinsic faults which severely gimp it relative to the 'other' system. Developers are not just shitting out 1440p patches because it's easy, there's too many of them for it to be coincidental, it's because the abilities of the system do not by and large drive it to be able to perform in excess of that.

You greatly overestimate this system.

Last edited:
I'm aware of the basically complete list of enhanced games for the system, I own the system, I know what is and is not supported and to what level. These resolutions you're pushing here are largely edge cases for the platform, a good 80% of the library is hovering around 1440p as the upper bounds.

I mean I see you've got Battlefield 1 listed there which is arguably the best looking game in that list, yeah it's around 1620p but it's checkerboarded to that. Far Cry 5 the other good looking game, well that's dynamic resolution...

No one is saying it's a shit system but it's got some intrinsic faults which severely gimp it relative to the 'other' system. Developers are not just shitting out 1440p patches because it's easy, there's too many of them for it to be coincidental, it's because the abilities of the system do not by and large drive it to be able to perform in excess of that.

It really makes you wonder what could've been if Sony just waited another year like Microsoft did. Hey, maybe I could have a basic fuckin 4k Blu-ray player in the Pro. <--- ridiculous oversight

Pallas

It really makes you wonder what could've been if Sony just waited another year like Microsoft did. Hey, maybe I could have a basic fuckin 4k Blu-ray player in the Pro. <--- ridiculous oversight

Good point, while I love the PS4 Pro I think it is a bit underpowered compared to the XboxOne X. It would be interesting to see what it would have if it had released around the same time frame of the XboxOne X.

I do agree that the exclusion of a 4K Blu-ray drive on the Pro was a mistake.

Reactions: Isa
Good point, while I love the PS4 Pro I think it is a bit underpowered compared to the XboxOne X. It would be interesting to see what it would have if it had released around the same time frame of the XboxOne X.

I do agree that the exclusion of a 4K Blu-ray drive on the Pro was a mistake.

the amount of RAM [that's the problem and not gpu power ] has nothing to do with time frame.... it's all about the cost reduction.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
He said massive cpu and gpu....... I agree with massive gpu and ram boost over BASE XBOX 1, not with cpu.....
It's not boasting, it's simply showing the rez divides that EXISTS..... and why a game which is 1080p on XBONES should never be 1080p on PRO.....

So people who thought this game being 1080p on PRO was because it was hard to boost framerate on PRO or because the dev needed more money to do it, were incorrect........

Yooka Kaylee being rez parity on Pro and XBONES is not something you want to encourage no matter which side of the fence, you're on, just like the person's already justifying 4K XBONEX vs 1080p on PRO....... Such a huge divide would have nothing to do with time or finances.

Interestingly enough, there could be some truth to Obsidian's efforts on PRO as reported by Jez, they never corrected it..... And as I said earlier.... 1440p is the easiest no effort optimization resolution to slap on PRO, you might even have a framerate surplus at that rez....... With 1620-1800p, they might have to do a bit more tweaking on PRO as they are doing on X to achieve 4k there....
At the end of the day it’s upto the developer how they use the systems. They may think that the work that they put in to get the extra resolution of frame rates on the pro ain’t worth it where the X has bigger gains in that respect over the base model.

extra hours and man power don’t come for free and that small bump might not be worth it. It was said when the X came out that nobody would bother using that extra power because not enough consoles sold but that’s found to not be the case.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
To many people that doesn't matter. But before people get into the resolution, texture etc. fanboy fight. Everyone seems to forget it's an Obsidian game. Why worry about resolution, textures etc. When you should absolutely be worried about optimisation and bugs.
yeqh but this thread ain’t about bugs it’s about the Pro not getting the patch , when in fact it will be getting a bump after all

To many people that doesn't matter. But before people get into the resolution, texture etc. fanboy fight. Everyone seems to forget it's an Obsidian game. Why worry about resolution, textures etc. When you should absolutely be worried about optimisation and bugs.

True, I remember with New Vegas I had to copy in some DX9.dll file into the game folder to get to run more than 30fps

Virex

Banned
True, I remember with New Vegas I had to copy in some DX9.dll file into the game folder to get to run more than 30fps
All their stuff is fucked at launch and most still buggy as hell.

Kotor 2 (bug filled and broken. Still great though)
New Vegas (though its still a fine game)
Alpha Protocol
Pillars of Eternity (Enjoyed it)
Tyranny(still very broken)
Pillars of Eternity 2 (Piece of shit)
Neverwinter Nights 2 (even community can't fix it)
Stick Of Truth (was surprising not a buggy mess)

When Chris Avellone left is when the last real talent at Obsidian left.

