• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outer Worlds Writing

tsumake

The big draw of an Obsidian game is the quality of the writing. I’ve just started playing The Outer Worlds and am not impressed with the writing. It feels bland and not really committed to its humor. I just got to the first town so it’s early for me, but does the writing and characterizations get better?

Revas

I think it gets better in spots, some characters and quests are better than others. As a whole I think the beginning was strongest part of the game.

whitesugar

Banned
no. the first two characters you recruit are the best written, and then they get worse. as for the humour, it isn't my thing in general i don't think, didn't last once. it's like Borderlands level humour

Pagusas

Elden Member
The Outer Worlds is a weird game, its like the dev put all its effort into the first 4 hours of the game then said "eh, few people will see past this part anyway, so lets phone in the rest". Made me very sad.

Bragr

Banned
It's all over the place, some good stuff but it's too ambitious and tears itself at the seams. But it's not really the writing that hurts that game the most.

Lanrutcon

It really, really doesn't.

The companion quests are weak as shit, and every settlement is basically "the corps fucked the people now clean up".

I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't even let it lick FO:NV's boots.

wipeout364

I just finished it. Peril on Gorgon is the best written part of the game and the most impressive quest line, buy it and play it before you go to the final planet as you can’t go back afterwords.

The game as others have said is a disappointment in a lot of ways. Combat and gear are bland and the companions are just ok. The game is weird it has this massive premise of traveling the galaxy but everything feels really small and undercooked. I think Perils of Gorgon gives a better sense of scale to the game personally. Three or four planets the size of Monarch and Gorgon would have served the game better than all these small hubs you load into.

Protip: if you have an SSD install it on there, the game has a ridiculous amount of long and multiple load times.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
That early companion quest were you have to help your lesbian teammate with it's date was the most boring piece of shit I've experience in a game. Come on, I was playing to role play and to shoot things, not to do that kind of cupid shit.

The beginning has by far the best writing and story in the game, so if you're not impressed yet, you won't be as you go on.

GreyHorace

Is there any point to playing games developed Obsidian besides their writing? Their games have never been strong in terms of design or gameplay. It's was always their stellar writing that made them stand out in the rpg market.

But with their top talent gone (particularly Chris Avellone, who's been canceled), what's the point in playing an Obsidian game if their writing isn't as good anymore?

kyussman

I played it just before Xmas and honestly had a great time with it....but I can see why people would feel it had it's issues overall.I just really enjoyed being able to talk my way through the game after Fallout 4,where the speech system was shit and I had to just shoot my way through every quest.

Arachnid

The big draw of an Obsidian game is the quality of the writing. I’ve just started playing The Outer Worlds and am not impressed with the writing. It feels bland and not really committed to its humor. I just got to the first town so it’s early for me, but does the writing and characterizations get better?
Yeah it's the first time Obsidian has ever let me down. IDK what they were doing differently from New Vegas and Pillars, but the writing sucked this time around. The entire game was a let down actually.

Loostreaks

If they wanted "not too serious", really wish they made something like "Red Dwarf the Rpg": just make it a crazy adventure of the most nonsensical scenarios in space.
Is there any point to playing games developed Obsidian besides their writing? Their games have never been strong in terms of design or gameplay. It's was always their stellar writing that made them stand out in the rpg market.

But with their top talent gone (particularly Chris Avellone, who's been canceled), what's the point in playing an Obsidian game if their writing isn't as good anymore?
Tyranny has it's moments, when the writing and characters are genuinely good. And they're still the most "classic rpg oriented" western dev. Tbh, I think Sawyer is a better writer than some of their recent acquisitions. ( like Pattel)

iorek21

It is about what I'd expect from a AA game, so it's okay for me.

Enjoyed my time with it, but it made me more thirsty for a new Mass Effect than anything.

Raekwon26

Just reading the comments here.....

Did no one enjoy this game?
I remember when this game came out and there was a lot of praise.

What happened?

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member

What happened?
The game was widely panned at release and it still blows

Wouldn't know. I killed everyone on sight, which takes a lot longer than you'd think, hunting in every nook and cranny to ensure nobody escaped my wrath.

BabyYoda

Banned
S
The Outer Worlds is mediocre from start to finish unfortunately and its lack of staying power proves that.
So glad I played it for free on GamePass (till I got bored, which didn't take too long), there was so much buzz when it came out, I was expecting a true classic, I don't really think it had a single quality I liked about it tbh. If I had to give a positive, I guess I could say I liked that it was in the sci-fi genre I suppose...

Last edited:

bxrz

It really, really doesn't.

The companion quests are weak as shit, and every settlement is basically "the corps fucked the people now clean up".

I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't even let it lick FO:NV's boots.
Its not a AAA game like FO:NV

And thats the problem. You went into TOW thinking it was another New Vegas

bxrz

What happened?
I liked it. Its a AA Fallout-like sci-fi game.

A lot of people follow narratives. TOW2 should be a lot better with a bigger budget

Last edited:

DarkestHour

Banned
I enjoyed it for being an Epic exclusive at first. That told me everything of what to expect. The beginning is certainly the best part and then the game gets a little boring near the end. I have zero desire to play through it again like I would a Fallout game because the exploration is next to none due to the areas being zones.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
I think if you approach it within the frame of Borderlands crossed with Fallout then it can be a fun time, but honestly aside from Pavarti and the Ship I can't say I cared for the rest of the cast all that much. I guess the only thing I will say in the game's defense, is that having noodled around with it some with a couple of different playthroughs it became clear that certain quests could be resolved differently based upon which companions you had with you at the time, which I thought was a nice touch.

Game was definitely a disappointment for me. Gameplay and loot were dull. And the whole corporations thing got old pretty quickly. It was just the same joke over and over again. Definitely hope they won't bother with a sequel, but it seems like it was pretty successful so they probably will.

harmny

Banned
i liked it and i liked the lore. but yes the game borrowed heavily from bethesda games but with smaller self contained areas. i thought the gameplay (compared to bethesda games) was good but it's clear that it had a low budget so i judge it for what it is. i would never compare the game to other AAA games. still since leonard and tim were the creators of fallout i guess i expected the game to resemble more fallout 1 than 3 and i don't mean the isometric perspective.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
It's not Josh Sawyer or long gone Chris Avellone so it's not premium quality but I still really enjoyed it for what it was. It's mostly newer hires I think? I'll play it again when I buy all the DLC.

Black pink haired chick looks like a premium woke character but and while her narrative wasn't fresh she was powerful and is a decent character. Really didn't care for the other male companion who wasn't a vicar, he just seemed boring as fuck.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Really don't get why this got the amount of attention it did. I guess it was appealing to the Woke Twitter crowd, but it certainly wasn't a very good game or even an interesting story.

Top Bottom