• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The photo that told me Nintendo hit a home run with Switch

correojon

I don't understand the self congratulatory love letter topics popping up about owning a Switch. Just enjoy the system instead of giving into insecurity about owning one.
People are loving their new system and are glad that it's doing well. If the system does well that means more support for the platform and a brighter future for it. Also, Nintendo needed a big win like this, many people love the company and are happy to see it do well.

I don't understand the self congratulatory love letter topics popping up about owning a Switch. Just enjoy the system instead of giving into insecurity about owning one.

After five baffling years of it with the Vita, something had to keep those going. I love the Switch, so I'm glad we're getting those instead of depressing Wii U threads, but yeah the infatuation is weird.

Brah you don't understand the brutal years of WiiU was for Nintendo fans. So to actually see the Switch being a success so far is a blessing and gives people a reason to believe for better support.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Ofcourse this is a promotional thing. Either from the airline, management or a gift from Nintendo themselves. They certainly did not order their Switches off Amazon or something.

These guys get showered in promotional gifts and goodies wherever they go. Them enjoying it and posting photo's of it online is a big deal for Nintendo, seeing as it's basically free marketing.

watershed

Banned

There's nothing wrong with sharing positive experiences with videogames. Lots of LTTPs are also love letters to games. Its not insecurity to want to share the joy of playing games. Not every thread has to be about complaints or news.

nubbe

The Internet is all about sharing experiences and pissing on others

D.Lo

It is a very odd situation is why.

The Wii and DS were confident, explosively popular products (after a small misstep on the DS at the start) with new ideas that caught people's attention, and absolutely razor sharp marketing and positioning. And as a result were the two most profitable gaming platforms of all time and massively successful. The Wii in particular was a true zeitgeist product.

They were followed by two confusingly marketed, poorly positioned platforms. Too expensive, gimmicks most didn't really want, poorly designed, poorly named, you name it, they had the issues. Nintendo doubled down on 3DS and managed to recover to some respectability, but the Wii U was DOA and nothing ever really revived it.

Now the Switch is a massive return to form. Great name, new ideas that have resonated with the public, great design, razor sharp marketing, and clearly a positioning triumph. And is once again seemingly explosively popular, at least so far.

It's like Nintendo's recent (since the DS) run of scores for market positioning/design/success has been:

9/10
10/10
3/10
1/10
9/10

It's just hard to believe the same company has that record, it's such a bizarre record. As such, things making the Switch look more like the Wii than the Wii U are notable.

I think that poster was referring to the threads that seem like owning a Switch is a life changing experience.

I like my Switch too. Played it in the waiting area while my windshield was being fixed. Very handy! But some of the threads that pop up that are like "Guys I just can't believe how BLESSED we are that Nintendo gave us the Switch!" Are a little odd.

I think that poster was referring to the threads that seem like owning a Switch is a life changing experience.

I like my Switch too. Played it in the waiting area while my windshield was being fixed. Very handy! But some of the threads that pop up that are like "Guys I just can't believe how BLESSED we are that Nintendo gave us the Switch!" Are a little odd.

I mean the Switch is a godsend for local multiplayer.

20cent

Banned
Why not? Most planes offer WiFi on board. You're only supposed to have them in airplane mode during take off and landing.

In some countries / flight companies, they still ask you to turn OFF your devices during landing/take-off and use airplane mode in flight

sneas78

Banned
It's like when Facebook became annoying by people posting " I'm washing my car" " I'm eating" kind of annoying. But man do I love my switch. I just don't see it necessary like you to have someone make a thread about it left and right. However I share their enthusiasm .

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Heh.

Every topic where people seem to have fun and positive about all things would surely, without fail, invite someone like this who is self-masturbatory and claim that everyone in the said topic is acting like plebs whose acts are clearly, clearly beneath them and their impregnable sense of self-superiority.

spekkeh

Banned
It's a majority American forum, you kind of just have to roll with that everything is amazing and fantastic and the best thing ever mentality. You don't need to follow along (in fact sometimes it could use a bit of a sobering down) but being purposefully snarky and down on it just makes you look like an ass.

Qasiel

Do you think a bunch of football players:
a) are into gaming
b) got console that is sold out like everywhere
c) took it with them
d) decided they absolutely have to share this unusual fact on twitter

for free?

Unless it is during takoff/landing it is fine.

I'm not saying I disagree with you but I don't understand this point. A lot of super rich athletes (and even those who aren't "super rich") have access to a lot of stuff that is out of reach. Hell, they could have even dropped £500 on ebay for one and thought nothing of it.

Astral Dog

It is a very odd situation is why.

The Wii and DS were confident, explosively popular products (after a small misstep on the DS at the start) with new ideas that caught people's attention, and absolutely razor sharp marketing and positioning. And as a result were the two most profitable gaming platforms of all time and massively successful. The Wii in particular was a true zeitgeist product.

They were followed by two confusingly marketed, poorly positioned platforms. Too expensive, gimmicks most didn't really want, poorly designed, poorly named, you name it, they had the issues. Nintendo doubled down on 3DS and managed to recover to some respectability, but the Wii U was DOA and nothing ever really revived it.

