• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The photo that told me Nintendo hit a home run with Switch

D.Lo

Did I miss the memo that you're required to rewrite gaming history when posting in Switch threads?
You don't need to re-write history to know that the Wii was for grandmas only and sold no games and was lightning in a bottle. And the DS was lightning in a bottle also. Also probably the Game Boy and Famicom. The Switch is probably lightning in a bottle again too.

But apart from that, Nintendo has been on a clear downward trajectory since the 19th century and will go third party any minute because they've always been exactly like Sega.

You don't need to re-write history to know that the Wii was for grandmas only and sold no games and was lightning in a bottle. And the DS was lightning in a bottle also. Also probably the Game Boy and Famicom. The Switch is probably lightning in a bottle again too.

But apart from that, Nintendo has been on a clear downward trajectory since the 19th century and will go third party any minute because they've always been exactly like Sega.

Yeah the 8m that Mario Galaxy 2 sold? Grandmas were the ones that bought them. And don't forget the grandmas that bought the 35m copies of Mario Kart Wii. Wii sold no games.

That's one hell of a collection of lightning.

J@hranimo

Banned

Lmao never go full NeoGAF like this poster 😂

So much incorrect here it's wild. Really loving the effect of the Switch here lately.

Hermii

Nintendo is actually loosing money on the Switch because all their profits and more is spent to pay celibrities to endorse it.

JayEH

You guys think gaf is toxic now? Why don't you check the archives of the discussions in salons in the early 1900s. Gaf is tame compared to the hate Nintendo received then.

Anteo

Yeah the 8m that Mario Galaxy 2 sold? Grandmas were the ones that bought them. And don't forget the grandmas that bought the 35m copies of Mario Kart Wii. Wii sold no games.

Thats like a 7% attach rate! Some vita games have better attach rate than that! Awful sales for a mainline mario game, Nintendo will go third party any time now.

The ability to shut out everyone and lounge while still being able to play Mario Kart on the go proves that they hit a home run.

C_ug1NUUMAArT5B.jpg

I havent seen anyone handle a console/handheld with so much swag. Amazing.

Nintendo should invite her to the E3 Arms OR Splat2n invitational.

Yeah, Nintendo paid for the endorsement. Thats also the reason the whole team dress like twins. The club gets paid for all that this.

Barca-2.jpg

b16c890547bf438a942625382ebdc09f.jpg

Same reason the whole team drive Audi's, the get them for free.

random25

You know guys, if it's a paid advertisement we'll see more of an official TV commercial, poster, billboard, brand logo, or any of those stuff. Like that jeans or that car, as they are official sponsors of the team. None so far has been shown for the Switch as is. Better wait for an official ad before calling it paid marketing lol.

They could have gotten it for free. But that does not mean they are paid for that pic.

So much incorrect here it's wild. Really loving the effect of the Switch here lately.
Dude, it's a parody. Sarcasm is harder in text when it's subtle but that one is blatant as hell. "These four massive successes in a variety of market conditions across thirty years are all flukes?"

Platy

To be fair I only realize that person was joking on the second sentence =P

It is getting hard to see these days xD

pringles

I know the smartest way to promote Mario Kart is to get Barcelona FC to tweet about it.. wut.

As someone who was just on vacation, the Switch has revolutionized plane rides. I don't think Nintendo will need to pay sports teams to use the console on their plentiful flights. This machine will keep getting free advertising like this because it's just that good.

AniHawk

Switch seems to be doing well starting out and I'm just wondering what's making the difference in how people think about it?

People are saying "I can play this anywhere now," but really the Switch is just a very powerful handheld. It's a handheld being marketed as a console. It's basically the same concept Sony tried. What's the difference? Actual 1st party support? The near-undivided attention of the 1st party development teams? The TV connection capability? The stand letting people play it in sort of a "mini TV-and-controller" configuration?

nintendo's first video for switch is an amazing first impression. in three minutes it shows the many applications of the platform and why it's different from anything else on the market.

i compare it to sony's first psp ads. before there were racist dust bunnies and racist squirrels, sony had a similar ad campaign that is only now making me realize that the 00s had a very distinct style we are now a decade out from. like the switch ad it shows all different kinds of people having fun with it, playing different kinds of games and watching movies and listening to music basically anywhere. you don't need to say anything about it because it's self-explanatory.

the ps vita tried the same thing with the concept of console gaming on the go. their launch commercial was some white dude paranoid that someone was out to get him, with shitty music and only one game shown. then a guy says it's console-level gaming on the go because unlike the psp ad, it's not self-explanatory. and this is just one of the many fuckups sony made with the vita, but i think it was a doomed platform from the onset because i doubt even they knew what they wanted from it.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
nintendo's first video for switch is an amazing first impression. in three minutes it shows the many applications of the platform and why it's different from anything else on the market.

i compare it to sony's first psp ads. before there were racist dust bunnies and racist squirrels, sony had a similar ad campaign that is only now making me realize that the 00s had a very distinct style we are now a decade out from. like the switch ad it shows all different kinds of people having fun with it, playing different kinds of games and watching movies and listening to music basically anywhere. you don't need to say anything about it because it's self-explanatory.

the ps vita tried the same thing with the concept of console gaming on the go. their launch commercial was some white dude paranoid that someone was out to get him, with shitty music and only one game shown. then a guy says it's console-level gaming on the go because unlike the psp ad, it's not self-explanatory. and this is just one of the many fuckups sony made with the vita, but i think it was a doomed platform from the onset because i doubt even they knew what they wanted from it.

Nintendo has been spot on with marketing this gen (as in Switch). Its so good at capturing the soul, the spirit of the Switch in a way that we haven't seen Nintendo do since the Wii and SNES days.

As for Sony with PSP and Vita marketing, let's just say that it sold well despite marketing, not because of it.

Switch seems to be doing well starting out and I'm just wondering what's making the difference in how people think about it?

People are saying "I can play this anywhere now," but really the Switch is just a very powerful handheld. It's a handheld being marketed as a console. It's basically the same concept Sony tried. What's the difference? Actual 1st party support? The near-undivided attention of the 1st party development teams? The TV connection capability? The stand letting people play it in sort of a "mini TV-and-controller" configuration?
The dock and controllers come with the system and the games are built around it.
It is a powerful handheld but it's also a fairly decent console since it's like 2x Wii U.
It helps that it launched with what is basically the highest rated game in years and all of Nintendo's main teams are supporting it, yes. Vita never got that even if Vita fans argue otherwise. Uncharted by Sony's C teams isn't super strong support especially since that basically stopped after year 2 or so.

Nintendo's marketing has improved quite a bit...as in they actually have some. That's a bit factor in this too. The Switch even markets itself since you can take it to other people and it's easy to just set up a game and play multiplayer anywhere

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I know the smartest way to promote Mario Kart is to get Barcelona FC to tweet about it.. wut.

As someone who was just on vacation, the Switch has revolutionized plane rides. I don't think Nintendo will need to pay sports teams to use the console on their plentiful flights. This machine will keep getting free advertising like this because it's just that good.

thank god you don't have shit to say how nintendo tries to sell their console XD

Good marketing, good hardware with a unique hook and some good ass games.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
The ability to shut out everyone and lounge while still being able to play Mario Kart on the go proves that they hit a home run.

C_ug1NUUMAArT5B.jpg

It looks like someone knows what to do when haters are hating.

Torokil

Nintendo is the illuminati because every picture of people playing with a Nintendo product is a paid shill, as well as every Nintendo "fan" in this thread. I've also seen Reggie putting fluoride in our water.

I wouldn't call playstation consoles or nintendo handhelds lighting in a bottle lol, they sell well every gen. now the wii, thats a different story.

Nintedo home consoles have been in a downtrend, except for the wii. this is the reason why the new nintendo handheld, is also there next console, it's gotten to the point where they don't think home consoles are worth making, so they just added a cool way to play on the tv in there next handheld.

sam12

I don't understand the self congratulatory love letter topics popping up about owning a Switch. Just enjoy the system instead of giving into insecurity about owning one.

Top Bottom