• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation Vita In 2011-2012

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Amir0x said:
Even worse battery that 3DS? Seems that according to specs it's exactly the same bad battery as 3DS. 3-5 hours on both.
Considering the difference in power, I say it's impressive to see the battery life almost match or be on par with the 3DS.

Laguna

Banned
Amir0x said:
Even worse battery that 3DS? Seems that according to specs it's exactly the same bad battery as 3DS. 3-5 hours on both.

Sadly it isn´t. According to Sony Vita only lasts 3-5 hours when you use your headphones, brightness not at max and with WiFi beeing off. If you wan´t to play online or use PSN for example it will last considerably less.

Man

3DS and PSVita has equal amount of battery time according to both firms PR: 3-5 hours.
PSVita charges fifty minutes faster (2h 40min vs 3h 30min).

Laguna said:
Sadly it isn´t. According to Sony Vita only lasts 3-5 hours when you use your headphones, brightness not at max and with WiFi beeing off. If you wan´t to play online or use PSN for example it will last considerably less.

Iwata (about the 3DS):

"And if you set the backlight to the darkest setting, the battery lasts five hours, but the power save mode makes less of a difference then."

Man said:
3DS and PSVita has equal amount of battery time according to both firms PR: 3-5 hours.
PSVita charges fifty minutes faster (2h 40min vs 3h 30min).

I think they issue is the 'recommended' settings to achieve that specific life are different for both systems.

Whatever. The point is that both systems have bad battery life.

Shtof

StuBurns said:
Vanquish is twice the game both Uncharteds were combined, at a third of the length of either of them.
From a pure gameplay perspective Vanquish is actually a fun game if you play it on harder difficulties, and a far more engrossing 3PS than say, Mass Effect 2, which feel very limiting when it comes to movement and has clumsy controls and cover system.

Put up against Uncharted 2's single player, I'd say they're pretty even(still only gameplay), but as a package, Uncharted 2 comes across as so much more. While unleashing a flurry of punches on a Romanov may feel more rewarding than being chased around the Tree of Life by a serbian madman, the sheer length, variety and set pieces of Uncharted 2 evens out the single player experience.

Parch

I'd never buy 2 versions of the same game but we've seen with the PSP that Sony will make completely new versions of their popular franchises for their portables. That will continue with the Vita.

No doubt there's going to be ports, but there's going to be a ton of exclusives as well. The quality, quantity, and variety of games for the Vita is the least of my worries.

Amir0x

Banned
Laguna said:

? That's the exact same as 3DS. If you use online wifi mode on 3DS, the battery life is decimated and is considerably less than the 3-5 (I think I get 2 hours max when wifi is on my 3DS, I expect the same for Vita).

We know these limitations. This is the problem with all modern handheld technology that are within a certain size, since the battery cannot get any bigger and battery technology is stuck in this weird limbo.

The battery life, as far as has been reported by anyone, is exactly as bad on Vita as it is on 3DS. Which is to say the battery life is equally sucky on both. There is no difference.

We're stuck either buying battery packs like the NYKO thing or just charging every other five minutes

Emitan

Amir0x said:
? That's the exact same as 3DS. If you use online wifi mode on 3DS, the battery life is decimated and is considerably less than the 3-5 (I think I get 2 hours max when wifi is on my 3DS, I expect the same for Vita).

We know these limitations. This is the problem with all modern handheld technology that are within a certain size, since the battery cannot get any bigger and battery technology is stuck in this weird limbo.

The battery life, as far as has been reported by anyone, is exactly as bad on Vita as it is on 3DS. Which is to say the battery life is equally sucky on both. There is no difference.

We're stuck either buying battery packs like the NYKO thing or just charging every other five minutes
And it's the same battery life I get on my PSP-1000. Sure it sucks, but this is nothing new if you owned a PSP before.

Amir0x

Banned
Billychu said:
And it's the same battery life I get on my PSP-1000. Sure it sucks, but this is nothing new if you owned a PSP before.

Yup. Battery technology needs to be fixed goddamn it :(

Edit: Although it is nice to hear the charging speed is a little faster for Vita anyway. That'll make the process, er, 2% less painful or something :/

Amir0x

Banned
warpaint said:
what is with portables and short battery life??

It's battery technology. Battery technology has hit a sort of ceiling right now for which companies have been pouring millions into research to try to solve and have still as yet been unable to drastically exceed the battery power/size ratio we have at the moment.

Back when PSP first launch I remember reading about the money Sony had been pouring into battery R&D, but still not much of an improvement all these years later. It's a difficult problem for sure. If we want new handhelds to do new things at all, we have to accept that the battery life will continue to be in this range for a while. It's either that or increase the size of these portables to include even larger batteries, but then the system wouldn't be very portable at all :p

warpaint

Amir0x said:
It's battery technology. Battery technology has hit a sort of ceiling right now for which companies have been pouring millions into research to try to solve and have still as yet been unable to drastically exceed the battery power/size ratio we have at the moment.

Back when PSP first launch I remember reading about the money Sony had been pouring into battery R&D, but still not much of an improvement all these years later. It's a difficult problem for sure. If we want new handhelds to do new things at all, we have to accept that the battery life will continue to be in this range for a while. It's either that or increase the size of these portables to include even larger batteries, but then the system wouldn't be very portable at all :p
That's all true and i understand that but it still bug's me no end

elty

It is more like Vita game will be much more demanding than 99.9% of those iPhone games. I wonder how long does the iphone last when playing demanding games like infinity blade? Can't really find any real benchmark done on that.

Emitan

Blame physics, too. If we miniaturize stuff too much, the laws of physics actually break down and the device doesn't function. That's some shit.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't think it's a good argument that battery technology is struggling. It's true, but it's also true the PSV could be a lot deeper. This isn't a phone, Sony have already decided you aren't putting this in your pocket, but they haven't committed to putting in a larger battery, and I don't really understand why.

Personally I don't care, there's a cradle, so I'm happy with 3/5 hours. I think both companies are kind of accepting they aren't competing with phones as portable devices, so they need to justify their existence as a middle ground between a phone and a console/PC. And that can certainly be done. Apple have sold about thirty million iPads, and they've significantly more expensive.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Hopefully we're not too far from a proper battery solution.

Scientists at MIT recently unveiled a game-changing energy technology that would make charging smartphones and other electronic devices obsolete. And they’ve done it by replacing the standard lithium-ion battery with a mini-generator – one that’s powered exclusively by heat.

Generating Power From Solar Cells… With No Sunlight

You see, 92% of all the energy we consume involves heat. That’s why MIT scientists have turned their attention to photovoltaic (PV) cells. Basically, they’re using solar cells to generate power from heat instead of sunlight. More specifically, it works by aiming a heat source at a thermal emitter. The emitter then radiates heat to the PV cell to generate electricity. But so far, this process suffers from one major flaw: wasted energy.
The problem is, existing PV cells can’t absorb all of the heat waves sent their way. So they’re not very efficient. But MIT’s scientists have developed a new system that allows them to control heat wave behavior and filter only those waves needed to power a PV cell.

And with this new upgrade, they were able to create a button-sized generator that packs three times more juice than a lithium-ion battery of the same size and weight.

Transforming Excess Heat into Everlasting Power

MIT’s confident it can soon triple the current energy density levels in the cells.
As one scientist says, “At that point, our [thermal] generator could power your smartphone for a whole week without being recharged.”
Not bad.
And considering all electronics give off their own heat sources, it’s only a matter of time before this technique can be used to siphon unused heat waves directly from other devices, too.

In other words, this technology has the potential to generate everlasting power!
As Fast Company puts it, MIT has pushed the “efficiency up so far that thermal PV cells are now a viable alternative to all sorts of other tech… [They] could replace the battery in your cell phone, and it may also be used to scavenge wasted heat from almost anything that normally dumps it into the environment, from your TV’s electronics to your car’s engine.”
Bottom line: Science is progressing rapidly and we might not be far from the day most electronics – even electric vehicles – run solely on their own heat at all times.
Understandably, the profit potential should be enormous for a company able to create an endless power source with zero need to plug into the grid. Rest assured, we’re tracking the space closely. So stay tuned.

apana

Billychu said:
Blame physics, too. If we miniaturize stuff too much, the laws of physics actually break down and the device doesn't function. That's some shit.

So what you're telling me is that Vita could possibly destroy the universe?

Emitan

StuBurns said:
I don't think it's a good argument that battery technology is struggling. It's true, but it's also true the PSV could be a lot deeper. This isn't a phone, Sony have already decided you aren't putting this in your pocket, but they haven't committed to putting in a larger battery, and I don't really understand why.

Personally I don't care, there's a cradle, so I'm happy with 3/5 hours. I think both companies are kind of accepting they aren't competing with phones as portable devices, so they need to justify their existence as a middle ground between a phone and a console/PC. And that can certainly be done. Apple have sold about thirty million iPads, and they've significantly more expensive.
The deeper it is, the harder the rear touchscreen will be to use.

apana said:
So what you're telling me is that Vita could possibly destroy the universe?
No. The Vita GO will.

Amir0x

Banned
StuBurns said:

Well I'm glad they haven't went that route. I sure as hell don't want these portables to be any bigger. The iPads are Ipads, I want an actual portable handheld. Even Vita is just too big. 3DS is the right size. But as Vita is touching the upper limit, it can still fit in a pocket.

There is a distinction between portables and consoles and the reason is portability. If you take away portability, you might as well just be a console at that point.

3~5 sucks, but it's not the end of the world. It is what it is. I'll keep waiting for the battery tech to get there, one day they'll solve it.

theBishop

Banned
Meisadragon said:
Yeah, but the Vita requires more power I guess, so it evens out.

Right, it just goes to show the difference in power draw. Also, I think Nintendo has a lot more flexibility to improve battery life. A redesign with a few extra millimeters of bulk (filled with lithium), could easily add 2 hours to the 3DS.

SkylineRKR

Even GT seemed to have lost significant terrain in Japan. They do really need a MH of their own. Those games, along with Pokemon and Mario Kart pretty much sell systems for years to come.

jackdoe

Beam said:
Pretty much. But Sony also needs a strong portable IP. Or strong IP in general that is not GT. Platformer/RPG type of an IP.
Outsource Legend of Dragoon 2 to Level 5. Hahahaha. Maybe they'll even buy back the Crash Bandicoot name or we'll get an actual good sequel to Jak and Daxter. Hahahaha.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Having paid zero attention to anything Vita, I'm quite disappointed in the image quality suggested by the screens on offer. Almost everything looks slightly poly-starved. I know condensing the pixels/OLED and all that makes a difference, but I was really was expecting more graphically.

It's like the OG PSP in that hat hardware never impressed me.

FoxSpirit

Father_Brain said:
Grain of salt, but SamBishop is claiming on another forum that RE and Lost Planet, along with other Capcom IPs, are coming to Vita. RE is supposedly based on the cancelled RE Portable and is "location-based," whatever that means.
Lost Planet should be little surprise as it was used as a tech demo to show off the Vita's power.

Also, since battery tech won't catch up, personal chargers ftw!! Sure, not perfect but I grew up on using all sort of things to power my portables. Old times, here we come ;-)

jackdoe

DaCocoBrova said:
Having paid zero attention to anything Vita, I'm quite disappointed in the image quality suggested by the screens on offer. Almost everything looks slightly poly-starved. I know condensing the pixels/OLED and all that makes a difference, I really was expecting more.
That has less to do with the system and more to do with the developers. I mean, you'd think the PS3 and 360 were poly starved if you looked at screenshots of HD PS2 ports.

AgentChris said:
What could the Level-5 RPG be? Dark Cloud 3 or a new IP?

They develop so many games that it would be impossible to really predict what that'll be. But DC3 would be more of Sony's decision than L5's.

Top Bottom