Now the Switch is a massive return to form. Great name, new ideas that have resonated with the public, great design, razor sharp marketing, and clearly a positioning triumph. And is once again seemingly explosively popular, at least so far.

It's like Nintendo's recent (since the DS) run of scores for market positioning/design/success has been:

9/10
10/10
3/10
1/10
9/10

It's just hard to believe the same company has that record, it's such a bizarre record. As such, things making the Switch look more like the Wii than the Wii U are notable.
3DS was very confident on its reveal dude. It was the following months post launch that dropped it.
Deserves a 5/10 at least for dat reveal alone.

Switch appeals to the smartphone generaton

And now i realize we are never going to have a reveal as beautiful as the 3DS one 😣

atr0cious

3DS was very confident on its reveal dude. It was the following months post launch that dropped it.

And now i realize we are never going to have a reveal as beautiful as the 3DS one 😣
What do you mean by reveal? The 3ds was quietly announced:

March 23, 2010

To Whom It May Concern:
Re: Launch of New Portable Game Machine

Nintendo Co., Ltd. (Minami-ward of Kyoto-city, President Satoru Iwata) will launch "Nintendo 3DS"(temp) during the fiscal year ending March 2011, on which games can be enjoyed with 3D effects without the need for any special glasses.

"Nintendo 3DS"(temp) is going to be the new portable game machine to succeed "Nintendo DS series", whose cumulative consolidated sales from Nintendo amounted to 125million units as of the end of December 2009, and will include backward compatibility so that the software for Nintendo DS series, including the ones for Nintendo DSi, can also be enjoyed.

We are planning to announce additional details at E3 show, which is scheduled to be held from June 15, 2010 at Los Angeles in the U.S.
For all we knew, 3ds was a temporary name. And it had no big games for the longest and forced Nintendo to do the ambassador program.

Oersted

Well I mean sure

If it exists

I spotted an edgelord on the Internet!

You thinking about that models going around thing?

pringles

a) are into gaming
c) took it with them

for free?
None of that is unrealistic. Footballers want things to do in their free time too.

Brah you don't understand the brutal years of WiiU was for Nintendo fans. So to actually see the Switch being a success so far is a blessing and gives people a reason to believe for better support.

I loved my WiiU. It was only frustrating if it was your only console.
There were (and are) some amazing games on it.

You'd know, since these are the same games you are playing on the Switch right now.

DrWong

a) are into gaming
c) took it with them

for free?

Unless it is during takoff/landing it is fine.
a) Iniesta, the guy who tweeted, is a Nintendo fan and it's not the first time he shares something Nintendo related. Neymar is a MK fan.
b) That's not a big deal for super rich people
c) Well it's a fucking hybrid, a console you can take on the go...
d) See a)

But well, paid or not this sharing works the same in the end. It's a detail only important to warriors.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I mean, this is obviously marketing, and good marketing at that. We don't know the details, obviously.

Having said that, I think the Switch will be big with famous people, because of all the time they spend traveling from one place to another, even the 3DS with all it's glaring shortcomings, was big with famous people because of the library, but the Switch is on another level, and this is great marketing for Nintendo.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

i dont understand why people question the existence of this thread

Berordn

I mean, this is obviously marketing, and good marketing at that. We don't know the details, obviously.

Having said that, I think the Switch will be big with famous people, because of all the time they spend traveling from one place to another, even the 3DS with all it's glaring shortcomings, was big with famous people because of the library, but the Switch is on another level, and this is great marketing for Nintendo.

Not even just celebrities, portability is a huge boon for any platform in spite of much of GAF's objections to it.

It obviously can't sell a system on it's own
(Vita means dead)
but Nintendo clearly sees where the value in putting software on the portable market is. It might not ever be as big as the 3DS is thanks to mobile's ever continuing encroachment but they're riding this train into the sunset.

D.Lo

And now i realize we are never going to have a reveal as beautiful as the 3DS one ��
True but my overall point remains. Looking at home consoles only:

Wii -> Wii U - how the fuck did the same company do both of these?

Wii U -> Switch - how the fuck did the same company do both of these?

It's a 180 followed by a 180. Some unprecedented bizzaro symmetry.

3DS reveal was indeed pretty crazy, but it fell apart way before launch, primarily battery life and price reveals. And it's not quite as big a deal overall, since it didn't fall from DS because of merit, but primarily because of massively shifting market conditions due to the entire tech world changing due to smartphones.

Nilaul

I LOVE MY SWITCH! I just wanted you to know how much I love my Nintendo Switch. My precious Switch. So precious.

Buggy Loop

So that we have more negativity than positivity?

Let me guess that this is an alt and that would were probably jumping of joy with PS4 success..

spectator

That photo tells me that if you give a bunch of footballers who are bored on an airplane free portable game consoles, they will probably smile for a photo for you. It doesn't tell me anything I can decipher about how much of a success the Nintendo Switch will or won't be.

Top Bottom