• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outrun Online Arcade (XBLA/PSN) Official Thread

GrayFoxPL said:
It's like I say:"Guys, MS bought US region exclusivity for Outrun."
And people go: "Hey guys, he says MS buying exclusivity for all arcade titles and that's why those aren't on psn. Let's stone the fucker and throw the body to a volcano!"

The fuck? And I repeat: The fuck? :\

Because anyone with common sense says the entire notion MS would money-hat to get OutRun of all games is laughably ridiculous. If you are going to make a claim which directly contradicts logic and reason you should be able to back it up with some actual evidence. So far I have seen nothing.

I apologize for crapping up this thread but I can't help it. :( Outrun's great everyone should buy it!

GrayFoxPL said:
Yeah, who knows and wants Outrun, right? Only some gamers or something?
Do you remember the NPD numbers for Outrun 2? They were pretty damn sad. Nobody wanted Outrun. Not much has changed in the last 5 years. It is not a big name franchise. No company is currently crazy enough to buy exclusivity for fucking Outrun, and if they're going to buy it they're going to do it worldwide. Hell, I'd bet the series is more popular in Europe than it is here. They used to love Sega over there, right?!

Now this is a reason to laugh. You must not own the said game. GTI club looks nothing like a current gen game even remade. More, it looks worse then Outrun that is already a last gen game.
I played the demo. How about "on par with other current gen downloadable titles". That make you happy? Outrun does look better but I'd say it's due to the far superior art design. It's always going to look good.

The difference between GTI Club and Outrun is that GTI isn't a game with last-gen port-stink on it. I never said SCEA's rejections made any sense. There are plenty of threads on here devoted to their past blunders. Maybe you should do a search and read up.

It's great that you put words in my mouth. Thanks. Where did I say MS moneyhated the snk or any other titles that appered on xbla versus psn(apart of Outrun thing)? I was pointing it out for you that example of Garou has nothing to do with this situation. It's not surprising for me that it's not coming ot on psn, never was, as MS already has history with SNK neo geo xbla ports.
Look, I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. I brought them up because I believe it proves there's a pattern of SCEA rejecting ports.

And SNK has a relationship with Sony. Tons of SNK PSX games on J-PSN. Why not on US PSN? I wonder! It's not because of a special relationship with Microsoft. There are no old SNK games of any kind on PSN because SCEA probably doesn't want them. SNK is not port-shy. And hey! That reminds me. You know what's another game that was rejected by SCEA for US retail release? Metal Slug 3. I had to import that one. And you know what console eventually got the localization? Xbox. Let me go into full blown message board douche mode by busting out the italics: Sony does not like previous-gen ports on their brand new hardware.

So do you call psn lumines, cuboid and astro tripper a fresh and original content that displays PS3's strenghts? An psp port and two old pc games.
I don't believe PSN Lumines is a straight port? It's mostly new art and music, isn't it? The PC version of Astro Tripper isn't even out yet. Cuboid doesn't even have a wiki entry and I'm not gonna sit around reading reviews but googling "Cuboid PC game" gave me links to game news site announcing the PS3 release. So...you still sure about all this?

Why would Microsoft get an exclusive for the region they're doing the best in?
If they really wanted a region-exclusive they'd go after Japan or even Europe.

I mean jeeze if MS gave that much of a damn about that they would have locked up exclusivity way back when Outrun 2 vanilla came out for the Xbox only. They didn't care and neither did the gamers because I bought it new for $20 from Walmart a month after it came out.

Blame Sega, SCEA, or yourself, but MS has nothing to do with this one.

GrayFoxPL

Rummy Bunnz said:
I apologize for crapping up this thread but I can't help it. :( Outrun's great everyone should buy it!

Do you remember the NPD numbers for Outrun 2? They were pretty damn sad. Nobody wanted Outrun. Not much has changed in the last 5 years. It is not a big name franchise. No company is currently crazy enough to buy exclusivity for fucking Outrun, and if they're going to buy it they're going to do it worldwide. Hell, I'd bet the series is more popular in Europe than it is here. They used to love Sega over there, right?!

I played the demo. How about "on par with other current gen downloadable titles". That make you happy? Outrun does look better but I'd say it's due to the far superior art design. It's always going to look good.

