• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation Vita In 2011-2012

neptunes

A portable CoD could be good, they just have to focus on the Local Multiplayer portion of it.

How many Vitas can link up for multiplayer?

Riposte

Vita + PS3 = Going online with a friend in Call of Duty much less annoying. Could be a good marketing point if they make it work, I guess.

18-Volt said:
Lacks killer apps, system sellers, original new games. Full of ports... Vita needs games like PSP had, giant names, Crisis Core, GTA games, Portable Ops... Nintendo 3DS have a nuber of killeapps/system sellers already (RE: R, Kid Icarus, KH3D, MH4), and somebody must announce some big exclusive title to Vita as soon as possible.
Give it some time, Vita isn't even out yet. Developers never announce every project they're working on. There's already more announced games that I'm excited for than what the original PSP had before its release. Portable Ops wasn't announced until E3 2006, over a year after PSP was already out.

SykoTech

Mrbob said:
Gravity Daze looks awesome. With the current output of SCEJ we should expect to see it in 2015? Maybe 2014 if we are lucky?!

I know you're joking and all, but SCEJ's output on handhelds is much quicker than on consoles. It'll be out by next year.

Well i am still hyped but i think i might just wait til the USA launch to get a Vita, just for uncharted and i don't even know if there will be english voice options , rather not risk it.

though if i was fluent in Japanese I would have imported with lots of games, heh , add at least english sub titles for these launch games :mad:

VanWinkle

I really hope the developers of Escape Plan reconsider their touch-only controls. I would like at least an option to use dpad/buttons. I would love to get the game - awesome art style and concept.

I can't really see from the TGS build what Teramoto (of Cellius) meant when he said that Ridge Racer would have a new art style. I also don't see how sound/music is affecting the environment, which was supposed to be a new feature.

Can't complain about having what basically looks like portable RR7, but I lament for what could have been.

theBishop

Banned
VanWinkle said:
I really hope the developers of Escape Plan reconsider their touch-only controls. I would like at least an option to use dpad/buttons. I would love to get the game - awesome art style and concept.

Based on the latest previews, they seem to be "reconsidering" everything about the controls. They're experimenting with a bunch of different input options.

Has Valve ever said anything about developing for the Vita? It seems to address many of the complaints that Gabe had about the PS3 initially.

StuBurns

Banned
As I quite liked Amir0x's post above, thought I'd do the same:

BioShock
This is both the most intriguing PSV announcement so far, and the most frustrating. Irrational want to move to a two game pipeline, so presumably this will be the 'down' title while they're in preproduction for whatever the next massive budget title is. Levine said it's something he's been wanting to make for a long time, but they haven't had a platform fitting it till now. I don't really see how that can be true. Other than rear touch, I don't think there is anything liberating in game design coming out of the PSV, although maybe I'm mistaken. Regardless, BioShock is one of the best games this generation, SS2 was masterful, so I will buy whatever he makes at this point.
Broken
Might be dead, I can't find a mention of it post-NGP event. I quite liked the video that was shown of it, while I am the first to admit 'room escape' game design is terrible, there is something fundamentally enjoyable for me to investigate an environment like that.
DJMax Technika
I hadn't even heard of this franchise till a week ago, and I'm not saying I will without doubt buy it, it depends on the soundtrack, especially if I'm importing it. Elite Beat Agents is second only too TWEWY in the DS library, and the videos of the game in arcades looks a lot like that game.
Escape Plan
It's pretty, this is the most likely that'll actually skip when the time comes, but it's on my radar.
Extreme Escape Adventure
I haven't finished 999, it's in my 3DS gathering dust this very moment, I'll get back to it, I like it a lot. Seeing a spiritual sequel announced is very nice. Someone could argue I could buy it on 3DS, and I could, but 999 never came out in Europe, and the 3DS is region locked.
Final Fantasy X
An awesome game, I was pretty sure at one point that I wouldn't buy something on PSV if it was on PS360/PC, but this is like an ideal game for me to break that. The smaller the screen, the less egregious those textures are going to be. I think it'll look great on PSV.
Gravity Rush
I actually think this is going to disappoint a lot of people. They hype is already reaching fever pitch on GAF because it's very pretty, and I'm sure it'll be fine, but in terms of gameplay I've actually not seen anything that really excites me.
LittleBigPlanet
I really like the first two, I even liked the PSP one, a little anyway. I'm more interested in this because I want to see how good that studio's design work is. See if I ever should have been as giddy over Metronome as I once was.
Lumines: Electronic Symphony
I've played Lumines pretty much every day for the last three years, I hate the title, but other than that, I'm practically moist.
Malicious
If it comes over, I always really wanted this to come to PSN, if Sony didn't do that just to put it on PSV worldwide, bad form, but I'll buy it anyway.
Persona 4: The Golden
I wasn't crazy about Persona 3, I tried 4 and liked it a lot more, but I didn't finish it, so I'll give it another try.
Rayman Origins
What's a relatively high resolution OLED screen worth without a 2D platformer with great art? Not buying this would be an insult to Sony's pretty screens.
Sound Shapes
Everyday Shooter was really good, very much in line with the Q games I've loved. In fact it's vaguely EEE-like, but much better. This new game I'm very excited for, it looks fun, and the music is great.
Super Stardust Delta
I liked the PS3 one quite a bit. It's no GeoWars though.
Uncharted
Maybe, right now I'm not sure I'm getting 3, I'll see how 'gee whiz' it is when the time comes, but from the gameplay video we got yesterday, I'm less interested than ever in it.

Unlike most here, I'm not distasteful of the word port.

I have a gaming PC to play most of the relevant blockbusters of this generation. However there is a empty void, JAPANESE GAMES. So Capcom give me all your fighters NIS and Atlus I welcome Persona 4 and Disgaea 3, Vanillaware please ejaculate all of your 2D greatness on me, etc.

Until you guys put your stuff on PC (preferably Steam) I'm all open arms.

IllumiNate

ReaperXL07 said:
So can anyone guess at how likely it would be that we would even get the DJ MAX games for vita in the U.S? It's probably one of my most wanted games on the system so far so i'd like to know if I should even be getting my hopes up.

Dude Vita is region free

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
SolidSnakex said:
Has Valve ever said anything about developing for the Vita? It seems to address many of the complaints that Gabe had about the PS3 initially.
Probably depends on the install base I guess, but I don't think they're interested in developing for any portable.

ah i see play asia has updated with the Japanese Vita , but no price and since someone mentioned it was hard with raising the 3DS price a lot, hmmmmmm i'll wait and see

still hoping for $300-$350 shipped for the system from there

reading the comments, $325 minimum huh, it'll be close to $400 then , total :(

Dammit Sony...
30nhnoi.png

Amir0x

Banned
StuBurns said:
As I quite liked Amir0x's post above, thought I'd do the same:

BioShock
This is both the most intriguing PSV announcement so far, and the most frustrating. Irrational want to move to a two game pipeline, so presumably this will be the 'down' title while they're in preproduction for whatever the next massive budget title is. Levine said it's something he's been wanting to make for a long time, but they haven't had a platform fitting it till now. I don't really see how that can be true. Other than rear touch, I don't think there is anything liberating in game design coming out of the PSV, although maybe I'm mistaken. Regardless, BioShock is one of the best games this generation, SS2 was masterful, so I will buy whatever he makes at this point.
Broken
Might be dead, I can't find a mention of it post-NGP event. I quite liked the video that was shown of it, while I am the first to admit 'room escape' game design is terrible, there is something fundamentally enjoyable for me to investigate an environment like that.
DJMax Technika
I hadn't even heard of this franchise till a week ago, and I'm not saying I will without doubt buy it, it depends on the soundtrack, especially if I'm importing it. Elite Beat Agents is second only too TWEWY in the DS library, and the videos of the game in arcades looks a lot like that game.
Escape Plan
It's pretty, this is the most likely that'll actually skip when the time comes, but it's on my radar.
Extreme Escape Adventure
I haven't finished 999, it's in my 3DS gathering dust this very moment, I'll get back to it, I like it a lot. Seeing a spiritual sequel announced is very nice. Someone could argue I could buy it on 3DS, and I could, but 999 never came out in Europe, and the 3DS is region locked.
Final Fantasy X
An awesome game, I was pretty sure at one point that I wouldn't buy something on PSV if it was on PS360/PC, but this is like an ideal game for me to break that. The smaller the screen, the less egregious those textures are going to be. I think it'll look great on PSV.
Gravity Rush
I actually think this is going to disappoint a lot of people. They hype is already reaching fever pitch on GAF because it's very pretty, and I'm sure it'll be fine, but in terms of gameplay I've actually not seen anything that really excites me.
LittleBigPlanet
I really like the first two, I even liked the PSP one, a little anyway. I'm more interested in this because I want to see how good that studio's design work is. See if I ever should have been as giddy over Metronome as I once was.