I'm ready for numerous game breaking bugs in Outer Worlds. Those 4K textures and resolution bumps will be irrelevant compared to the power of Obsidian's QA department or shall I say... Lack of it. They are a scummy company at the top. Just ask Chris Avellone

Last edited:

Teslerum

Alpha Protocol

I'm ready for numerous game breaking bugs in Outer Worlds. Those 4K textures and resolution bumps will be irrelevant compared to the power of Obsidian's QA department or shall I say... Lack of it. They are a scummy company at the top. Just ask Chris Avellone

Chris Avellone also has/had a midlife-crisis and hasn't produced anything of note since the New Vegas DLC (on account of taking on a million projects, without really contributing anything). While having no problem working for EA or *We need to punch up, not down. SJW for life* working with Cara Ellison.

Also while Feargus is certainly questionable, Avellone actually thinks highly of a lot of the development team. His problem was mainly with the owners and a few devs (one who's not even working at the company anymore)

And most of all: Saying Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky have no talent is an insult to all of modern rpgs.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
Chris Avellone also has/had a midlife-crisis and hasn't produced anything of note since the New Vegas DLC (on account of taking on a million projects, without really contributing anything). While having no problem working for EA or *We need to punch up, not down. SJW for life* working with Cara Ellison.

Also while Feargus is certainly questionable, Avellone actually thinks highly of a lot of the development team. His problem was mainly with the owners and a few devs (one who's not even working at the company anymore)

And most of all: Saying Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky have no talent is an insult to all of modern rpgs.
If you finally earn the ability to read properly and learn to comprehend in a way that a sentient being is supposed to. You will grasp and understand when you read something that is written by another sentient being especially in a form of language that you know and mostly understand to the best of your ability. I do hope that one day you are blessed with all of the above. Because you simply seem to fail to grasp all of the below

They are a scummy company at the top. Just ask Chris Avellone

True, but I don't think it is entirely down to waiting a year.

The PS4PRO is pretty much two PS4's celotaped together. The Xbox One X is an entirely new console, with the exception of the CPU. Microsoft 'cheated' a little bit as it isn't so much of an enhanced XBONE as it is a 'new-gen' machine.

Teslerum

If you finally earn the ability to read properly and learn to comprehend in a way that a sentient being is supposed to. You will grasp and understand when you read something that is written by another sentient being especially in a form of language that you know and mostly understand to the best of your ability. I do hope that one day you are blessed with all of the above. Because you simply seem to fail to grasp all of the below

I do. Now do the same.

While having no problem working for EA
(Which company is scummier at the top than EA, except maybe Activion, pray tell?)

Also while Feargus is certainly questionable

And then you also made the following claim

Which I answered with

, Avellone actually thinks highly of a lot of the development team

Saying Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky have no talent is an insult to all of modern rpgs.

So, we understand each other perfectly. Also nice insults. You okay up there on your high horse?

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
I do. Now do the same.

(Which company pray tell is scummier at the top than EA, except maybe Activion, pray tell?)

And then you also made the following claim

Which I answered with

So, we understand each other perfectly.
Not really. You should take your Obsidian sunglasses off from time to time.

Virex

Banned
Dissming my explanation without retort.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yeah, dude. You keep yours on as well.
Not dismissing in the slightest. You make valid points and neither did I say CA is some saint. But it's hard getting any point across when you are viewing everything through Obsidian Entertainment coated glasses.

Teslerum

Not dismissing in the slightest. You make valid points and neither did I say CA is some saint. But it's hard getting any point across when you are viewing everything through Obsidian Entertainment coated glasses.

Oh, then we are on the same page.

Here's my view on Obsidian:

- Last decent game was Stick of Truth
- Pillars was mediocre, Pillars 2 was (imo) bad
- Tyranny was ok/decent (If you got into it and accepted the underdeveloped parts)
- Feargus & Chris Parker ARE scummy/questionable. In some ways the Microsoft merger actually helps there since they now have to report to someone and can be skipped.
- Sawyer needs someone beside him and/or is only really good when he can focus on his strengths. Him heading Pillars was the wrong decision.

So maybe we're closer than you think.

:messenger_heart:

I do have high hopes in Outer Worlds, Leonard and Tim are experienced directors and have managed to break through with a strong vision multiple times already. The Lead Designer is Charles Staples who is with the company since 2007 and was a Lead on New Vegas and (as already mentioned) the writers get much stronger direction on this with Leonard in charge than ever on Pillars.

I'm not even too worried about bugs, to be honest. Release gameplay footage so far has been mostly bug free (Apart from your smally typical stuff like some clipping issues,)

Of course we'll know tomorrow anyway, reviews are thankfully out before release.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
Oh, then we are on the same page.

Here's my view on Obsidian:

- Last decent game was Stick of Truth
- Pillars was mediocre, Pillars 2 was (imo) bad
- Tyranny was ok/decent (If you got into it and accepted the underdeveloped parts)
- Feargus & Chris Parker ARE scummy/questionable. In some ways the Microsoft merger actually helps there since they now have to report to someone and can be skipped.
- Sawyer needs someone beside him and/or is only really good when he can focus on his strengths. Him heading Pillars was the wrong decision.

So maybe we're closer than you think.

:messenger_heart:

I do have high hopes in Outer Worlds, Leonard and Tim are experienced directors and have managed to break through with a strong vision multiple times already. The Lead Designer is Charles Staples who is with the company since 2007 and was a Lead on New Vegas and (as already mentioned) the writers get much stronger direction on this with Leonard in charge than ever on Pillars.

I'm not even too worried about bugs, to be honest. Release gameplay footage so far has been mostly bug free (Apart from your smally typical stuff like some clipping issues,)

Of course we'll know tomorrow anyway, reviews are thankfully out before release.
Don't worry about those 2. I am sure they are getting a big payout very soon and both will leave the company.

And don't get me wrong. I'm looking forward to The Outer Worlds. I backed every crowdfunding they did. But I realised that Obsidian is full of shit many more ways than one. And Sawyer is such a bitch when it comes to games. The moment there was an awesome build in PoE1 and PoE2 he fucking made sure it gets nerfed to shit.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo

Alpha Protocol

well lucky for you as a consumer you can choose not to buy the products.

nowhat

It's not just a New Vegas thing. It's an Obsidian thing
Sure, but in Obsidian's defense when it comes to New Vegas, they were given a very short time to develop the game, and then there's Bethesda's frankenstein of an engine they had to use (while I'm sure it sped up some things with development, it wasn't a good or stable engine even then).

Given those constraints, I'm surprised how great the game turned out to be. But granted, it was very broken at launch, not denying that.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Stupid question but this IS cross save with game pass pc right? Because I’m likely going to be splitting my time between pc and Xbox with it.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Don't worry, the game's going to be buggy and a technical pos on all platforms. It's Obsidian after all.
Not sure why people keep saying this. Have you not seen the previews? This game looks to run quite well and no bugs in sight. Obsidian may have had buggy games in the past, but I don't think that applies here. The game looks and runs famously.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Tell me more about this massive cpu boost over base????? because it really does not exist, but I'd like to hear your tech breakdown on the huge gulf in the cpu uptake over base..... Should make for very interesting and enlightening reading If I'm honest.....Maybe there is a hidden 8 core jaguar chiplet that we missed...... Please clarify.
Only you would argue legitimate facts as the gulf in power from X and Base PS4 - even PS4 Pro - are pretty much universal at this point.

But..... you do you cuzz...

thelastword

Banned

PRO has lived up to my expectations of it, the only issue I can raise is that I wish more devs used CB...…..It was never pitched as a 4K machine but a machine to get a 4k picture via CB on more taxing titles...….It came 1 year before XBONEX and it has given us many titles with enhancements over base PS4........The crux of the argument is that no 1080p game on PS4 should be 1080p on PRO, it's even worse when it's 1080p on XBONES........The truth is, Neither PRO or XBONEX are 4k machines, at least PRO was never marketed as one, so I think people knew what to expect on PRO way back in 2016......It was a console that delivered enhanced rez for persons with 4k TV's, whilst not performing worse...So "at minimum" at least on par with base PS4 in framerate or even better........That's what I got it for, that's how it was marketed and to me, it has delivered.