The difference between GTI Club and Outrun is that GTI isn't a game with last-gen port-stink on it. I never said SCEA's rejections made any sense. There are plenty of threads on here devoted to their past blunders. Maybe you should do a search and read up.

Look, I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. I brought them up because I believe it proves there's a pattern of SCEA rejecting ports.

And SNK has a relationship with Sony. Tons of SNK PSX games on J-PSN. Why not on US PSN? I wonder! It's not because of a special relationship with Microsoft. There are no old SNK games of any kind on PSN because SCEA probably doesn't want them. SNK is not port-shy. And hey! That reminds me. You know what's another game that was rejected by SCEA for US retail release? Metal Slug 3. I had to import that one. And you know what console eventually got the localization? Xbox. Let me go into full blown message board douche mode by busting out the italics: Sony does not like previous-gen ports on their brand new hardware.

I don't believe PSN Lumines is a straight port? It's mostly new art and music, isn't it? The PC version of Astro Tripper isn't even out yet. Cuboid doesn't even have a wiki entry and I'm not gonna sit around reading reviews but googling "Cuboid PC game" gave me links to game news site announcing the PS3 release. So...you still sure about all this?

1. I never got impression that Outrun is unpopular in the US. If it is, then my bad. By popularity I didn't only mean sales of last gen game but the original O1, Outrunners and Outrun 2 arcades. It is hugely popular franchise in Europe and hearing that it boarders on unknown in US is really mindblowing for me.

2. It isn't? But it's even older game(basically 2 generations back) with new coat of paint. The gameplay and how the engine handles everything wasn't changed a thing. Kinda smells last, last gen. I don't know how this one sells but I'll be surpried if numbers are higher then embarassing. Scea is crazy, ok I'm willing to believe you.

3. But you did. The subject of my post was only this one Outrun 2 region exclusivity matter as this is an outrun thread. But you implied that I say that MS steals exclusivity on all downloable games. It's enough for happy campers to jump in on the word. I don't even respond to their posts, as it's nosense now.
You could just respond: "What? Fuck no." and it would probably :)D) end with this.

Ah, you know why? Because it's a matter of game and publishing rights. It was really easy for the games to be put up on jp psn as it was SNK themselves that published all of their jp ps1 games originaly. In USA and EU it's a different thing because the rights for single games are spread across different companies. Not to mention, most of the titles never got western release. And it's true for snk and all japanase ps1 games, that's one of the reasons there's so few games on eu and us psn versus japan. Imagine yourself in the shoes of someone who has to hunt down all the right owners, check if they still exist and if they don't then who did they sell the rights to. Of course there is the general unwillingness to bother also.
Aside of that, with publishing rights it is really a matter of ripping an iso from cd and put it on the server, theres no development process required. It is really not the same type of deal and situation like with xbla neogeo arcade ports. Which, I repeat, I don't think are secured by Ms!

5.Does new background and music (I think it's a complilations of previous content, not sure) a new game make? Hmm. Astro Tripper is basically a re-release of 2001 Space Tripper. It doesn't even qualifiy as a remake. Same gfx, levels, bosses, everything. When it came out a poster even said that it's even a pretty weak port of the original. I then went on google hunt to find the screens of the old version and was dissapointed to see that he was right, it looked the same. Cuboid was a free game, I know, I played it and remember then thinking that it's great and hoping someone will pick this up. You can't find it, because most likely it's long gone from the net and I think it had a different name back then. Believe me, I played it, when I saw the psn version I noticed right away the same levels I played many times. Ofcourse psn version has funky backgrounds, sprinkles and shinynes, and more levels. But it's not a new, original game.
Those are all great games, but yeah, they aren't really new. Let's just say Sony's has it's own way with choosing what older games they want on the platform but they surley don't back away from it.

I don't have much to add. Thanks for the constructive and dynamic discussion. :D It's great we didn't resolve to calling names or anything like that. :lol

I'm sorry for derailing the thread too!

On topic!

15 course continous it's harder then I thought. My vision starts to blur after 8 tracks or so.
My poor eyeballs!

GrayFoxPL said:
Ah, you know why? Because it's a matter of game and publishing rights. It was really easy for the games to be put up on jp psn as it was SNK themselves that published all of their jp ps1 games originaly. In USA and EU it's a different thing because the rights for single games are spread across different companies. Not to mention, most of the titles never got western release.
Yeah, I've heard this before. I'm not sure I buy it any more. SCEA doesn't even put up their own games on PSN. Allegedly Capcom's titles have been ready for some time but there have been no new releases since December. I don't doubt that there are some roadblocks but I imagine if SCEA believed they were worth clearing they'd be cleared. They just don't care.

Re: The PC port thing - Sony's very big on supporting small developers right now, which is to be admired I guess. They obviously consider the PC a non-competing platform, and they're right in a way. Lookit how many of these games go unnoticed on PC but get...well, not much more attention on PS3. A whole lot of games come out without a peep. It was a month before I saw a thread dedicated to Astro Tripper, and I think it only had 7 posts. Pushed me to buy it though! Pretty sure it would be a whole different situation with mandatory demos but I'm getting even more off-topic than I already am...

Anyway, SCEA's track record shows they're really big on projecting a certain image, and supporting small devs - even if they're just porting obscure PC games - projects a positive, kinda hip image. I guess. I only blather on about this stuff cuz I want more old games on PSN, and so do lots of other folks judging by the weekly release thread. Let's just pretend this whole conversation never happened and get back to Outrunning.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
GrayFoxPL said:
15 course continous it's harder then I thought. My vision starts to blur after 8 tracks or so.
My poor eyeballs!

Getting the 2.5 million is easy, just finishing in time is the hard bit.

I still haven't experienced that glitch but I have seen plenty of folks stall out on the starting line. I dunno if that's a glitch or it happens when they disconnect before the race starts.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Fuck Heart Attack!

I always have problems with these types of modes. It is, on paper, an absolute piece of piss. However, I end up getting too excited/nervous/anxious as the race progresses and always manage to make the dumbest of dumb mistakes on challenges I have done a million times before.

It's going to be like the 1 mil achievement, where I just stopped caring and got it straight away. :lol

Goldrusher

Don't hit the barriers, slow down in the tunnel and don't drift right after the tunnel.
Feel free to brush trucks, but don't hit them. Then you crash and you can forget it.
cjelly said:
Fuck Heart Attack!

I always have problems with these types of modes. It is, on paper, an absolute piece of piss. However, I end up getting too excited/nervous/anxious as the race progresses and always manage to make the dumbest of dumb mistakes on challenges I have done a million times before.
What route are you taking ? Left, right, right, right is by far the easiest.

video

rex64 said:
pass the convoy on ice world is like impossible. :(
Don't drive flat out, you can touch and rub a few of them but just aim to get past them before the end of the run. Sometimes it's faster to slow down a bit.

bryehn

Goldrusher said:
Don't hit the barriers, slow down in the tunnel and don't drift right after the tunnel.
Feel free to brush trucks, but don't hit them. Then you crash and you can forget it.
What route are you taking ? Left, right, right, right is by far the easiest.

video

That is one well-done youtube walkthrough video.

Almyn

Yay! Finally got AAA in all stages in heart attack, I must have had at least 50 attempts.
I ended up finishing it in Milky way, With the convoy in the ice stage proving to be the only sticking point in the end.

Got the frequent flyer achievement last night. I can't believe I still don't have the 660 horses one. Where is the best place to do that? In an online race? I've just been playing SP....

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Got the frequent flyer achievement last night. I can't believe I still don't have the 660 horses one. Where is the best place to do that? In an online race? I've just been playing SP....
I unlocked frequent flyer too but this morning :p

For 660 horses (the 300kph one?) I unlocked it in time attack, used a tuned car and just went flat out over the bridge (first left) and unlocked it just before the corner.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Princess Skittles said:
The problem there is that either path after Casio on Special Request 3 is a pain in the butt.

Naaaaaaaaaah, Legend is just some gates, some hearts, some cones. Piece of piss.

Yaaaaaaay. Just beat "Challenge SEGA" in a race and got a message afterward about how to get a free Outrun t-shirt.

Below is the blog post where they announced they'd be doing this contest. Thankfully "Challenge SEGA" accepted my friend invite the other day, so I was able to see when they logged in and also when they joined multiplayer. Then I refreshed the game list like crazy :p

http://blogs.sega.com/europe/2009/04/15/revealing-the-challenge-challenge-sega/#more-587

Additional info: It was an Outrun mode race with collision and catch-up on. I got passed halfway through then caught back up :) Only 4 racers too which was a plus

Yes yes yes yes yes!! Fuck Yeah!

I jumped around when I finally nailed the Gumball Achievement just a while ago. Oh man, I thought I didn't since I crashed at the Milky Way stage and I was doin real good with my time.

I stood up befor the finsih hoping I was goin to make and jumped for joy when I did. I'm so happy. I only need to finish off a few rounds of Outrun for the Frequent Flyer achievement and then I have finished the game with a 200 points gamerscore.

That Gumball achievement was a thorn in my eye this past week. I was making alot of stupid errors in the last 5 stages with manual transmission that cost alot of time.

So I decided it must be done in Autotransmission otherwise I would be stuck forever.

Fuck Yeah!!

After playing online with a few friends, I decided to play some offline races to go towards the Frequent Flyer achievement befor I went to bed last night.

Played 2 Timetrails in which I got a record time and the achievement. Nice.
Now I have 200 Gamerpoints for the game. I can sit back and relax, enjoy the game and watch as my friends struggle to get the Timetrail achievements.:D

I have faith in them.

BitchTits

I played my first game online today, and I wasn't too impressed.

It took forever to find a game, and then for it to start, and all through the game, whenever I was very close to another car, slipstreaming or a really long corner, there would be skips and jumps where I didn't know what was happening. One game took 14 minutes, that's kind of a long time, I was pretty bored halfway through, I wanted a shorter online race, I realised why I had to wait so long before the race started then. I had the PS2 version and played the arcade, so I'm not new to the game itself, just the XBL experience left me unimpressed.

Odrion

Banned
Bought the game yesterday, one of my favorite XBLA games so far.

I'm using custom music though, every song feels epic as you're cruising at 300 cutting through traffic, I gotta get those achievements!

Odrion said:
I'm using custom music though,

avn23t.png

just got the cardiogram trophy. now im missing the five online wins in a row and im done with that small bit. the only problem is, how to keep a room open without getting dropped....

got my last trophy "Legend".

now its time to squeeze my best times on every track! this game will last me a while. good job sega & sumo.

Oreoleo

Ahhhh, just got the 4:30 Time Attack achievement. Went right, left, right, right and ended up getting 4:26.1. Most rewarding achievement I've gotten since Smile on Geometry Wars 2 :D

GG Sega

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Just got the Cardiogram achievement. Now all I need is the "win five straight races online in one setting" achievement and I can call it done, and wait for the remaining OutRun 2006 material to show up via DLC.

Having read this thread a while back was my first encounter with this game on the consoles- having played and enjoyed it in it's arcarde rendition I thought this was a no brainer: I had to have it!

A few stressful months later I finally get some gaming time for my self, buy the game and have a awesome time! It isn't as cool as the arcades but I'm having a blast ;)

Augemitbutter said:
got my last trophy "Legend".

now its time to squeeze my best times on every track! this game will last me a while. good job sega & sumo.

I've been playing for two days, and have already begun chasing the throphies - I just completed 4 consecutive wins, and lost the last one on a fatal crash on the last leg X( Half an hour wasted :(

JEKKI

I still play this game every now and then coz it's AWESOME!!

but I still cant get the 15-course achievements :(

I'm bumping this so that all Outrun whores are made aware that they must pick up SEGA Superstar's Racing. Honestly, its as close to a spiritual successor as we're ever going to get, the drifting mechanics are very reminiscent of Outrun 2 and the game is simply grounded in a lot of that game's sensibilities. You have an incredible amount of control over your drift and there's massive potential for linking boosts, it definitely has the DNA of a proper SEGA racer.

Oh, and mission mode is basically heart attack mode as well, which is nice. I know the whole Sonic and weapons angle may have turned a few of you off but don't be. Weapons are very underplayed (they have a similar importance to the weapons in the original SMK for instance) and most require a certain amount of skill to use properly. The game is also SEGA as fuck and full to the brim with classic SEGA blue skies which I know will be appreciated by most Outrun fans.

Also, why does no one play Outrun on Live anymore? :(

ram

brain_stew said:
I'm bumping this so that all Outrun whores are made aware that they must pick up SEGA Superstar's Racing.

sure, if you love 30fps with slowdowns and a dumbed down drifting mechanic.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
ram said:
sure, if you love 30fps with slowdowns, a dumbed down drifting mechanic, being restricted to a behind the car view, lack of online play for the PC version, and no force feedback support.

FIXED :D

Top Bottom