Regards to Bioshock, I am really wondering what went on behind the scenes with that deal. But I am somehow suspicious that it'll ever come to existence. I think it'll be another Oblivion situation. Maybe Ken Levine and Irrational Games would be waiting to see how Vita does before they decide to really put the effort toward a Bioshock portable, but if it does exist and it's actually by them... I don't know how I could resist. The "portable revolution" would be merely playing an authentic audio/visual Bioshock experience on the go. Can you imagine a game that looks as amazing as Bioshock Infinite on the screen of your tiny VITA? Good lord... I might have eyegasms right there in public.

I'm not sure what Broken even is. I even tried looking it up and I can't seem to pin it down. What was the details of its gameplay?

Re: Extreme Escape Adventures - Why would one even try to argue to get it on 3DS? It's not even a system wars thing. Let's say you definitely decided to get it, the one for Vita is bound to look better and play better, so you might as well stick to that. It's just the way the hardware is. One is significantly better designed.

Final Fantasy X has always been a bottom tier FF for me personally. The second time I played through it I found I gathered a bit more of an appreciation for its battle system, but its woefully easy to break the balance, and when you combine it with the fact it was the first portent of doom for the FF series vis-à-vis extreme corridor linearity, it's hard for me not to look down on it. It also introduced voice acting, which in FFX's case was a disaster. So many poorly acted scenes, at least in English. The story itself was bad enough without having to suffer the voice acting. At least you could turn that off though. Still, I might get it. I reaaaally want to encourage Squeenix to bring me that FFXII HD International. I'd feel dirty about it, but I'd do it!

As far as Gravity Rush, I don't personally feel it's all that pretty, particularly from a technical point of view. I think it looks really fun to play, and when you factor in the pedigree of the developer, I think there's a fairly good reason to be optimistic. There is a grand sort of approach to the concept with the character whipping and whirring past upside down cities and chunks of planet, and the only thing I'm particularly concerned about is the 'combat' which seems just sort of dull at the moment. I don't know if it'll be AAA (because launch window titles so often suffer from being rushed), but I think there is certainly plenty of reasons to think it looks compelling other than its middling visuals.

Also mind blown @ LittleBigPlanet being made by the City of Metronome people. I remember seeing that and thinking it looked compelling. Kinda makes you wish Sony would have funded THAT to be their Vita game instead of LBP :p

StuBurns said:
Lumines: Electronic Symphony
I've played Lumines pretty much every day for the last three years, I hate the title, but other than that, I'm practically moist.
Malicious
If it comes over, I always really wanted this to come to PSN, if Sony didn't do that just to put it on PSV worldwide, bad form, but I'll buy it anyway.
Persona 4: The Golden
I wasn't crazy about Persona 3, I tried 4 and liked it a lot more, but I didn't finish it, so I'll give it another try.
Rayman Origins
What's a relatively high resolution OLED screen worth without a 2D platformer with great art? Not buying this would be an insult to Sony's pretty screens.
Sound Shapes
Everyday Shooter was really good, very much in line with the Q games I've loved. In fact it's vaguely EEE-like, but much better. This new game I'm very excited for, it looks fun, and the music is great.
Super Stardust Delta
I liked the PS3 one quite a bit. It's no GeoWars though.
Uncharted
Maybe, right now I'm not sure I'm getting 3, I'll see how 'gee whiz' it is when the time comes, but from the gameplay video we got yesterday, I'm less interested than ever in it.

Just imagine how insane Lumines: Electric Symphony is going to be on that OLED screen. The audiovisual experience is prooooobably going to give me Ecstasy flashbacks or some shit.

Can you elaborate a bit more on Malicious? It looks ok but I'm not sure I should get excited about it yet.

Totally agree about Rayman Origins. At this point I think I'm getting the 360 and Vita versions of Rayman, unless I find out I can transfer the cloud save from PS3 version to Vita version, in which case I will do it that way. First time I can think of I where I will probably purchase multiple platform versions of something, except in the rare case back in the day when two "multiplatform" versions were essentially two different games (as was the case with some old handheld 'ports' of console games back before handhelds could emulate consoles with any veracity).

By EEE, you mean Every Extend Extra? Fucking love that game. Not sure Sound Shapes reminds me of it, but still... if it was anything like that, I'd cum.

What didn't you like about the Persona games?

And as for Uncharted, you seem even less enthusiastic than I am. Like way less. I thought the first Uncharted was just decent... but I certainly felt the second game was pretty good example of what I call "spectacle gaming", which is just like a series of carnival events where every scene is trying to one up the spectacle that came before. There is merit in this if you're a graphics whore. As for the gameplay, I've always come down in two places. One, I genuinely do think the gunplay feels right. It's satisfying to shoot enemies and in multiplayer specifically, the "ching" sound effect when you take someone out makes me absolutely salivate from joy. However, there is no multiplayer online component of Golden Abyss so that makes it worthless. But the second thing is that the platforming is garbage. The automated platforming in titles like Uncharted and Enslaved NEEDS TO END. It's not fun, developers. If you want to just rope me in and hold my hand why don't you just do the scene in a cutscene because you clearly don't trust me enough to play.

In the end, Uncharted is good enough for me to buy because of its visual prowess and because of its gunplay, but it'll never achieve true greatness until it drops the cock holding platforming.

Amir0x

Banned
Untold Legends was like what I imagine Diablo would have been like if instead of allowing anyone talented to work on it you just gave it to Gary Busey and poured out enough cocaine to keep him grind programming for six months.

NightHawk17 said:
Viewtiful Joe would be beautiful but sadly:(c

It sure would....god I wish Viewtiful Joe :(

jackdoe

theBishop said:
After seeing that screen, Vita needs an Okami.
Okamiden port or sequel? Or Okami port? Either would work and the system was meant for it. Though it might be too easy with proper touch screen controls.

Jarmel

Banned
chubigans said:
The point of the Call of Duty Vita game, I should mention, is that it HAS to be a brand new game. If it's just a port of Modern Warfare 3, I absolutely agree with you. But if it's a new game, with new and classic maps and perks, well, it would really only need to win over a fourth of the current COD audience to be a big success for Vita.

That's the wrong way to go about it. Single player can be unique but the multiplayer HAS to be the same. This is crucial. Cross platform play between PS3 and Vita would be a major selling point. Nobody is going to play some portable exclusive version of MW3. What they will play is a version where they can continue to prestige if they go on a trip.

Amir0x said:
It's online play. I agree with you, CoD is not going to blow up. People don't want to play that type of online game on a handheld, because you have to be tethered to a decent wireless internet connection anyway. And in that case, you might as well play the console version on your HDTV and with 60fps and a always on internet.
You know, if Sony was really smart, they would make it connected to the PS3 game. That means when you level up on the PS3, you can continue playing and leveling up on the Vita, and vice versa.

Amir0x

Banned
we.are.the.armada said:
Just watched this in 1080 and hnggggggngggg such a good screen!

yup. Even the viewing angle seems insane. One of the reasons I think Vita will fail, besides the price, is that it's too big to really be called a 'portable' as far as I'm concerned. But goddamn with a screen that big and beautiful, it's sort of worth it...no? Jesus it's so pretty.

Beam said:
You know, if Sony was really smart, they would make it connected to the PS3 game. That means when you level up on the PS3, you can continue playing and leveling up on the Vita, and vice versa.

You mean if Activision is smart? It'd be the best way to ensure that the idea of cloud save/online integration works the best it possibly can given the circumstances. But I think what Vita needs to focus on is 'touch base' gaming, which is to say online experiences which do not require huge online latency. Like Civilization games or Scrabble. Actually, man, imagine if they included Scrabble online for Vita on day one? As a pack in? I mean, I don't know if it'd be a system seller but I know Scrabble online is the one and only game I play on my phone. I make a move with my letters and then my fiancee will do her turn, and it requires very little online bandwidth and is absurdly addictive.

Amir0x said:
Like Civilization games or Scrabble. Actually, man, imagine if they included Scrabble online for Vita on day one? As a pack in? I mean, I don't know if it'd be a system seller but I know Scrabble online is the one and only game I play on my phone. I make a move with my letters and then my fiancee will do her turn, and it requires very little online bandwidth and is absurdly addictive.

Then they need to get Bejeweled then :p

Amir0x said:
Oh my god. OH MY GOD

Former Pikmin staffers...oh god I hope that's not just lipservice and it's going to translate into the TALENT of the former Pikmin staffers into making a rad Pikmin-esque game because....

....that'd be the biggest killer app of all killer apps for me personally lol

The game also looks surprisingly good when you see it on the Vita's screen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP48LaDW1u0

theBishop

Banned
Amir0x said:
Vita needs to focus on is 'touch base' gaming, which is to say online experiences which do not require huge online latency. Like Civilization games or Scrabble. Actually, man, imagine if they included Scrabble online for Vita on day one? As a pack in?

Would be a good reason to get the 3G model.

Squalltdx

It just dawned on me after watching a SFxTekken vid that there was something missing among the fighting games announced so far for the Vita. There's no Tekken yet from Namco. A part of me was expecting to hear something about TTT2 or some version of it coming to the system at TGS. Hopefully we hear something about it during the coming months. Considering what they did on the PSP, it should be interesting to see what they can pump out on the Vita.

Amir0x

Banned
Infinite Justice said:
Then they need to get Bejeweled then :p

Sure, although I think Scrabble is more ubiquitous. But what do I know, Bejeweled is probably more popular in game terms.

But what I'm thinking is that Sony's online focus needs to be on games which require limited online bandwidth, so stuff like Call of Duty wouldn't be ideal. Anything that requires you to be tethered to your home for the proper online experience is sort of redundant IF there's already a home console version that is likely superior to boot.

I'd love playing Civilization Online with Vita...

SolidSnakex said:
The game also looks surprisingly good when you see it on the Vita's screen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP48LaDW1u0

Wow that really DOES look like an Evil Pikmin game! I don't know if I'd say it looks 'surprisingly good', but it's certainly sufficient if it's going to play anywhere near as amazing as a Pikmin title. Solidsnakex, you just made my day, week, months and possibly year (and I needed it, it's been a hard year with my sick sister and mum).

I'm *swooning* here. I'd e-hug you, but I don't do that ;)

theBishop said:
Would be a good reason to get the 3G model.

That's the version I'm getting.

BladeoftheImmortal said:
You know what would be great? Trackmania Vita.

Oh man, Trackmania Vita would be incredible. And Touchscreen Track creation like they have in ModNation Vita? Fuck yes plz.

Squalltdx said:
There's no Tekken yet from Namco.

3DS Betrayalaton'd Vita and got the Tekken portable fighting game you desire.

jackdoe

Squalltdx said:
It just dawned on me after watching a SFxTekken vid that there was something missing among the fighting games announced so far for the Vita. There's no Tekken yet from Namco. A part of me was expecting to hear something about TTT2 or some version of it coming to the system at TGS. Hopefully we hear something about it during the coming months. Considering what they did on the PSP, it should be interesting to see what they can pump out on the Vita.
Ironically enough, they'll probably port Tekken X SF. Haha.

Amir0x said:
You mean if Activision is smart? It'd be the best way to ensure that the idea of cloud save/online integration works the best it possibly can given the circumstances. But I think what Vita needs to focus on is 'touch base' gaming, which is to say online experiences which do not require huge online latency. Like Civilization games or Scrabble. Actually, man, imagine if they included Scrabble online for Vita on day one? As a pack in? I mean, I don't know if it'd be a system seller but I know Scrabble online is the one and only game I play on my phone. I make a move with my letters and then my fiancee will do her turn, and it requires very little online bandwidth and is absurdly addictive.
I should have elaborated. I meant Sony should moneyhatting Activision to do this.

Top Bottom