At least now that a higher resolution has been specified by the devs for PRO, it's consistent with what we expect of better hardware, at least some type of rez or framerate upgrade than not (unlike Yooka Laylee, which I will not support until it's patched)...….I'd prefer 4k CB for Outer Worlds, but it seems we're seeing less of that from third parties now, they simply go the easy route at the tail end.....I guess we will see how it all comes together with the tech analyses later on......

phil_t98

#SonyToo
PRO has lived up to my expectations of it, the only issue I can raise is that I wish more devs used CB...…..It was never pitched as a 4K machine but a machine to get a 4k picture via CB on more taxing titles...….It came 1 year before XBONEX and it has given us many titles with enhancements over base PS4........The crux of the argument is that no 1080p game on PS4 should be 1080p on PRO, it's even worse when it's 1080p on XBONES........The truth is, Neither PRO or XBONEX are 4k machines, at least PRO was never marketed as one, so I think people knew what to expect on PRO way back in 2016......It was a console that delivered enhanced rez for persons with 4k TV's, whilst not performing worse...So "at minimum" at least on par with base PS4 in framerate or even better........That's what I got it for, that's how it was marketed and to me, it has delivered.

At least now that a higher resolution has been specified by the devs for PRO, it's consistent with what we expect of better hardware, at least some type of rez or framerate upgrade than not (unlike Yooka Laylee, which I will not support until it's patched)...….I'd prefer 4k CB for Outer Worlds, but it seems we're seeing less of that from third parties now, they simply go the easy route at the tail end.....I guess we will see how it all comes together with the tech analyses later on......

the official Playstation webpage advertises it as 4k gaming? you can go now and see it. Now we are all proper geeks on the respect and know it isn't a true 4k console but they are advertising it as such and people buying it would think it was a 4k console.

I agree that the pro should be getting a bump over the standard PS4 but its all down to cost versus results. hopefully they do more patches for future games and do so more on the X to

Haha what are you on about. From the beginning until now it Has been pitched as a 4k console. The website even says "4k-tv gaming". The friggin box it came in has a 4k symbol.

thelastword

Banned
Haha what are you on about. From the beginning until now it Has been pitched as a 4k console. The website even says "4k-tv gaming". The friggin box it came in has a 4k symbol.

Mark Cerny quote below:

"Incidentally, he mentioned that his personal estimate is that rendering at native 4K across the board would require a minimum of 8 teraFLOPS of computing power, and thats not something that can be achieved at a reasonable price this year. That said, users will be able to discern the difference between games on PS4 and the improved versions on PS4 pro at a glance."

This is the man leading the design and engineering on PRO, he said it was not 4k, where are we getting it was a 4K native juggler?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Mark Cerny quote below:

"Incidentally, he mentioned that his personal estimate is that rendering at native 4K across the board would require a minimum of 8 teraFLOPS of computing power, and thats not something that can be achieved at a reasonable price this year. That said, users will be able to discern the difference between games on PS4 and the improved versions on PS4 pro at a glance."

This is the man leading the design and engineering on PRO, he said it was not 4k, where are we getting it was a 4K native juggler?
But it is advertised as 4K on the website and tv. As I said we are geeks were as average person doesn’t know

would the average person google and read what Mark said?

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Dear GOD. 4K is on the PS4 Pro box and 4K logo is embedded into SOC on the One X, They were both marketed as 4K consoles, only the One X actually does a far better job of hitting 4K
A 750ti can play 4K games, just as my PS4 PRO…...I've played many 4K games on it......Does it mean the 750ti and PRO are 4K pieces of kit? no, not close...….Yet they do play quite a few games at 4K, even moreso the PRO over the 750ti......….So marketing can say it plays games at 4K, but yet it's not a 4K native machine....

That will be PS5, for most games at (4k)...….PS4 is a 1080p machine because most games on it are 1080p....Nobody is fooling anybody here, you don't have to be on forums to understand that......I do disagree with how Sony/Guerilla handled ShadowFall's MP rez though.....I'd agree that it was a bit shady there, but not here.......

phil_t98

#SonyToo
A 750ti can play 4K games, just as my PS4 PRO…...I've played many 4K games on it......Does it mean the 750ti and PRO are 4K pieces of kit? no, not close...….Yet they do play quite a few games at 4K, even moreso the PRO over the 750ti......….So marketing can say it plays games at 4K, but yet it's not a 4K native machine....

That will be PS5, for most games at (4k)...….PS4 is a 1080p machine because most games on it are 1080p....Nobody is fooling anybody here, you don't have to be on forums to understand that......I do disagree with how Sony/Guerilla handled ShadowFall's MP rez though.....I'd agree that it was a bit shady there, but not here.......

you just said the Pro was never marketed as a 4k and now disproved you say about a 750ti , just accept you were wrong on this occasion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom