• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Pain, aka Metal Gear Solid V, Announced (360/PS3, "Moby Dick Studio")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyborg

So David Hayter asked people on Twitter how they would feel if he didn't voice Snake in the next Metal Gear

please no

Well we all know that Kojima wants to make a game about The Boss......It may be shocking but thats a
woman

So David Hayter asked people on Twitter how they would feel if he didn't voice Snake in the next Metal Gear

please no

They should just get egoraptor to voice Snake then, hurrhurr.

Seriously though, Snake not voiced by David Hayter is no Snake. The game wouldn't really be Metal Gear.
Still, there are many people who do very good impersonations of Hayter's Snake voice.

GZ is set too soon after Peace Walker to have Richard Doyle take over from Hayter as Big Boss, but then it has to happen at some point and it's inevitably going to be awkward. I could go either way.

dukeoflegs

It would be easy to write why a Big Boss's voice changed. Some thing happened to his vocal cords or voice box from a chemical weapon during the opening mission of Ground Zeroes or maybe he was in a coma which altered his voice...

BigBoss

It would be so ballsy if Richard Doyle takes over. Is the Japanese voice actor the same or is it someone else i.e. MGS4 Big Boss?

Akio Otsuka voices Solid Snake in the Japanese version and his dad voices old Big Boss, how awesome is that? Nothing against Hayter but I want Richard Doyle to voice Big Boss in Ground Zeroes, its time.

Akio Otsuka voices Solid Snake in the Japanese version and his dad voices old Big Boss, how awesome is that? Nothing against Hayter but I want Richard Doyle to voice Big Boss in Ground Zeroes, its time.
Having finished MGS4 again a few days ago (Pigeon run, ugh), Doyle was pretty awesome in it. Despite all the 0, 1, 100 bullshit.
So yeah, I'd say it's time Doyle came in as Big Boss.

I haven't followed things too closely but what's the consensus on:
- phantom pain and ground zeroes being the same game?
- the missing limbs in phantom pain not matching anything we know about BB?

please no

Could this mean he's voicing Richard Nixon? Third letter of his surname is Y, and the third letter of Nixon's is X... Too much of a coincidence for me, expect the next game to release on Nintendo systems alongside Pokemon XY

That is very awesome, actually!

Whose voice is in Ground Zeroes trailer? That should give an idea of who to expect as a primary in English version (unless Hayter is tired of being Snake).

That is very awesome, actually!

Whose voice is in Ground Zeroes trailer? That should give an idea of who to expect as a primary in English version (unless Hayter is tired of being Snake).

Usual guy I think. If they did a voice change with Hayter it might fit in after the coma thing, the Ground Zeroes trailer being set before that.

On another note, Watergate scandal is mentioned in MGS1, when the ninja first contacts Snake as 'Deepthroat'. Maybe Grey Fox is in the game, perhaps he's even the Watergate informant in MGS' universe, lol.

Elixist

It would be easy to write why a Big Boss's voice changed. Some thing happened to his vocal cords or voice box from a chemical weapon during the opening mission of Ground Zeroes or maybe he was in a coma which altered his voice...

just wanted to say great avatar dude. "as i searched the world... looking for beer" lmao

Berek76

Peace Walker takes place in 1974, so, unless GZ is directly following PW in the same year, how could Nixon be thrown inside the story? Didn't he resign at the end of 1974? Wasn't the Chico we saw in the GZ trailer older than himself in PW?

I'm confused.

Peace Walker takes place in 1974, so, unless GZ is directly following PW in the same year, how could Nixon be thrown inside the story? Didn't he resign at the end of 1974? Wasn't the Chico we saw in the GZ trailer older than himself in PW?

I'm confused.

Chronomachines.
Peace Walker starts in November 1974, Ford was already president by then, not to mention he'd pardoned him already.

So is the theory Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes are the same game? Is there any chance there are two different games?

It looks likely the same game as they are set in a similar time-frame, with possibly a number of years between the two scenarios, but the mystery of the Phantom Pain has lead some to lose their minds already. Why pretend that it's as a different game with a different developer? I don't think anyone's got to the bottom of that yet.

I used to think they were two games but I don't think either trailer is really representative of the full game. I feel it will start at Ground Zeroes which works as a Peace Walker epilogue and preview of the new gameplay tweaks, then for some reason wakes from a coma on the other side of the world with an unconventional gameplay segment, and then following that and some arm surgery the game finally moves into the one that's been described with a new base and hopping between missions.
I believe Snake's helicopter we saw in GZ was only there for the demo and won't be accessible in the first mission of the game, as leaving the intro mission mid way seems a bit off. It might be significant that it has an 80's helicopter cockpit design (Havok) melded onto the body of the good old Hind.

StuBurns

Banned
I used to think Phantom Pain was the full game, and GZ was the 'tanker' for lack of a better term, now I think the opposite. They're called Moby Dick studios, and there's a whale in the trailer, the whale is Moby Dick, the thing that took Big Boss's arm. Presumably it's just a fever dream metaphor for something that's happened to Big Boss, maybe it's someone taking Metal Gear, and now he has to hunt it. Could be anything really, but given the abstract aspects of PP, I think it's the smaller part of the game, because it's not literally happening.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

Nanomachines
son

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So is the theory Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes are the same game? Is there any chance there are two different games?

My theory has always been a Tanker/Big Shell scenario.

It's not the first time Kojima has done it. Back when MGS2 was still being worked on, and the game was only being shown internally, Tanker was MGS2, and Big Shell was in fact called MGS3. It was insanity in my opinion, but genius at the same time.

If you've never seen the trailer that shows Big Shell as MGS3, check out Document of Metal Gear Solid 2 for PS2.

I had a dream last night that I gave David Hayter a call when he was in the hospital for some surgery or another. I told him to "get well soon." But it was either his weakened voice or the phone signal but I could barely hear him. Then all of a sudden it was Metal Gear Rising in first-person and I was running away from those big Metal Gear gecko things.

Salaadin

My theory has always been a Tanker/Big Shell scenario.

It's not the first time Kojima has done it. Back when MGS2 was still being worked on, and the game was only being shown internally, Tanker was MGS2, and Big Shell was in fact called MGS3. It was insanity in my opinion, but genius at the same time.

If you've never seen the trailer that shows Big Shell as MGS3, check out Document of Metal Gear Solid 2 for PS2.

This makes the most sense to me. Itd be hard as hell to pull off another Raidenesque switcharoo so instead, they do two trailers for two games under 2 studios and pretend like they arent related.

I had a dream last night that I gave David Hayter a call when he was in the hospital for some surgery or another. I told him to "get well soon." But it was either his weakened voice or the phone signal but I could barely hear him. Then all of a sudden it was Metal Gear Rising in first-person and I was running away from those big Metal Gear gecko things.

Psycho Mantis is playing with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom